3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 248 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by djreddog
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 64 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5BB57B72-4BF5-4150-82DA-8A9B17C1ADA2 (resized).jpeg
45CC70A2-F976-48A7-AB55-0BE60E5A374C (resized).jpeg
739244AB-E6F3-4A69-981F-75F797AEE59A (resized).jpeg
4B75EDC9-246F-4875-AC9D-A0F56310C5F4 (resized).jpeg
DD9B6197-C9B2-451C-9E0D-694BCFEE5CDC (resized).jpeg
02B9BD7F-56E6-47C5-8E57-DD3DFF507842 (resized).jpeg
Amiga-3000UX-melancholy.png
CC9A1FCB-F0CF-4A40-88EA-05C2A48339C9 (resized).jpeg
4B.jpg
4A.jpg
3B.jpg
3A.jpg
2B.jpg
2A.jpg
1B.jpg
1A.jpg

There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 2 years ago

Also have one of those micro joysticks ...Size of a "Loonie" canadia dollar eh

4 months later
#202 2 years ago

I figured I would BUMP this OT thread. It is all Commodore (not necessarily Amiga-specific) related. I have the following for sale:

Commodore Model 1084S-P monitor (built July 1988)
Commodore Model 1084S-P monitor (built November 1989)
Commodore Model 1084 monitor (built December 1987)
Commodore 128 Computer System
Commodore 1571 Disk Drive

All items are in good working condition. The monitors are great for the Amiga sync rate as well as accepting composite signals. As shown below, they have a Blu-Ray player connected to them for the Mad Max images. In addition to the original Commodore disks I have various software that will be included as well. Feel free to PM with any interest or questions. Thanks.

Brad

1A.jpg

1B.jpg

2A.jpg

2B.jpg

3A.jpg

3B.jpg

4A.jpg

4B.jpg

9 months later
#203 1 year ago

Any chance someone has an amiga 1200 or amiga 4000 for sale ?

#204 1 year ago
Quoted from marcd:

Any chance someone has an amiga 1200 or amiga 4000 for sale ?

I'd say look on ebay, but holy crap.. neither up there (a few a500's). Are they getting that rare?

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'd say look on ebay, but holy crap.. neither up there (a few a500's). Are they getting that rare?

They are more rare in the US. There is a couple for sale in the UK but I would prefer the NTSC version.

#206 1 year ago
Quoted from marcd:

They are more rare in the US. There is a couple for sale in the UK but I would prefer the NTSC version.

for compatibility? i remember most of the games i played at least were imports from the uk halfway through its lifecycle. by kickstarter 1.3 you had 2 versions, one for ntsc and one for PAL. you were usually happy when it was pal because you got what, an extra 100 lines of pixels? i remember early on we had to keep adjusting the pot in the back to shrink the screen. so often our pot snapped off from jamming a screwdriver in, so my dad being an electrical guy messed around with resistors until the screen was the correct shrink and just installed a toggle switch.

#207 1 year ago

Some of my favourite times as a kid traveling to the computer shows with my buddy.
One time we went to the computer show and then checked out the star trek convention show all in the same day...heaven!

#208 1 year ago

Is anyone excited for the commodore mini? Out in Europe but coming to the US in October

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/7/23/17605438/c64-mini-thec64-mini-release-date-us

#209 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Is anyone excited for the commodore mini?

Nope... the keyboard is merely decorative.

How am I going to:
10 print "Zitt... Roxs"
20 goto 10
run

??

1 week later
#210 1 year ago

Sure, and maybe now I can dump my NIB 30-in-1 joystick before they tank in value...

amazon.com link »

#211 1 year ago

Geez, how did I miss this thread?!!! My buddies and I all had C64s in high school. I started college in the fall of 1985 and one of my friends said "Commodore has a new computer coming out. It's called an Amiga." After dropping out of college I joined the military. I finished all my training and I was in Phoenix waiting for orders. I had saved up my paychecks, enough to buy an Amiga 1000. That's late 1986 I think. I brought it home while on leave and my friend went nuts...we spent several late nights gaming, although I only could afford a few games (along with a few I got for free): Mindwalker, Moebius, Marble Madness, Mean 18, Defender of the Crown, Little Computer People, and The Bard's Tale. I took the system with me when I was sent to Korea for a year and it was a big hit with my fellow airmen. When I returned to the states, I picked up F-18 and it was hugely popular on my airbase.

Later I sold the A1000 to buy an A500 as I was having problems with the A1000. I wish I could have kept it, but I wasn't making a lot of money back then and needed the money to "upgrade" and put towards games. I went on to waste a lot of time with Indy 500, Captain Blood, Faery Tale Adventure, Battle Chess, The Chaos Engine, The Three Stooges, Shufflepuck Cafe, Ultima 5, and at least one pinball game (but I don't recall which one). Eventually it started collecting dust when Commodore went bankrupt and I got into PC games.

I still have the A500 upstairs in my game room, although it's not currently hooked up. I'll have to go through my games and see what I still have...

#212 1 year ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

we spent several late nights gaming, although I only could afford a few games (along with a few I got for free): Mindwalker, Moebius, Marble Madness, Mean 18, Defender of the Crown, Little Computer People, and The Bard's Tale

My older brother had a friend that was a huge pirate. He'd get pretty much every game by downloading them off BBS boards. I think a lot of software companies struggled because of this.

Quoted from Jackalwere:

Later I sold the A1000 to buy an A500 as I was having problems with the A1000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember the A1000 having a hardware issue that made it less reliable (guru meditation black and red screens galore). That may have been what drove A500 sales. It was more reliable, cheaper, more compact, more ram, slighty better CPU.

#213 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

My older brother had a friend that was a huge pirate. He'd get pretty much every game by downloading them off BBS boards. I think a lot of software companies struggled because of this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember the A1000 having a hardware issue that made it less reliable (guru meditation black and red screens galore). That may have been what drove A500 sales. It was more reliable, cheaper, more compact, more ram, slighty better CPU.

Yeah, I remember all the crazy copy protection attempts..."what is the fifth word on page 12 paragraph 2 line 4 of the manual", or the crazy wheels that made you line up the cutouts...then there were the hardware dongles, and snarfed boot sectors to try to prevent copying. There was always some enterprising person to develop a way to crack the copy protection. I tried to purchase most of my games in order to help support the software market, and I think that you are right in saying that software companies struggled with it. I think it stifled development and caused some games to be ported from DOS rather than re-written to take advantage of Amiga's superior architecture.

And you aren't wrong. I had several guru meditation issues with my A1000. I don't think it was expandable past 512k, didn't have a hard drive, and had trouble running Kickstart/Workbench 1.3...it was an easy choice to ditch it at the time but now I'm a bit nostalgic for it.

#214 1 year ago

I bet not many people will remember that there was a game rental market for the C64, mail order and sometimes locally. I think it was pretty much accepted that you would rent the game and copy it. I remember my dad renting games from some mail order place, wish I knew what the company was, surely they haven't existed in decades. The games would arrive in the full box, etc. We'd copy the ones we could, play the others. I don't exactly lose sleep at night over it, but I think it would have been better for industry if we/folks did NOT do that.

#215 1 year ago

I remember renting games at a location never in the mail. But did the same thing copy what I could and return them when done.

Just got my old amiga 1000 our of storage. Still works great. Some of the floppy’s are toast tho.

CC9A1FCB-F0CF-4A40-88EA-05C2A48339C9 (resized).jpeg
#216 1 year ago

In high school, one of my buddies worked at the Electronics Boutique in the mall. His manager would let them bring home a box of new titles every weekend and we'd all sit around and copy them before re-shrinking them and putting them back on the shelves. It was all fun and games until a customer got a virus from a "new" game they bought.

#217 1 year ago
Quoted from emkay:

In high school, one of my buddies worked at the Electronics Boutique in the mall. His manager would let them bring home a box of new titles every weekend and we'd all sit around and copy them before re-shrinking them and putting them back on the shelves. It was all fun and games until a customer got a virus from a "new" game they bought.

Lol. I didn’t realize viruses really went around in the early days too.

I don’t remember rental places but I do remember the mail order places with photocopied lists of games as their inventory. Pretty sure some of them weren’t selling legit copies.

#218 1 year ago

Pretty cool reliving these stories through all that has shared. I sold my Amiga 500 for some wheels for my car in HS.

#219 1 year ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

I bet not many people will remember that there was a game rental market for the C64, mail order and sometimes locally. I think it was pretty much accepted that you would rent the game and copy it. I remember my dad renting games from some mail order place, wish I knew what the company was, surely they haven't existed in decades. The games would arrive in the full box, etc. We'd copy the ones we could, play the others. I don't exactly lose sleep at night over it, but I think it would have been better for industry if we/folks did NOT do that.

Man, I forgot about those rental places! And yeah, it would have been better for companies if people bought the software. OTOH, if they hadn't charged $40 a game (which was a lot of money back then) people would have been able to afford it. Software companies were basically shooting themselves in the foot with their high prices.

#220 1 year ago

Now that I have all these confounded pinball machines, I don't know where I would put my A2000... If I still had it! Loved that thing. Started with the A1000 where I learned Tripox (Unix), got an A500 and then an A2000 HD. Many good memories. Still would love to play those old Psygnosis games again.

#221 1 year ago
Quoted from pb456:

Now that I have all these confounded pinball machines, I don't know where I would put my A2000... If I still had it! Loved that thing. Started with the A1000 where I learned Tripox (Unix), got an A500 and then an A2000 HD. Many good memories. Still would love to play those old Psygnosis games again.

I’ve mentioned it before in this thread but take a look at Amiga Forever. It’s a paid emulator (cheap) that makes it easy to play the games. You can do it for free as well but the package they put together saves a lot of time and works without further configuration. It also includes legal licensed copies of kickstart and the OS. Only emulator I ever paid money for.

https://www.amigaforever.com

#222 1 year ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I’ve mentioned it before in this thread but take a look at Amiga Forever. It’s a paid emulator (cheap) that makes it easy to play the games. You can do it for free as well but the package they put together saves a lot of time and works without further configuration. It also includes legal licensed copies of kickstart and the OS. Only emulator I ever paid money for.

Crap, I may have to buy that. I grew up with C64, missed the Amiga era, although I recall going in WaldenSoftware and seeing the amazing graphics screencaps on those Amiga game boxes. I've thought, wouldn't it be fun to get a 500 and play a bunch of the popular old games. Although I try to avoid emulation (collect mostly arcade games), this looks like a good package.. Thanks

#223 1 year ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

Crap, I may have to buy that. I grew up with C64, missed the Amiga era, although I recall going in WaldenSoftware and seeing the amazing graphics screencaps on those Amiga game boxes. I've thought, wouldn't it be fun to get a 500 and play a bunch of the popular old games. Although I try to avoid emulation (collect mostly arcade games), this looks like a good package.. Thanks

There is a C64 version too. Also you can add other games you download so you aren’t limited to the package.

#224 1 year ago

Hmm, starting at only $10. I might have to try this. I mean the emulators work fine with a little work, but it'd be nice to also have the original workbench too.

#225 1 year ago

Yeah me too...may try as well. Premium edition (physical software) I --50 bucks. The software that comes free 5 or six games includes pinball.

#226 1 year ago

So many memories, I still have 4 A500, 1 A1200 and 2 CD32 consoles.

#227 1 year ago

So I went ahead and bought the $10 value edition. Interface is really nice, even makes floppy disc noise as things load (so you know something is running and it's not locked up). Games included are in .rp9 format.. If you add .adf (files downloaded from the net are commonly cracked and compressed in this format), it doesn't seem to show up in the list (but if you double click the file, it IS associated with the program). The value edition locks you out of certain amiga versions (A500 seems to work fine, but A500 plus or A1200 do not). Now, don't think that if you buy the low version you're screwed. They allow you to upgrade without paying extra (IE if you buy value edition, you can upgrade to plus for $20, or in essence the same $30 if you bought the plus version to begin with), so if you're iffy which version, it's ok to start with the lowest one. It windows by default, but if you hold esc for one second you get your windows mouse back, and you can click on full screen.

Biggest thing I noticed is how low the resolution is (even though they did a lot of anti-aliasing), it's so sharp on a modern screen you see every dot. Also some load times suck, and it's not always clear if you can skip intro screens (not the emulator's fault, that's the way it was back then). I'm amazed I was so patient back then.

#228 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

So I went ahead and bought the $10 value edition. Interface is really nice, even makes floppy disc noise as things load (so you know something is running and it's not locked up). Games included are in .rp9 format.. If you add .adf (files downloaded from the net are commonly cracked and compressed in this format), it doesn't seem to show up in the list (but if you double click the file, it IS associated with the program). The value edition locks you out of certain amiga versions (A500 seems to work fine, but A500 plus or A1200 do not). Now, don't think that if you buy the low version you're screwed. They allow you to upgrade without paying extra (IE if you buy value edition, you can upgrade to plus for $20, or in essence the same $30 if you bought the plus version to begin with), so if you're iffy which version, it's ok to start with the lowest one. It windows by default, but if you hold esc for one second you get your windows mouse back, and you can click on full screen.
Biggest thing I noticed is how low the resolution is (even though they did a lot of anti-aliasing), it's so sharp on a modern screen you see every dot. Also some load times suck, and it's not always clear if you can skip intro screens (not the emulator's fault, that's the way it was back then). I'm amazed I was so patient back then.

FYI you can turbo drive some titles while they load which makes them load faster. When in window mode the option is at the bottom. It can cause an error on some games but usually works when the option shows up.

1 month later
#229 1 year ago

Found a retro bit gameboy emulator for sale at my local convenience store. Wanted 60 bucks.
Pretty funny

#230 1 year ago

Debating about creating info thread on the pandora pcb . Decided to keep it here.
I have an arcade cab ready for the adapter that allows seamless jamma hookup kind of regret not buying the original version. The bootleg does not store highscore saves or allow a favourites list.

#231 1 year ago

Oh man. I wonder how many of the Future Crew demos run well on that that thing... would almost be worth the full priced one if they had them and they work correctly.

1 month later
#232 1 year ago

I had an A1000, A500 and A2000HD - loved them all. Now I see there's a "Vampire 4" board in the works, that has the complete and then some A2000 experience sans 880K floppies? I'm stoked!

#233 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Debating about creating info thread on the pandora pcb . Decided to keep it here.
I have an arcade cab ready for the adapter that allows seamless jamma hookup kind of regret not buying the original version. The bootleg does not store highscore saves or allow a favourites list.

IF you take the time and get an emulator that has the titles on SD, say Digital Elf, there is a way - and I know it because I've done it and I'm using it - that you can copy the SD to image, and create new partitions, edit a few config files, and set the XMAME system to save those precious high scores to that same SD card. Bad news? Quit to the main menu before you kill power. That's it.

#234 1 year ago

Amiga 3000UX, I believe the only Amiga I've never seen 'in the wild.'

Brad

Amiga-3000UX-melancholy.png
#235 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ya, I had a buddy that got everything off BBS and later use-net. I still think one of the most impressive Amiga games was 'IT Came from the Desert'. I had more fun with the A500 than just about any toy I ever had!

#236 1 year ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Ya, I had a buddy that got everything off BBS and later use-net. I still think one of the most impressive Amiga games was 'IT Came from the Desert'. I had more fun with the A500 than just about any toy I ever had!

Great game. On Steam you can download and play it for PC if you want to relive the memory. They sell it for next to nothing along with other similar games in a package.

#237 1 year ago

Great game. On Steam you can download and play it for PC if you want to relive the memory. They sell it for next to nothing along with other similar games in a package.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out!
I also should add that if I sampled a pirated game and liked it, I bought it. I never believed in screwing over hard working developers in a niche market that I enjoyed. That is just stupid! Even today, I will not pirate music. Musicians get screwed bad enough as it is these days. If you like it, BUY IT!
Cheers!

#238 1 year ago

The best hockey simulator of all time is still Wayne gretzky hockey ...it's 2018

3 months later
#239 9 months ago

Bump to keep thread alive

#240 9 months ago

is anyone interested in an amiga 500 & 1084 monitor? I purchased it last year off of ebay and never got around to setting it up. I will verify that all is working but I really don't have the space for it. everything is really nice shape

#241 9 months ago

Took a trip to Walmart today. Wife said I'm going to look for bowls. I said meet me at electronics section. Picked up commodore 64 mini. .beyond cool

#242 9 months ago

Returned mini with the news of a full size functional keyboard replacement coming soon by same company. Mini was ok but game selection was kind of lame aside from winter,world,summer games and impossible mission series.

3 weeks later
#243 8 months ago

Found a mini on Kijiji for 50 bucks...hardly used, couldn't resist . May as well have both versions .
Nib at walmart $99 so at least I saved 50 bucks.

1 month later
#244 6 months ago

Get your geek on! Just arrived today the Konami gameboy Hyperboy. Turns the gameboy into a mini arcade and magnifies image. Better quality than I expected and speakers/joystick work great. Super cool!

02B9BD7F-56E6-47C5-8E57-DD3DFF507842 (resized).jpeg45CC70A2-F976-48A7-AB55-0BE60E5A374C (resized).jpeg4B75EDC9-246F-4875-AC9D-A0F56310C5F4 (resized).jpeg5BB57B72-4BF5-4150-82DA-8A9B17C1ADA2 (resized).jpeg739244AB-E6F3-4A69-981F-75F797AEE59A (resized).jpegDD9B6197-C9B2-451C-9E0D-694BCFEE5CDC (resized).jpeg
#245 6 months ago

I would also change my opinion of the mini 64 games selection. Many more games are excellent. Great buy although the joystick is chinsy

#246 6 months ago

Why not buy the real thing, I own 2 amiga 500s and 6 C64. You can hook sd drives to them and have every game on one sd card. 2 of my C64 are modded with the duel sid chip and I added reset button and fans to the vic, and sid chips.

#247 6 months ago

Wow Konami made that bad in the day?

2 months later
#248 3 months ago
Quoted from j_m_:

is anyone interested in an amiga 500 & 1084 monitor? I purchased it last year off of ebay and never got around to setting it up. I will verify that all is working but I really don't have the space for it. everything is really nice shape

Interested. PM sent.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 87.00
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Boards
PinSound
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 89.99
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside