17415491-F1CF-42AD-9426-862F460BC27A (resized).jpeg
05972161-8ADF-48D1-BDA8-3286F29DFA31 (resized).jpeg
F989D4CC-D92A-48E4-B438-C77CE18B7735 (resized).jpeg
588FEA08-3C37-412B-B0FD-BA7C5CD013A4 (resized).jpeg
6F226155-4D31-4EE5-9E8A-4AFF2F7DFD83 (resized).jpeg
FBF66024-A007-46B5-843A-EA2DF66D47AA (resized).jpeg
0DF0849E-D599-45E4-8B9D-4249281D2A7E (resized).jpeg
06A2B363-9895-4FC7-9A2D-34BB819EC441 (resized).jpeg
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 7 years ago

i own several Commodore stuff:
c16,vic20,c64,c64c,c128,A500,A500+,A600,A1200,A2000,CD32,CDTV, Commodore 386 SX16 (with WIN 3.11) + all kind of accessories,drives,floppys,tapes,joysticks, monitors and,and,and......

i still need an A1000,A3000 and A4000, then i think i stop collecting (yearhh right)

+ all my Sony,Sega,Nintendo,Atari and Arcade stuff....

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Oh god, I almost forgot the Bard's Tale. Many days spent at this:

Ah! This, Master of Magic, Pools of Radience and Might and Magic was my first RPG's on C64

#103 7 years ago

I enjoyed the Ultima series. Need your blue tassels!

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

i own several Commodore stuff:
c16,vic20,c64,c64c,c128,A500,A500+,A600,A1200,A2000,CD32,CDTV, Commodore 386 SX16 (with WIN 3.11) + all kind of accessories,drives,floppys,tapes,joysticks, monitors and,and,and....

What, no SX64? I had a 128D I got rid of last year or I'd send it to ya!

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

What, no SX64? I had a 128D I got rid of last year or I'd send it to ya!

You`re right, i forgot this one...of course i need a SX64 also

BTW i also have the 128D in my collection ,thx for your offer

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I agree - but man I could rarely get out of the hospital on It Came From the Desert.

Yup, that was really hard to do

#107 7 years ago

I still have an A4000 and a few A500's laying around. Also a C128 and a few C64's and a VIC20. Also a CDTV and CD32!

Commodore fanboy since age 10.

Unfortunately, UAE emulator is so darn good, even on a PI3!

My favorite games were: Shadow of the Beast series, Killing Gameshow, Return of the Jedi, Sex Olympics, Another World, DOTC, Xenophobe. There's probably thirty more.

I used the Amiga for creative stuff more than games, but like gaming, I wasn't good creatively, either, with the exception of Vistapro... I mastered that program! (there's a modern PC version of Vistapro still available, which I own)

I bought my first Amiga in 1991 (A500 with 1MB fastRAM and 512K Chip RAM OS 1.3) along with about 1,000 floppies and an external floppy drive. The guy pirated all the games, but purchased the major ones like Deluxe Paint IV and Digi View (yes, the color wheel still image digitizer). I had an AmiGEN genlock for video titling, it was an awful genlock.

I bought a brand-new A2000 with OS 2.04 and 1MB Chip RAM, 2MB fast RAM and 100MB HDD when I went to college a year later. I sold my A500 to help pay for the new machine. I bought a ROM switcher and installed a switch, so I could still play old games on OS1.3.

I bought an A4000 long after college, long after I had a decent Pentium IV PC, for $125 which had a Video Toaster 4000 and DPS TBC IV in it!

Storage:
The A500 soon got a 40 (50?) Megabyte GVP snap-on SCSI HDD with 2MB Fast Ram (I think I upped it to 4MB at some point)
The A2000 just kept getting larger SCSI hard drives, sourced from the MIT (Boston) Flea Market
My A4000 currently has a 320GB IDE in it, I really don't need more than that on an Amiga, LOL.
A4000 has an old IDE Ricoh 4X CD-RW drive in it.

Speed:
The A500 got no love, though I lusted after the 14Mhz 68000 "AdSpeed" chip.
The A2000 quickly got a CBM 68020/20 with FPU/MMU (2MB Fast) card. Eventually, I got a CBM 68030/25 with FPU card (4MB ZIP Fast RAM).
The A4000 remains stock (68040/25) with OS 3.9 and 8MB Fast RAM (2MB Chip?)

Video:
Digi View was replaced by a Digital Designs DCTV (still have it). I made dozens of Vistapro DCTV animations, including learning how to use ClariSSA to stream from the HDD, that was amazing stuff on my eventual A2000, soon fitted with a 68020-20 (years later, 68030-25)
My A2000 had a Video Toaster and one TBC, couldn't do A/B roll, but it was fun!
Eventually I ended up with an A4000 with Toaster 4000 and two TBC's (MIT Flea Market once again) (still own)

Audio:
I bought an 8-bit stereo audio sampler (Sunrise "PerfectSound") that could sample at a then whopping 40khz (mono, 20k stereo) for the A500
That was followed up by a GVP DSS-8, eventually replaced by a DSS-8+ (56k stereo 8bit (still own))
For the A4000 I have a 16-bit sound sampler (name escapes me) with software in German! (44.1khz stereo (still own))

Comms:
9,600 bps external modem (Multitech) A500
MIDI for A500
33.6 kbps external (upgrade) A2000
56kbps external US Robotics V.everything (with X2 firmware?) (still own)
10-base-T Ethernet card for A4000

I still use Amiga software in the winter, when I'm feeling nostalgic. I have the composite video adapter, and also a scan converter for VGA.
I still have those ugly box mice. They are very expensive on eBay!

Amiga Forever on Windows 10 is also a nice kit. Worth purchasing, some of the funds help preserve things that are Amiga.

#108 7 years ago

The Bards Tale series have to be my favorite games of all time. Was sad when I beat them..but did it on the C64/128.

Amiga games, loved the Pygnosis games like Blood Money and SOTB but they were too darn hard. Cinamaware stuff was the greatest.

Remember Pagestream? That was a great program.. funny we waited forever for them to release the last version (3.0?) Like a pre-order pin by the time I got it had lost all interest.

#110 7 years ago

My best friend had a commodore 64. My parents got an apple II. I broke mine out recently and bought some fresh floppies. Smelled like the 80s

Attach40028_20160910_130145 (resized).jpgAttach40028_20160910_130145 (resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

My best friend had a commodore 64. My parents got an apple II. I broke mine out recently and bought some fresh floppies. Smelled like the 80s

You can still buy 5.25 inch floppies?!?

#112 7 years ago

I cracked these open and one sniff brought back all the memories.
Retrofloppy.com and ebay!
Double sided double density... Way before 1.4mb

Attach38883_20160825_193244 (resized).jpgAttach38883_20160825_193244 (resized).jpg

#113 7 years ago

I ran into her on computer camp
Was that in '84, not sure
I had my commodore 64
Had to score

#114 7 years ago

SO many good games listed in this thread!

Quoted from toyotaboy:

I spent many hours playing friends on speedball2

Got way to good at this one!

Hilarious!

Quoted from marcand:

Moonstone was a favorite and of mine it should be ripe for a remake!

I remember being blown away by the graphics of Moonstone!

Some others that took up a lot of time were: Syndicate, Lemmings, Battle Isle, and Megalomania.

#115 7 years ago

Remember the company that ported Dragons Lair to the Amiga on sooo many disks also released Guy Spy...sort of Indy Jones/James Bond cartoon adventure/action.

#116 7 years ago

Winter games wasted a lot of my teenage years

#117 7 years ago

I almost forgot this one too. Weird since the C64 Spy Vs Spy theme is the ringtone on my phone and has been for years. It was always a quick and fun PvP game.

spy_vs_spy_02 (resized).pngspy_vs_spy_02 (resized).png

#118 7 years ago

Alien Breed: Tower Assault, Cannon Fodder, Pinball Dreams, Fantasies, and Illusions... I am sorry I missed the Vintage Computer Festival Midwest this year, it was the first time I hadn't gone with my sons in quite a few years.

Brad

ab2 (resized).pngab2 (resized).png

ab1 (resized).pngab1 (resized).png

cf (resized).pngcf (resized).png

pf (resized).pngpf (resized).png

#119 7 years ago

Great memories of attending many computer shows in the 80s..Me and my buddy would take a bus to downtown Toronto and we loved every minute walking around the convention centre with our goodie bags filled with computer stuff! My friend decided to mount the convention ctr computer show map in his room...lost touch but I wonder if he ever did find a girlfriend.

#120 7 years ago

Anyone have any games they are willing to Swap/trade/sell me or to the forum?

I have been through a huge lot of copied games, unfortunately 50% partially loaded or not at all. One of my favs is balance of power but it's unplayable because it constantly crashes. I'm old school with my collection so disks only. The working games I have are;
Wayne Gretzky hockey, life and death, boxing, ports of call, earl weaver baseball and all star teams disk. Earl weaver commissioner disk, turrican2,beach volleyball. None are original disks except earl weaver baseball.

Disappointed cannon fodder didn't work!

#121 7 years ago

Moonstone was a fantastic game and needs a remake. I liked lotus alot also.

Turrican great too. And Wings!

But my most beloved amiga game was north and south.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I still have my Moonstone CIB, its worth a small fortune nowadays according to the market

#123 7 years ago

KO2, alien breed, magic pocket, canon fodder, battle squadron... and much much more, just impossible to list all the good games we have on this machine

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

KO2, alien breed, magic pocket, canon fodder, battle squadron... and much much more, just impossible to list all the good games we have on this machine

Dont forget the SSI Gold Box series, classic brand on all the Commodore computers, or Ishar series, or Ultima series, or Ambermoon, Magic Candle series, Dungeon Master series, Questron, Phantasie.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I think you may be the only other person who played Wings. Man, that game was so good!

"We thought we were introducing into the world a machine that would make future wars obsolete"
-Wright

#126 7 years ago

Luzur.fishing must be good on the Gulf of Bothnia!

#127 7 years ago

All of the games listed above are games I'm looking for, especially balance of power..nightmare level bring it on!

#128 7 years ago

Complete Amiga 500 on kijiji for 300

#129 7 years ago

To continue with Amiga love, I currently have two Commodore 1084 monitors I have decided to sell that I could bring to Expo for pickup if anyone would be interested. I will see about getting details posted soon. Feel free to PM if you have any interest. Thanks.

Brad

#130 7 years ago

Is there any way to take an old Amiga floppy, and have it read in a WinPC?

I've got some old data, and it'd be nice to transfer them as "virtual disks" on the WinPC...to be read in an emulator. I haven't been able to find too much info on this, though.

Pete

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Luzur.fishing must be good on the Gulf of Bothnia!

LOL well yeah i still have my RPG collection after selling off my Commodore stuff, so...

IMG_1255 (resized).JPGIMG_1255 (resized).JPG

IMG_1256 (resized).JPGIMG_1256 (resized).JPG

IMG_1252 (resized).JPGIMG_1252 (resized).JPG

IMG_2008 (resized).JPGIMG_2008 (resized).JPG

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I've got some old data, and it'd be nice to transfer them as "virtual disks" on the WinPC...to be read in an emulator. I haven't been able to find too much info on this, though.

It's been years since I looked into it but my recollection is that PC floppy drives aren't 'smart' enough to read Amiga disks. I thought there were controllers available that allowed you to connect an Amiga drive to a PC but never used one.

#133 7 years ago

Has anyone been watching the AMC Series Halt and Catch Fire? One of the main characters, Joe McMillian, has had an Amiga this season. This week was the finale. Mini spoiler, the series jumped forward 4 years and Joe no longer has an Amiga. It appears that he has taken a liking to the Steve Job's Next computer. However Joe goes to the 1990 Comdex show in Vegas and a scene takes place with the Amiga booth in the background. Very cool to see the Amiga getting some placement in that series.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Pete

https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-118

#135 7 years ago

Just played "run the gauntlet" ..Amiga games are not short on difficulty

1 week later
#136 7 years ago

Spotted these behind an old cabinet. Good stuff!IMG_00006056 (resized).jpgIMG_00006056 (resized).jpg

#137 7 years ago

official guides that I authored back in the late 80s and early 90s (the chaos strikes back one [with a editing mock-up] was published by FTL Games, and the DM II one by Interplay. still sealed after 25+ years

god, how I wish that interplay had kept the original sprites that FTL did for DMII instead of sub-contracting it out to disney. I've still got an early beta lying around somewhere (with the protection dongle)

chaos strikes back and dungeon master II guideschaos strikes back and dungeon master II guides

#138 7 years ago

Wow just found this thread. Amiga nut here and have two 1200's with 030s, 3000, 2000 (with 030 and vid card), a stock 500, and three 1084 (one a s). Now to read this thread

#139 7 years ago

I ran a BBS back in the day on my A500 with a GVP combo 030 HD on CNet. What a blast the pre-internet days were trading games and chatting on Fido-Net. Walk down memory lane in this documentary on the BBS era:

#140 7 years ago

I ran a BBS on a TRS-80 model III originally. I wrote it in the late '70's or probably actually early 80's or close to it, and it even had cool features like you could vibrate the cassette relay inside the expansion interface to make the computer 'buzz' if you wanted to page the sysop.

In '84 or '85, I switched to the PC and can't remember the original BBS software I ran, but eventually went to FIDO and thought it was miraculous that you could send message for free across the country.

My first non-acoustic modem was a Hayes 300 baud, then I think a US Robotics 1200 baud, then 2400, then 9600, then 19200, then 38400.

My original terminal was a Heathkit semi-smart terminal that I built in the late 70's or very early 80's, which I would dial up and connect to systems with a Novation Cat 300 baud acoustic modem (a la - put the telephone into the modem and don't make any noise in the room). My favorite thing to do was dial into a system called SEMCO (Southeast Michigan Computing something), because they had a Star Trek space game, and a D&D game you could play online with other people.

Then in '92 I think I got a ISDN line which was a whopping 128k since it was 2 bonded B channels (64 k each). A friend of mine showed me AOL and the 'internet' and how to download these garbled text files that would assemble into a color picture. (I'll leave the content to your imagination).

Ah the good old days.

I had an Amiga 500 too. I remember that I built a "Bear Board" for it which gave it like 1mb or 2mb of memory. Played the BEST games, and I was floored when I downloaded the Star Wars AT-AT walker animation which took 2 or 3 floppy disks to load but ran SO smooth.

#141 7 years ago

Picking up a boxed,complete version of balance of power and boxed Jurassic park ,sim city, sim life games tomorrow. Pretty excited.. Jurrasic park looks pretty good. 25 bucks for all.. can't go wrong and close to my work for pickup. He says he purchased a separate b.o.p. manual that's included? Looking forward to seeing that.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Wow just found this thread. Amiga nut here and have two 1200's with 030s, 3000, 2000 (with 030 and vid card), a stock 500, and three 1084 (one a s). Now to read this thread

Welcome! This thread has been a great help for me in finding great games and is interesting to read the posts from writers/developers/fans. I remember computer class thinking how I wished it was an Amiga..great times/memories.. the games, programs and system have aged like fine wine.

#143 7 years ago

I started calling BBSes on my Commodore, first on a 300 baud modem that went in the cartridge port. I could out-type it and it wouldn't work unless propped up with a paperback book or something due to weak edge connectors, but it got me started. Don't remember what brands they were through 300-1200-2400 baud but my first 9600 was a Cardinal modem stolen from the factory by a security guard. I later worked there in tech support. The first BBS I ran was on Citadel K2NE on whatever PC I had before the 286, probably an 8088, with a pair of 5.25" 20 meg MFM hard drives - one full height, one half height. Later I moved them to an RLL controller and reformatted for 30 megs each. I had a USR Courier Dual Standard for a brief period but flipped it as only a few of my users could connect with HST anyway. The last BBS I ran had two lines at 33.6 on PC Express. A 486DX2-66 and DesqView allowed me to use the computer in the background and frequently the second line was tied up trading games over HS/Link for days at a time. Then I turned 18, graduated high school and never looked back. I threw away a couple dozen Colorado backup tapes filled with software and archives of my BBS around a decade later, but I still work in telecom and occasionally have to troubleshoot ISDN (It Still Does Nothing) circuits from time to time, although now I rarely touch anything under DS3.

I have the DVDs of that BBS documentary somewhere, it's fun to geek out on that now and then. Remind myself of how much of a pita FidoNET was to set up or how sad the PKZIP story turned out, things like that.

#144 7 years ago

Cool manual was purchased separately overseas. Great deal!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#145 7 years ago

Darn! Game loads via boot disk but no mouse pointer?? Lame. I hear Nelson from the Simpsons laughing somewhere.

#146 7 years ago

I just whdload games and have them all. I do buy some boxed versions just to have, collect, and display but very few.

#147 7 years ago

I think my drive is pooched..

#148 7 years ago

ha, anyone remember technocop? It was sort of a car version of road rash mixed in with elevator action mode

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

ha, anyone remember technocop? It was sort of a car version of road rash mixed in with elevator action mode
» YouTube video

Yes! I remember the dead bodies looked somewhat weird and graphic all at the same time on that game.

#150 7 years ago

I seem to remember playing some of the D&D games on the Amiga 2000. Pools of Radiance?

There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attn-amiga-500-owners/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.