17415491-F1CF-42AD-9426-862F460BC27A (resized).jpeg
05972161-8ADF-48D1-BDA8-3286F29DFA31 (resized).jpeg
F989D4CC-D92A-48E4-B438-C77CE18B7735 (resized).jpeg
588FEA08-3C37-412B-B0FD-BA7C5CD013A4 (resized).jpeg
6F226155-4D31-4EE5-9E8A-4AFF2F7DFD83 (resized).jpeg
FBF66024-A007-46B5-843A-EA2DF66D47AA (resized).jpeg
0DF0849E-D599-45E4-8B9D-4249281D2A7E (resized).jpeg
06A2B363-9895-4FC7-9A2D-34BB819EC441 (resized).jpeg
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 7 years ago

Now is the time to get joysticks. I'm thinking a pair of Wicos but haven't decided yet.

#52 7 years ago

I always liked the Epyx joysticks.

#53 7 years ago

I agree.. I forgot obout the epyx handheld! Great joystick

#54 7 years ago

the epyx xj 500....I am not worthy.

#55 7 years ago

Mail arrival status of class A parcel (containing Amiga modulator and rare games)

eta: tomorrow 11:08 am eastern standard time. Relatively clear Weather pattern holding for morning.

..mail lady may decide to drop off personally cause we're on good terms and I always get stuff.

should I leave a sign on the mailbox saying not come to my house??
Option 2: send a drone up around 10:45am?
Option 3: pickup mail as if nothing is to arrive?
Option 4: call mail sort terminal and request a pre alert, go directly up the chain

#56 7 years ago

I loved the XJ 500... I bought a Wico ErgoStick first but the dildo-rubber case kinda freaked me out.

#57 7 years ago

I use the Kraft joysticks on my 800XL, C64, A1000/2000/3000/4000. Works great for all of them. Wish I could use it on an Intellivision, those controllers suck, and the overlays get trashed really easy.

1 week later
#58 7 years ago

Scored 2 epyx joysticks by fluke and red necked the Amiga into an arcade!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#59 7 years ago

I loved my Amiga. Moonstone was a favorite and of mine it should be ripe for a remake!

1 month later
#60 7 years ago

Balance of power and port of call..a crazy strange ocean shipping simulator are games I have played alot lately...my buddy has an Amiga and gave me a copy of world beach volleyball...great game and we laughed when we saw the nude girls on the beach sidelines! Also played turrican 2 ...pretty hard but brilliant design..kudos to all the developers on this thread. It would be great for any developers to provide a list of the games involved in. I will definitely try them all.

#61 7 years ago

I always loved barbarian II when the skull dude popped out.. because you're sitting there waiting for the first disk to load the next level in memory, and all of the sudden that pops out

#62 7 years ago

I ran a BBS called The Keep back in the late-80's, it was the HQ for Eclipse, which was based out of England. I still remember buying that first USRobotics 9600 HST. The BBS had to be up-and-running for a representative to call and login to get their SysOp special of $549. I would say 'those were the days,' but that would make me sound even older than I am.

Brad

#63 7 years ago

Old sink pipe working perfect to keep joystick panel open and beer does not spill from my custom holder!

#64 7 years ago

Can't say much about the game, but always thought this one had the best intro music...

#65 7 years ago

The Psygnosis games were always something to show friends and the playability definitely improved after Barbarian, which suffered from delayed reaction. Sword of Sodan was a classic that got a lot of play and even Dragon's Lair had people looking in disbelief at the time. Here was a great story from Michigan last year where an Amiga was/is still running HVAC for a school district there:

http://woodtv.com/2015/06/11/1980s-computer-controls-grps-heat-and-ac/

Brad

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from marcand:

I loved my Amiga. Moonstone was a favorite and of mine it should be ripe for a remake!

Awesome looking game ..have to try this one for sure

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Here was a great story from Michigan last year where an Amiga was/is still running HVAC for a school district there:
http://woodtv.com/2015/06/11/1980s-computer-controls-grps-heat-and-ac/
Brad

Very cool as I do BAS controls and an old Amiga fan.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

Or else you're likely to be eaten by a Grue.

And a slavering grue, at that.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I ran a BBS called The Keep back in the late-80's, it was the HQ for Eclipse, which was based out of England. I still remember buying that first USRobotics 9600 HST. The BBS had to be up-and-running for a representative to call and login to get their SysOp special of $549. I would say 'those were the days,' but that would make me sound even older than I am.
Brad

My BBS was one of the TRSi HQs around then... many fond memories. And the day I got my first Courier Dual Standard?

#70 7 years ago

anyone else remember playing a tank, capture-the-flag type game?
think it was called Firepower.
that, Weird Dreams (though i never made it anywhere at all), and Arkanoid were awesome.
Loved Dungeon Master and Sword of Sodan -thanks for the reminders! Barbarian too.
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja!
So many great titles.
Wings? King of Chicago? Them? (I think? about ants invading?)
I want an Amiga again.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

anyone else remember playing a tank, capture-the-flag type game?
think it was called Firepower.

Yes!

There was a similiar game called return fire on the 3DO system:

That game was so much fun because it had really good destruction sprites, and incredible bass.. In fact I remember my brother hooking up the computer to a nice amp and that game shook the house.

Quoted from Chambahz:

King of Chicago?

Yes! It had creepy realistic faces, but also great soundtrack

Or how about Deja vu? (a click adventure game about the mob)

Quoted from Chambahz:

about ants invading?

It came from the desert:

#72 7 years ago

Let us not forget Obliterator... Or Libyans in Space!

Brad

libyans_in_space (resized).pnglibyans_in_space (resized).png

obliterator (resized).jpgobliterator (resized).jpg

#73 7 years ago

How about alien breed?

Or Lotus challenge (stealing chika chika from ferris bueller). Great music, great graphics, and even split screen without slowdown

I spent many hours playing friends on speedball2

Or how about Archon? It was chess, but then before you could take over that piece, you battled it out as a last chance to defend yourself

#74 7 years ago

And two Cinemaware classics, Defender of the Crown and The Three Stooges.

Brad

defender_of_the_crown (resized).pngdefender_of_the_crown (resized).png
three_stooges (resized).jpgthree_stooges (resized).jpg

#75 7 years ago

Ok, here is some MOONSTONE for ya (contains violent images that were amazing way back when)

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Defender of the Crown and The Three Stooges

ironic you picked those 2 titles "hey this looks like a kid's game!"

#77 7 years ago

One of my favs was Artic Fox. The title screen played Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor by Bach. Kick ass game! It was the first 3D game I remember playing. The missiles had an on-board camera where you could fly the missile over mountains and kill a tank hiding on the other side.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

ironic you picked those 2 titles "hey this looks like a kid's game!"
» YouTube video

I completely forgot about that lead-in! Thanks for sharing as it took me back a few decades. I remember having communication with one of the programmers of DOTC while it was in development and I think it ended up being a much greater success than they had expected.

Brad

#79 7 years ago

Cinemaware games were the best. You guys have named a bunch, I'll throw in Rocket Ranger. Loved that one! Oh and also Sinbad. You rescued someone stranded at sea and they would say, "thanks" in a bad computer voice!

One of my very favorites was The Faery Tale Adventure. Man what a game!

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from brannonrad:

Cinemaware games were the best. You guys have named a bunch, I'll throw in Rocket Ranger. Loved that one! Oh and also Sinbad. You rescued someone stranded at sea and they would say, "thanks" in a bad computer voice!
One of my very favorites was The Faery Tale Adventure. Man what a game!

I agree - but man I could rarely get out of the hospital on It Came From the Desert.

I'm assuming everyone on this thread that doesn't still have an Amiga has tried Amiga Forever? Best $20 you can spend. Love it!

#81 7 years ago

We had an Atari ST. Basically the same experience but with a dedicated midi port.
My friends and I hooked it up to my dads big 36" flatscreen and played Dungeon master till 3:00AM every night.
Hated to turn it off.

#82 7 years ago

Maniac Mansion and Pirates! were a couple of my main games, not to mention anything Infocom - Planetfall, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Zork series, Leather Goddesses of Phobos, Infidel, the Enchanter series, etc.

Maniac_Mansion (resized).pngManiac_Mansion (resized).png

Pirates!_2 (resized).pngPirates!_2 (resized).png

#83 7 years ago

How about some savage?

Or stunt car racer (extreme version of hard drivin')

Or great giana sisters (super mario clone)

Or project X (a really great R-type clone)

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from dmilo:

I used to be an Amiga game developer in the late 80s. We made a few games and had lots of fun. It was very advanced for it's time.
I loved the Amiga.

Wait...what did you make??

Now I'm curious to know if I ever played one of your games...

#85 7 years ago

I still play Amiga stuff regularly...like Nuclear War, or just simply plowing through Prince Of Persia for the 1000th time.

Really had a soft spot for the Cinemaware titles, including the TV Sports Basketball and Football. (Really, compare those sports games to others at the time...real 5 on 5 basketball with editable players?? Awesome!!)

I remember taking a Hex Editor to change what the announcers said before/after the game and at halftime. 15 year old me thought it was hilarious to make Max McGill say "I'm not wearing pants!"

Music: Check out the intro to "Flood." It's still pretty cool. Agree that the others mentioned here also kick-butt.

Cripes...this is making me want to drag out my Amiga's and C64.

Pete

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from marcand:

Ok, here is some MOONSTONE for ya (contains violent images that were amazing way back when)
» YouTube video

I somehow missed Moonstone in my Amiga collection...looks pretty cool!

(Reminds me slightly of Death Sword/Barbarian II).

I miss those cartoony, lovingly-hand-drawn sprite deaths that are just so BRUTAL.

Pete

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

We had an Atari ST. Basically the same experience but with a dedicated midi port.

Those were fightin' words back in the day.

#88 7 years ago

Amiga arcade lookin fly! Fun project

#89 7 years ago

The Amiga video modulator has worked great for conversion. Anyone looking to buy/build an Amiga, make sure it's on your hit list.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

The company was called Digital Concepts and we did Torch 2081 (Qix), Lords of War (Warlords), Island of lost Hope (adventure game).

Here's a few screenshots:

Lords of War (resized).jpgLords of War (resized).jpg

IOLH (resized).jpgIOLH (resized).jpg

Torch2081 (resized).jpgTorch2081 (resized).jpg

#91 7 years ago

I spent a ton of time on Hillsfar. Always enjoyed the TSR/SSI games.
hillsfar_01 (resized).pnghillsfar_01 (resized).pngmain_097 (resized).pngmain_097 (resized).png

#92 7 years ago

One of my faves:

Fort Apocalypse - Commodore C64

c64 (resized).jpgc64 (resized).jpg

#93 7 years ago

One of my favorites.
Still have the tshirt that came with the game.

#94 7 years ago

I was one of the top-10 Commodore collectors in Sweden from, well the Commodore years up until a year ago, when i sold the entire collection (except 1 set of C64 and 1 set of Amiga 500 for personal use.), felt both sad and at the same time relieving aswell.

#95 7 years ago

Can anyone point me to an Amiga emulator for the original xbox? There was one out there, but I've never been able to find it. I'm dying to hook that up to my home theatre relive the good ol days.

In answer to the earlier question, yes, the Amiga was so far ahead of it's competition for so long no other console/computer has ever had that big a lead in the gaming world.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Lords of war: air-hockey type game smashing opponents castle with a skull ...thats why I love the Amiga!

#97 7 years ago

Oh god, I almost forgot the Bard's Tale. Many days spent at this:

bt-c64-guild (resized).pngbt-c64-guild (resized).png

#98 7 years ago

I'm taking my amiga 500 to the Houston show in November. Anyone recommend or can get me some games to run at the show for people to play?

#99 7 years ago

Funny this thread became so active, I recently hauled my 2000 out of the basement. Removed battery probably just in time, purchased video converter and it's running on a Sharp 80".... C64, Sega Genesis and Intellivision hooked up too. So many amazing games on those platforms. If you, Cinemaware games on the Amiga and C64 were so far ahead for the time.

There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attn-amiga-500-owners/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.