3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 248 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by djreddog
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 64 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5BB57B72-4BF5-4150-82DA-8A9B17C1ADA2 (resized).jpeg
45CC70A2-F976-48A7-AB55-0BE60E5A374C (resized).jpeg
739244AB-E6F3-4A69-981F-75F797AEE59A (resized).jpeg
4B75EDC9-246F-4875-AC9D-A0F56310C5F4 (resized).jpeg
DD9B6197-C9B2-451C-9E0D-694BCFEE5CDC (resized).jpeg
02B9BD7F-56E6-47C5-8E57-DD3DFF507842 (resized).jpeg
Amiga-3000UX-melancholy.png
CC9A1FCB-F0CF-4A40-88EA-05C2A48339C9 (resized).jpeg
4B.jpg
4A.jpg
3B.jpg
3A.jpg
2B.jpg
2A.jpg
1B.jpg
1A.jpg

There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 3 years ago

I started the thread looking for a couple of hard to find Amiga 500 disks. I was lucky enough to find them! Anyhow, I thought I would keep the thread open for further discussion/pics/games/tech help.

#2 3 years ago

In the interim, maybe this will help.

"With zero fanfare, the Internet Archive uploaded a new collection of software last week from the Amiga, a mid-80s personal computer famous for its impressive-for-the-time game graphics. The new collection is no tidy sum, either, with over 10,000 games, applications and demos. Whether this is the first time these items have shown up on the archive is uncertain, but should you want to relive a golden age of personal computer gaming, head over and play them straight from your browser."

#3 3 years ago

Do you have a link for this please?

Quoted from djreddog:

In the interim, maybe this will help.
"With zero fanfare, the Internet Archive uploaded a new collection of software last week from the Amiga, a mid-80s personal computer famous for its impressive-for-the-time game graphics. The new collection is no tidy sum, either, with over 10,000 games, applications and demos. Whether this is the first time these items have shown up on the archive is uncertain, but should you want to relive a golden age of personal computer gaming, head over and play them straight from your browser."

#4 3 years ago

Loved my Amiga back in the day - upgraded to the A1000 with plenty of boosted memory and opal Graphix. All very tame by todays standards, but so much fun in 1988. My son has an emulator downloaded on his PC with tons of software - www.romcollector.com/emulators-firmware-i-29.html

#5 3 years ago

Every so often I think about organizing an 8 player game of Warlords. We used to have such a blast taking our turns at the computer and enjoying the party when it wasn't your turn.

#7 3 years ago

I've still got my Amiga 1000, an A2000, two A3000's, and two A4000's. I'm gonna have to put 'em up on eBay one of these years. All except the A1000 of course. Gotta keep the top cover with all the Amiga Team's signatures molded in it.

#8 3 years ago

I too kept my A1000 with the signatures on the lid, original box and all. I think I sold the 2MB sidecar though. Battle Squadron FTW!

#9 3 years ago

I've still got my sidecar, but it's only got 1.5MB in it. I still have hundreds of games and applications for these machines. I saved my original boxes also, even the monitor box. In some areas of the world, the boxes are worth more to collectors than the machines themselves! Never could figure that one out...............

My favorite game was, and still is, Mindwalker. I still have a sealed, unopened copy of that game. Awesome game.

#10 3 years ago

I asked for a Macintosh/Apple, my Dad brought me home an Amiga 2000 with a modem. No complaints. Met a ton of new friends outside the USA. I miss the dial up tone.IMG_00001817_(resized).jpgIMG_00001823_(resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

Best gaming computer for its time period EVER?!?!?!?!

Still have hundreds of floppy's, but unfortunately both my internal and external floppy drives have given up the ghost on my A500. The floppy's are probably toast as well. Sorry OP I didn't have either of the games your requested.

A few of my favorites: Awesome, Shadow of the Beast, Warlords, Battle Isle, Nitro, Nuclear War, and Dungeon Master.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

My favorite game was, and still is, Mindwalker. I still have a sealed, unopened copy of that game. Awesome game.

Totally agree! I loved Mindwalker. Talk about a trippy game. And the sound was killer.

Alas, I dumped my A500 about 8 years ago. I immediately regretted it. There was a cool pinball game with a spooky theme... something like Stones and Bones.

#13 3 years ago

The Pinball Fantasies, Dreams, Illusions, games were pretty slick for their time. I upgraded to the Amiga 1200 for the AGA chipset and it had some gems too. Walker AGA was a fave.

#14 3 years ago

I traded through an Amiga 500 at one time. I had 4 Shure SM58 microphones (the industry standard) and a 4 channel mixer. I traded that for an Amiga 500. I kept if for a good while, but to be honest none of the games really stuck with me (unlike the C64 I had before it). So I traded the Amiga 500 off for a couple of boxes of comics. It had about every X book from 1986 - 1993. So first appearances from a lot of key characters. The New Mutants #98 (first appearance of Deadpool) made it all a worthwhile trade and then some.

The 3 Stooges and Defenders of the Crown is really all I remember having on the Amiga, though I know I had a lot more.

#15 3 years ago

Yep, nothing like a game of Bruce Lee on the 'ol C64. I still have 3 of those operational with 1541's and 1571's.

#16 3 years ago

Desert strike (return to the gulf) ..one of the best video games I have ever played.

Anyone remember a game called "another world" Fantastic game and brutally hard. Amazing concept, graphics and gameplay.

#17 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#18 3 years ago

I was an Atari ST guy, but I also owned an Amiga 500 for games and demos. Good times.

I find pinball reminiscent of those days. You would invite strangers to your house just because they owned the same computer as you. Same as pinball.

#19 3 years ago

Hey frolic did you ever go to comspec on dufferin st? I recall buying my earl weaver baseball game at Canadian tire back in the day.

#20 3 years ago

Other great games: impossible mission and impossible mission 2. Amiga Wayne Gretzky hockey
my friend also has an Amiga, we brought it out to the man-garage on the weekend and it was a big hit. Barbarian was a favourite.

#21 3 years ago

I owned a 500, a 2500, and a 600, all in the early 90s when I was around 16-18 years old. I was big on the TV Sports series of games, as well as Shadow of the Beast and Speedball 2.

#22 3 years ago

The Amiga was so ahead of its time. It's unfortunate Commodore couldn't figure out how to make more money with em.

#23 3 years ago

I got rid of my amiga 500A a loooong time ago.. at some point you just don't use it anymore, and I knew eventually emulation would bring me back to it.

"Say has anyone seen the mouse for my amiga?"
"Oh amiga! oh come on! there's a machine for ya! anyone seen my fat angus drive?"

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I am looking for the pinball series

you're probably thinking of pinball dreams / fantasies

someone has recreated all these tables on future pinball for the PC:

#25 3 years ago

Amiga was way ahead of its time. Was hugely popular in Europe, but seemed less so in the states from what I understand? I'm still proud to have been a tiny part of the Amiga demoscene in the early 90's where I met a huge number of fellow enthusiasts around Europe, travelling to parties and disk swapping via mail.

Pinball Dreams was made by a demoscene group 'The Silents', who later went on to form 'DICE' and have a couple of other games people might also know - such as Mirrors Edge or the Battlefield series.

#26 3 years ago

Can't wait for the Amiga modulator to arrive in the mail! Now I can start gaming a season of earl weaver baseball. Nice kijiji guy has copied the hard to find commissioners/teams disk and cannon fodder /Wayne Gretzky hockey as well for me. The modulator will allow color conversion to flat screen. Super pumped, like waiting for Santa to arrive!

#27 3 years ago

Does anyone remember the Video Toaster from NewTek?!?! A remarkable piece of software and hardware engineering!!
Back in the day I remember watching a promotional video narrated by Ken Nordine. It just blew me away. For a few thousand dollars it allowed video, imagines and effects to be produced which rivaled systems costing tens of thousands of dollars. Influences from Toaster and its contemporary descendant technologies like Lightwave 3D, Flyer and, Screamer are still felt today. Up until a few years back an iteration of the Video Toaster was still being produced. Of course, everything has shifted to digital from the old NTSC standard. But, NewTek is still around in the video production/management arena. I haven't followed them but it seems like they have some robust products including something call Tricaster. Anyway, It's really remarkable how far ahead of its time the Amiga and the Video toaster were.

I often hope that, that level of passionate, creative, ground breaking and dedicated engineering can be directed to pinball!

#28 3 years ago

Maniac Mansion and Zak McKrakin anyone?

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from GamesGuy5280:

Does anyone remember the Video Toaster from NewTek?!?! A remarkable piece of software and hardware engineering!!

wanted one of those so bad, but weren't they like $5k or something back then? Sure, many times cheaper than a studio switcher, but hardly affordable by most people.

Remember when celebrities like Penn Gillette and tony hawk were shilling the product?

Todd Rungren used the toaster

Babylon 5 also used the toaster for the 1st season

#30 3 years ago

I think I have one up in the attic..............
I'll have to check.

#31 3 years ago

I was a C64/C128 guy that graduated to the Amiga 2000... got many others to noon the cult, greatest machines ever.

They had a "soul" if that is possible for machines.

#32 3 years ago

The pinball series is rated very high ,,top 10 I recall in most greatest Amiga games. Considering the number of games, over a thousand of them, The pinball series is definitely on my hit list. A friend of mine also has an Amiga and prefers the new drive that allows downloads. I'm old school and like hearing that spinning drive and organizing my cool collection. I have owned many arcade machines and sold all but one. The Amiga is a perfect portable arcade machine that offers tons of great games that aren't typically offered on raspberry pi etc.

#33 3 years ago

I remember many heated discussions about how much better the Amiga was than the PC at the time... Heh, man oh man was I an Amiga religious zealot LOL...

We were confident the PC would never be able to truly emulate an Amiga too. Glad I was wrong about that part!!

#34 3 years ago

My favorite game was Blood Money. Best soundtrack of its time

I also fondly remember M! Tank Platoon and It Came From the Desert. Once I started watching the long play videos of people playing them for nostalgia's sake.

#35 3 years ago

In case anyone hasn't been keeping up, do a quick search for Amiga gotek floppy emulator.

#36 3 years ago

LOAD "*",8,1

I was so amazed by the amazing state-of-the-art "Commodore 64" computer my dad brought home with him one evening. Who in their 6-year old mind wouldn't adore a portal into a world where gunslinging, karate, and kicking blind people, old ladies and gorillas in the face were every-day occurrences?

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

LOAD "*",8,1

and now the exciting 5 minute wait while your game loads .

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

and now the exciting 5 minute wait while your game loads .

Unless you had the hacked version you downloaded on BBS, then it had built in compression to load in 3 minutes
(Queue rainbow static screen)

#39 3 years ago

Anybody else notice the Commodore influence on Rob Zombie's video mode with the car?

#40 3 years ago

JiffyDOS!

#41 3 years ago

This gets me all nostalgic, the Amiga 500 was my first computer and blew everything else away at the time.

Carrier Command from what I remember was particularly impressive.

#42 3 years ago

wow! talk about bringing back memories. although, for all of this talk about the amiga (and atari st), I can't believe that someone hasn't mentioned dungeon master and/or chaos strikes back! truly epic titles, and the first "true" color 3D dungeon crawlers

dungeon_master_(logo)_(resized).pngchaos_strikes_back_(logo)_(resized).png

dungeon_master_(resized).pngchaos_strikes_back_(resized).pngchaos_strikes_back_(3)_(resized).png

side note:
I authored both the official guides for chaos strikes back and dungeon master II

#43 3 years ago

Don't forget all those Infocom classic text games!

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

Don't forget all those Infocom classic text games!

Or else you're likely to be eaten by a Grue.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from GamesGuy5280:

Back in the day I remember watching a promotional video narrated by Ken Nordine. It just blew me away. For a few thousand dollars it allowed video, imagines and effects to be produced which rivaled systems costing tens of thousands of dollars. Influences from Toaster and its contemporary descendant technologies like Lightwave 3D, Flyer and, Screamer are still felt today. Up until a few years back an iteration of the Video Toaster was still being produced. Of course, everything has shifted to digital from the old NTSC standard. But, NewTek is still around in the video production/management arena. I haven't followed them but it seems like they have some robust products including something call Tricaster. Anyway, It's really remarkable how far ahead of its time the Amiga and the Video toaster were.
I often hope that, that level of passionate, creative, ground breaking and dedicated engineering can be directed to pinball!
» YouTube video

I was lucky enough to have a school that bought Amiga's. Back in '1991 if I an correct, the commercial art and media class updated with some new computer and purchased 20 or so Amiga's 500/2000's and a couple of video toasters. I remember making some 3d animations and waiting days for it to draw, so much fun! Made a few commericials with the toaster as well.

I myself owned an Amiga 1000, I think I still have it stored somewhere. TV Sports basketball was one of my favorite games.

#46 3 years ago

I remember interviewing wil wheaton when he worked for newtek for a monthly publication in michigan back in the day. I may still have the interview on a micro cassette. if I find it, I'll have to transfer it to an .mp3 (it would be a hoot to hear what kind of dumbass questions I asked him back in the day

#47 3 years ago

Are ya ready? (18 minute dance mix with graphics on two 720k floppies is damned impressive)

also honorable mentions:

#48 3 years ago

most of the demos that the groups released for both the amiga and atari st's were quite impressive given the restrictions

#49 3 years ago

wouldn't be an amiga thread without the juggler

#50 3 years ago

I used to be an Amiga game developer in the late 80s. We made a few games and had lots of fun. It was very advanced for it's time.

I loved the Amiga.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Customs
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 11.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 275.00
$ 69.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
€ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 149.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 249.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 244.99
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside