(Topic ID: 4347)

ATTN All New Owners and First time "fixers"

By The_Gorilla

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gorilla-and-games-tgif-la-7-7-11.jpg
    beer_toast1.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

So, I bought a VERY used Big Guns this week. It was in worse shape than I thought. It is so bad that I considered turning around and selling it even at a loss rather than even trying to refurbish it. Then I thought about 2 years ago when I had the person that I bought my first pin from come over to my house to see why a drop target wasn't dropping. It was a simple loose wire. I asked him about cleaning and waxing the field...

I didn't do any of this for another year.

Now, owning my 4 - 6th pin, I have my HS2 taken apart down to the playfield. I will be replacing all of the coils and rebuilding the flippers. I try things that I have little to no experience with and even less knowledge. Yet, by getting over these fears, I realize that the worst thing that has happened is I had to ask a question to get something fixed.

So, compared to what I knew about repairing, fixing, shopping out a pinball machine just a few months ago, I feel like I have come a long way. SO....

I am NOT going to let that Big Guns go just yet, I am going to give it a shot.

And lastly SO, anyone else that is relatively new to this, I firmly believe that you can do any repair, cleaning, adjusting and adapting that you wish. It only takes time, study, patience and humility. Especially humility, for when you are stuck and need to turn to the many awesome, intelligent, insightful members that are here almost every day.

Here is a shout out to you, fellow pinsiders!

#2 12 years ago

Oops. wrong pic. Heres a toast to you all!

beer_toast1.jpgbeer_toast1.jpg

#3 12 years ago

Nice post Gorilla. Your story gives hope to us all!

Depending on whether or not the parts arrive in time I plan to do an LED swap out on my machine along with my first playfield cleaning next weekend. Then I'm going to put together an NP style topper. Should be some kind of an adventure!

#4 12 years ago

T_G, that is absolutey hillarious!! And great post BTW. I am glad you are diving in feet first (or head depending on your body shape). That is the only way you are going to learn and have experiences to help the rest of us fix our crap.

#5 12 years ago

Hey Gorilla. You didn't tell us that your new movie came out this weekend!

gorilla-and-games-tgif-la-7-7-11.jpggorilla-and-games-tgif-la-7-7-11.jpg

#6 12 years ago

Great post, Gorilla. As a relative long time pin fixer/restorer let me say humility should never be repalced with boastful pride. I guarantee you even the most sage among us can still learn something new. I'm forever grateful to those who pass on new techniques and knowledge to us all.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

I guarantee you even the most sage among us can still learn something new.

Those of you who are high on their horse can take a page out of my book if you would like. When ever I start feeling good about myself around Pins I head over to my Circus EM machine (which was butchered by some idiot) and have a little humble pie. Just some food for thought.

#8 12 years ago

Nice post, it gives me courage to get started with fixing up my first pin.
    One thing that you forgot to mention is you also need a bit of $$ to keep them in good shape.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderpants:

Nice post, it gives me courage to get started with fixing up my first pin.
    One thing that you forgot to mention is you also need a bit of $$ to keep them in good shape.

We all started on the same level and its a fun hobby if you are really willing to
    learn.

#10 12 years ago

All I have are bills.

....thank god.

#11 12 years ago

I think back to how intimidating everything was the first time I HAD to take the glass off. It felt sort of like the first time you hold your new born baby. You don't want to hurt it, break it, or damage it irreparably....Eventually it's second nature. I just hope that someday I look back at my current fears of all things UNDER the field and laugh at myself the same way I do looking back at my PF fears...

#12 12 years ago

I also have nothing to compare to here but, with working 12 - 14 hour days in the summer (6 days a week) I feel like it's taking me way too long to complete the PF restore. I am taking my time since it's my initial attempt but, how long does everyone else take on average?

Besides, BR, I mean, who obviously does 2 per day to keep up with his turnover rate!

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

how long does everyone else take on average?

Months. Im busy as well but will put a little time here and there on mine but it takes me a long time to really thoroughly do one.

#14 12 years ago

I feel WAY better already, thanks RWI. (pintastic) (RWI is your airports 3 letter identifier, I used to work your area way back in the early 90's!)

#15 12 years ago

Dude... we can all do without the man-ass shot

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Dude... we can all do without the man-ass shot

in..your...honor...lol...i...was...getting...sick...of...it..too!!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attn-all-new-owners-and-first-time-fixers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.