• Latest reply 5 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20170916221404 (resized).jpg
IMG_1630 (resized).JPG

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

So everyone, which pins have very good "pro" versions of themselves? Some games, it seems, like premium is the only way to go, so which games have it where the pro model is almost just as good/equal? I have met and st, both pro, because there's very little those two games don't have shot/rules wise compared to their big brothers. Are there any others that come to mind?

#2 6 years ago

Walking Dead comes to mind immediately, very deep rule set, you miss out on a spinner, drop target, bicycle girl lift ramp, second magnet, crossbow and walker bombs but still the Pro stands on it's own and is one of Stern's most recent masterpieces thanks to Lyman. Transformers while not as popular, the pro is the better than the LE because the top right mini playfield on the LE kinda / justa doesn't work as well. (I've owned both).

#3 6 years ago

Game of thrones pro is great. I owned a preimium but did not care for the upper playfield.

#4 6 years ago

IEDIT. suk.at reading...

#5 6 years ago

Star Trek Pro makes the fewest gameplay concessions to the Premium.

#6 6 years ago

Guys....the guy says in his text he already has MET and ST pro.

#8 6 years ago

X-Men Pro missing the Nightcrawler Pop-UPs is a drag . But Pro is not bad .
LOTR Missing double x2 clear coat on playfield and brass trim. Pal chip/ shaker. Newer system. There is a workaround for shaker
Tron Pro Missing EL wire and a mode and music .

#9 6 years ago

Star Wars obviously

Tron for sure

I'm a got pro man myself. The upper PF is cool on prem but I don;t think it adds that much.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So everyone, which pins have very good "pro" versions of themselves?

GOT pro is a better player than Prem/LE (I have Pro)

TWD pro, I prefer playing to Prem/LE (I have Pro)

Tron pro plays just as good as LE (I own LE, the ramp lights look awesome though)

KISS pro plays as good as Prem/LE (I have Pro)

MET pro plays as good as Prem/LE (you have a pro, I have the LE)

Star Trek Pro plays the same as the Prem/LE (we both have pros)

Aerosmith Pro plays as good as the Prem/LE (I ordered the pro)

AC/DC Prem/LE is better than the pro (I have premium)

XMen LE is better than the pro IMO (I have LE)

Transformers 50/50 (I have LE)

Avatar, Pro plays fine (I have pro)

Star Wars, I've only played the pro, but I can't see a big difference playwise for the cost difference so I would buy the pro, if I was buying.

Thats my opinion.

rd

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Guys....the guy says in his text he already has MET and ST pro.

Whoops I totally read that as SW.

#12 6 years ago

Almost all of them

I can say rarely the LE or Premium deliver that much more. Often the Pro is the better playing game.

Any pro but these
Star Trek
AC/DC

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Almost all of them
I can say rarely the LE or Premium deliver that much more. Often the Pro is the better playing game.
Any pro but these
Star Trek
AC/DC

Star trek because of the lights? That's literally the only difference.

#14 6 years ago

Tron Pro and AS Pro are the ones that jump out at me besides ST and MET that you mentioned.

#15 6 years ago

TWD and ST pro versions play just great. I don't feel like i gave up much.

#16 6 years ago

Actually I prefer "frugal" to "poor".

But I'm surprised that no one has mentioned GB. I think the pro offers a lot for the price, especially now that you can pick up nice HUO ones in the mid 4Ks.

#17 6 years ago

I laughed aloud.

#18 6 years ago

I would really like a GOT pro, I've just been a bit weary of the spike system.

#19 6 years ago

Tron
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones

#20 6 years ago

I didn't know only 'poor people bought pro units?

#21 6 years ago

Iron man. Only 1 version. Priced like a pro.

Aerosmith

The other 2 best pros you already have

#22 6 years ago

On ST PRO the only thing (at least on mine) that i really dislike is sometimes as ball is released from scoop it bounces off sling.. could be an adjustment i suppose but i really like the way the prem puts it in the right lane. Also like the metal rails

#23 6 years ago

So why is got pro better then le or premium in the market

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

So why is got pro better then le or premium in the market

Many people like the unobstructed view of the playfield and don't feel as though the upper playfield ads to gameplay.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Almost all of them
Any pro but these
Star Trek
AC/DC

Why doesn't AC/DC Pro get any love?

#26 6 years ago

Met and TWD pro

#27 6 years ago

I'd say GB pro is nearly a good as the premium. I had quite a few games on the premium recently and the only things I was jealous of was the magna slings and the left ramp to subway system.

#28 6 years ago

how come people rate Met pro about equal to premium but rate TWD pro a lot lower than the premium?

I think TWD pro is better myself but I would say they are equal

#29 6 years ago

GOT premium is better game than pro. Owned the premium in the past and played a ton on pro. I loved the upper playfield because it added more strategy to the game. Can't go wrong with either but my opinion is the premium is the way to go.

#30 6 years ago

Poor guy checking in here for GOT pro...it feels like a different/better game than the premium.

#31 6 years ago

In on vacation and have a little free time. Here's the list of games with a Pro or LE.

Reference page ==> http://www.sternpinball.com/games

Star Wars
Aerosmith
Batman 66
Ghostbusters
Game of Thrones
KISS
WWE
The Walking Dead
Mustang
Star Trek
Avengers
X-Men
AC/DC
Tron
The Rolling Stones
Transformers

They played around with the idea of LEs with LOTR, Black Spider Man and the likes. It seems like true playfield changes started with Avatar and was full on by AC/DC. Not all have been hit titles, but Stern has continued to upgrade the overall system (Spike, new cabinets, LCD etc) while sticking with the 3 tier approach.

I think many of the pros are great games. It may be true that some designers make the LE and trim back for the pro and the opposite for others. Despite that, the outcome isn't always predictable. Some of us like more features, others like more cabinet bling. We can be sure as the sun rises that one is better, but our fellow collectors may still disagree. We debate objective differences. We try, but can't effectively argue subjective preferences.

I purchased these:
AS Pro
GB Prem
Mustang Pro
ST LE
AC/DC Prem
Tron LE
Spiderman Red

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from jbp8653:

It's been like that for years. I'm a huge fan along with several others. The original incandescent Pro (out of the box) looked extremely stripped down compared to the Premium. With the right add-ons, it's a beast.

My favorite game by far.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from jbp8653:

I give it tons of love. It is one of my favorite games right now. But that's because I'm a masochist.

Overall, I'm a Pro guy. Not because I'm poor, but because I see them as the best value. I can afford the Premium/LE, but I don't see good value in it. When I had 8k tied up in a single game, it just didn't feel right. Plus I usually enjoy the play on the Pro better. GOT was a classic example, the Pro was the better version. I hated the ball being lost under an upper playfield, so I bought the Pro. When I bought my Tron the LE was already 7k, which was a lot 5 years ago, so I went Pro. The only Premium I'm considering is the AC/DC VE. I already have the Pro VE, but I think they might be able to exist together... but I'd need to sell something for space, and it would need to be a game I like. So that probably won't happen unless I buy a bigger house.

#34 6 years ago

I used to buy only LE/Prems. Now I have these, by choice..

Prem/LE: X-Men (sold Met, LOTR, Tron, KISS, TWD, AC/DC)

Pro: Tron, Metallica, AC/DC VE (very fking fine machine), ST.

AC/DCVE is a giant of a pro, with code for miles, a sweet swinging bell, spinner and fully operational cannon. Stripped? I think NOT.

#35 6 years ago

guys stop saying the pro is better stern will raise the price, again... oh wait.... they did.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I hated the ball being lost under an upper playfield,.

Then you must also hate Whitewater, WOZ, BK2000 and dozens of others.

#38 6 years ago

I've played all versions and I think there are several Pro versions that basically play equal or even better than their upgrade counter parts. With Prem/LE, many times you are paying multiple thousands of dollars for lights and art differences which are hardly ever worth it to me. IMHO...

GOT pro plays better than the Prem/LE. Upper playfield is a huge waste unfortunately and the upgrades have the left orbit design issue.

TWD pro plays very good, but not having the walker bombs is a game changer. I would upgrade here if the price was right due to those alone.

Tron pro plays just as good as LE, get Eli's ramp mod kit and save yourself $4,000+.

KISS pro plays just as good as Prem/LE. You're paying for a 2 second floating ball trick and a drop target to upgrade.

MET pro plays just as good as Prem/LE. Hammer is cool when it works and the moving snake head and cross are nice, but the Pro is a great complete game.

Star Trek pro plays just as good as Prem/LE. You are paying $2,000-$3,000 for lights to get Prem/LE

Aerosmith Pro plays as good as the Prem/LE, but I have to say I do like the drop target and upper playfield. If the price was close I would upgrade here.

AC/DC Prem/LE plays better than the pro. Drop targets, swinging bell and lower playfield and other additions make it worth it.

X-Men Pro plays better than the LE. Ice Man ramp is a negative, and you don't lose anything not having the spinning disc and pop-ups.

Transformers Pro plays better than the LE. Iron Hide ramp is a total waste, Megatron physical ball lock is hit or miss and moving Starscream is sad when it just drops the ball off the wireform.

Avatar Pro plays just as good as the LE. You are missing a power ball that doubles scoring.

Ghostbusters Pro is a very packed game. I don't miss the physical lock and moving Slimer, but if the price was close I would upgrade.

Wrestlemania Pro plays just as good as the LE. The LE is appealing to me only because of the classic wrestlers vs. current wrestlers.

Mustang Pro plays just as good as the Prem/LE. The huge spinning turntable is a negative for me and I don't miss the pop ups.

Avengers Pro is all there, you are just missing the crossover ramp which I do like. These are so cheap, it would be worth upgrading.

Star Wars Pro plays just as good as the LE. You are only missing out on the hyperloop and it is not worth $2,000-3,000 by any means.

#39 6 years ago

It seems like a simpler question would be "which games are better to get the LE vs the Pro being good enough?" Only game I can think of that's drastically different is GoT, but I've never actually Owned a Stern (yet! Come on LOTR Ve!)

#40 6 years ago

Just find a nice HUO red Spiderman. Play-wise they are worth more than most of today's modern Pro machines.

#41 6 years ago

I dunno. I'd say AC/DC is probably the only must have premium. Any of their other titles the Pro version should be safe to go for.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Then you must also hate Whitewater, WOZ, BK2000 and dozens of others.

WOZ was the game I owned when I started getting a dislike of upper playfields. They block sight of the ball for too long. So yes, I've never owned Whitewater or BK2K, and wouldn't specifically because of that issue.

And to be very specific, on WOZ I didn't mind the left one that much, but the right one blocking sight of the the ball as it came down from the lanes or orbit to the upper right flipper. It's pinball... so am I wrong for wanting to see the f'in pinball?

#43 6 years ago

AC/DC pro led with swinging bell and train added is better than the premium with mini playfield that gets cloudy over time.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

AC/DC pro led with swinging bell and train added is better than the premium with mini playfield that gets cloudy over time.

that's exactly what i've done and it's brutal. i don't miss the cloudy robot from hell. but i do have to say the light show on the premium/le looks great.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

GOT pro is a better player than Prem/LE (I have Pro)
TWD pro, I prefer playing to Prem/LE (I have Pro)
Tron pro plays just as good as LE (I own LE, the ramp lights look awesome though)
KISS pro plays as good as Prem/LE (I have Pro)
MET pro plays as good as Prem/LE (you have a pro, I have the LE)
Star Trek Pro plays the same as the Prem/LE (we both have pros)
Aerosmith Pro plays as good as the Prem/LE (I ordered the pro)
AC/DC Prem/LE is better than the pro (I have premium)
XMen LE is better than the pro IMO (I have LE)
Transformers 50/50 (I have LE)
Avatar, Pro plays fine (I have pro)
Star Wars, I've only played the pro, but I can't see a big difference playwise for the cost difference so I would buy the pro, if I was buying.
Thats my opinion.
rd

So basically RD your opinion is buy all the games you own and not the ones you don't. Makes sense

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So basically RD your opinion is buy all the games you own and not the ones you don't. Makes sense

Swing it around ... I bought those games because I played the options first (except for XMen and Met which were preorders) and THEN made my purchasing decision.

I purchased the model which I thought played the best of the available options.

Oh, except Tron LE ... I bought a new Pro (which was great) and then a used LE came up at a great deal so I upgraded for the wanky ramp lights. Plus there's only 2 NZ original LEs in NZ so there's that.

rd

#47 6 years ago

TWD Pro - best bang for your buck. AND it's on sale in the MP for a great deal ; ) check my ad out!

#48 6 years ago

All the people I deliver meals on wheels to are strictly LE's only, right down the line...

#49 6 years ago

Mustang premium/le adds nice features with the cross over ramp and the hazard drop targets. It also has more music choices (which are easily customizable with the pinball browser) and the action button which changes strategy. I think it's with the extra $1500 give or take

#50 6 years ago

Twd and got pros, I would say, both are better thank their prem/le versions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Interactive
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attention-poor-people-best-pro-stern-pins?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.