• Latest reply 1 year ago by rexman10
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 10 years ago

So I finally get some time to update my metallica Pro to 1.22 and I remove the translight flip dip switch #8 to on, turn the pin on and no dmd, everything else works but the dmd is dead! So I turned the pin off and flip dip swith #8 to the off position fire up my pin and boom everything is ok.

So I say hey lets try this with the pin on, so I flip the dip switch on again plug in my usb, hear the little doink that the usb makes when its working hit the reset button on the cpu board on the dmd freezes. Now fast forward this goes on and on for about 20 mins. I call my distibutor and ask him if he has ever heard of such a thing and he says on one premium there was a similar problem and Stern had to replace the Cpu board. So now on monday I have to call Stern and get a new Cpu board for a pin thats only a couple weeks old.

If anybody else has had this problem please respond.

#2 10 years ago

Just updated no issues. Flip switch 8 plug in jump drive. Turn on and off ya go

#3 10 years ago

no problems here

#4 10 years ago

I have plenty of Sterns, never seen/heard of this before.

Grab a new CPU board while you can get a free one

rd.

#5 10 years ago

I have had three stern pins and had zero problems, updated Acdc last night with no problem.

#6 10 years ago

No problem here, sorry you got a bad one

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

I flip the dip switch on again plug in my usb, hear the little doink that the usb makes when its working hit the reset button on the cpu board on the dmd freezes. Now fast forward this goes on and on for about 20 mins.

If it doinks, then hangs, the game is likely not recognizing the file format on your drive. Did you unzip the file before moving it to the drive? Is the drive formatted FAT32? Have you ever done an update with the drive? Does your AC/DC recognize the drive and allow you to scroll through the binary (.bin) files on the drive in update mode?

Stern is going to ask you these questions before they send you a new board. The no DMD the first time may have been a fluke. You may indeed have a bad board, but you need to do a little more troubleshooting before you call Stern. Make sure it's the board and not your drive.

#8 10 years ago

There was another MET (I think) owner on here that had a problem with their boot ROM. Meaning their game worked fine, but it would not boot from the boot ROM so they could do an update.

I believe their game was behaving differently and would hang when it was trying to load the boot ROM information. They never mentioned the DMD going out. You might want to take a look at your boot ROM and make sure it looks like it is seated correctly on the board.

Pulling and re-seating a ROM (or even replacing a ROM) is much easier and less down time than replacing the cpu board.

#9 10 years ago

Good luck, keep us all updated with their response.

#10 10 years ago

This is not a Metallica issue. It's a corrupted boot rom. I had a Spider-Man in my shop last week with the same issue. Even with the USB not inserted, the screen doesn't have any display with the programming dip switch flipped. Game works normally otherwise. It should be fixable by burning a new boot EEPROM.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If it doinks, then hangs, the game is likely not recognizing the file format on your drive. Did you unzip the file before moving it to the drive? Is the drive formatted FAT32? Have you ever done an update with the drive? Does your AC/DC recognize the drive and allow you to scroll through the binary (.bin) files on the drive in update mode?
Stern is going to ask you these questions before they send you a new board. The no DMD the first time may have been a fluke. You may indeed have a bad board, but you need to do a little more troubleshooting before you call Stern. Make sure it's the board and not your drive.

Did all this and my Acdc recognizes the met bin file.

Quoted from markmon:This is not a
Metallica issue. It's a corrupted boot rom. I had a Spider-Man in my shop last week with the same issue. Even with the USB not inserted, the screen doesn't have any display with the programming dip switch flipped. Game works normally otherwise. It should be fixable by burning a new boot EEPROM.

I will let stern know thanks markmon.

8 years later
#12 1 year ago

HERE IS THE FIX

I had this same issue. Once I flipped dipswitch #8 and restarted the machine, the DMD was blank and the game was unresponsive. If I moved the switch back, everything worked. I called Stern support and over the course of several emails, they had me do some tests and ultimately it was a bad EPROM. Once I changed the EPROM, the update worked perfectly on the first try.

Of course, Metallica uses special EPROM software. It requires version 1.0. Most new EPROM's come with version 3.1.

Here is the thread about needing version 1.0 on your EPROM (aka Boot ROM)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-stern-sam-pinball-boot-v10-code-metallica

Here is a link to purchase the right EPROM for Metallica. Be sure to select version 1.0.
https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/stern-bootroms/

Even though my game was years out of warranty, Eddie at Stern support still took the time to help me identify the issue. I really appreciated that.

Also, special thanks to @Snakesnsparklers. He helped walk me through the issue as well.

Below is a picture of the OEM EPROM from my Metallica Pro.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 149.00
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,600 (OBO)
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attention-metallica-owners and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.