Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Gunnut40
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 4.51.25 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 11.15.13 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 11.29.20 AM (resized).png
    AC6F2C81-F34C-4638-83A7-461D1DE704A7 (resized).jpeg
    BAFE6415-E0BA-4331-8F20-046DDA29D9C6 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Edit: looks like Safari on Mac computers (iMac, MacBook) are also affected. They can simply click the refresh button in the UL bar, while holding the SHIFT key.

It was brought to my attention that some Pinsiders on iOS devices are having issues with stuff not refreshing on Pinside. New posts, new PMs etc. are showing with a delay.

I have investigated the matter, and it looks like I accidentally pushed out a faulty serviceworker file yesterday (April 6th). And while the problem was fixed rather quickly, somehow the faulty file got cached on Safari/iOS devices and is remaining there for some Pinsiders. Only Safari seems to be affected.

The fix is quite simple: clear the browser cache for Pinside.

If you are encountering these problems on your iPhone/iPad, please follow the steps below.

Step 1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.

Step 2. Scroll down (approx. 2 screens) to find Safari and tap it.

Step 3. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and choose Advanced.

Step 4. Tap on Website Data. On the next screen, you should see a long list of website data.

Step 5. At the top of this screen, in the search bar, type "Pinside".

Step 6. Only one Pinside record ill now show in the list. Slide this row to the left to reveal a Delete button.

Step 7. Tap this Delete button to remove all cached files for Pinside

Note, after this process, you will need to log in again.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

#2 1 year ago

Thanks Robin mine was affected but your easy to follow instructions got me sorted again. Cheers mate.

#3 1 year ago

What are the instruction on a Mac/Safari/Ventura? For some reason, it isn't obvious (and I poked around a bit). I can continue poking, but thought you might know.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

What are the instruction on a Mac/Safari/Ventura? For some reason, it isn't obvious (and I poked around a bit). I can continue poking, but thought you might know.

I believe a shift-refresh should do the trick.

That is: you hold the shift key and click the refresh button in the URL toolbar.

#5 1 year ago

It’s an issue on chrome iOS as well. I have cleared all data and signed out of pinside and back in but issue still persists. Safari seems ok now

#6 1 year ago

Still not working. I followed the instructions and it worked for a little while but now it’s doing it again. iPad safari.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Still not working. I followed the instructions and it worked for a little while but now it’s doing it again. iPad safari.

That's weird. If my instruction post #1 are not working, this alternative should work as well. It clears cache for all sites, not just Pinside.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iphacc5f0202/ios

For other browsers: a hard reload/refresh or clear cache should also do the trick.

#8 1 year ago

So far clearing my iOS cache is working fine. Thanks Robin.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from robin:

That's weird. If my instruction post #1 are not working, this alternative should work as well. It clears cache for all sites, not just Pinside.
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iphacc5f0202/ios
    For other browsers: a hard reload/refresh or clear cache should also do the trick.

Now it’s working again, didn’t do anything. Will see if it happens again.

#10 1 year ago

Worked for me. I actually searched for a thread like this yesterday and didn’t see anything. Seems to be working fine now, thanks!

#11 1 year ago

I deleted my Home Screen icon then reinstalled and signed in. Problem was solved.

#12 1 year ago

Thank you. Worked for me. Over the last 24 hours I kept reading the same page over and over again. I thought it was Groundhogs Day.

#13 1 year ago

My only issue was uploading pictures last night and I didn’t take any action to resolve as the problem appeared to resolve itself or without me knowing. Back at it

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

It’s an issue on chrome iOS as well. I have cleared all data and signed out of pinside and back in but issue still persists. Safari seems ok now

Still having issues with chrome as well. Please let me know if you find a fix. Thanks!

#15 1 year ago

For Chrome, the process to clear your browser cache is described here:

https://techpp.com/2022/02/16/clear-cache-for-specific-site-cookies-chrome-guide/

You probably only want to clear your cache for Pinside, not for all sites in your browser. Clearing cache often means you have to sign in again on sites.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from robin:

For Chrome, the process to clear your browser cache

That's for Chrome desktop and Android. Using iOS all browsers are just a wrapper over Safari so the iOS cache clearing process you posted earlier should be used.

#17 1 year ago

I had no clue of the issue on the first day it was an issue. I just simply refreshed the page when I saw it hadn't updated, and it's been good ever since.

#18 1 year ago

Just a heads up for anyone that may still have issues - clearing data on Safari didn’t work for me. I had to clear all data in the Chrome app on iPhone.

Prior to clearing, things were very spotty and would constantly revert back to a spot I had previously been browsing. Things seem to be good now.

#19 1 year ago

Well, now things are getting weird again. I get asked to sign back in every time I hit the “forum” button.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That's for Chrome desktop and Android. Using iOS all browsers are just a wrapper over Safari so the iOS cache clearing process you posted earlier should be used.

engine is the same - but not all the data nor app.

For instance, pinside doesn't show up in my safari cache at all

#21 1 year ago

I had to delete chrome on my iphone... just clearing browsing data wasn't doing it. So something was persisting... but a full reinstall cleaned it up for initial testing at least.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I had to delete chrome on my iphone... just clearing browsing data wasn't doing it. So something was persisting... but a full reinstall cleaned it up for initial testing at least.

I just tried deleting and reinstalling. Hopefully this works this time!

#23 1 year ago

Having trouble with getting mail today. I have deleted again and reinstalled.
    Edit: Solved it again

#24 1 year ago

robin - Still am experiencing problems with the https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/posts/user-mentions page not being current.

Even on desktop (Chrome) - the user-mention page is not reflecting the same latest state that https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topics/user-visited is showing.

Taking one thread - the GTF hype thread as an example.

User-mention page shows https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ap-s-galactic-tank-force-gtf-speculation-hype-thread/page/123#post-7533372 as the latest post

but user-visited shows https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ap-s-galactic-tank-force-gtf-speculation-hype-thread/page/124#post-7533372

(note the page # delta). Plus, the user-mention page says last post was 9hrs ago, user-visited shows 4hrs.

And yes this is after a forced refresh in the browser (but not deleting all data)

#25 1 year ago

Sounds like you’ll need to a data delete for Pinside, as explained above. Need to force that faulty caching mechanism to get off your phone!

#26 1 year ago

On I phone I can only get my mail menu to display with the phone turned in horizontal position? Is there sonething I can do? I miss messages unless I turn the phone.

The picture is my phone held upright. No notice of messages unless its sideways.

AC6F2C81-F34C-4638-83A7-461D1DE704A7 (resized).jpegAC6F2C81-F34C-4638-83A7-461D1DE704A7 (resized).jpegBAFE6415-E0BA-4331-8F20-046DDA29D9C6 (resized).jpegBAFE6415-E0BA-4331-8F20-046DDA29D9C6 (resized).jpeg
    #27 1 year ago

Delete and reinstall! It’s how I’ve fixed it twice.

Quoted from Loganpinball:On I phone I can only get my mail menu to display with the phone turned in horizontal position? Is there sonething I can do? I miss messages unless I turn the phone.
    The picture is my phone held upright. No notice of messages unless its sideways.[quoted image][quoted image]

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from robin:

Sounds like you’ll need to a data delete for Pinside, as explained above. Need to force that faulty caching mechanism to get off your phone!

Note, this is Chrome Desktop - not iOS - and was with a forced refresh. So that's in line with your prior recommendations.

On my iphone I already did delete all the data... and that got it mostly working, but there is still other oddities I'm experiencing including on desktop.

The example I just posted is showing in both desktop and mobile... the link is to the wrong page # for the post #. post 6158 is on page 124, not 123 for me - but the links for both of the links on the right here exhibit this problem
    Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 11.29.20 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-17 at 11.29.20 AM (resized).png

And I have no idea what it's doing in this view... where it's 4 listings of the same thread all with different references
    Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 11.15.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-17 at 11.15.13 AM (resized).png

And I have emptied cache and hard reload in chrome for the site

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

it's 4 listings of the same thread all with different references

Working as intended. All 4 of those posts quote or mention you.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Working as intended. All 4 of those posts quote or mention you.

Ok, so that explains multiple rows, but it's still all over the place though.. especially the time estimates.

For instance the view today...

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 4.51.25 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-19 at 4.51.25 PM (resized).png
    Top thread - icon at far right shows 23hrs ago. I originally thought it was trying to say when the last post was, but now I think it's trying to say when the post the row is referencing is... but even that isn't right. It says 23hrs ago, when post #2395 (which that row refers to) was 21hrs ago. Latest posts were 3hrs ago. So what is 23hrs?

The link for '23hrs ago' points to the last post in the thread - not the quoted post the row is for. Points to https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-are-all-toys-the-jjp-toy-story-4-owners-club/page/49#post-7537493

The GTF threads show 13 new posts - but I've actually already caught up in that thread. And if you look at the date references...
    The first GTF thread says "Posted 3 days ago by BrianBannon " - yet the link at the far right of the row says '2 days' ago.. and the last posts in the thread are from today. I can't make sense of what those references at the right are really about.

1 week later
    #31 1 year ago

How did it take me this long to find this? Followed the instructions and all is good. Thank you

1 week later
    #32 11 months ago

I think it’s fixed. Good job @robin. Time for some posts to get deleted.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attention-iphone-ipad-safari-users-encountering-website-issues-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.