Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 265 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Stempile
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scam pinside_PM (resized).png
    20200821_102614 (resized).jpg
    B804B00C-CE86-4FE6-B906-EF35297610B2 (resized).jpeg
    64AFBECC-F839-405A-9A53-CC0E50248309 (resized).jpeg
    9A37FC2D-7CAF-4DF7-BD2B-BCB1FE4B5686 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    CEB9DF01-544C-4DA0-99E9-B8CA00B20C29 (resized).png
    E940DF92-36E9-494B-BF6E-1E25736AE7E8 (resized).png
    C92E3DFF-697F-4AA7-84A4-E51E237547E7 (resized).png
    pinside funhouse (resized).JPG
    checks (resized).jpg
    received_117790533544099 (resized).jpeg
    received_1095541407552705 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210120-070856_Facebook (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Moderator comment on "scammy sites" axmpinballmachines Posted by ForceFlow (3 years ago)

Post #127 New Site Feature - Address Verification Posted by robin (3 years ago)

Post #201 Guide on identifying scam game seller websites Posted by ForceFlow (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Another idea is to have them show a piece of mail for the pick up location. Like an electric bill. I think by combining those two things it would make it tougher to get scammed.

Pretty much any printed materials are pretty easy to fake.

Just because it's analog, doesn't mean it's foolproof.

Video is harder to fake, but...

Quoted from herbertbsharp:

The problem is you can actually own the machine and still rip people off.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

So how would mail address verification work? It would involve Pinside sending a postcard (automated via one of the online sending APIs) containing a code. You log in to Pinside and enter that code. Boom! Address verified.

Google actually does this to confirm ownership business listings before they are allowed to be listed.

2 weeks later
    #71 3 years ago
    Quoted from vonclod:

I may have missed it but I haven't seen anything on who or how we report as a scammer from someone on pinside.

You can start a moderator feedback thread and include their username along with any other relevant details concerning the situation.

1 week later
    #76 3 years ago
    Quoted from BadMonkeyDJ:

I have been looking for an old, non working cab for a while now and I found a guy on Craig's List that was moving and was giving one away in Lexington, Ky (I live just north of Columbus, Ohio). I sent him an email and got no response for a week. Then he responds and tell me he has already move to Utah. He put me in contact with his his movers who offered to deliver the machine to my house for $400. Neither the seller or movers could type a correct sentence. Is this a common scam? I'm more of an arcade machine guy but I wanted to try my hand at pinball.

It's the most recent craigslist scam going around that's surfaced in the past few weeks, unfortunately. I hope nobody has been taken by it.

2 weeks later
    #92 3 years ago
    Quoted from aFineMoose:

Was contacted by a (99.99% sure) scammer. Any way to report them? I'm relatively new here, so don't know all the ins and outs.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can start a moderator feedback thread and include their username along with any other relevant details concerning the situation.

4 weeks later
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from cconway84:

Most scams seem to involve buying used pins from scammers sight unseen. How about NIB pins from distributors on this site? What is best practice on my end evaluating and buying new pins? Are bank wires the standard or do I have any exposure sending money via wire?

You shouldn't have any problems from a reputable & established distributor. If you're not sure about a particular distributor, you can always post a thread and ask about peoples' experience with them.

Note, however, there seems to be a scammer who tends to copy content from other distributors (usually ThePinballCompany.com) and recreates their own brand new websites with lower prices in attempt to attract and scam people.

2 months later
    #111 3 years ago
    Quoted from northernarrow:

so has anyone heard of AXM Pinball machines?? https://axmpinballmachines.com/
    They say they have a "Pinside Rating of 100%".
    They are responsive via email, but can't find much about them online. Their website looks a bit junky...
    Any info out there??
    Thanks!

I can't find any mention of this company anywhere.

The domain name was created on 6/30/20, so it's pretty recent.

Most, if not all, of the game images were stolen from elsewhere.

The written content doesn't make any sense.

The phone number is associated with scammy sites.

I doubt this website legitimate.

There's been a whole stream of scam sites just like this one. They're pretty easy to set up for someone who knows what they're doing.

Do NOT send them any money.

1 week later
    #119 3 years ago

Another scam site popped up named "pinball base"

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-base

These new scam sites seem to keep cropping up fairly regularly lately.

3 months later
    #147 3 years ago
    Quoted from justyn:

I wonder how these sites could be taken down permanently?

You can report it to their hosting provider. You'll probably need to do a reverse IP lookup to see what company is registered for the IP address to find out who that might be.

Then *if* the hosting provider is responsive and takes the site down, the scammer will just set it up again somewhere else.

You can also try reporting it to the domain's registrar. Again, no guarantee they would be responsive.

1 month later
    #164 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

I’m looking at buying a machine and selling one to afford the other. So my question is if I have paid the choice of subscription for pinside who is watching these sales to protect us consumers using this service? I paid the $35 fee to be able to post pictures to someone interested in buying.

It's a donation to help keep the site running. Pinside+ gets you a few extra features & perks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/donate

Pinside members do not need Pinside+ in order to add images to threads or marketplace ads. However, what Pinside+ does is give you the ability to send images in PMs to other members.

There is nobody who manually reviews every single ad that gets posted. Us moderators usually keep an eye on the ads in our geographical region simply because we're looking at those ads anyway, but we also rely on reports from individual members like you. If you think an ad looks fishy, hit the report button, and that sends a notification to the moderation team that it needs to be reviewed.

When corresponding with other members concerning an ad, you'll have to use your best judgement. There are also some good information within this thread and within the links in the first post of this thread. But, most people fall back on the near foolproof mantra "cash on the glass"; meaning, inspect the pin you're interested in buying (in person), then pay for it in cash (or if you're selling, invite the buyer to inspect the pin in person and only accept cash as payment).

1 week later
    #173 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

Has anyone every bought anything from moneymachines.com I ordered some parts on January the 19th have revived nothing sent a email to them and no reply.
    Raff

This is probably a question that is better served in its own thread, rather than this one.

1 week later
    #177 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Folks on Craigslist post their phone numbers in code, like s*v@n instead of 7. Seemed like an idea that looked like it worked, so I did it that way.

It's pretty easy for an automated scraper to parse those. You're only making it more difficult for real people to read the contact info.

Just enter your contact info in the proper fields that craigslist provides. Or if you don't want to publicly list your phone number, either don't list it at all, or just use a google voice number.

Quoted from undrdog:

No matter that it was after five and it would be at least a five hour drive from their area code.

These days, area codes are pretty much meaningless. Lots of people don't end up changing their cell phone numbers when they move to a new area, so they end up having an out-of-area area code. Or, they could be using a google voice number.

1 month later
    #187 2 years ago
    Quoted from CAPinballFan:

Anyways, long story short... anyone have any experience with bestpinballmachines.com
    I was thinking about buying a machine from him but couldn't find any real info on the company / website.

It looks pretty much the same as the other scam sites that have been regularly popping up. The domain name is pretty much brand new as well. I think it's safe to say that it's another scam site.

Quoted from CAPinballFan:

Also, any advice on whether to avoid or the best ways to have a pinball machine shipped across country would be appreciated.

Work with an established seller with a good reputation.

3 weeks later
    #191 2 years ago
    Quoted from big-c66:

Has anyone heard of Pinball theater dot com that sells pins the prices seems to good to be true I’ve been trying to dig around n make sure it’s for real thanks

pinballtheatre.com

No, it's yet another scam site. The domain name was only created in December 2020. It uses stolen photos and even links to a promo video from another company.

#197 2 years ago
    Quoted from brobra:

Once your bank verifies it’s there, you’re in good shape.

No, there's a requirement for having to make funds available. Just because the funds are *available* doesn't mean that they have actually cleared. That time is vastly shorter than the time it takes to actually clear a payment/transfer with a banking clearinghouse. That's how the scam happens--you think you got paid, when in reality, it was a bogus check that bounces later when the banks attempt to reconcile it, and the guy who scammed you is long gone.

Quoted from brobra:

Anyone not using an address is messed up.

I've seen companies not list their street address. Sometimes there are valid reasons for not listing it publicly.

I wouldn't use it as the *only* data point for determining legitimacy, but it's certainly one piece of information that can help fill in the bigger picture.

2 weeks later
    #214 2 years ago
    Quoted from sorcerer667:

Thanks for the earlier posts about pinballsarcadegames.com = scam
    I was hooked in seeing their facebook page posts, and registered interest in a machine - when they called my phone it was from Austin, TX and the other person spoke very broken english, but asked a few questions like if I had steps, etc that made them seem more legit. On their site it said they accepted credit card payments, which I was more comfortable with since I was thinking credit card would cover me in case of fraud - but on the phone, the guy says its only bank draft and 'zelle' which I hadn't heard of but if you lookup articles on is more recent digital payment that scammers frequently use that has no fraud coverage. So I told them I was going to pass if they didn't do credit card and further web searched on their website name and found this thread and saved me some pain. Would be good to have a quick list of known scam sites if one doesn't exist here already.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Be sure to check out this guide on identifying scam game seller websites:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-scam-game-seller-websites

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aus911:

he says it is safer for both of us.

lol, no.

Quoted from Aus911:

Can I be scammed out of the PayPal payment??

Yes, quite easily.

Cash on pick-up is the only way I do things.

1 week later
    #221 2 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Also if someone is worried about cash, purchase a counterfeit pen to test the bills. They are cheap and easy insurance.

Those pens are basically only effective if the paper isn't right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfeit_banknote_detection_pen

It won't detect "washed" bills, or counterfeit bills using the right kind of paper.

1 month later
    #230 2 years ago
    Quoted from ant68:

Take a look at this youtube clip and let me know your thoughts

Well, I do see what looks like some planking in the blue area on the left side. Those horizontal lines are hard to refute.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Some of the minor nicks & scratches you highlighted do seem to appear in the photos. I probably would have chalked those up to image artifacts or reflections without the direct comparison.

The left top backbox damage doesn't appear to be visible in the original photos, so that is inconclusive as to whether or not that could've happened during shipping, but it does appear to be conveniently out of frame.

Quoted from ant68:

In my and other pinball collectors view, planking like this happens over a period of years when the layer of ply start to seperate caused from a manufacturing fault.This can't happen in a 3-4 moth period .

If the game is stored in a poor environment (unstable temperature, unstable humidity), planking can develop fairly quickly. It could have possibly developed in 40 days it spent in the shipping container, regardless of what happened to other games (they weren't all made from the same batch of wood, after all).

But based on the photo, it looks like the planking may have already been present. However, it's also possible that it got worse during transport.

I'd agree that the cabinet was not mint or completely free of flaws.

Quoted from ant68:

I did not claim the full amount back from the credit card company only part of the amount

I was not even aware that you could actually do that.

All in all, I do not think this falls into the category of a scam. It sounds like there was a difference in opinion as to the actual condition of the game.

#252 2 years ago

Moderator's comment:

I would ask that the parties involved with this specific dispute take it to a new thread or PM, rather than clog up this dedicated general reference sticky thread. No further posts on this issue will be approved in this thread.

I hope that the matter will able to be resolved.

2 months later
    #256 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

I get this text (CL posting) on a machine I have for sale- legit?
    ….I’m interested in buying it and I want you to know that i will be sending a Bank Check from my bank to you Via (USPS Priority Mail). I’m in no rush once the check clears then i will arrange for pickup,text me your full name and address to issue out the check to you…. …. … ….. …. ..

Scam.

Typically, if you feel you have to ask, it's likely a scam.

Cash on the glass, accept no substitutes

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attention-don-t-get-scammed?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.