Topic Stats

• 222 posts
  • 121 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Green-Machine
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders
  • Topic is a super sticky!

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CEB9DF01-544C-4DA0-99E9-B8CA00B20C29 (resized).png
    E940DF92-36E9-494B-BF6E-1E25736AE7E8 (resized).png
    C92E3DFF-697F-4AA7-84A4-E51E237547E7 (resized).png
    pinside funhouse (resized).JPG
    checks (resized).jpg
    received_117790533544099 (resized).jpeg
    received_1095541407552705 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210120-070856_Facebook (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_2020-12-09 Site Currently Unavailable (resized).png
    Screenshot_20201104-142343_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20201104-141744_Chrome (resized).jpg
    SCAM2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 222 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #202 38 days ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I do not want to be rude or offensive, but its 2021, but still banksystems in the "modern world" (USA) make these kinds of exploits possible?
    Why is that?

Because changing the banking system is somewhat difficult and expensive, and the amount lost BY THE BANKS isn't quite enough yet that they want to do something about it. Just like everything else in this country, if something seems screwed up, look at who would have to fix it, and are they the ones that benefit from fixing it. If not, then there's your answer.

#203 38 days ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

The most ideal situation is cash on the glass. Anything else comes with some risk.

It's been "cellphone" on the glass here for almost a decade now, with legit e-ID verified in a app developed by the major banks as a collaboration to send and receive safe payments instantly between seller and buyer, tied and verified to your cellphone number in your bank account, has a daily limit that can be temporarily increased for a day, probably 90-95% of all transactions between private seller and buyer is made this way now, conveniently, instant, small chance of being robbed, no transaction fee and cant be refunded once you signed it with the e-ID.
    Cash is rarely used as payment and Im not sure if checks excists anymore, they were common in the 70's-80's, some banks and stores dont even handle cash if you like to do a deposit to your account or buy something, its either credit card, other digital payment or go elsewhere, dealing with cash is really uncomfortable nowadays.
    The problem is of course if the internet crashes or the app is down, has happened a few times over the years maybe once or twice a year, and the banks has more control of where the money transactions goes.

#204 35 days ago

Can't thank this forum enough. Thought to buy a Monster Bash from the Artifexsp web site:
    artifexsp.com/product/monster-bash-remake-pinball-special-edition/
    $6,000 for this machine seemed too good to be true. Glad I saw the post about scammer websites and that this was one of them!

1 week later
    #208 23 days ago

What if it is actually a wire transfer with showing wire transfer fees at your bank? Once a wire is made, it's guaranteed the moment it hits your account, right?

#209 22 days ago
    Quoted from CaptainRedEye:

What if it is actually a wire transfer with showing wire transfer fees at your bank? Once a wire is made, it's guaranteed the moment it hits your account, right?

Don't count on that, banks can reverse a transfer and refund your fees.

#210 21 days ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Don't count on that, banks can reverse a transfer and refund your fees.

Never ever heard of that under normal circumstances. Wire can’t be reversed

#212 20 days ago

Thanks for the earlier posts about pinballsarcadegames.com = scam

I was hooked in seeing their facebook page posts, and registered interest in a machine - when they called my phone it was from Austin, TX and the other person spoke very broken english, but asked a few questions like if I had steps, etc that made them seem more legit. On their site it said they accepted credit card payments, which I was more comfortable with since I was thinking credit card would cover me in case of fraud - but on the phone, the guy says its only bank draft and 'zelle' which I hadn't heard of but if you lookup articles on is more recent digital payment that scammers frequently use that has no fraud coverage. So I told them I was going to pass if they didn't do credit card and further web searched on their website name and found this thread and saved me some pain. Would be good to have a quick list of known scam sites if one doesn't exist here already.

#213 20 days ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Never ever heard of that under normal circumstances. Wire can’t be reversed

Why not 'phone your bank and ask them?

#214 20 days ago
    Quoted from sorcerer667:

Thanks for the earlier posts about pinballsarcadegames.com = scam
    I was hooked in seeing their facebook page posts, and registered interest in a machine - when they called my phone it was from Austin, TX and the other person spoke very broken english, but asked a few questions like if I had steps, etc that made them seem more legit. On their site it said they accepted credit card payments, which I was more comfortable with since I was thinking credit card would cover me in case of fraud - but on the phone, the guy says its only bank draft and 'zelle' which I hadn't heard of but if you lookup articles on is more recent digital payment that scammers frequently use that has no fraud coverage. So I told them I was going to pass if they didn't do credit card and further web searched on their website name and found this thread and saved me some pain. Would be good to have a quick list of known scam sites if one doesn't exist here already.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Be sure to check out this guide on identifying scam game seller websites:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-scam-game-seller-websites

#215 19 days ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Why not 'phone your bank and ask them?

You'd have to talk to THE manager.

Not an assistant manager or teller (they never know anything)

Tell the manager you are about to enter into a high-risk transaction

#216 18 days ago

Hi All,
    I have tried searching but am still unsure.
    I am selling an item for $400, the buyer will not use cash but insists on PayPal. he says it is safer for both of us.
    He is picking it up from my house so I feel he is safe.
    Can I be scammed out of the PayPal payment??
    Cheers
    Ray

#217 18 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You'd have to talk to THE manager.
    Not an assistant manager or teller (they never know anything)
    Tell the manager you are about to enter into a high-risk transaction

Exactly my point, many people seem to have been lulled into a FALSE sense of security relating to transfers. I agree it is rare for them to be reversed but certainly not uncommon and yes, only the "higher ups" at any bank would be knowledgeable enough to know this.

#218 18 days ago
    Quoted from Aus911:

he says it is safer for both of us.

lol, no.

Quoted from Aus911:

Yes, quite easily.

Cash on pick-up is the only way I do things.

1 week later
    #219 11 days ago
    Quoted from Aus911:

Hi All,
    I am selling an item for $400, the buyer will not use cash but insists on PayPal. he says it is safer for both of us.
    Cheers
    Ray

Yep. Why would someone not pay with cash for a pickup? If it sounds like a scam most of the time it is

#220 8 days ago
    Quoted from Aus911:

Hi All,
    Cheers
    Ray

Quoted from ForceFlow:

lol, no.

Yes, quite easily.
    Cash on pick-up is the only way I do things.

Also if someone is worried about cash, purchase a counterfeit pen to test the bills. They are cheap and easy insurance.

#221 7 days ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Also if someone is worried about cash, purchase a counterfeit pen to test the bills. They are cheap and easy insurance.

Those pens are basically only effective if the paper isn't right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfeit_banknote_detection_pen

It won't detect "washed" bills, or counterfeit bills using the right kind of paper.

#222 7 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those pens are basically only effective if the paper isn't right.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfeit_banknote_detection_pen
    It won't detect "washed" bills, or counterfeit bills using the right kind of paper.

Walmart uses them. So I’m good

There are 222 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside