New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 269538)

Attention! Don't get scammed!

By robin

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by Murphdom
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders
  • Topic is a super sticky!

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SCAM2 (resized).png
    scam orig (resized).jpg
    scam (resized).png
    SCAM5 (resized).png
    SCAM 4 (resized).png
    verification_letter (resized).jpg
    DE98CBE1-A4BB-40E1-A618-1EEBC9949E12 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 7.20.39 AM (resized).png

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 69 days ago
    Quoted from cconway84:

Most scams seem to involve buying used pins from scammers sight unseen. How about NIB pins from distributors on this site? What is best practice on my end evaluating and buying new pins? Are bank wires the standard or do I have any exposure sending money via wire?

You shouldn't have any problems from a reputable & established distributor. If you're not sure about a particular distributor, you can always post a thread and ask about peoples' experience with them.

Note, however, there seems to be a scammer who tends to copy content from other distributors (usually ThePinballCompany.com) and recreates their own brand new websites with lower prices in attempt to attract and scam people.

4 weeks later
    #105 39 days ago

Warning: Scammers are digitally altering photos to show proof of ownership now.
    This post popped up today showing how someone got scammed into a $100 deposit on a Black Knight 2000. Here is a Screenshot of the scam account and the scam ad. Notice in the ad there is a placard in the lower right corner showing proof of ownership… a name on a card under the glass.
    Some secret sauce internet sleuthing revealed the following photo from a 2017 pinside for sale ad. Notice it is the exact same photo, but without the name placard. Same position of lights on the game, same pins next to it.
    The scammer lifted the photo from pinside and used photoshop to digitally add in proof of ownership. The scammer asked for a $100 deposit (it’s 8 hours away) and then offered to ship for free through a bogus company after abruptly cancelling pickup arrangements. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-may-be-getting-scammed-help#post-5855922
    Long story short, scammers are getting better. Be careful with facebook and pick up in person when you can.
    scam (resized).pngSCAM 4 (resized).pngSCAM2 (resized).pngscam orig (resized).jpg

SCAM5 (resized).png
    #106 36 days ago

Here is a great laugh. I posted an ad on Mr. Pinball looking for a Williams Trade Winds. I got an email “NOS Williams Trade Winds” as the email header and $1200 for the email body and nothing else so I played along. “Tony Barn” said he had a NOS Trade Winds . That’s had never been played before and he was willing to ship it to me. He was an old man and his grandson was out of town and usually helped him out with pictures so he didn’t know how to send them. I think I laughed out loud when I read NOS. Oh, and it’s $300 to ship and he only takes PayPal F&F. This guy is a true clown.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 13.00
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 78.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 19.00
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside