(Topic ID: 10539)

Attempting to restore a 1947 Gottlieb Humpty Dumpty Machine, Help!!

By FlickDillinger

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DocFinlay
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1060 (resized).JPG
IMG_1059 (resized).JPG
IMG_1058 (resized).JPG
IMG_1057 (resized).JPG
IMG_1055 (resized).JPG
IMG_1056 (resized).JPG
IMG_1054 (resized).JPG
IMG_1053 (resized).JPG
IMG_1050 (resized).JPG
IMG_1051 (resized).JPG
IMG_1048 (resized).JPG
IMG_1049 (resized).JPG
IMG_1045 (resized).JPG
IMG_0686 (resized).JPG
IMG_0659 (resized).JPG
IMG_3159 (resized).JPG
#1 12 years ago

Hi,

I am restoring a 1947 Gottlieb Humpty Dumpty Pin. I have 3 loose wires that should connect near the coin mechanism. I have an orange and two black wires. I think I know where they go but I would rather not wing it. If anybody can give me some direction or better yet post a picture I would be eternally grateful. The machine a place to put two buss fuses near the coin mechanism also. The one buss fuse in there doesnt seem to show the amp of the fuse. The other is missing. Any direction hear would be greatly appreciated..!!

Thanks again, the Flickster

#2 12 years ago

Sounds like a nice project
does the game still have a coin door and any hardware ?

#3 12 years ago

Yeah,

The coin mechanism is there.. I have 3 loose wires that go to the coin mechanism area. It's an orange wire and two black wires.. I can see the solder points but want to do it right. I will try to post a picture soon.. Also there is a place for two buss fuses near the coin door. One fuse is in there but no amps are listed on the fuse.. I am hoping I can find out the correct amps from someone. I will post a photo soon on that also.

#4 12 years ago

Yes post a photo,
also on some of the old woodrails you had to hit the flipper button to turn on the pf I think?
not sure if that was on a GTB or not?

#5 12 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1254&picno=37624
Nice looking BG never seen one before

#6 12 years ago

Hi,

I am new to the restoring thing. Not sure what a pf is. Need to go look for a definition of terms.. I am very much into the pinball thing though!! I will try to get some pics of the project soon..

#7 12 years ago

PF means "playfield". Hey I think you have one of the old Gottlieb that are sought after by collectors. You may want to research your pin a little and gauge it's worth.

#8 12 years ago

World's first pinball with Flippers!!
Historically quite significant.

HD.jpgHD.jpg

#9 12 years ago

For a game of this era, the best online tech resources will be on rec.games.pinball. Post your questions with "EM Tech:" in the subject line. Probably the easiest way to access RGP if you haven't before is to use rgparchive-removed.com.

#10 12 years ago

Oh, I can probably get you a picture, I just realized. Tonight is PPMs fix-it night and they have one in the museum. Still, if we're talking coin mech, there could be a few variations since many were probably bypassed to enable free play, so you may still want to post in RGP.

#11 12 years ago

Hi Jonnyo,

How do you access PPM's fixit night.. Sounds very cool..

1 week later
#12 12 years ago

Here's some pix of machine.. hooked up the power and have assorted problems.. I will attempt to fix them one at a time over the coming months.. Did get the flippers working and the kickout holes. No lights or scoring as of yet..The step up unit spins at the beginning but keeps spinning and one of the coils doesnt release.. Not sure there. Found a few more loose wires as well.. Attached are some
pics of what I am working with.

Picture_003.jpgPicture_003.jpg Picture_004.jpgPicture_004.jpg Picture_011.jpgPicture_011.jpg

#13 12 years ago

Okay, just wanted to post a few pix of the playfield as well.. Anybody know why the step up unit keeps spinning? Or why the coil keeps getting juice to keep the stepup unit spinning?

Picture_018.jpgPicture_018.jpg Picture_019.jpgPicture_019.jpg Picture_020.jpgPicture_020.jpg

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from FlickDillinger:

Hi Jonnyo,
How do you access PPM's fixit night.. Sounds very cool..

Email them, but also introduce yourself in person. Weirdos are ok. Weirdos with hygiene problems are not ok.

I didn't make the last one or yesterday unfortunately. Last week I had to work late. This week I got sick!

#15 12 years ago

In the beginning of this post I was trying to connect the wires by the coin mechanism. I made a guess on that and the coil under the coin mechanism engages but doesnt release.. Also, when I disconnect those wires and push in the coin mechanism or the ball drop mechanism the stepup unit engages and the flippers and ball hole mechanisms work.. No scorring. Nothing behind the backglass in back access panel seems to be working..Got major work to do..Would like to get the step up unit to engage and then stop as it should. Coil engages but doesnt release and the step up just keeps going. Not sure what controls the coil yet..

#16 12 years ago

Looks like you have your work cut out for you this Winter Flick
As for the playfield lights 1st look at to fuse and holders then find the 'hold' relay
when ever the game 'tilts' this relay will lose power and turn off the lights so if you cant I.D. the relays and the game will set up 'make' the tilt like with a pen or pencil and look for a relay to trip other then the 'tilt' relay. hope this helps some

2 years later
#17 9 years ago

Have you had sucess in restoring the Humpty Dumpty? I found one at an auction a couple of months ago and I am having some of the problems you had. I am having problems with the of the coin mechanism and ball drop mechanisms. Can you post pics of these? I am also missing the coil to the counter. Thanks.

#18 9 years ago

I have a complete, disassembled Humpty Dumpty, game, head, cabinet, playfield, etc. I may be willing to sell to someone who is doing a restoration. This game is beyond restoration for the most part and was in pieces and water damaged, but most of the parts are there. Contact me if interested.

#19 9 years ago

What condition is the backglass in?

#20 9 years ago

I have an original 1947 schematic for Humpty Dumpty - can't be too many around! Would probably sell it.

4 years later
#21 5 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I have detailed pictures of every part of the Humpty Dumpty machine along with fuse ratings. Let me know if I can help. I am currently restoring 2 Humpty Dumpty machines, one will be a museum quality, all original parts. The other will likely use some new replacement parts. I am still looking for any scans of the backglass or sites with replacement backglass or even a plastic translite.

Thanks.

1 month later
#22 5 years ago

Some general pictures of both machines. Also 2 pics of the plastics I experimented with "de-yellowing" using hydrogen peroxide and leaving in the sun. Overall, I am pleased with the results, but it did fade the blue numbers and lettering quite a bit. I was planning on repainting that part, so I'm ok with that, but 2 days of treatment was too much.

016 (resized).JPG016 (resized).JPG019 (resized).JPG019 (resized).JPG021 (resized).JPG021 (resized).JPG022 (resized).JPG022 (resized).JPG023 (resized).JPG023 (resized).JPG094 (resized).JPG094 (resized).JPGIMG_0659 (resized).JPGIMG_0659 (resized).JPGIMG_0686 (resized).JPGIMG_0686 (resized).JPGIMG_3159 (resized).JPGIMG_3159 (resized).JPGright side cabinet (resized).jpgright side cabinet (resized).jpg
#23 5 years ago

Backbox wiring detail:

IMG_1045 (resized).JPGIMG_1045 (resized).JPGIMG_1048 (resized).JPGIMG_1048 (resized).JPGIMG_1049 (resized).JPGIMG_1049 (resized).JPGIMG_1050 (resized).JPGIMG_1050 (resized).JPGIMG_1051 (resized).JPGIMG_1051 (resized).JPGIMG_1053 (resized).JPGIMG_1053 (resized).JPGIMG_1054 (resized).JPGIMG_1054 (resized).JPGIMG_1055 (resized).JPGIMG_1055 (resized).JPGIMG_1056 (resized).JPGIMG_1056 (resized).JPGIMG_1057 (resized).JPGIMG_1057 (resized).JPGIMG_1058 (resized).JPGIMG_1058 (resized).JPGIMG_1059 (resized).JPGIMG_1059 (resized).JPGIMG_1060 (resized).JPGIMG_1060 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attempting-to-restore-a-1947-gottlieb-humpty-dumpty-machine-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.