(Topic ID: 234860)

Attack from Mars - What are the Top 5 things that make it great?

By Krupps4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ctviss
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

All the usual things that make a great pinball machine are present

-Artwork, Call outs, sound effects, DMD video is all top notch (no flaws).
-great shooting, ramps, orbits, flow, just enough toys with the Martians and the diverter and center drop bank

I think the absence of any major flaws is what makes it great

————

What makes it number 1 is the rules (easy to understand but difficult to master)

-Easy multi-ball to start but challenging to get the super skill shot
-Easy to battle cities but hard to complete all
-5-way combo I’m not saying it’s easy to get for me but it does leave enough time that you can get a run going
-Nice hurry up implementation when you make 3 shots then build all the way to total annihilation.
- Martian Attack mode

fun super high scoring pin (some say this shouldn’t matt if you make 10K or 100M points for a shot but it’s just crazy fun to get hundreds of millions of points in bonus or mode competition

*** my favorite mode is Martian attack It’s fun to qualify (two stages to qualify the multiball) and then to play battle great call outs

I think it’s simplistic layout and rules are what has found success in other pins like Tron and IM. AFM seems just a tad better.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the insight!

I’ll contrast with LotR which is also excellent in most every thing. But LotR was not as fun to me, I didn’t have as much fun playing LotR and was almost like work and not as satisfying to play over and over.

AFM is simple and fun, even a bad game on AFM will have a moment where you were in Multiball or in a hurry up or in a combo run. Just great fun, while LotR seems like I need to get a bit farther in to see the great stuff, AFM has a lot more close to the beginning of the game.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

It's loaded, I always laugh when people say the game is empty. Don't forget it has 3 ramps (one of which diverts to a lock), a strobe light, motorized target bank, etc.
I think the main reason is it's fun for all skill levels like some have said. Newbies get the big dumb saucer shot they can focus on, which feels awesome. Intermediate players can reasonably achieve Total Annihilation, which feels awesome. Expert players can rule the universe, which feels awesome.

I have yet to get to the total annihilation multiball yet.

I think some people would say it’s empty because it doesn’t have a lot of moving parts or magnets or upper/lower PF or extra flippers. Comparing it to TZ or JD it’s kind of just basic 2 flipper what you see is what you get.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-what-are-the-top-5-things-that-make-it-great?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.