• 129 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by KJS
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1651565546726_6927167978897947044 (resized).jpeg
02 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20201026_121353 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201026_021101 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201013_140944 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201013_143406 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201013_143351 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201013_140007 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201013_143438 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201009_142426 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201009_142459 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201009_142441 (resized).jpg
001EA243-4661-46BE-AFD7-6B7018D6403A (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200930_121411 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200930_024511 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200930_024531 (resized).jpg

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 1 year ago

Parker_tz thanks.

#52 1 year ago

Ambitious project! I love it and will definitely follow!

How do you plan to print the art on your playfield?

#53 1 year ago

matiou I found a local company that can print directly onto wood and then can do clear coats. If not that, considering some sort of print on Mylar, if not that I'll have to either screen print it myself for $2,000,000 or hand spray it! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Basically if not one of the 1st 2 options, I'll figure something out.

#54 1 year ago

On a side note, Placed an order today with Pinball Life for my Boards and bunch of other hardware (Scary to see a cart that large) and then was able to get the help from a fellow pinsider to acquire quite a few other bits (Thank you mystery pinsider....thank you).

I'll do another post about the items once they get here this weekend or early next week. Will be hopefully finishing the cabinet here this week so I can bring it inside and get it ready for the build!

Thanks all!

#55 1 year ago

Alright. Main Update # 2. Cabinet is almost ready to stand by itself. And I have received my 3rd package from Pinball Life. Oh and we got some goodies!

Received the main board for the game! I got 1 P3roc, 3 SW-16, a PD-16 and a TNA Power distribution board.

IMG_20200918_133632 (resized).jpg

Also received new leg levelers that will be used on an old set of legs until we decide to spring for the new ones (most likely the last thing that will be done on the build.

IMG_20200918_133322 (resized).jpg

Got all 7 Martian Targets as well as the 2 red targets that will be installed under the main mother Saucer!

IMG_20200918_133115 (resized).jpg

Scoop for the stroke of luck shot

IMG_20200918_133403 (resized).jpg

Super excited that I went and got this on this order. The auto plunger for the shooter lane.

IMG_20200918_133504 (resized).jpg

Then some hardware for the guide rails (offset spades), a PAL nut for the one flipper that didn't have one, spacer for the legs so they don't get scratched and new translucent green flipper rubbers!

IMG_20200918_133450 (resized).jpg

And last........sigh.......the thing people will be mad about.......the stern playfield mounting hardware. But before everyone gets mad.....It's my game.......hahahahaha. I'm never selling it, It's my baby. It was cheaper, I can pull the playfield out super easy and I just wanted these vs the older Bally/Williams ones. "Big whoop....wanna fight about it!" hahahaha.

IMG_20200918_133348 (resized).jpg

Other than that...the cabinet will be in my house this weekend and I will be getting going on the mounting of hardware , flipper button installation, launch button and start button installation and if I have time....hopefully mounting the hardware for the playfield brackets.

Another order coming in one Tuesday folks. Cannot wait to share and to update on the progress of the weekend. Thanks to all!

#56 1 year ago

Interesting project.
I remastered the artwork for this playfield in vector format. If you have the artwork, it has my fingerprints all over it.
I also have the factory original AutoCAD file for this machine. Lots of hours.

D46DAEBB-E2B9-4384-AE83-183E892B836D (resized).jpeg
#57 1 year ago

FantasticPinball Right now the only artwork I'm basing my fusion work on is a Hi-res playfield scan that has the saturation high as it's hard to tell where the openings are all the time. That is why I 've been taking a long time and measuring my mechs and inserts, etc. Hard to tell on the scan exactly where everything goes.

#58 1 year ago

Cabinet leg brackets completely installed. Temporary legs installed......bottom cabinet braces installed! Tomorrow.....hopefully I'll be cutting the whitewood playfield to size, then adding the side and back supports. Then the playfield bracket to hold it up, flipper buttons and if there's time...the start and launch button.

IMG_20200919_164303 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200919_164318 (resized).jpg

#59 1 year ago

Great progress!
Maybe you should cut the opening for the coin door before your cabinet becomes too "busy" ?

#60 1 year ago

matiou thanks so much.......... I'm looking at maybe doing some kind of custom locking mech so that I could skip the door altogether. No real need since it will forever be a HUO.

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from WizardPinball:

matiou thanks so much.......... I'm looking at maybe doing some kind of custom locking mech so that I could skip the door altogether. No real need since it will forever be a HUO.

If you do, where will you place the control buttons for settings/ diagnostics? Would suck to have to remove the glass and lift playfield to do a simple software adjustment if no easy access to buttons inside. Having the buttons somewhere on the outside would be an even more awful idea. Maybe inside the backbox, still a much worse placement than the standard inside cabinet door imo.

#62 1 year ago

Lhyrgoif since I'll be using a P3ROC and essentially be reprogramming the game from scratch....I'll be using a PC to run the system, if not that then a raspberry pi. I'll be using a wireless keyboard/mouse combo to control it....therefore any game settings (volume/diagnostics....etc...) should be able to be done remotely.

#63 1 year ago

lhyrgoif since I'll be using a P3ROC and essentially be reprogramming the game from scratch....I'll be using a PC to run the system, if not that then a raspberry pi. I'll be using a wireless keyboard/mouse combo to control it....therefore any game settings (volume/diagnostics....etc...) should be able to be done remotely.

Oh I see, didn't think about that lol. Hmm what about the lockdown bar then, custom one too ?

#64 1 year ago

Lhyrgoif yeah....I've got one off of an old fireball home (same width and fairly similar design if not exactly) rusty, but could be cleaned and painted green to match flippers. I have an idea I'll try and then share once I get it working for the locking mechanism.

IMG_20200920_173220 (resized).jpgIMG_20200920_173231 (resized).jpgIMG_20200920_173247 (resized).jpg

#65 1 year ago

Got the start button in this morning......counter sunk to boot. Hahahahaha!

IMG_20200921_111706 (resized).jpg

#66 1 year ago

I'm most excited by the prospect of you recreating the game, or some version of it, in MPF

As someone who is currently learning to code a game on MPF, do you plan to open source your code? I'm not a very good coder myself and I learn best by reading example and other chunks of code.

Best of luck

#67 1 year ago

Be weary of Fusion360, they will be greatly limiting the features of it for free users in less than a month.

#68 1 year ago

TreyBo69 me too! Yeah....I'm no programmer (Thank God my dad is) but I will be trying to do a lot of it myself with help from the MPF Google group, and when needed my dad. I think I will share it.....there no reason not to. Plus....I'm hoping people will be like ...hey.....that's supposed to be a 5 x shot not 4x or.....hey....you have the wrong sound playing here. hahahahaha......free beta testers.

#69 1 year ago

dudah yeah I saw that. That sucks..... But......I have another option/someone gave me another route to go down. I'm going to be asking if I can share what that is after I've done it.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from dudah:

Fusion360, they will be greatly limiting the features of it for free users in less than a month.

Which is why I never bought into Autodesk (or is it Adobe?) buying all these properties. Whoever it is; made sounding like buying EagleCad would be great for the longterm health of that product. As far as I can tell; they made it much worse... so I'm staying on the old license I have.

I refuse to pay a monthly "fee" to use software in a subscription model... the only exception might be the os... and even then; I might have to move to linux if that happened.

#71 1 year ago

Zitt Yeah I hear ya! It's still free for home use so you don't need to pay any fees. But they are going to limit some stuff.....stuff that I think I don't even really use/need though. so for me.....eh. Hahahaha

#72 1 year ago

Hello everyone.....update time!

I was able to find my spare glass that will be in there at least for a while....a few scratches but honestly, not bad at all. When its all done I may spring for new.

I was also able to cut the whitewood playfield today.

IMG_20200922_142738 (resized).jpg

Got some more goodies in the mail. My apron I'll be using.

IMG_20200922_142751 (resized).jpg

Got in the Mothership Saucer

IMG_20200922_142849 (resized).jpg

And the smaller saucers

IMG_20200922_142936 (resized).jpg

The main saucer drop target as well.

IMG_20200922_143009 (resized).jpg

and finally the ball rail guides for the flipper lanes.

IMG_20200922_142916 (resized).jpg

Really happy to have these parts in. (Some did come either damaged or not as described, but) Overall...I am happy with getting the parts to make the game get up and running.

#73 1 year ago

Earlier I planned out the idea for the lockdown bar without coin door.

The lockdown bar has a large flat piece of steel going into the game (The white piece with the pink strip is the lockdown bar).

The all pink piece is the custom lockdown receiver.

I'll be using a normal cabinet cam lock for this. The round piece coming out the front represents the cam lock (obviously not this long or gross, but when using paper, better grips are needed)

Think this photo but with a drilled, tapped screw coming out the end which will act as the arm the latches to the cutout in the lockdown bar.

1381 (resized).jpg

Lockdown bar is inserted, turn key, bolt attached to cam lock swing arm turns to stop lockdown bar from being removed.

See photos below.

IMG_20200922_192348 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200922_192401 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200922_192417 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200922_192423 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200922_192434 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200922_192500 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200922_192513 (resized).jpg

I think it should work.....if not....I'll make one that has a mech inside to turn two arms into two locking slots. Let me know what you all think!

#74 1 year ago

Cut some hardwood and attached the 90° brackets for attaching to the playfield. This is the piece for the very back of the playfield, to help stabilize as well as to stop balls from flying into the bottom of the cabinet.

IMG_20200923_133443 (resized).jpg

#75 1 year ago

Kudos to you!

Any of us could save up and buy an AFM original or remake, but not many could build one from scracth!

Keep going! Can't wait to see more of your creation!

#76 1 year ago

OK - I get wanting to build this and everything else does not matter.

You could have got many parts for free or near free - if you asked the community for a blown out AFM playfield someone would likely have one, old cabinets would have been available. Things could have been fixed on cabinets and playfields to make it like new, but this is about the experience not the money. Just the playfield seems the step too far. I get people code, I get you can make some art on photoshop to recreate the playfield but it just seems like you want it to be like the original but your own homebrew of it.

I understand what you are doing its the journey not the destination.

#77 1 year ago

WizardsCastle Thanks a lot. Really enjoying the process! Lots of fun trying to figure out problems as they come! Thanks for the kind words!

#78 1 year ago

wamonkey Exactly. I want the same experience (not trying to redo or make a different version) as the original. I want to plug it in and hear that news reporter and the blips and beeps behind him. I don't want to spend $6K - $8K....and I love making things. Hahahahaha! Plus...the kids are loving helping too! It's just a fun project that so far that seems to be on par to save a lot of money and be a fun learning experience towards my actual custom pin I want to make (coming soon).

#79 1 year ago

Here are some pics I just took as well.

Took some 3M adhesive spray to adhere a printed version of the playfield to my whitewood for the rough cut hole openings (Just for fun and to make it pop a bit while working on it).

a12b56bf-d721-4fac-ae7d-94b888eeb47b_1.35eef906ebe24b2dc008da9ff8b3aaf1 (resized).jpg

Here are some shots with the playfield in the cabinet (Just resting on stuff, not mounted to it as of yet), with the back board on it (not installed...just resting) and the apron (again...just resting).

IMG_20200923_142556 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200923_143018 (resized).jpg

#80 1 year ago

Curious to know, are you using a repro playfield, or did you print and CNC that yourself?

Also, would you be open to sharing the final costs on this project? Of course, you can't put a price on time, but I'd really be interested in knowing what a machine like this could be built for, and make a comparison to what current prices are on games.

Cheers!

#81 1 year ago

WizardsCastle I'll for sure share the pricing.....I have a list going as we speak that I update. And while I know this looks good, It's just a paper printed version of a full scan playfield applied to my 1/2" plywood white wood. Once the CNC gets the files, The playfield will be cut that way and I'll find a much nicer way of applying/adhering/printer/painting the artwork.

#82 1 year ago

wamonkey Also.....If anybody wants to donate their "blown out" playfield, parts etc......please let me know! Hahahahahaha! but seriously.

#83 1 year ago

Hi all. Received my Side rails and glass channels on Friday from another lovely pinsider here on...pinside.

IMG_20200926_202726 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200926_202745 (resized).jpg

Cannot wait to put them on. Went to my local hardware store to pick a few things to mount them with. The tape for mounting the side rails on I had researched online and since I didn't want to wait on shipping for the ones from pinballlife.com I decided to go with what some others have recommended and that is scotch outdoor tape.

81Pdx0pysnL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg

It's said to be almost the exact same size as the pinball side rail tape and have excellent bonding strength.

Since again I did not want to wait for pinball life for this order, I picked up the smallest 1" carriage bolts and locking nylon nuts I could get from my store.

IMG_20200926_202834 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200926_202818 (resized).jpg

They were the perfect length and style, but the locking square at the base was a little large to fit into the side rail. Nothing My metal file wouldn't take care of.

IMG_20200926_202853 (resized).jpg

Now they fit just fine...

IMG_20200926_221224 (resized).jpg

Next task is to clean them, get the tape on and get them attached. (And before Everyone gets on me about the vinyl side art....oh......oh there's a plan)

#84 1 year ago

Alright...Had some time to remove the old tape from the used side rails. That took some time, but with some helpful information from the forums, I was able to get it off with my wife's trusted hair dryer and a 1" flat scraper. (Trust me......don't use Goo Gone, or sticker remover.........IT'S NOT FUN! Make sure to use a hair dryer on hot (wear gloves for hot metal) and scrape away)

IMG_20200928_143945 (resized).jpg

I also had some L brackets at home and was playing around with the playfield hooks that go on the underside of the playfield and hook into my custom lockdown bar assembly. (First pic is the real one from Pinball Life) and the 2nd is the less than $1 dollar option I whacked on an anvil for a while to get what I wanted. Now I just have to make the lockdown assembly and test her out!

535-8385-00 Zinc_300x300 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200928_143935 (resized).jpg

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Also, would you be open to sharing the final costs on this project?

I have a friend that lives down the street that has built several pinball games from the ground up. He builds all the wooden parts as well as designing and CNC-ing his playfield designs. He has the playfield/translite/cabinet artwork printed. He also makes all of his plastics, ramps, translite, wiring harnesses and plastic parts on the playfield.

He uses Linux Ubuntu as his game operating system...and he writes his own game rules.

He buys the general metal parts, flipper mechs, pop bumpers, playfield glass, rubbers, etc.

I think he says he has about $5k in each game and 1000 hours.

Robert

#86 1 year ago

MrSanRamon That's awesome! Yeah....I know what I've gotten myself into. Hahahahaha!

#87 1 year ago

Decided to stop contemplating and commit to putting in the launch button. Drilled nicely from the front, then from the back (to avoid chipping) 1" forstner bit does the trick. Registration holes for the button were a little tight...but got them sorted quick enough. Starting to look like a real game.

IMG_20200930_024511 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200930_024459 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200930_024531 (resized).jpg

#88 1 year ago

Decided to stop contemplating and commit to putting in the launch button. Drilled nicely from the front, then from the back (to avoid chipping) 1" forstner bit does the trick. Registration holes for the button were a little tight...but got them sorted quick enough. Starting to look like a real game.

I used the same buttons on my Virtual Pin I built a few years back. I wanted to theme it around AFM. I love this game, would love to own one someday.

#89 1 year ago

Wouldn't a AFMr be cheaper??? and like A LOT less time? and like work a lot better?

#90 1 year ago

sk8ersublime I hear ya! Yeah....I'm making this for the wife mostly so I can learn the P3ROC setup and also the MPF (Mission Pinball Framework) side of things. That way I can focus hard on my homebrew game and have some knowledge already built up!

#91 1 year ago

EricHadley and a lot less fun to get and I wouldn't learn as much. This project is 1) to have an awesome version of AFM at the end 2) learn lots about making pinball and 3) have fun making it with my kiddos over time! And honestly, minus time.....I really think I'll land ahead $ wise. Time will tell.

#92 1 year ago

Thanks mail man!

IMG_20200930_121411 (resized).jpg
#93 1 year ago

So just for shits and giggles / posterity, how long do you think this will take you to complete and how much money do you estimate? It will be fun to compare down the road

#94 1 year ago

From what I read above, you are going to CNC the playfield.

So I assume you're going to put some kind of overlay on the CNC'd playfield, for the artwork .

I did a remake (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-night-rider-ss-re-theme)
and I put an overlay on the playfield for the new artwork. In about a year, the artwork started to lift in a couple locations.

My friend Chris, who builds pinball games, put an overlay on his latest game about 3 months ago. He called me the other day and told me that his overlay was starting to lift too.

So I'm curious as to what type of artwork you're going to use for your game. If it's going to be an overlay I just wanted to let you know that it may be less than permanent.

Robert

#95 1 year ago

Mbecker Yeah. I've thought about it too, I think I'm roughly now $1500 in. I plan to stay under $2500 (I think that's going to be pretty close as I have some secretly secret plans ahead...lol!). In terms of completion.....totally depends on family life, pandemic, work and my other homebrew scratch build. I'd love to have it ready by the end of the year.....HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha! but seriously though.....end of 2021 hopefully (Completely finished). Hope to have it flipping before November.......fully playable before next years MGC or Pinball expo. We'll see though.

#96 1 year ago

MrSanRamon Thanks for the post. I actually found some folks locally that said they can print directly onto a wood surface. So that's my first go to. If not, then I will.....find another option. I had thought of making my own silk screens for this (still an option). Very time consuming but could make multiples quickly. The other option is to get some sort of transfer decal or water slip decal and print it that way....clear coat it or mylar the whole thing. Lots of options ahead. Not 100% on any, but hopefully one will pan out.

#97 1 year ago

I used an overlay on my earthshaker,

I sanded the playfield flat and automotive 2part clear coated it. (Not 2k rattle can)

Sanded flat again, cut and buffed, then lightly sanded to give the overlay tooth.

Applied the overlay.

Then I did a 3 stage 3 layer automotive clear coat.

I finished it two years ago and everything is holding strong still.

mbecker Yeah. I've thought about it too, I think I'm roughly now $1500 in. I plan to stay under $2500 (I think that's going to be pretty close as I have some secretly secret plans ahead...lol!). In terms of completion.....totally depends on family life, pandemic, work and my other homebrew scratch build. I'd love to have it ready by the end of the year.....HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha! but seriously though.....end of 2021 hopefully (Completely finished). Hope to have it flipping before November.......fully playable before next years MGC or Pinball expo. We'll see though.

I honestly don’t see how you can build an entire afm For under $2500, even if you are not using traditional electronics. Unless someone donated parts to your project, or you got some serious freebies coming to you somehow. I’m curious to see what your secretly secretive surprise will be

#98 1 year ago

Thanks mail man!
[quoted image]

Good to see the translite there!

#99 1 year ago

jbovenzi Yes! Arrived finally and super excited! Ordered the tempered glass today! Should see something posted here next week again about that when I'm able to mount the 2 together! Until then, I'm still trying to find my slot cutter bit for my router so I can cut my Glass channel t molding groove in the sides. then I can mount the glass channels, staple them.....and then add the side rails. then the glass.....then the backbox and the translite! WOOT!

#100 1 year ago

Chosen_S Thanks for the helpful walkthrough. I think I've been lucky in finding people who are either willing to sell things at a good price in bundles or getting really luckily finding pieces at a good price. (Some I've had for years....found cheap and was able to store until I could build it). I'm saving a bunch with the DIY playfield....as well as the coin door mod.....side art DIY (Info coming), lockdown mech DIY, custom rails I'm welding myself......etc... so there is a lot of savings everywhere. no freebies (Yet....wink wink) but I won't say no. hahahaha. I'll for sure keep everyone posted as I'm keeping a before/after tax/shipping report on all purchases. Thanks again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!