AFM 370.jpg
AFM 369.jpg
AFM 368.jpg
AFM 367.jpg
AFM 359.jpg
AFM 357.jpg
AFM 355.jpg
AFM 354.jpg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago

man, I hope you got that game cheap. Nice shop area. I think just the picture of the shop you showed was more room than my touchup room and spray booth combined.

#52 10 years ago

OP: You got mad skittles dude!

#53 10 years ago

Looking good hope you picked it up for a great price. Lots of work ahead. But will be amazing when complete.

#54 10 years ago

BTW ...no I paid way to much...nuf said

#55 10 years ago

So Ipicked up my cabinet art from Treasure cove.It is screen printed not Nex gen.

AFM 317.jpgAFM 317.jpg
#56 10 years ago

Nex gen IMO is easier to work with but the screen print cabinet art is a little closer to original. I would love to hear the opinions of the pros on this.

Also started using this

AFM 318.jpgAFM 318.jpg

#57 10 years ago

what is the advantage with Rapid Tac? great work so far!

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

what is the advantage with Rapid Tac? great work so far!

I wanted to try a product specifically designed for this type application.

#59 10 years ago

AFM 321.jpgAFM 321.jpg AFM 323.jpgAFM 323.jpg AFM 324.jpgAFM 324.jpg
#61 10 years ago

Looks nice. If I may make a suggestion, rub your finger perpendicular to the decal edge. Do you feel the decal? Does it want to lift? If it does, cut it again at more of an angle. Do this until you don't feel a thing.

#62 10 years ago

Looks Great !!!

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Looks nice. If I may make a suggestion, rub your finger perpendicular to the decal edge. Do you feel the decal? Does it want to lift? If it does, cut it again at more of an angle. Do this until you don't feel a thing.

Thanks, I tried a different method this time and was very unhappy with the results.

AFM 328.jpgAFM 328.jpg

normally I will set a straight edge in a 16th of an inch. then cut to that,

#64 10 years ago

I will most likely go back and touch it up.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Also started using this

Loved using that.. personal preference of course.

4 weeks later
#66 10 years ago

T-NutsMisc 027.jpgMisc 027.jpgMisc 025.jpgMisc 025.jpg
needs drilled out

#67 10 years ago

now the REAL fun begins. looking great so far!

i'm sure you'll have to drill many holes that aren't there for this repo pf btw glb

#68 10 years ago

I'm starting to see that. Holes to small,dimpling offset.

#69 10 years ago

I always love taking a hammer to brand new, or newly refinished, playfield.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

T-Nuts
needs drilled out

Misc 027.jpg 176 KB

Misc 025.jpg 66 KB

Holy shit. Did a saucer explode under that old field? Looks like a bomb went off in the middle.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Holy shit. Did a saucer explode under that old field? Looks like a bomb went off in the middle.

That AFM kicked some alien a$$

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from LEE:

I always love taking a hammer to brand new, or newly refinished, playfield.

I hear you, not one of the finer parts of restoration.Speaking of that ,cudos to CPR my Taxi pf came t-nut installed.

2 weeks later
#73 10 years ago

Not a lot of action but my parts came back from the powder-coater

Misc 001.jpgMisc 001.jpg Misc 002.jpgMisc 002.jpg
#74 10 years ago

sweet powder coating

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

sweet powder coating

Thanks Bill,
That black will go great with those red ramps you sold me.

#76 10 years ago

Man this is going to be gorgeous!

#77 10 years ago

Looking good. I love the gloss black powder, that should really pop.

FYI – here are some things to look for on the repro pf: (1) dimple holes for the right sling and right flipper were off on my Mirco pf – the slingshot kicker would have been hitting the actual playfield if I installed it using the original dimple holes, (2) if you are going to use a mantis protector at the SOL hole you’ll need to do some dremel work, and (3) the shoot lane will cause you problems (not long or deep enough), so the ball bounces around and doesn’t always make it around the orbit when holding the left flipper button in. You can adjust the auto fire mech. to account for item (3), just takes some tweaking.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, keep up the nice work.

#78 10 years ago

Thanks for the information. It is appreciated

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

if you are going to use a mantis protector at the SOL

I had a cliffy for SOL and Im not liking the fit. The back of ti tends to stick up a bit when Items are attached over it. I saw a few with mantis protectors an I'm considering changing it. Any thoughts?

#81 10 years ago

I did a mantis in my mirco. Im like you, i dont like the look of a cliffy at the sol. They do not perfect fit perfectly in the sol. I got mine very close. Not as good as I wanted but close enough that I could live with it. I was also dealing with the thick clear coat in the opening. Kerry @ Mantis doesn't recommend them on mirco because of the fit but with work they are good.

image-503.jpgimage-503.jpgimage-598.jpgimage-598.jpgimage-959.jpgimage-959.jpg

#82 10 years ago

I had a cliffy in mine on my Mirco, and took it out. It doesn't sit right with a thick clearcoat.

#83 10 years ago

Looking good. I love the gloss black powder, that should really pop.
FYI – here are some things to look for on the repro pf: (1) dimple holes for the right sling and right flipper were off on my Mirco pf – the slingshot kicker would have been hitting the actual playfield if I installed it using the original dimple holes, (2) if you are going to use a mantis protector at the SOL hole you’ll need to do some dremel work, and (3) the shoot lane will cause you problems (not long or deep enough), so the ball bounces around and doesn’t always make it around the orbit when holding the left flipper button in. You can adjust the auto fire mech. to account for item (3), just takes some tweaking.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product, keep up the nice work.

Hi,

Can you elaborate on 'adjusting the auto fire mech' please?

I'm mid-restore and not far off this stage, so any detailed tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I had a cliffy for SOL and Im not liking the fit. The back of ti tends to stick up a bit when Items are attached over it. I saw a few with mantis protectors an I'm considering changing it. Any thoughts?

Personally, I like the mantis ones more. I think they look better and don't affect the ball during game play.

Installed them on MB and AFM:

http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/wp-content/gallery/monster-bash/50.jpg
http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/?page_id=125

You might have to widen the area where the martian switch is located though, as the mantis protector fits in there as well.

#85 10 years ago

This looks great, man. Brian Eddy's best game, and one of my top 3 of all time.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Hi,
Can you elaborate on 'adjusting the auto fire mech' please?
I'm mid-restore and not far off this stage, so any detailed tips would be much appreciated.
Cheers,Paul.

Hi Paul,

I found that the shooter lane wasn’t deep enough, so the coil plunger was hitting slightly above the center of the pinball. So, I used some washers to raise the height of the entire coil assembly to compensate. It’s crazy what a fraction of an inch will do. This took some trial and error to get right, but in the end it did work. This might have just been an issue with my pf though. Hope this helps.

I guess you could route out the slot the auto fire mech. fits in as well, gotta love clear coat

#87 10 years ago

Mike ,That chrome version looks phenomenal.
Did you make or purchase the green plastics on the right side. I was considering making them in red.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Did you make or purchase the green plastics on the right side. I was considering making them in red.

I believe those are from Pinbits.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_11&products_id=499&zenid=5lgln9790rl61dk2dl1n285q92

#89 10 years ago

Hi Paul,
I found that the shooter lane wasn’t deep enough, so the coil plunger was hitting slightly above the center of the pinball. So, I used some washers to raise the height of the entire coil assembly to compensate. It’s crazy what a fraction of an inch will do. This took some trial and error to get right, but in the end it did work. This might have just been an issue with my pf though. Hope this helps.
I guess you could route out the slot the auto fire mech. fits in as well, gotta love clear coat

This is a common problem on many games with auto plungers. I'm glad you posted this, Mike. Maybe you should make a thread so it's easily searchable. My LOTR auto plunge wouldn't kick the ball hard enough to put it into play, so I'd always have to manually plunge during multiballs. Same issue, just a tiny tweak to where the ball was struck made all the difference.

#90 10 years ago

Hi Paul,

Much appreciated. I look forward to the challenges that lay ahead

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Not a lot of action but my parts came back from the powder-coater

Misc 001.jpg 255 KB

Misc 002.jpg 223 KB

Looks great - I have done almost exactly the same, except I did NOT do the wireforms, they're still metal/chrome, but I DID do the coin door.

#92 10 years ago

Great job!!

Is the powdercoat on the ramps gonna last with the ball passing through a million times?

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Great job!!
Is the powdercoat on the ramps gonna last with the ball passing through a million times?

I've been told by others it does

#94 10 years ago

Amazing work! I dig the black ramps.

#95 10 years ago

Got a few hours in today. wet sanding and buffing rails

photo-838.JPGphoto-838.JPG
#96 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I've been told by others it does

Hmm......
I would love to see the progress when you start playing the machine. Are you gonna "document" it?
I ask because I would love to do that on my Sopranos.

My FGY has a red wire ramp (factory installed) and it's flawless. Maybe they use some kind of special treatment at Stern?

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Hmm......
I would love to see the progress when you start playing the machine. Are you gonna "document" it?
I ask because I would love to do that on my Sopranos.
My FGY has a red wire ramp (factory installed) and it's flawless. Maybe they use some kind of special treatment at Stern?

Remind me when its finished and played a while and I will be more than happy to check the game count and take pictures.

#98 10 years ago

Ive always been a fan of natural wood.On my Tom restoration I used black walnut on the rails in a natural finish. I want to keep with the black theme so I'm using it again. Only this time I will stain it in ebony.

ToMMisc 013.jpgMisc 013.jpg
Cut
Misc 014.jpgMisc 014.jpg
Stained
Misc 015.jpgMisc 015.jpg
Original on the left
Misc 017.jpgMisc 017.jpg

#99 10 years ago

I have never been crazy about the optional rear artwork. I improvised

photo-472.JPGphoto-472.JPG
#100 10 years ago

if you are going to use a mantis protector at the SOL hole you’ll need to do some dremel work,

Thanks again dremel used

Misc 039.jpgMisc 039.jpg Misc 038.jpgMisc 038.jpg Misc 037.jpgMisc 037.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 21.50
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-restoration-the-beginning/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.