IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_1720 (resized).JPG
Dots2 (resized).jpg
Dots (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I tend to agree with you. I think the whole remake business model relies in an 8,000 minimum price point and the intent is to obviously target games for remake ONLY if they sit at or above that cost for current existing units. I agree that AFMr might miss the mark because its not going to work within their pricing strategy unless they lower their price (and cut their profit margin) since very nice AFM sit at 7500-9000 roughly.

That logic only makes sense if you're targeting hardcore hobbyists, which they're not. People who just want some games in their gameroom and don't follow all *this* go to gameroom stores/retailers with a top 10 list and say "Hey I want these games". AFM is on that list. There are a lot of people who'd rather buy new from a retailer than a rando from a forum or craigslist. This product fills a need for that type of customer. For everyone that cries "refake" or "but you can get a nice original for $x" on a forum, they sell 100 remakes to people who don't care about forum-land.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

The problem for them is that you can get a very nice AFM for around that price already. I bought a so-so one for $5.5K, new playfield and decals set me back another $1K and a playfield swap and assorted other parts and for around $7.5K I have a very nice AFM.

Again, that's how hobbyists think. Dr. Joe Schmoe who wants a pinball machine for his house calls a gameroom store and says "I want this brand new game with a warranty" ...they deliver, he has his game. He doesn't know or care what a Pinside is or what Scuzzball McGurk is selling on Craigslist or eBay.

#51 7 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

I'm curious as to why, (your experience) and not because I want to stir any shit. I thought the MM remake looked really nice aside from the delays...etc.

I bought MMr, got it May 2015, still have it and really enjoy it. That being said, I'm highly unlikely to buy another PPS game. For me, charging for the color update was a greedy dick move for short term dollars while ignoring the long-game value of customer loyalty. They got my $200, but will forfeit future thousands. I was also considering buying some of those 3D translites...but decided to close my wallet.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Meh... I hope you are right... but I probably won't even play it unless there is pricing announced and it's "reasonable" to the current used market. No... JJP / Stern prices are not a realistic "target" for this machine. If they announce at TPF >$8k... I'll be there to laugh at them and then expect them to fail shipping enough of them to break even.

Always remember:

-They do not have the development cost of other companies. B/W designed the games already. Their custom stuff was forged on MMr already.

-Their market isn't only hardcore forum maniacs and DIY hobbyists.

These remakes have an audience, it's mostly not "us"...there's more profit per unit vs. other companies and their newly developed titles. They don't have to sell many for it to be worthwhile for CGC.

2 weeks later
#161 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I'm not sure I get the big secret on pricing? At least stern has the balls (no pun intended) to give us the prices straight up.

Doug from CGC explained in one of these threads that pricing will be revealed on March 24

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

What is the deal with the translight box?

All WPC'95 games have it to hold the lights instead of having a 'swing-out' light board like the earlier WPC games.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Thanks , I never went inside a medieval madness remake before .

It's not just MMr, they're copying the original design of WPC'95 games. Monster Bash, No Good Gofers, Scared Stiff, etc....all of those original games have these "light tubs" attached to the backglass.

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Nothing wrong with getting a remake but your line of reasoning makes no sense. My original still looks and plays like new after 15 years and all aspects of it are easily fixable and well-known. Who knows how robust or easily fixable these new boards are?
Probably fine but I expect my machine to outlast me... we have no data on these new ones.

Well we're a few years in on MMR. Have there been any board problem reports? Mine has been fine. Sounds like location ones are doing fine.

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Hopefully that continues. My question would be how hard/easy will these be to fix vs the original? Especially if you run into board issues. Do you just replace the whole board? I expect them to hold up better than the originals....just wondering what you're looking at when issues eventually appear.

Everything is repairable. All I know is that almost every B/W game I've ever owned has had burnt connectors, battery damage, and other issues ...I know these games won't have those issues, at least!

#251 7 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Really thinking about getting a AFMr but I already have a really clean RFM. Anyone else own both? I feel like you just own one or the other, otherwise they compete with each other?

I had both and sold AFM. RFM is cooler.

That being said, I'm intrigued by AFMr. I love the giant display and new animation.

#254 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ugh. RfM is fun, but the video modes got old for me very fast. Same deal on the other Pin2K. I would never have a Pin2K back again. I might have an AfM again some day, but not the remake.

Dude, have you played RFM? There are literally zero video modes. Zero. It's pure pinball and all projections from the monitor are interactive targets. AFM has a video mode!!!!

#265 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah despite how clever and impressive the "floating" animations looked... it lost the general "randomness" pinball can seem to have and the scenes (modes) got repetitive real quick. "oh no it's the bar scene again"... that kinda deal.

Such a weird complaint. Every pinball machine has the same "scene" because it can't do anything otherwise. The late 90's B/W games tried to make one toy (MM castle, AFM ship, CP's boxer) into multiple characters through sound clips ...but you were always seeing the same toy. RFM gets you tons of characters and scenarios due to the hologram animation. You get the bar scene....then another, then another, then another! It has more variety on the playfield than any other game.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Not only have I played it, I've completed it. So, specifically, I was referring to the modes where video is overlaid on the screen in the form of comedic scenes with targets, where the comedy wears very thin very quickly due to the repetition. Didn't like it.

So hitting the same ship in AFM or the same castle in MM isn't repetition? Just such an odd complaint that is at odds with the reality of these games. Oh well, enjoy that AFM video mode lol.

I'm glad RFM is still cheap. It's a hidden gem...people can get a great game at a great price due to some odd prejudices by "purists" who don't even understand what the game is, even if they've played it. Meanwhile, people lost their shit over GB's Ecto goggles, which is a mini version of RFM's effect....yet pretty much does nothing lol.

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

It seems like you're upset with people that don't love it even after they've played the thing... which is odd. But like you said... "more gems for you"

You misunderstand. I don't care if you love it or want to chop it up with an axe....I just want some honesty. To say RFM has "video modes" is flat out wrong. A video mode is when the game stops...and you play a game on the display. Zero pinball happens during this time. That never happens on RFM, it's constantly physical pinball action. This game has had that misconception for years, and it's baffling....people still think it's the same as Baby Pac-Man....sometimes video, sometimes pinball - that's not the case with RFM. SWEp1? Sure, that game blows lol ...but RFM is pure PINBALL. If you don't like the game, that's fine.

#276 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Too high...my wallet is closed.

I actually think the pricing is quite fair considering today's market. People said after MMr there's no way they'd sell AFMr for less....and look, they are! ...and the LE is essentially the same price as MMr but you get way more stuff...the topper, the upgraded saucer lights, the giant screen, blades (I think?), etc...

#280 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Meh, they'll sell. Not to me though. It's an ok price and right where I expected to be honest. I'd rather buy a RFM and have the other $4000 in the bank.

It's weird, I've had an AFM, wasn't overly thrilled with it...sold it...still have/love my RFM. I'm strangely intrigued by AFMr LE. I'm not going to rush out and order one, mind you....but I'll be watching.

#282 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Who said that? They're idiots.

People who assumed CGC/PPS would be greedy and not go lower in price than their first game. Like you said....idiots. lol

Quoted from Aurich:

Only people who made any sense were the ones who said no f**king way they could sell it for the same price as MMR.
What's freight like now? I figure around $400, is that ballpark? And what? Another $400 if you want to upgrade to color animations on the low end model? So $7300 shipped or so?

Yeah, it just makes more sense to get the SE then, unless you really really don't want color dots!

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If only PPS was able to, or did, include a new ruleset with their remakes It would be awesome if a new ruleset existed in additional to the original with the ability to choose either one in settings.

What other ruleset would you want with AFM? Most people claim it to be perfection.

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from levcrush:

Are the LEs limited at all?

To 1000.

#301 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno, I'm gonna chill on it. Right now the $400 color price is irritating me, but that's fine, ordering now seems stupid anyways. Plenty of time later after other people have tested the build process for me.

Yeah, Standard and SE are "unlimited" ...no reason to jump on it unless you wanna be first.

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah I never mentioned it had "video modes" nor did Vic. And neither did you when you quoted us both. Now I *am* confused.
Maybe you got yer meds mixed up today? No biggie

Quoted from PinMonk:

Ugh. RfM is fun, but the video modes got old for me very fast

My meds, eh? Awaiting your apology.

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah I don't like video modes generally in pinball either.

Fantastic. RFM has zero. AFM has one.

#309 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Sooooooo...these are available now?

To order. Production in May.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
$ 45.00
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

16,500 (OBO)
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 79.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remakewho-is-in?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.