image_(resized).jpg
4065_20010_4284_(resized).jpg
image-10_(resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg
lucky-1_(resized).jpg
finger-1_(resized).jpg
captain_obvious_(resized).jpg
20050808-010e_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from WIKED:

With AFMR being the next CGC/PPS title and due to be announced early this year, what price would be be willing to pay for it?
I heard it will be around $6500-$7000. If they can sell it for that then that's about on par in my part of the world for a restored AFM.

they cant even get MMr produced and out the door so even IF AFMr is the next title it appears it will be years before you can get one.

For price, MMr was unique since that was where originals were selling for 11-12k. AFM can still be found in lpayers condition for ~1/2 that. They need to be below Stern Premium pricing if they want to compete/sell.

5500 -6000 at max. There is almost no tech in AFM and no reason for it to be more than that.

Aside form that it seems AFM are readily found currently...

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

they know what the market will bear for the original and will price accordingly in my opinion. I see most afms going for 6000-6500. That means 7995.00 for the new one I'm guessing

funny part is that they will miss out on lots of sales if they try to shoot for 8k.

Honestly it is all a moot point since they have made such a debackle of the MMr thing anyway. The lies and deception combined with scapegoating and inability to actually get them out the door have hurt the whole remake thing. What is the reality of when AFMr would even be availabel for purchase? 2 years from now?

I have not been paying attention, but how many MMr are actually delivered at this point?

#30 8 years ago

That is cool. Would help them greatly if they actually had them built and ready for delivery.

Honestly, it is a huge pass unless it is competitive with Premium/ RZ/ Heighway pricepoint.

WAY TOO MANY other options at that price point! I will always spend on NEW innovation rather than a remake with no innovation for a company that continues to hoard licenses and not get much done by way of new parts since they took all IPB assets. They have to make an extra good deal for me to give them money.

At this point I see a negative to giving them funds. If they were actually doing more with those funds to push pinball forward (or at least get more reproduciton parts out the door) then I woudl give them a pass.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Actually it was my contact at CGC that told me they were doing ten titles.
LTG : )

unfortunately ANYTHING even remotely associated with Rick can not be trusted! Heck I could post 5 things just from pinside that he promised over a year ago and NOTHING has come from it. The man lies more than anyone I know!

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Rick isn't my contact at CGC.
LTG : )™

yes, but he would be the licensee/or for anything they do.

He is so full of it. it is crazy. How many games has he promised parts for 12, 18, 24 months ago and NOTHING? CGC unfortunately can only be trusted as much as the guy holding the cookie jar.

Aside form that, Rick has blamed them for most of the ongoing issues with MMr. It seems even he thinks they can not be trusted.

At the rate they are going, 9 more titles will take them over 20 years to produce.

They want everyone to think everything is in jeopardy of being remade at anytime. Their whole ploy is to try and kill the market on used pins. Probably also a large part of the reason that so few parts are getting reproduced. Sad Sad Sad man that is still attempting to control so much of the hobby we love and money grab for all he can.

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

How many companies actually promised to build machines and haven't delivered and have actually folded? I believe 3 now?
Are the machines being deliveried slowly? Yes. Are there issues. Yes. But are there MMr's out there. Yes.
Wholly? Predator? JPop?

First point worth noting it that WOOLY never folded. They did EXACTLY as they promised. They opened upt he idea of making their game IF they could get 100 people committed by a specific date. When they did not get 100 people committed they did EXACTLY what they said and gave everyone back 100% of the deposit! They never folded. They never flaked. They never took money and did not deliver or hold that money for years with interest.

Quoted from ChrisS:

I'm just glad someone is actually making parts at this point. 5-7+ years ago there was little to no chance of specific parts being made for a lot of machines. Now someone has found a way to make a business out of it. Good for them. If you get your hopes up before you see the release of a product your just silly.

Unfortunately in the past 2 years, part production has gone down and not up. The real problem I have with the currnet PPS model is the lies and promises to deliver on a multitude of products that never come around. How many times have they abused the community for market research, NOS parts on 'loan', and promises of new parts coming and then ZILCH? They are using social games to try and undermine the hobby as a whole.

Quoted from ChrisS:

It's a business. There are people and salaries that have to be paid. If not the business folds and then your back to square 1.

Actually square 1 would be better. License holders that are actually making products themselves and have a vested interest in how customers are treated and products getting done in a reasonable amount of time. Right now the entire business model is built on selling license rights for other to remake stuff but then no concern with real quality or it customers just get scammed (WH2O topper anyone?; some of the poor quality backglasses in the past year). Square 1 would mean the actual possibility that someone will come in and build more quality parts.

Quoted from ChrisS:

Also you must have accidentally omitted the MMr in your wish list or collection because you have a lot of negative things to say about a machine you don't have any involvement in concerning the process of purchasing or waiting on.

My concern is for the hobby as a whole. I dont need to be in on or own a MMr to understand than a vaccuum of this amount of $ out of the hobby is overall just a cash grab and an overall negative. I would rather see people buy uncoded but new games from Stern as they are reinvesting in pinball for the long term. PPS has this whole vocal stance that "NO GAME IS SAFE and WE WILL REMAKE THEM ALL" just because he wants to undermine the seconday market values and volume of sales on all 'possible' remake games. He wants that instability and wants the money going to him/his business only it appears. Sure it is good business, but all at teh cost of the hobby in the long term.

A healthy secondary market is a big part of the resurgance of our hobby the past 10 years.

Quoted from ChrisS:

Are you actually telling me that every pin you have purchased you sell for what you purchased it for or you take a lose? I find that hard to believe. I think we all figure out the cost of the pin, blood sweat and tears labor, and parts we put into the machines and then add a couple bucks so we can purchase the next one. So would I be a sad man because I chose to make a couple bucks?

I am not a business and I bring value when I refurb a game. The FEW games I have actually sold, some I have made money on and others I have lost (I think of it more of got my money out since there is value in playing/ owning the game even if I sell it for less), but that is really apples and oranges to PPS. If it is the same to you, then to me the largest difference is all my money goes straight back into supporting/promoting the hobby.

#176 8 years ago

What happened... get tired of Ice verbally beating you up in TBL so came over here

I am not sure where you keep pulling this 15-20k number from??? Most nice/good condition MM were selling for 11-12k prior to MMr.
Those that sold at 15k plus were professionally restored and nice (still WAY nicer than what we have seen out of the remakes).

Those that sold MM back in the height of secondary market were not cash grabbing. They were selling at current market value of a limited collectible. They most likely took any money they made on the sale an put it right back into the hobby by buying other games.

I support Stern (even with uncoded junk) ahead of this complete lack of innovation remake junk. If they were going to remake the desirable titles it would have been nice to at least see some innovation and mechanical improvements instead of cheaping out with drivers mounted with troll mech trhough holes, lol. Junk and poor design combined with a main desire to take the money and run.

MMr may be good for Stern in the way of making 1k per game to build them but not as good as them making new games and making all the profit.

I am glad you are happy with your new MMr! That is genuinely great. However, I still can be happy for you on an individual level and disagree with giving funds to a company that lies to their customers with any examples on a regular basis and takes the cash and funnels it out of the hobby.

It still amazes me that we have people going on 2? years of being paid in full for MMr and they still dont have their game!

#179 8 years ago

proof of poor design?

ummmm.... Anyone can tell you that mounting boards with regularly used coils firing directly through the holes cut in the boards is a bad design. Exposed boards is a bad design. There is a reason we dont see this in games over the past 30 years

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

This is the only part of your opinion even I have to challenge my friend. I will never support uncoded junk from whomever. Reason why I stopped buying NIB Sterns UNTIL the code I feel is complete enough. Which I know is subjective, but you know what I mean. Stern is also doing remakes called VE. What they did with Spidey - I give them credit for at least new sound package - but the price point on same tech/innovation is BS.
Again, I support people being able to make the margin they need for their business - but hard to call kettle black when one your defending is similar in ways.
Just keeping it real.

sorry, my poor typing...

I meant " I would rather support Stern"

I buy Stern games to put on route because it is the only option out there for regularly interval new games at a reasonable price. Decisions for route purchases are VERY different than if I will buy for myself.

That said, Stern will get my money for new innovation way before PPS ever sees a dime for a remake.

It is really a lesser of 2 evils

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

pf on IJ and JD for example

those are light boards... They dont have any high failure components aside from the pins for connectors which commonly need to be reflowed and are a great example of how you should NOT put boards arounf heavy vibration and coil dust mechs.

MMr is a really poor design and it was done to try and cheap out on production and assembly cost.

#204 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

It's not a bad design. It's exactly what Stern has gone to. It's what Williams would have gone to if they were still around.

I dont know of ANY Sterns with coils actually firing in the middle of game specific boards. Examples please.

From what we have seen with spike, there are multiple non game specific boards set to the side and in regions of the pf. No mechs going through these, nothing game specific about them, and they are readily interchangeable with a few dip switch changes if you have one of the handful of correct node boards.

From what I can see these are not even remotely similar designs.

Stern has attempted to do something to make it easier to replace a board and made sure the nodes are small enough that they dont have mechs pounding them about.

#213 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I didn't know TAF was planned, or possible. The Raul Julia estate is the problem.
LTG : )™

It isn't but they have told people it is on the list of possible remakes just to try and have an impact on any secondary market.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.