(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #394 Photo of boards in backbox Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #942 Video of AFMr LE gameplay from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #950 More gameplay video of AFMr from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #983 Video of the AFMr LE Topper in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #1157 Statement on pricing rules for AFMr from a dealer Posted by hassellcastle (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Can't figure out why all the mystery on pricing...just post it already!

Damage control...

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think the giant screen looks cool! If ColorDmd made "Jumbo ColorDmd" kits, people would be all over it.
Green trim is dopey. Rick said no more trim options after MMr. Lol

The analogy to ColorDMD isn't good - because this will include new art to take advantage of the bigger screen, while a ColorDMD can not in the current design.

And Trim Options. Well they aren't options... its buy level X and get the standard trim for it.

But I imagine the LE will change it's tune unless they've already ordered a ton of parts.

#120 7 years ago

The video just posted on facebook shows not only are the speakers LED lit. They appear to be game controlled and multicolor as well. So not just cycling, but actual game code controlled.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Interesting the different warranties.. assuming the machines are all the same parts (aside from trim and bling), you're basically making the warranty part of the "LE" package by extending it for a year.

Excatly.. it's just another way to bundle in a 'feature' to help justify the price.

I expect these to probaby be 8-12k for the range on the conservative side. LE could even be much more...

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Is the Standard version less reliable? No. They should all have the same warranty.

Nearly every business now sells 'extended warranties' - This is you getting one thrown in for the price you paid for that tier.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So the jumbo screen...is it gonna be like when you parents can't figure out how to work the aspect ratio? Are the aliens all going to appear to be short and fat?

No, it has the custom art like the MMR color upgrade. You can see it already in the videos posted that show the attract mode.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

could you link the video? I can't find it

This user has it in their live videos
https://www.facebook.com/arcadecaptain/

#587 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

But afm has the 4 moving Martians and 3 target motorized drop bank and drop target behind it. . I dont think theres much difference in the cost between the 2 really. The castle is little more complex but overall they both use about the same amount of stuff.

AFM martians.. target bank is one motor.. one drop target.. kicker for ship and the plastic ships.. two poppers. 3 plastic ramps, 2 habit trails. Saucer assembly, (I wouldn't even count the aliens). 20+2 coils.. 51 switches.. 1 motor.

MM.. catapult.. motorized drawbridge.. castle gate.. actuated castle.. two trolls.. partial subway. 2 plastic ramps, 3 habit trails.. 2 troll assemblies, the gate and drawbridge assemblies.. castle assembly. 19+4 coils, 52 switches.. . 1 motor

I think MM has it beat by a long shot. More coils, more assemblies, more formed plastic, more habitrails, more assembly.

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

A lot of the R&D developing the beaglebone black based system has been paid for through MMr so there will be some savings there.

No, what you get is recovery of the capital sunk into the developing the platform.. you don't make the game cheaper due to that, you use the higher margin to repay yourself.

#608 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thats not much difference really and u forgot the special things on afm like strobe /board and mothership pcb with leds.. Afm has more elaborate metal scoop and subway system compared to the plastic tub/moat on mm . The castle is super cool on mm and definitely more to it tho. Id bet they were fairly close b.o.m wise back in the 90s tho. Both have some better things than one another and are also fairy similar. Im just glad im able to have both beside one another.

I left out PCBs deltas yes... mainly because its hard to quantify the meaningful cost delta there vs other deltas not mentioned (like metal work). The point was to contrast the difference in 'common elements' between the games to show that even tho the games were both fan layouts, both of the same generation, and both have a central bash target.. there are still significant deltas in the things we take for granted. I also didn't go into how many custom molds would be needed for each game, # of flash bulbs, etc.. you gotta stop somewhere for a simple comparison

Even in big ticket items.. Attack has one motor, one saucer toy, and alien poppers, with only the ships and ramps being new plastic. MM has castle towers, castle gate, castle bridge, catapult, trolls, damsel, castle walls, all significant assemblies and all with new plastic. There is a reason Stern tries to make alot their stuff out of flat cut plastics these days

#609 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Interesting to note--the warranty differs depending on the model

Think of it as getting an extended warranty thrown in by your sales guy to put you over the edge to buy the more expensive model.

Its like tools.. You buy the commodity part..you get a standard warranty.. or you buy the 'pro' tool and it comes with a lifetime warranty. It's part of the price justification they charge for the higher priced product.. not that they expect the other product to fail sooner.

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It's a random award from the stroke of luck scoop. Usually awards every couple of games. Not the best video mode but not the worst.

In tournament mode I think it's the third SOL award?

#763 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And RD was kind enough to snap a few photos to show how well that modern clearcoat holds up after a few days use.

And think about what that means to all the stories that Stern switching PF companies being the source of the bad PFs

#764 7 years ago
Quoted from NonStopSwagger:

Yup I'm serious. And why wouldn't it work, isn't it just a security key? Like one of those PC dongles you needed to run Autocad back in the day. My understanding is the color code is not on the security chip, but won't 'turn on' without it.
That way I don't have to spend another $400 to take it for a demo. I can try it out, see if its worth the $$$$.
Or are you saying AFMR doesn't use that security chip method to enable color like in MMR?

It would be trivial to make the check code for AFMr different than MMr even if using the same basic concepts. Given all the time they took to come up with the locking system.. I'd expect they'd like to keep using it for AFMr.

#765 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd love to see how an original AFM looked like after a few days on location.
Probably exactly the same.

The 'every game has a cliffy' isn't something that started in the 90s.. and there are plenty of original playfields that were not blown out or chipped.

Chipping vs wearing is what is so different with the current processes.

#902 7 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Before people start bombarding PPS with balled up wads of cash on this one remember this is a whole new "gate". The manufacturing performance that you came to know (and somewhat love) on the last game was 100% courtesy of Gary Stern and his pinball factory. Chicago Gaming is building this one in-house, on an assembly line that nobody has even seen pictures of, from a team that has only built one very low production game on 15 years ago. I love you guys but you need to focus less on toppers and more on how this is going to work as pinball machines are STILL very hard to manufacture. The setup for another 3 or 4 years of JJP-style whining about where is my game is all over this announcement. Instead of worrying about rail color you guys need to be asking for pictures of the assembly line, and the 150 or so employees they would have needed to hire to crank these out as quickly as Gary did...

True.. but CGC is not an upstart from zero like JJP or others. CGC has been manufacturing for a long time.. just not full pins. And of the most parts that can't be fixed easily afterwards (cabinets, playfields, inserts) they are the grand-daddys of. For other bits.. like sourcing, engineering, etc they've already done it before. It's just getting the games physically built. Software they've already shown whomever they used did a reasonable job.

To me, QA, output rate, and of course 'Do I want a 2017 playfield and PCBs' is the only real things to question. If they can't build fast enough.. that's a great problem to have. I'd be more worried about spotty, inconsistent building.

#904 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Pricing is slightly better than I expected, but not aggressive enough to move the market.

Not a market disruptor, but cheap enough to get all the 'gotta buy the next game' people to buy in I'm sure. I think the manufacturers will take notice... 5-8k? People will buy... and say "at least its not xyz". 8k+? People start moaning and tougher to justify.

Personally I think 6k+ is too much for the toys, but the number of "i'm in" buyers seems to be there for the 7k+ prices still.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.50
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 79.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

16,500 (OBO)
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-has-landed-in-dallas-texas-with-pics?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.