(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 26.
#301 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Sorry, but Stern dimple talk is just annoying at this point. There is no dimple-gate. It's not a thing. I picked up 3 new Sterns last year and none are dimpling any more or less than any other Stern ever.
The SMVE does have some ghosting inserts (definitely a thing), but nobody notices but me and Stern is going to replace it.
And for all the JJP strokers, wasn't this a Mirco playfield?

I haven't seen any Sterns do that.

No, that picture is from a very early WOZ that didn't use a Mirco playfield. JJP switched playfield manufactures for WOZ in 2014 I believe from "Bader" to Mirco. Also, only a small handful of early games had playfield issues, many are perfectly fine. One of the issues was JJP not putting down mylar in high wear areas such as between the pops (where the wear is at in the pic), that was a mistake on their part. JJP did sent out mylar kits eventually but still they should have taken care of the install at the factory.

The early WOZ playfield issues that occurred in some games sucked but that was over 4 years ago, the problem was corrected years ago and it also occured on a few of the very first games JJP ever created. All JJP games made at some point in 2014 and going forward have a Mirco playfield.

Stern on the other hand has been around for 30 years, and is charging more then ever for their products...I expect far better from them for being such a long standing established company. I hope that PPS doesn't have similar playfield issues and that the games are very high quality (playfield on my friends MMR looks really nice).

#302 7 years ago

Why is Rick the way he is? Seems as if he is toxic for his company.

#303 7 years ago

Martian Green cabinet trim - ughhh. That is the MOST horrid color choice. Come on that can't be set in stone - can it?

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Why is Rick the way he is? Seems as if he is toxic for his company.

I haven't seen him on here lately. Maybe he will let this one sink or swim all on it's own this time.

Nothing like making a bunch of promises and then having to pass the blame later on.

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Why is Rick the way he is?

I can't speak for Rick.

But if I read through over 300 posts ( on one of several threads ) of people bitching and attacking something I was trying to accomplish. And so much information that is wrong. I'd probably be a little testy too.

LTG : )

#306 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I haven't seen him on here lately. Maybe he will let this one sink or swim all on it's own this time.
Nothing like making a bunch of promises and then having to pass the blame later on.

I think this one sinks. Only way it works is if price is 6495 for the standard.

#307 7 years ago

Most people on pinside seem to be fairly intelligent, and I'm sure most can spot lies and BS a mile away. I'm sure PPS talked as many people out of buying the last remake as he did into buying it. With that kind of average, why bother at all?

#308 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I think this one sinks.

don't bet on it

#309 7 years ago

This remake looks really good. Classic game for a reason. One of the most fun out there with wonderful humor. The scoop definitely needs a Cliffy from the factory though given the wear already present on these demo models.

#310 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I can't speak for Rick.
But if I read through over 300 posts ( on one of several threads ) of people bitching and attacking something I was trying to accomplish. And so much information that is wrong. I'd probably be a little testy too.

I'll give you that there's a lot of that on Pinside; a lot of negativity in general. But when you're running a company, you need to listen to the trends in the negative feedback from possible customers. Many people in here have rejected the green armor - that seems to be a pretty solid consensus. Others are split on the bigger screen and topper...even the speaker grills and lights.

You've got to have a thick skin and take the good with the bad. It's what helped Jack make The Hobbit better and will help him tweak Dialed In. It's what will help Rick make the top two models of this game better as well (and that's why not pricing it yet is brilliant). He has to filter out the noise of varied opinions and look for trends.

I think the classic model looks great...just like the original, and it allows people to mod a new version of a classic game to their liking.

#311 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think the classic model looks great...just like the original, and it allows people to mod a new version of a classic game to their liking.

Bingo !

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Cool! I may order one and mod it with incandescent lights just like the original.

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Cool! I may order one and mod it with incandescent lights just like the original.

If only it was that easy, lol.

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

lol wise guy...maybe you could also put back the high voltage strobe board and bulb

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

maybe you could also put back the high voltage strobe board and bulb

Would the one out of my Flash Gordon work?

#316 7 years ago

Good on them. I hope they sell thousands.

#317 7 years ago

Looks good so far.
Id opt out of every mechanical or electrical warranty on this remake for them to simply opt in to a better customer experience going forward.

#318 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, but you guys posting on the price don't get the business model ....
Just hypothetically ...
100 units sold at $8000 = 800,000 less say $5000 per unit cost = $300,000 profit.
To make the same profit at $6500 retail, they'd need to make and sell 200 machines. ($1500 profit x 200 = $300k)
Selling less machines for more profit is what a business dreams of doing.
(The $5000 is an arbitratory figure, I think it would actually be far less than that, but the figures above make my point)
rd

That's why they have two machines above the standard. Those should be their "higher profit" machines. The standard should be at a price point to drive volume, keep the assembly lines moving. Profit margins on standards can be made up on upgrades, mods, toppers, etc. It will be a lot tougher to drive any type of volume with an 8k standard machine going head to head with all the other NIB games coming out. Personally at 8k for a standard costing me 9k once i get the upgrades i want, i'd pass and buy a used B/W AFM then put my NIB money towards Dialed in, Alien, or the new Star Wars coming out. That's just me, others could think way different.

#319 7 years ago

Let me try to address a few common questions.

Regarding the delay in announcing pricing on AFM, we want to afford all of our dealers the opportunity to start selling AFM at the same time. The art assets for dealer websites are being distributed early next week which should provide enough time for dealers to complete webpages before the start of TPF. We had somewhat wrongly assumed that dealers would be unable to take orders without pricing. ALL DEALERS ARE PROHIBITED FROM TAKING DEPOSITS BEFORE PRICING HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED.

Pricing and product details will be released at 5pm CST on March 24th. I believe most people will be pleasantly surprised.

Regarding the XL Display,
1) It is in fact exactly the same aspect ratio as the original display.
2) Diagonally, it measures roughly 19” which provides almost twice the viewable area.
3) As for MMR, Athyrio Games was contracted to created all new artwork at 4x the resolution of the original. They did an amazing job.
4) The huge display with the Athyrio graphics is really striking. I’m looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback at TPF.
5) If you don’t like the RGB illuminated speakers, there is an operator setting the allows you to turn the LEDs off.

Chicago Gaming will be assembling the games. In the seventeen years I have been with CGC, Churchill and CGC have assembled over 50,000 arcade games. In addition to our own proprietary products we have done full arcade game assembly for Konomi, Sega, Namco, Global VR and Raw Thrills. Recognizing the unique challenges of pinball assembly, we have spent the last four months setting up our line, designing production fixtures and staffing up with a core of employees with extensive pinball experience.

I don’t think a game can be accurately assessed from a handful of cellphone photos. Please come to Texas Pinball Festival and see for yourself. Even if you don’t come to see AFM, TPF is always a blast! Plus, I’ll buy you a beer if you tell me you like the green trim (you have to seem sincere). I hope to see you in Texas!

--Doug Duba

AFM LE (resized).jpgAFM LE (resized).jpg

AFM-CE (resized).jpgAFM-CE (resized).jpg

AFM-SE (resized).jpgAFM-SE (resized).jpg

#320 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I can't speak for Rick.

Agreed. But Rick had no one to blame but himself. He is the one that made the promises. He was the face of the project. He talked a good game, encouraged people to call if they had issues, etc.. But as soon as things went bad, it was always someone else's problem or responsibility. When those that really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt started calling him out on his BS the tide turned, he created his own forum (same issues, just far less public). Took his marbles and went home. And that's just with MMR.

People bitched about and attacked Jack too. But, unlike Rick, he took responsibility for his actions and mistakes and got a lot of credit here for taking and acting on Pinsider's suggestions (see Hobbit playfield redesign).

It's really hard to feel sorry for Rick.

Getting back on topic - I hope whoever is the decision maker for CGC reconsiders that slime green on the LE. I'm not sure I've seen a single positive comment about it. It appears stainless is an option on the LE, but that's not much of an option.

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from Doug_Duba:

Plus, I’ll buy you a beer if you tell me you like the green trim (you have to seem sincere).

Green beer seems pretty appropriate this time of year. Enough of that and that trim should look marvelous!

#322 7 years ago

Doug - thanks for the timely post. The info is much appreciated.

But I don't think you are going to be buying many beers in Texas ....

#323 7 years ago

Oh, and nice to have you back. Haven't seen you on here since the defective playfields showed up and the announcement of the color upgrade price on the last one.

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Agreed. But Rick had no one to blame but himself. He is the one that made the promises. He was the face of the project. He talked a good game, encouraged people to call if they had issues, etc.. But as soon as things went bad, it was always someone else's problem or responsibility. When those that really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt started calling him out on his BS the tide turned, he created his own forum (same issues, just far less public). Took his marbles and went home. And that's just with MMR.
People bitched about and attacked Jack too. But, unlike Rick, he took responsibility for his actions and mistakes and got a lot of credit here for taking and acting on Pinsider's suggestions (see Hobbit playfield redesign).
It's really hard to feel sorry for Rick.
Getting back on topic - I hope whoever is the decision maker for CGC reconsiders that slime green on the LE. I'm not sure I've seen a single positive comment about it. It appears stainless is an option on the LE, but that's not much of an option.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-rotordave-usa-travel-odyssey-thread/page/2#post-3652892

Although not exactly positive, in person the green might look a bit different. I don't like it from the pictures.

#325 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Give us through the end of TPF to reassess trim options.

Thanks for the feedback!

#326 7 years ago
Quoted from Doug_Duba:

Thanks for the feedback!

Have you noticed the wear around the Stroke of Luck hole on the brand new machine? Any chance of getting some protectors in there before it looks like a 20 year old blown out original?

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from Doug_Duba:

Thanks for the feedback!

Appears that gloss black and chrome are popular choices. The green just doesn't go well with the predominantly red cabinet. You could put chrome on the best model and black on the intermediary, but then you'd have folks wanting it the other way around...

#328 7 years ago

thanks to cgc doug for input its a pleasent change i really hope that is a new beginning in communication with CGC and their customers

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from Doug_Duba:

Pricing and product details will be released at 5pm CST on March 24th. I believe most people will be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for stopping by... and supporting TPF.

I hope your pricing is the pleasant surprise... because anything near $8k +/- 1k for the Base model is robbery.
Like others have said; I'd be in at $6k... no where near ok with it at >$7k.

I personally like the green trim... why? because it's different. At least CCG is looking to do different things with these remakes. I'm ok with the new displays and the LED speakers. Would I buy an LE w/ green trim... sure if the price was better than Stern's LE pricing in 2014.

#330 7 years ago

If Chicago Gaming is gearing up their own production line could the cost come down since you don't have so many hands in the cookie jar? Could more remakes more often be in the works or maybe an original title if all goes to plan with AFMR.

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from MoonwalkerArcade:

If Chicago Gaming is gearing up their own production line could the cost come down since you don't have so many hands in the cookie jar?

Probably not since now you have setup cost of the line.

#332 7 years ago

Creative topper.
Patiently waiting for formal announcement as I prefer to see complete details in written and advertising form from the manufacturer.

I am not the market for this title, but I am sure others will be interested.

#333 7 years ago

Depending on how much price is I'll pick it up. Afm has always been overpriced hopefully standard won't be too crazyv

#334 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Lime green... whoever made that decision should be fired... TODAY... yesterday!

No! Beat him with a stick!
The worthless human being!
Hahaha,overreactor

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Depending on how much price is I'll pick it up. Afm has always been overpriced hopefully standard won't be too crazyv

Well i can tell u the new one will be more than u can pick up a nice used one for. I thought afm was one of the more fairly priced used pins considering how many were only made, popularity of it, its ranking and how awesome it is.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from Doug_Duba:

Regarding the delay in announcing pricing on AFM, we want to afford all of our dealers the opportunity to start selling AFM at the same time. The art assets for dealer websites are being distributed early next week which should provide enough time for dealers to complete webpages before the start of TPF. We had somewhat wrongly assumed that dealers would be unable to take orders without pricing. ALL DEALERS ARE PROHIBITED FROM TAKING DEPOSITS BEFORE PRICING HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED.
2) Diagonally, it measures roughly 19” which provides almost twice the viewable area.
3) As for MMR, Athyrio Games was contracted to created all new artwork at 4x the resolution of the original. They did an amazing job.
4) The huge display with the Athyrio graphics is really striking. I’m looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback at TPF.
5) If you don’t like the RGB illuminated speakers, there is an operator setting the allows you to turn the LEDs off.
Chicago Gaming will be assembling the games. In the seventeen years I have been with CGC, Churchill and CGC have assembled over 50,000 arcade games. In addition to our own proprietary products we have done full arcade game assembly for Konomi, Sega, Namco, Global VR and Raw Thrills. Recognizing the unique challenges of pinball assembly, we have spent the last four months setting up our line, designing production fixtures and staffing up with a core of employees with extensive pinball experience.
I don’t think a game can be accurately assessed from a handful of cellphone photos. Please come to Texas Pinball Festival and see for yourself. Even if you don’t come to see AFM, TPF is always a blast! Plus, I’ll buy you a beer if you tell me you like the green trim (you have to seem sincere). I hope to see you in Texas!
--Doug Duba

Is there a distributor for international customers ?

#337 7 years ago

A good, measured post. Something we could do with more of from company reps.

I don't think the illumination of the speakers is the only issue. Their bracket or retainer looks rather flashy, car audio like and doesn't fit the look at all. I think something more inconspicuous would go down rather better.

Quoted from Doug_Duba:

--Doug Duba

#338 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

A good, measured post. Something we could do with more of from company reps.
I don't think the illumination of the speakers is the only issue. Their bracket or retainer looks rather flashy, car audio like and doesn't fit the look at all. I think something more inconspicuous would go down rather better.

It's a pinball machine about martians blowing up tourist attractions. It's hard to imagine any object on earth more suited to looking flashy. I'm pretty sure no pinball designer has ever received the directive "make it look more inconspicuous."

#339 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

It's a pinball machine about martians blowing up tourist attractions. It's hard to imagine any object on earth more suited to looking flashy. I'm pretty sure no pinball designer has ever received the directive "make it look more inconspicuous."

As a test I asked 5 people (none of whom played pinball) what was the first thing they noticed and that drew their eyes. 4 said speaker. 1 didn't know. 2 didn't even notice there was a display.

Intended, I'm sure?

And yeah, it is a pinball machine about martians blowing up landmarks .... the overly conspicuous speakers detract from that.

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from Doug_Duba:

--Doug Duba

Thanks for all of the info. Nice to read facts from the source.

Any comment on how long it will take games to reach market?

#341 7 years ago

Do the main ship and saucers on the standard have red leds? If not they really need the red leds!

#342 7 years ago
Quoted from Doug_Duba:

Thanks for the feedback!

Smart move. I don't hate the green when looking at it from the players perspective. It matches the green on the playfield and looks OK to me. I think it clashes pretty bad with the cab art though. Give a gloss black option and people will happily shell out LE money. If you give a gloss black option I bet at least 400 of the LE's are purchased with it.

#343 7 years ago

I like the green.
I love the speakers and the speaker lights and the DMD and the topper!

I've told my disty I want one and would like it ASAP

Cheers,
Neil.

#344 7 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Is there a distributor for international customers ?

ministry of pinball covers your area. Pinball Heaven covers the UK.

#345 7 years ago

Red legs and trim would look so much better than the green

#346 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I like the green.
I love the speakers and the speaker lights and the DMD and the topper!
Cheers,
Neil.

Hooray! One sale!
EDIT: You stand to have the most rare AFMR ever made!

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

guinea pigs welcome!

#348 7 years ago

i downloaded the movie off fb and put it on youtube so its more accessible.

#349 7 years ago

I played afm on location once. Seemed so easy and not much to it. I never understood the hype. And I'm not a pro player. Just average.

#350 7 years ago

I'd be in for a standard with color dmd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

16,500 (OBO)
$ 79.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-has-landed-in-dallas-texas-with-pics/page/7?hl=doug_duba and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.