(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 26.
#251 7 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

No, they are not. They are the exactly the same from a mechanical standpoint as on WPC-95 games. They even use the same type of flipper optos for the cabinet buttons.

Thanks for clarifying, i rarely have to lift the playfield on my MMR so couldn't honestly remember.

#252 7 years ago

They didn't even do the back box hinge in green.....wtf?

#253 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Who will be doing the manufacturing?

Chicago Gaming made an assembly line just for this.

LTG : )

#254 7 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

From what Ive seen so far:Remakes suck

Riiiiight because there has been....let's see......MMR.....and and and.......Remake(s)

#255 7 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Why didn't they put the buildings on the back board..was that not origional?

No. Prototype had the outerspace and spaceships and planets. Production was just the black wall.

#256 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yes, I think that's the case.
Look at this animation while Trent was playing. Looks to be smaller dots.
rd

Yup, definitely...they're using the same technique they did on MMR, which makes sense....that's gonna be CGC's "color style"...color the score dots, but keep them the same size, and use a "mask" of new graphics over the old animation dots.

Thanks for taking pics!

#257 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm fine with a remake too but remember what we learned about Churchill being fully in charge with MMr... you WILL keep what comes in the box no matter what.
A whole lot of MMr customers got stuck with factory second faded insert PF's and now have a machine worth less than the next customer. I know I wouldn't buy one with the faded inserts on the secondary market.

I will wait and see what happens this time around.

#258 7 years ago

Did u see the graphic of the building?

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm fine with a remake too but remember what we learned about Churchill being fully in charge with MMr... you WILL keep what comes in the box no matter what.
A whole lot of MMr customers got stuck with factory second faded insert PF's and now have a machine worth less than the next customer. I know I wouldn't buy one with the faded inserts on the secondary market.
I won't mount some vocal campaign about it this time as if people didn't learn all they needed to know about this company LAST time... well it's hopeless.
But good luck to everybody regardless... (not sarcasm)

non-issue in my view.

#260 7 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Why didn't they put the buildings on the back board..was that not origional?

Quoted from LTG:

No. Prototype had the outerspace and spaceships and planets. Production was just the black wall.

A reference photo I took of an unmodded/stock game that I serviced a while back:

20160814121836200 (resized).jpg20160814121836200 (resized).jpg

#261 7 years ago

The speakers look rather weird IMO. Like cheap upgraded car speakers mounted in a hacked up rear parcel shelf.

Style is totally out of keeping with the rest of the machine. They look so out of place that they catch the eye more than anything else - especially being so brightly LED lit.

#262 7 years ago

Having played AFM after playing ST, does anyone else see a lot of similarities between the two games?

#263 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've never played a remake until today.

The MMR at the show, the flippers were a little weak (and aligned too low)

I guess they have the standard BW flippers assemblies and coils? And they work the same as fliptronics?

On MMR, the flipper assemblies are the same as the Williams games. Unfortunately, the Fliptronics circuitry was eliminated and the flippers are driven from the same hardware/sub-boards that drive the other coils. I personally don't think the new circuits are as robust as Fliptronics and think that the flippers fade more on the remakes, but others who own the remake disagree.

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

non-issue in my view.

Yup. That's because you didn't get stuck with a defective PF on a MMr. People don't care until it happens to them.

That's how they got past the entire thing.

#265 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

On MMR, the flipper assemblies are the same as the Williams games.

They looked to me more like the reproduction parts that have been available for some time that are not as robust as the original Williams parts. Like those kits pinballlife sells. Hard to believe I got a threatening PM from PPS the first time I brought that up.

#266 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yup. That's because you didn't get stuck with a defective PF on a MMr. People don't care until it happens to them.
That's how they got past the entire thing.

No mine has it, but it doesn't affect game play so in my mind isn't defective, I put the diffuser in and job done. Compared to stern playfield issues this is minor, imo.

#267 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They looked to me more like the reproduction parts that have been available for some time that are not as robust as the original Williams parts. Like those kits pinballlife sells. Hard to believe I got a threatening PM from PPS the first time I brought that up.

Threatening what?

#268 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Threatening what?

Lawsuits, whatever. See why there's no love lost here.

#269 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Threatening what?

To pull off his big boy pants?

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Having played AFM after playing ST, does anyone else see a lot of similarities between the two games?

Spider-Man was actually a lot more like AFM...the Sandman 3-bank target is the same as the one on AFM. But ST does have a bouncy spaceship.

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I would expect the supply of actual OEM parts is long gone. Are there multiple sources of repro WPC flipper parts now? I *have* ran into batches of bad links (they'd snap after a few hundred games) and some questionable milling on plungers, but this was 4-5 years back. Who all is making WPC parts besides PBL?

Getting love letters from Mr. Personality is just part of the hobby

#272 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Spider-Man was actually a lot more like AFM...the Sandman 3-bank target is the same as the one on AFM. But ST does have a bouncy spaceship.

Both ST and SM have a third flipper for a left ramp shot - that's a pretty major difference!

#273 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Lawsuits, whatever. See why there's no love lost here.

He threatened to sue you over your opinion....lol crazy

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The speakers look rather weird IMO. Like cheap upgraded car speakers mounted in a hacked up rear parcel shelf.
Style is totally out of keeping with the rest of the machine. They look so out of place that they catch the eye more than anything else - especially being so brightly LED lit.

I agree the lit speakers really catch the eye and not in a good way. They probably thought this was a good idea to "add value" but maybe let the owners decide if they want that same, omnipresent cheap chinese color changing LED effect that is on even the cheapest kid's toys these days. Why compete with the color display in an dead area?

I'm strange anyways as I seem to be the only person who doesn't see the purpose of drawing the eye to a game's speakers.
Unless you simply MUST show off some badass speaker inserts you've found (understandable) then why bring attention to an area where there is absolutely nothing going on?

Never mind the extra glass reflection they add - to me this even hinders the gameplay but I'm the odd man out on this issue.

And I like LED mods generally... I'm hardly an anti-LED Luddite.

#275 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm strange anyways as I seem to be the only person who doesn't see the purpose of drawing the eye to a game's speakers.
Unless you simply MUST show off some badass speaker inserts you've found (understandable) then why bring attention to an area where there is absolutely nothing going on?

Yup .. speakers are to be heard, not seen.

#276 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

To pull off his big boy pants?

Hopefully you meant "pull UP"...otherwise his threats have gotten considerably kinkier

#277 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Thank you - there's a whole two of us then!

#278 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Hopefully you meant "pull UP"...otherwise his threats have gotten considerably kinkier

And whose pants are we talking about here, O-Din's or Rick's?

#279 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I would expect the supply of actual OEM parts is long gone. Are there multiple sources of repro WPC flipper parts now?

There are multiple makers of these parts. PBR probably being the highest quality.

The most obvious difference I noticed is the original Williams pawls used a hardened black bolt that takes an allen head wrench on one end and a nut on the other, and the pawl is less prone to getting bent out of shape. I re-use the originals whenever possible.

#280 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

One of the few cases where I like lit speakers is on T2. Those are the eyes, so it makes sense. There aren't too many pins where the speaker grills are really integrated into the design of the game.

#281 7 years ago

Just me but I would rather have the trim in chrome rather than the green on the top dog version.

Not well versed in this game but from the video I've seen, I believe I noticed that there are some flashing lights in the back box. Did the original have that as well?

Like others, watching the pricing announcement.

#282 7 years ago

Guessing pricing.
Classic $6995
Next $7995
Le $8995

Hoping I am high on all of these ....we will see.
Id go middle and change trim to gloss black and put an alternative topper up there.

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Here is a good story from pinball news to check out:
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/churchill/index.html

One thing I noticed after reading that article is that chances are this guy won't be around to clearcoat the third remake. Can you guys guess why?

soon to be dead guy (resized).jpgsoon to be dead guy (resized).jpg

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

One thing I noticed after reading that article is that chances are this guy won't be around to clearcoat the third remake. Can you guys guess why?

Not wearing a respirator? He's giving his lungs a doublecoat

#285 7 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Not well versed in this game but from the video I've seen, I believe I noticed that there are some flashing lights in the back box. Did the original have that as well?

Pretty much ALL pre-Stern solid state pinballs have flashers in the backbox.

#286 7 years ago

Not the sharpest tool in the shed. That has to be the worst stuff to be breathing.

#287 7 years ago

It's only a test spray....

#288 7 years ago

$4995
$5995
$6995

Figured I'd throw out some crazy numbers also.

#289 7 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

It's only a test spray....

I don't think the fumes care if it is only a test spray...they are going to enter your lungs.

#290 7 years ago

I hope distributors offer an extended warranty as an option.

#291 7 years ago

They're tired of having to glue his playfields back together when he's done.

#292 7 years ago

If I can get metallic saucers and the tri colour leds in the saucers on the classic as an upgrade ill bite

Quoted from tp:

$4995
$5995
$6995
Figured I'd throw out some crazy numbers also.

At those prices ill take 10!

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I hope distributors offer an extended warranty as an option.

I know some will including myself and Joe.

#294 7 years ago

I guess I'd better order my coin mechs now....

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

And whose pants are we talking about here, O-Din's or Rick's?

Must be o-din's. Not sure Rick owns any big boy pants.

#296 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's been 80 years, and pinball playfields are still wearing out.....

Yeah, but it used to take 20 years, not 20 days ...

#297 7 years ago

All I know is my original AFM with new decals, very nice playfield, bill ung mod, leds and color DMD is very safe. Heck, depending on how they price this thing it actually could make nice originals go up in value (not that it matters for me personally as I'm not selling any time soon)

Looking forward to hearing the next announcement.

#298 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Must be o-din's. Not sure Rick owns any big boy pants.

32 waist here. How bout that other guy?

#299 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

32 waist here. How bout that other guy?

I'm going to guess he hasn't seen a 32 since he was 13.

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I'm going to guess he hasn't seen a 32 since he was 13.

If you're talking about women, he probably hasn't seen a 13 since he was 32.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-has-landed-in-dallas-texas-with-pics/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.