(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 26.
#201 7 years ago

Meh, I don't care about the green trim and prefer no mirror blades. I don't see me getting a LE, the topper looks cool, but I am not really a topper guy. It's like Stern sells BM pim with a topper and all the sudden they think this is a value added feature (like mirror blades) that should be a person preference feature. So likely the middle edition looks to be the way to go. See about pricing.

I think it's gay that they don't all have the same warranty and whoever came up with that policy should be shot.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Man I wish this clear coat issue would get resolved!

It's been 80 years, and pinball playfields are still wearing out.....

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I imagine an LED can replicate that strobe effect.

Yeah. Game of thrones proved that in spades. haha.

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Do you know who has them then?

Rick does claim he has the rights.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

70 years on this one.

LRH (resized).jpgLRH (resized).jpg

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Rick does claim he has the rights.

He claimed to have the rights to make BBB is all that I know of since Williams bought those.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

70 years on this one.

Friggin' Gottlieb!!! Look at that shooter lane after only 70 years.

All they care about is making a profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Oh I know playfields wear out but Vid these games are not wearing out...they are instantly defective.

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Oh I know playfields wear out but Vid these games are not wearing out...they are instantly defective.

Just quit buying them.

It's too much heartache.

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Friggin' Gottlieb!!! Look at that shooter lane after only 70 years.
All they care about is making a profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

And the area around that kickout hole is just atrocious!

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just quit buying them.
It's too much heartache.

I actually want to buy but am waiting patiently for this to get sorted out, which I am sure will.

#212 7 years ago

It was just announced a few minutes ago on Stern's live feed that they will not be making the AFMRs. Who will be doing the manufacturing?

#213 7 years ago

Right now I'm hesitant to buy any NIB game that does not have a Mirco playfield (used in JJP and Heighway games) in it.

I recently spoke to someone who bought a new GB Premium about a month ago and while he said that the playfield is fine that it is dimpling far more then his other older Stern and Bally / Williams games. He believes that something must of changed with the clear process or with the wood itself, I agree.

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

It was just announced a few minutes ago on Stern's live feed that they will not be making the AFMRs. Who will be doing the manufacturing?

CGC

#215 7 years ago

Does anyone know where and in what country they will ne made?

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Chicago

#217 7 years ago

Chicago Mexico

#218 7 years ago

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Right now I'm hesitant to buy any NIB game that does not have a Mirco playfield (used in JJP and Heighway games) in it.
I recently spoke to someone who bought a new GB Premium about a month ago and while he said that the playfield is fine that it is dimpling far more then his other older Stern and Bally / Williams games. He believes that something must of changed with the clear process or with the wood itself, I agree.

Sorry, but Stern dimple talk is just annoying at this point. There is no dimple-gate. It's not a thing. I picked up 3 new Sterns last year and none are dimpling any more or less than any other Stern ever.

The SMVE does have some ghosting inserts (definitely a thing), but nobody notices but me and Stern is going to replace it.

And for all the JJP strokers, wasn't this a Mirco playfield?

708149572d88dc912ab5a02f161d976215734de6 (resized).jpg708149572d88dc912ab5a02f161d976215734de6 (resized).jpg

I haven't seen any Sterns do that.

#220 7 years ago

Thanks. We will be in Chicago later this year. We would like to have a look.

#221 7 years ago

Thanks. We will be in Chicago later this year. We would like to have a look.

Here is a good story from pinball news to check out:
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/churchill/index.html

#222 7 years ago

Sorry if this has been covered. Will AFMr have the upgraded hi-Rez animations that we saw with MMr? To me, that screen was the most compelling reason to consider the remake. I see the wider colour dots, but nothing in the images is suggesting the improved resolution that we saw with MMr. Anybody??

#223 7 years ago

I very rarely comment on prices, but there is just too much choice around now for this to be richly priced. How many thousands of new machines have hit the ground in the last five years? I will definitely take a standard somewhere between a Stern pro/premium. A dollar more than a premium and meh, I'll be happy with the dozens of other options.

#224 7 years ago

Not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on this one, but I'd be willing to buy somebody's (now worthless!) original AFM to help them with the upgrade!

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah. Game of thrones proved that in spades. haha.

No doubt man. GoT is so bright in some modes i have lost balls.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I'd be willing to buy somebody's (now worthless!) original AFM to help them with the upgrade!

What do you mean? After seeing AFMr the originals jumped by 2 grand!

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from laprocket:

I think they would sell like hotcakes if they came in at $6500 for a standard. That price being below the current Stern premium price makes me think its not going to happen.

Yeah, but you guys posting on the price don't get the business model ....

Just hypothetically ...

100 units sold at $8000 = 800,000 less say $5000 per unit cost = $300,000 profit.

To make the same profit at $6500 retail, they'd need to make and sell 200 machines. ($1500 profit x 200 = $300k)

Selling less machines for more profit is what a business dreams of doing.

(The $5000 is an arbitratory figure, I think it would actually be far less than that, but the figures above make my point)

rd

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

And for all the JJP strokers, wasn't this a Mirco playfield?

This is:

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album644?page=2

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Sorry if this has been covered. Will AFMr have the upgraded hi-Rez animations that we saw with MMr? To me, that screen was the most compelling reason to consider the remake. I see the wider colour dots, but nothing in the images is suggesting the improved resolution that we saw with MMr. Anybody??

The ones I saw today were just huge dots.

Reminded me of a redemption machine or something.

rd

IMG_4551 (resized).JPGIMG_4551 (resized).JPG

#230 7 years ago

I personally think this is GREAT news...sign me up for one HUO SE...I remember when they started taking deposits for MMr, weren't they at the time also talking about CC being next up? (This was years ago).

#231 7 years ago

I'm in - told my disty - the excellent sir Phil of pinball heaven to get me one

I have MMR it's epic and expect same from AFMR

And it's not a copy - it's as original as the ones they made 20 years ago!

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Your right, its not a copy. It's completely different lighting and boards. It's not like the original in several ways. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it's silly to think it's the same.

#233 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I've never played a remake until today.

The MMR at the show, the flippers were a little weak (and aligned too low)

I guess they have the standard BW flippers assemblies and coils? And they work the same as fliptronics?

The MMR today seemed to feel a bit different to a BW WPC95 machine.

But it may just have been the machine I played. Maybe it's had a trashing. Like I said, I've never played an MMR before.

rd

#234 7 years ago

Excited about this! Have had my name on local disty's list for a month or so now...

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Excited about this!

Me too!!

bend-over_o_1027656 (resized).jpgbend-over_o_1027656 (resized).jpg

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I guess they have the standard BW flippers assemblies and coils? And they work the same as fliptronics?
But it may just have been the machine I played. Maybe it's had a trashing. Like I said, I've never played an MMR before.
rd

The flipper strength is adjustable, and everyone seems to have a different number that feels good to them. I forget offhand, but I have mine on +3 or +4 ...and they're as good as an original.

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I kind of had the same reaction after playing MMR at a show last year. didn't feel quite right.
How did the AFMR feel in comparison?

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The ones I saw today were just huge dots.
Reminded me of a redemption machine or something.
rd

Did you see any of the animation? On MMR, the score dots are the same as original (big dots) and the animation is smaller dots for a higher resolution on the artwork itself.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I think its hard to compare even the same game. Ive played plenty of MM's and they all play slightly differently, ive played 5 different MMRs and they all play slightly differently but they all are similar too and that's between MMR and MM!

The flippers on MMR I think are actually stern (need to check), they are actually adjustable from a power point of view which the original MM didnt do. I love my MMR its one of my favourite machines and Im glad I was able to pick one up. The nonsense about them not being original or copies is exactly that nonsense. In my view they play alike enough that two different twenty year old MMs play. The build quality on my MMR is superb also.

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Your right, its not a copy. It's completely different lighting and boards. It's not like the original in several ways. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it's silly to think it's the same.

I tend to think of it as a modern version, but the gameplay in my view is identical, perhaps a little sharper on the MMR compared to many MMs that have twenty years of wear...

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from joelreeves:

I kind of had the same reaction after playing MMR at a show last year. didn't feel quite right.
How did the AFMR feel in comparison?

My experience as well. Just feels different. Flippers felt spongy - hard to describe.

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

The build quality on my MMR is superb

Indubitably_df7865_1927981 (resized).jpgIndubitably_df7865_1927981 (resized).jpg

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from joelreeves:

at a show last year. didn't feel quite right.

in my experience, a lot of games "at shows" play like garbage

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

is an authorized Chicago Gaming / PPS distributor and we are taking 'interested' list for those who want the info as soon as it's out...

BAD FORM!
This is FUN!'s thread... go do you own... oh wait you already did.

#245 7 years ago

Interested to see as others are where pricing comes in and what QC issues need to get sorted as games get produced and delivered. I'm in no hurry this time around -- I preordered MMRLE in the parking lot during a funeral! I don't have that enthusiasm in me this time around and I'd need to get rid of LOTR to make room. Looks good though so far.

#246 7 years ago

I understand the business model of 3 gaming levels but i miss the days when just 1 complete game was made.

I don't want to miss out on some of the goodies on LE's[yes you can keep the green trim] but the price point is just ridiculous. And yes i know it's not released yet [price]but have an expectation that it will meet the current market. Too high for me.

#247 7 years ago

I wonder, will one of these remakes make it into the SCS bank tomorrow?

#248 7 years ago

Why didn't they put the buildings on the back board..was that not origional? Looks soon plain in the background....

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

The flippers on MMR I think are actually stern

No, they are not. They are the exactly the same from a mechanical standpoint as on WPC-95 games. They even use the same type of flipper optos for the cabinet buttons.

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you see any of the animation? On MMR, the score dots are the same as original (big dots) and the animation is smaller dots for a higher resolution on the artwork itself.

Yes, I think that's the case.

Look at this animation while Trent was playing. Looks to be smaller dots.

rd

IMG_4552 (resized).JPGIMG_4552 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
Wanted
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

16,500 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-has-landed-in-dallas-texas-with-pics/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.