(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.
#1201 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

won't that mean you are going to have to pay taxes? that's the main reason I don't buy local

not sure what pps charges for shipping but I thought it was more than $250. Regardless, if I can avoid shipping for a few hundred on a NIB I think that's a wise choice.

Taxes are the price of a civil society and I'll pay them to support a local pinball distributor/store. On the other hand, I don't think twice about buying other electronics online. Best Buy may not have what I need and they already get tax breaks from the city for building their store to drive out the mom and pop operations so...

#1202 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I know what you mean. That means I have to remember to take my ring off before playing. The lollipop rails removes that worry.

Mylar cabinet button protectors are fairly common, you might get some.

#1203 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Mylar cabinet button protectors are fairly common, you might get some

I've never installed those over decals before, only screened cabinets. What happens if you need to remove them for any reason?

#1204 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I've never installed those over decals before, only screened cabinets. What happens if you need to remove them for any reason?

I think you are supposed to wax the area first for easier removal with a hair dryer.

#1205 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

It's mylar, they peel right off.....easy.....no damage.

#1206 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's mylar, they peel right off.....easy.....no damage

LOL

#1207 7 years ago

How hard is it to replace the rails? I'd be worried about damaging the decals getting them off.

#1208 7 years ago

Are there any pics of under the playfield??

#1209 7 years ago
Quoted from ecmurrayf1:

How hard is it to replace the rails? I'd be worried about damaging the decals getting them off.

Rails are pretty easy to remove but they are held in place with double sided tape.
Generally the tape can be sliced off with a putty knife inserted under rail.

Just protect the finish below the rail with a thin nylon scraper and blue tape as you go along cutting the tape. Be careful about this.

If you do scrape up the decal where the tape is, it will never show as its under the rail.

#1210 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Are there any pics of under the playfield??

bigd1979's post #1979 in this thread.

LTG : )

#1211 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

bigd1979's post #1979 in this thread.

Thanks Lloyd!

Wait a sec, there's not that many posts yet

#1212 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Wait a sec, there's not that many posts yet

Crap, I used last part of his Pinside moniker.

Try #1078

Sorry.

#1213 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's mylar, they peel right off.....easy.....no damage.

You mean the cling mylar protectors, yes they will pull right off.
I hear its an ok product for home use.

#1214 7 years ago

Cling Mylar protectors? Never heard of them. Where do you get them?

#1216 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I know what you mean. That means I have to remember to take my ring off before playing. The lollipop rails removes that worry.

I got paranoid about ring damage and searched around for a solution - found Pinball Decals (PDI) button guards. They're made of tough Makrolon (polycarbonate) and don't use any adhesive. They're held in place by the button itself. Bit higher on the price side, but I'm very happy with them on my machine. They'd definitely go on an AFMr if I get one some day!

http://www.pinballdecals.com/ButtonGuardProtectorsPage.html

#1217 7 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I got paranoid about ring damage and searched around for a solution - found Pinball Decals (PDI) button guards. They're made of tough Makrolon (polycarobonate) and don't use any adhesive. They're held in place by the button itself. Bit higher on the price side, but I'm very happy with them on my machine. They'd definitely go on an AFMr if I get one some day!

I will give these a try. Thanks.

#1218 7 years ago

I cut my own out of Avery self-adhesive laminating sheets, available at Staples or any office supply place. They go on every pin I get, and come off without issues. I have a bunch on location and haven't lost one yet after years of use.

#1219 7 years ago

Couldn't resist. I secured an AFMr LE with Black Trim thru Craig at Fun!.

Pretty damn excited.

Marcus

#1220 7 years ago

I have a question about the topper for AFM-R. Are the mechanics located behind the topper (on the other side of the wall), or is there something that mounts in the backbox that makes the martian bounce? Just asking because my ceiling is too low, and was thinking of mounting the topper near the game, and running whatever wires back into the game. Anyone know?

#1221 7 years ago

I'm gonna skip the game entirely and just get a topper, use it for a hood ornament on my pin hauler.

#1222 7 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Are the mechanics located behind the topper

Yes.

#1223 7 years ago

what is the height in mm of the new topper?

#1224 7 years ago
Quoted from zoda:

what is the height in mm of the new topper?

From CGC: Topper is 9.5" above the top of the backbox, which is 76" with levelers pretty high = 85.5" or 217cm

#1225 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

From CGC: Topper is 9.5" above the top of the backbox, which is 76" with levelers pretty high = 85.5" or 217cm

Is more clearance needed for the bouncing alien?

#1226 7 years ago

Whoah good question. Hopefully it's at the maximum height in resting position. I guess it would look kind of cool if it made a hole in my ceiling though!

#1227 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Is more clearance needed for the bouncing alien?

No.

#1228 7 years ago

So I've been looking for an Attack from Mars for awhile now and just haven't been able to find one at a decent price anywhere near fly-over country. I also previously said my cut off price for an MMR would be around 6K...okay so given the market conditions and ever rising cost of new machines, this price point may have been a little low. Regardless of all of that, I got in touch with Mike at pinballs.com (aka Automated Services), and put down my $250 deposit for the $7,599 SE version with free shipping, since this will come with the color display and shaker motor, I felt it was a decent price ... but it better damn well come with coin mechs!!!

#1229 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

but it better damn well come with coin mechs!!!

BWAAAHHAHHAHHA.
Good luck.

I too want an AFM... but I'm spending my pin money on the P3.

#1230 7 years ago

So I played the AFMr 's at the Festival and compared to my Original they played like crap but I was shocked about the lighting on all 3 models. Ghosting LED's and flashing when it shouldn't of been. I have a chance to buy a regular MM vs. an MMr and now am so confused. I played an MMr a few years back at TPF and it played like crap and the lighting was again sub par. If you had a chance to buy an original mint game vs. an MMr would you take the original ? What about AFMr vs. all of the simple problems I noticed ? I know this has been discussed but any help would be appreciated. Dazed and confused...

#1231 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

So I've been looking for an Attack from Mars for awhile now and just haven't been able to find one at a decent price anywhere near fly-over country. I also previously said my cut off price for an MMR would be around 6K...okay so given the market conditions and ever rising cost of new machines, this price point may have been a little low. Regardless of all of that, I got in touch with Mike at pinballs.com (aka Automated Services), and put down my $250 deposit for the $7,599 SE version with free shipping, since this will come with the color display and shaker motor, I felt it was a decent price ... but it better damn well come with coin mechs!!!

Not really free shipping bc they are 7300 without shipping so your paying the 300 shipping. Awesome pin enjoy....

#1232 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

So I played the AFMr 's at the Festival and compared to my Original they played like crap but I was shocked about the lighting on all 3 models. Ghosting LED's and flashing when it shouldn't of been. I have a chance to buy a regular MM vs. an MMr and now am so confused. I played an MMr a few years back at TPF and it played like crap and the lighting was again sub par. If you had a chance to buy an original mint game vs. an MMr would you take the original ? What about AFMr vs. all of the simple problems I noticed ? I know this has been discussed but any help would be appreciated. Dazed and confused...

I always perfer original but thats just me. I do like some the features on the remakes but perfer things on the original over them .

#1233 7 years ago

I had just the opposite experience.
6 months ago I was in the market for an AFM.
Played a very good condition AFM at a friends house.
Lights were dim, flippers were slightly weak for the angle of 6.8 on the PF.
Inserts were a little dim from the #44 bulbs, and the flashers were also dim.
Sound from the speakers was a little fuzzy being 20 year old speakers I think, plus no Sub or mid range speakers, just old standard sound.
DMD had a little burn-in and was a little ghosted.
Some warping on the plastics and a little fade from the #44 bulbs.
Slight cabinet wear and red was faded.
But over-all a very good better than average game from the 90's.
The game was very well maintained, but stock in all ways.
The game could be rebuilt and modernized for about $6000 + $5500 to buy the game.
I was really thinking of buying it from him.

A few weeks back I was invited to play an AFMr at PPS the game was vibrant and bright.
Flippers were strong and crisp, playfield was as smooth as butter, played fast and strong.
Fully adjustable coils for great play at any PF angle.
Enhanced sound system just ROCKED!
Inserts were like glowing jewels.
The big LCD screen and hi resolution color animations were lightyears ahead of the old classic game.
The insert flashing can be adjusted high, medium or low or emulate incandescent bulbs. Faster flashing is really good on this for me.
The game played fast and solid.
Its stunning in person, if you can, look at it with the glass off, It's absolutely beautiful.

Brand new Stunning NIB game $7999 (picked up), Its a Steal!

I immediately bought it that day.

#1234 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

but it better damn well come with coin mechs!!!

Rick said (somewhere) that U.S. machines will all have coin mechs.

Quoted from Zitt:

BWAAAHHAHHAHHA.
Good luck.
I too want an AFM... but I'm spending my pin money on the P3.

BWAAAHHAHHAHHA.
Good luck.

#1235 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Rick said (somewhere) that U.S. machines will all have coin mechs.

BWAAAHHAHHAHHA.
Good luck.

Yes that is the plan, all US games will have coin mechs.

#1236 7 years ago

Was the play field already chipping on the poor playing AFMR?

#1237 7 years ago

Sound from the speakers was a little fuzzy being 20 year old speakers I think, plus no Sub or mid range speakers, just old standard sound.
The game could be rebuilt and modernized for about $6000 + $5500 to buy the game.
A few weeks back I was invited to play an AFMr at PPS the game was vibrant and bright.
Flippers were strong and crisp, playfield was as smooth as butter, played fast and strong.
The big LCD screen and hi resolution color animations were lightyears ahead of the old classic game.
The insert flashing can be adjusted slow or fast or emulate incandescent bulbs. Slower flashing is really good on this.
Its stunning in person, if you can, look at it with the glass off, It's absolutely beautiful.

The original one u played sounded like a mess and its probably good u passed on it for the price lol.

#1238 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The original one u played sounded like a mess and its probably good u passed on it for the price lol.

It really wasnt that bad. They waxed it a bit, never changed the rubber, star posts filled with wax etc.
Typical home game bought off a route at one time.
SOL was a little burned out but a Cliffy would cover that easily

There just isnt a lot of selection in my local area, the game I looked at is as good as it gets here.
Im thinking that it may be the same in a lot of other areas around the US.
At least It wasnt a $4000 flood damaged victim.

#1239 7 years ago

The insert flashing can be adjusted slow or fast or emulate incandescent bulbs. Slower flashing is really good on this.

So the people that are actually in the market to buy a AFM are saying the AFMr is a great playing game. And the people that already own a AFM are saying it's a dog. Who do you believe????? I won't know until I get to play one at Allentown Pinfest.

pinballinreno to date every original AFM I have played were in the same condition you are describing.

#1240 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

So the people that are actually in the market to buy a AFM are saying the AFM is a great playing game. And the people that already own a AFM are saying it's a dog. Who do you believe????? I won't know until I get to play one at Allentown Pinfest.
pinballinreno to date every original AFM I have played were in the same condition you are describing.

I'm not currently in the market for any of these (MMr or AFMr) but I've played a lot of original MM's and one MMr. They played the same to me. If I decide to get into one down the road I'm going to look for an AFMr unless I get a steal on an original.

#1241 7 years ago

The flippers were weak but they can be adjusted. That's probably what seemed like crap.

#1242 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

So the people that are actually in the market to buy a AFM are saying the AFMr is a great playing game. And the people that already own a AFM are saying it's a dog. Who do you believe????? I won't know until I get to play one at Allentown Pinfest.

The enthusiasts here have their games "dialed-in" to play perfectly.

Im the same way with my games, they play perfectly because I set them up to play perfectly and tweaked and adjusted everything.
It takes 100 games to get one to play perfectly and I still might tweak it more down the road a bit.

Games set up at shows are put up in a hurry. They are brand new and the guys barely know the settings menu to make adjustments "learning about it on the fly".

They are showing the game, and all the time people say the games at shows play like crap.
I just dont think theres a lot of time to dial them in every time they move them to a new location. Potential customers want to play them as soon as you power it up in a lot of cases.

#1243 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

to date every original AFM I have played were in the same condition you are describing.

If your in the market for AFMr, I would pull the trigger on this. Its a pretty good deal on the SE and LE.
I bought the LE as it has a reallly good warranty, way over the top for pinball game.
PPS and CGC are breaking new ground on warranty this year.

#1244 7 years ago

Most of the market will go for the AFMR over original. New is new and most people prefer new. And especially when the price is comparable. It sounds like they sold a ton of the LE's alone at the release. And at some point all 1000 of them will sell, then there are still the SE and base sales, well over 1000 pin sales by the time the production run is over. The same thing happened with MMR, all 1000 LEs sold and a bunch of regular models as well. Go look at the marketplace to see and compare the difference in the amount of original AFM and MM sales over the last few years. Tens of pins sold.

And, imo it's a no-brainer if this is a dream theme or #1 pin for someone; buying it NIB will be full of awesome and memorable moments, from deposit through delivery, unboxing then eventual play.

Either way, enjoy your pins. There is no right or wrong choice.

#1245 7 years ago

I don't think it's a question of new or original. Finding an original is not easy unless roll the dice and get one off the internet. Then you still have to deal with typical issues of 20 year old routed pin. Here you can just pick up the phone and get one new with a warranty delivered to your front door. Maybe the original is better in some ways but there are only so many out there. Most I have seen are either blown out or fully restored.

#1246 7 years ago

What does a restored AFM from Bryan Kelly sell for on the secondary market?

#1247 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

What does a restored AFM from Bryan Kelly sell for on the secondary market?

asking price 12-14k for now, I expect a price drop just like MM.

#1248 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Finding an original is not easy

Very few in my market area.

#1249 7 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Please have in mind the AFMr's that we're at the Amoa Show and TPF we're prototype games. Stroke of luck hole wear has been addressed and all variations of AFMr production models will have a cliffy type of protector installed on them. Besides the edge wear that was seen on the classic AFMr model. The other models did not exhibit this issue and clearcoat other wise looked fine without issue.
Correct we are almost sold out of our allotment. However speaking with other fellow distributors at TPF we were having no problems selling the LE's from our allotment. Was informed by CGC while at the show that some distributors have already sold out.
Bottom line they will sell out. I'm impressed with the models myself, especially all the bells and whistles on the LE. I'm looking to make room for one in my personal gameroom at home.

So is it confirmed that AFMr will ship with the 'cliffy' protectors at the two scoops? All versions of the game?

#1250 7 years ago

asking price 12-14k for now, I expect a price drop just like MM.

unlikely. a BK machine is better than NIB. I don't see them dropping in price.
A standard player's quality sure... but not a recently BK restored AFM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-has-landed-in-dallas-texas-with-pics/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.