(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 26.
#1051 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The guys at TPF said there will be a scoop protector on the production units.

I am impressed with everything I am hearing! Screw it im in on an LE!

#1052 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am impressed with everything I am hearing! Screw it im in on an LE!

I hope it comes a little faster than your GB LE. That was crazy!

#1053 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I have a very nice unfaded modded one and am really thinking of selling it to get a le . Ugh .... decisions lol

Call me crazy, but that would be crazy. You have a nice unfaded good playing original and you would toss it out the door to get a reproduction?? I just think that would be nuts.

I'm not saying anything against the repro. I think it is awesome they are making them. Crisp new unfaded games fresh out of the box. But at its peak, the best you could hope after a month is having a game as nice as yours sounds. Bird in the hand...

#1054 7 years ago

This thread gets you so pumped up to buy one I may unbolt my Tron from the floor and buy an SE

#1055 7 years ago

I'm in on an LE! Can't wait!

#1056 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

This thread gets you so pumped up to buy one I may unbolt my Tron from the floor and buy an SE

I'm so pumped because I'm hoping my next year's pinball fund will find a decent AFM for less than $5k(maybe much less?). Hey, a guy can dream.

#1057 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Too bad I got SM last month, oh well still love SM. It'd be a different decision if I had the cash instead of the pin. But as we all know, so many great pins can't own them all.

#1058 7 years ago

Prolly need to start a whole new Top100 list just for remakes.

#1059 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Prolly need to start a whole new Top100 list just for remakes.

We need less top 100 not more

#1060 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Too bad I got SM last month, oh well still love SM. It'd be a different decision if I had the cash instead of the pin. But as we all know, so many great pins can't own them all.

SM is better than AFM.

#1061 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

SM is better than AFM.

And a lot cheaper too...

Robert

#1062 7 years ago

Thanks for responses on LE. For those that have already ordered (and prior w/MMR), any real advantage of distributor vs direct PPS?

#1063 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

SM is better than AFM.

I was going to ask, it's been asked a lot before. People are all over the place. Seems like majority is like AFM over SM but like 55:45

while back when MM was being remade, I went to a Pinsider's house and got to play all three SM, AFM and MM back to back. I loved them all and thought they were all great. I ended up getting SM at that time as it was $3000 less than MMr

I think overall they are fine, one thing I really love the Venom shot for SM. I sold it and was OK with that, but of all the things I missed was the Venom shot. I just got a better condition SM than the one I sold. Also, now has color DMD which didn't have last time. I really don't like SM dots, but with color they are much better. Still not fantastic dots but passable.

#1064 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was going to ask, it's been asked a lot before. People are all over the place. Seems like majority is like AFM over SM but like 55:45
while back when MM was being remade, I went to a Pinsider's house and got to play all three SM, AFM and MM back to back. I loved them all and thought they were all great. I ended up getting SM at that time as it was $3000 less than MMr
I think overall they are fine, one thing I really love the Venom shot for SM. I sold it and was OK with that, but of all the things I missed was the Venom shot. I just got a better condition SM than the one I sold. Also, now has color DMD which didn't have last time. I really don't like SM dots, but with color they are much better. Still not fantastic dots but passable.

SM feels of cheaper quality for sure...it just has an odd feel, buts it's layout and rules are top notch. Rules are the perfect depth.

#1065 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

SM feels of cheaper quality for sure/blockquote>

It doesn't feel any cheaper than MMR to me.

I still think that it is one of Stern's top 3.

#1066 7 years ago

In on the LE as well. Couldn't resist after playing it this weekend.

#1067 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Call me crazy, but that would be crazy. You have a nice unfaded good playing original and you would toss it out the door to get a reproduction?? I just think that would be nuts.
I'm not saying anything against the repro. I think it is awesome they are making them. Crisp new unfaded games fresh out of the box. But at its peak, the best you could hope after a month is having a game as nice as yours sounds. Bird in the hand...

Yea your probably right.... plus there are things on the original i much prefer over the remake. It was just a idea to get a nice new afm (my favorite pin) but i did just pay more for a restored original mm over mmr bc i do perfer it. Ill probably just get my afm powdercoated black , add bill ung kit, and paint my ships. Still wondering how strobe is on new one and if the backbox can be programmed to dim when gi does (Really great effect on afm). Also are the flashers able to be changed on playfield and backbox? Hopefully they have a few in allentown so we can find out . I like my color matched inserts and different flasher colors. Also i love the mothership gozmod that has green leds but turn red when ship is hit... wonder if new one does that as its a great effect? 20161008_114109 (resized).jpg20161008_114109 (resized).jpg20170201_044004 (resized).jpg20170201_044004 (resized).jpg20161008_114151 (resized).jpg20161008_114151 (resized).jpg

#1068 7 years ago

I agree, it's Sterns best! But it does *feel* weird. No denying that.

#1069 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea your probably right.... plus there are things on the original i much prefer over the remake. It was just a idea to get a nice new afm (my favorite pin) but i did just pay more for a restored original mm over mmr bc i do perfer it. Ill probably just get my afm powdercoated black , add bill ung kit, and paint my ships. Still wondering how strobe is on new one and if the backbox can be programmed to dim when gi does (Really great effect on afm). Also are the flashers able to be changed on playfield and backbox? Hopefully they have a few in allentown so we can find out . I like my color matched inserts and different flasher colors. Also i love the mothership gozmod that has green leds but turn red when ship is hit... wonder if new one does that as its a great effect?

Dude...your game is awesome! I wouldn't dump it for an AFMr.

#1070 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Dude...your game is awesome! I wouldn't dump it for an AFMr.

Thax ... i just had a bad moment of judgement for a few day's lol, bc i had a bunch of pm's with some nice offers that basically cld of gotten me a nib new one .

#1071 7 years ago

Best part is the original screen printed cab ......20160902_042121 (resized).jpg20160902_042121 (resized).jpg20160902_042153 (resized).jpg20160902_042153 (resized).jpg

#1072 7 years ago

I'd keep your OG AFM.

#1073 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'd keep your OG AFM.

Yea i think i will ...im just gonna upgrade some more things on it. It just plays to well to let go....

#1074 7 years ago

The colors on that cab are stunning!

#1075 7 years ago

The remake plays almost identical to the original, but noticeably faster being fresh out of the box. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Anybody picking one up will be happy, but current owners shouldn't feel the need to "upgrade" to the remake. Aside from less mileage on the components, it's a pretty much lateral move.

#1076 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The colors on that cab are stunning!

Yea it was in storage for most its life and then in a dark basement for the other . Shes a beauty and has a well above average playfield for a original afm. Plays very fast now....

#1077 7 years ago

Anyone have any pics of the underneath of the Playfield? Like to see under the hood.

#1078 7 years ago

Interesting....im keeping my original lol.... wldnt know where to start working on this if i had a issue.....FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg

#1079 7 years ago

Also looks like the flashers are pcbs which i dont like bc i like different color ones for different areas especially the ships....

#1080 7 years ago

the game was really nice I wasn't really liking the green trim till I saw it in person. there was always a huge crowd around it, got to play it Friday and put my deposit down today. Was able to play almost all the games I wanted except Dialed in. Think the way they had the new games set up made it a little difficult to play. They had a lot of new games in one corner so there was a huge group of people always surrounding them. Thought TPF was great, but wow was it crowded. going to bring a couple of games next year to try to help the cause, don't think there was a machine besides em's that didn't have someone on it the whole time.

I'm not a music person, but aero-smith was probably one of the best there in my opinion. really tempted to get it, but since I didn't play dialed in... played the jetsons and BM66 and meh...

#1081 7 years ago

....L.E. number 609 steel shipping in Italy!

#1082 7 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

I'm at TPF and still have a few LE slots available. Stop the Escalera booth and get your spot
Larry
Flipnoutpinball.com

Gotcha at LAX on DI Larry. Went with JJ for AFMR. You guys are both great

#1083 7 years ago

I took a 1 minute video is the LE. Be sure and set the resolution to 1080p.

#1084 7 years ago

Awesome vid. Thanks. Can't wait.

#1085 7 years ago

Played a few games on the LE at TPF. Plays almost exactly like the original. But a couple of things were a let down.

The most obvious were the insert LED's. Colours were harsh, but the blinking was terrible - you almost couldn't see the inserts blinking. On the 3 saucer stand ups for example, it was almost impossible to tell which ones you had hit and which ones you hadn't. Not sure if this is fixable but I also remember it on MMR.

The translite printing was terrible - dull colours and seemed poor quality printing. It was missing the clear cutout parts of the original.

Between the topper, the green rails, the lit speakers and the huge display, the LE overall felt a bit like an over pimped slot machine - completely over the top with way too much bling. Lets try and add everything we can to this game. Not only was it so far from the original as possible, it just looked kitsch and tacky. Of course that's my personal opinion and some may like it.

But play wise it was good - like a new AFM. Very fast and smooth. If you're happy with all the above, it's a winner.

#1086 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The most obvious were the insert LED's. Colours were harsh, but the blinking was terrible - you almost couldn't see the inserts blinking. On the 3 saucer stand ups for example, it was almost impossible to tell which ones you had hit and which ones you hadn't. Not sure if this is fixable but I also remember it on MMR.

Hmmm...no idea of what you speak of.

Blinking is fine. Bummer about the clear cutout missing from the translight though.

#1087 7 years ago

No Strobe Multiball yet? Or has this been taken out?

#1088 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Blinking is fine.

Not on the one I played.

#1089 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The translite printing was terrible - dull colours and seemed poor quality printing. It was missing the clear cutout parts of the original.

that's so you buy the 3D translite...which is super cool actually and another $200

#1090 7 years ago

I've owned MM and AFM in the past. I can understand holding onto originals if you already have a nice one, but the only way I am ever getting one of those games back is with one of the new ones. It's a no brainer to me. I'm glad to see the fantastic sales and I hope they continue to produce games at least one a year at this point. I would also love to see something like Fathom or similar reproduced.

#1091 7 years ago

I noticed the blinking problem as well. Not sure if you can adjust the fade effect or not, like you can with LED OCD.

#1092 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I've owned MM and AFM in the past. I can understand holding onto originals if you already have a nice one, but the only way I am ever getting one of those games back is with one of the new ones. It's a no brainer to me. I'm glad to see the fantastic sales and I hope they continue to produce games at least one a year at this point. I would also love to see something like Fathom or similar reproduced.

I think if you haven't owned AFM before, the classic is definitely the go value wise (if you're happy with the blinking and the translite.)

#1093 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Played a few games on the LE at TPF. Plays almost exactly like the original. But a couple of things were a let down.
Between the topper, the green rails, the lit speakers and the huge display, the LE overall felt a bit like an over pimped slot machine - completely over the top with way too much bling. Lets try and add everything we can to this game. Not only was it so far from the original as possible, it just looked kitsch and tacky. Of course that's my personal opinion and some may like it.
But play wise it was good - like a new AFM. Very fast and smooth. If you're happy with all the above, it's a winner.

I liked the idea that it was easy to distinguish it from the original, I think that was part of the point. That's basically what everyone else is doing with their machines is trying to add as much stuff as possible to get as much $ from the consumer as they can. Obviously it's been working or they would of stopped it long ago. As long as the game plays the same way that's all that really matters. I think it's being looked at from the wrong stand point like they are defacing some priceless work of art. When they are only trying to recreate something for today based on what has been selling in the past. Didn't notice the translite, or blinking. Then again I was only over there for a little while.

#1094 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think if you haven't owned AFM before, the classic is definitely the go value wise (if you're happy with the blinking and the translite.)

I'm still amazed that people are happily sending in their money on a product that had the CC and art chipping off the very *first time it was shown* ??? Good luck with that... you'll need the 10 part Cliffy set and some faith.

#1095 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

that's so you buy the 3D translite...which is super cool actually and another $200

That should really come "standard" on the LE.

#1096 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm still amazed that people are happily sending in their money on a product that had the CC and art chipping off the very *first time it was shown* ??? Good luck with that... you'll need the 10 part Cliffy set and some faith.

yeah, I didn't like that either, but I have the faith. going to install a playfield protector and pimp it out to make my money back
I have to many projects to try to fix another 20 year old machine. I'm definitely not going to pay 12k for a completely restored machine either.

#1097 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yes, it is the same reason I am uncomfortable purchasing a NIB from Stern.

#1098 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

yeah, I didn't like that either, but I have the faith. going to install a playfield protector and pimp it out to make my money back
I have to many projects to try to fix another 20 year old machine. I'm definitely not going to pay 12k for a completely restored machine either.

I still find it hard to believe *anybody* would pay close to that much for an AFM. I have a damn near perfect unfaded one I bought 15 years ago and I wouldn't think it would go for anywhere near that. And it's fully LED'ed with the Bill Ung kit, etc.

Silly market indeed if what you say is true...

#1100 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Yes, it is the same reason I am uncomfortable purchasing a NIB from Stern.

Me too.

One difference is at least they are attempting to send out full PF swaps.

Plus their particular problem is that their PF's usually didn't show the problems until shortly after the owners started playing them.

This is in contrast to continuing to build and ship machines with a PF you *know* your current customers are unhappy about and knowing you won't be accepting any back for a return or swap.

Oh well...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-has-landed-in-dallas-texas-with-pics/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.