(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 62 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1296 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 26.
#951 3 years ago

Love to see how well strobe multiball looks on the remake. I'm assuming no xenon tube in lieu of a led simulating the strobe? Did they incorporate a blackout mod to it as well?

I like how the mini ships change colors from green to red including the flasher color. Very cool. The saucer led patterns pale in comparison to bill ung's patterns. The speed of the mothership's leds seemed very fast. You can see a standards mothership led pattern right next to it for comparison.

#952 3 years ago

Please help me if I am wrong.

Is it correct that standard versions, if the demand exists could be made for 3, 5, or 10 years?

#953 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Please help me if I am wrong.
Is it correct that standard versions, if the demand exists could be made for 3, 5, or 10 years?

Sure. Why not.

#954 3 years ago

If that's true, and we don't assume steady price increases, then used prices on huo, in a few years should drop proportionally?

#955 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

no idea where you get this stuff!

How exactly you think that disproves anything I said, I have no idea. I don't think you do though, and you're playing purposely ignorant.

#956 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If that's true, and we don't assume steady price increases, then used prices on huo, in a few years should drop proportionally?

Can't dedicate an assembly line to a product that has dwindling sales and there are still plenty of other remakes that need to be.....well...remade.

#957 3 years ago

Probably not. Look at MMR which went up and down in production in about two years. Either they maintain their schedule (for consistent yet pedantic profits) or they change the schedule. Which imo means not an extended production period for a pin (their previous production schedule/numbers appear fairly robust), rather it's about accelerating the production of the next title . The real money is in offering multiple pins concurrently in a marketplace, so that they will appeal to different group of buyers. AKA Stern.

#958 3 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Here's some more HD vid with topper shown.
ยป YouTube video

The saucer LED's. On that LE really add to it compared to the SE next to it. Thanks for the vid!

#959 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

The saucer LED's. On that LE really add to it co pared to the SE next to it. Thanks for the vid!

It all depends on how much money you have and how much of a dream theme AFMR is. Stern's three pin trim level has been very successful, and yet debated endlessly. Smart for PPS/CGC so do similar to maximize profit, and it will also produce endless debate.

#960 3 years ago

Maybe its just me but the colors on the new large DMD just look off and not as good compared to ColorDMD. Almost too much use of color or lack of depending on the animation. I do see that the letters in "France" in the remake are using the colors of the flag of France which is cool.

Comparion below.

ColorDMD

ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
AFM Remake

LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG

#961 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Maybe its just me but the colors on the new large DMD just look off and not as good compared to ColorDMD. Almost too much use of color or lack of depending on the animation.
Comparion below.
ColorDMD

AFM Remake

Not particularly keen on the rainbow meter bar. Otherwise, what I've seen looks good.

#962 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Not particularly keen on the rainbow meter bar. Otherwise, what I've seen looks good.

Yeah, I think that's whats throwing it off for me. A solid color for the meter bar, like in the original, would look better in my opinion.

#963 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Maybe its just me but the colors on the new large DMD just look off and not as good compared to ColorDMD. Almost too much use of color or lack of depending on the animation. I do see that the letters in "France" in the remake are using the colors of the flag of France which is cool.
Comparion below.
ColorDMD

AFM Remake

I'm not a videophile and I'm sure I have terminology screwed up but it almost looks over saturated. May just be due to the picture though.

#964 3 years ago

How is the glare on the glass with those large DMDs?

#965 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I'm not a videophile and I'm sure I have terminology screwed up but it almost looks over saturated. May just be due to the picture though.

There are adjustments in the service menu for the screen.

#967 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

One man's over saturated vs another's washed out. No doubt the newer tech can take advantage of a broader brightness range as well as color palette.

#968 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Maybe its just me but the colors on the new large DMD just look off and not as good compared to ColorDMD. Almost too much use of color or lack of depending on the animation.
Comparion below.
ColorDMD

AFM Remake

The typeface and meter bar look stretched out for some reason compared to the original's graphics. Are we sure that the XL display is the same aspect ratio as the standard display?

#969 3 years ago

AFMr LE #34 is on order...(well, as soon as I send in a check)!

Robert

#970 3 years ago

Luckily someone sent me an email or I would have missed it.. Ordered the LE #393. I will be listing my afm FS soon..

I wonder if they could retrofit the wide lcd for the MMRLE remake.

#971 3 years ago

LE #289 for me!

#972 3 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

LE #289 for me!

Nice addition sir..!

#973 3 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

LE #289 for me!

If it's like MMr...10 per week = 29 weeks -> November

Robert

#974 3 years ago

Played a few games today and it's pretty awesome. They offer serial number matching to mid April for original MMR owners that buy an LE. And they'll apparently install SOL protectors at the factory. I'm tempted, but so many awesome new pins to choose from...

#975 3 years ago

LE #532 w/black trim

#976 3 years ago

Ah damn

AFMr is like $2,000 more than a full color LCD based NIB Aerosmith Pro shipped

Factor in CE AFMr @ $6,500 + Color DMD + S&H = $7,200

I'm just not their target but I hope plenty of others are.

Oh well, still looks fantastic for what it is... a brand new friggin AFM!!!! Congrats to those who always wanted a NIB AFM for $7K

#977 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Bingo. Hilton got his Alien so he's all gung-ho...but his is essentially a "sample model". Alien isn't a mainstream purchase choice yet. Heighway hasn't shown they can ship in large numbers yet...so as a "what can I buy now" choice for a customer, they're out of the running.

didn't it take over 2 years for people to get MMrs?

Quoted from FalconPunch:

You can easily argue a lot of things but I struggle to see how you can argue that alien is a better shooter than afm! And no, posting a picture of all the available shots doesn't mean it's a good shooter.
I could do the same thing for the hobbit and have 15 more shots mapped out but I am the first to admit that the worst attribute of the hobbit is the way it shoots. Probably the same with Alien.

well... I own and play both on a weekly basis. AFM cant even come close to the flow and great geometry of Aliens. I know you are just basing things on watching some videos this far, but go get some games on Aliens and check it out for yourself.

#978 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I know you are just basing things on watching some videos this far,

I was at expo and put 10+ games into it.

#979 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The bill ung type leds or the game leds in general?

I thought both look great. I'm a sucker for LED's since I think they add a lot to the appeal of a game.

#980 3 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

I thought both looked great. I'm a sucker for LED's since I think they add a lot to appeal of a game.

O yea for sure ..all my pins must have leds in them.

#981 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

well... I own and play both on a weekly basis. AFM cant even come close to the flow and great geometry of Aliens. I know you are just basing things on watching some videos this far, but go get some games on Aliens and check it out for yourself.

Dude, didn't you totally vouch for Predator over and over as well? Now, you've hitched your cart to the Alien horse. Please step back, at least for Andrew's sake.

#982 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

didn't it take over 2 years for people to get MMrs?

Irrelevant to 2017. They had a lot to figure out and it took longer than they thought. They delayed the announcement of AFM until all ducks were in a row. They have all the parts and the setup to build. Color dots are done. It's ready. MMr wasn't ready at announcement.

#983 3 years ago

Topper in action. The LE is killer imo.

#984 3 years ago

Know it's hard to tell in a crowded area but how is the sound quality over the original?

#985 3 years ago

I thought the toppers arms would move, not just bounce up and down like that..

#986 3 years ago

Love the topper!

#987 3 years ago

Anyone get strobe mb yet? How does it look and does the backbox lights go off during it?

#988 3 years ago

I played a few games on the remakes tonight and the LE is awesome. The big display is beautiful. It's a big upgrade that I think is worth it. That green armor looks better in person too. Go green! 8k for a NIB top 5 game with a bunch of mods included! Good job PPS!

#989 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Anyone get strobe mb yet? How does it look and does the backbox lights go off during it?

Not like you'll be able to tell in that room. There are so many lights; it won't matter.

#990 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Not like you'll be able to tell in that room. There are so many lights; it won't matter.

Wasn't sure if they turned lights down or had a after party like pintastic .....

#991 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wasn't sure if they turned lights down or had a after party like pintastic .....

Didn't think about that. Then again, I never get to go to cool stuff like this ): ....

Next year, I'm going to TPF 2018. Unless Cuba, Iraq, Russia, China, and Korea all invade at once, I am SO going....tired of missing out.

#992 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Didn't think about that. Then again, I never get to go to cool stuff like this ): ....
Next year, I'm going to TPF 2018. Unless Cuba, Iraq, Russia, China, and Korea all invade at once, I am SO going....tired of missing out.

Im actually planning to also as it seems to be the best show in the country....

#993 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I was at expo and put 10+ games into it.

very different game now, as you can see form the videos. I played it at expo also.

Quoted from dzoomer:

Dude, didn't you totally vouch for Predator over and over as well? Now, you've hitched your cart to the Alien horse. Please step back, at least for Andrew's sake.

Dude, do you always try to continually pigenhole people and degrade an actual pinball conversation into personal attacks? Predator was far from a good shooter; and I never said it was. It shows the intent of your attacks when you change a conversation from the merits of a game to "but you supported Predator, WHAAAAAAA" I have no vested interest in Aliens, just like the game and think it silly when anyone continually bashes on a game you have yet to play. If you want to ask personal questions; I am curious how you are affiliated with MMr/AFMr/PPS/CGC. Care to share? You have 'hitched your horse' to their product and unlike me just being a pinhead that likes a game, you have an obvious financial bias and potential gain from selling these games. Are you a dealer? distributor? reseller? employee? Your defense of your company affiliation is obvious and your credibility evaporates when you continually attack all other companies/games and even worse just regular pinheads showing their opinion on a game they like. It honestly turns people off from your entire brand.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Irrelevant to 2017. They had a lot to figure out and it took longer than they thought. They delayed the announcement of AFM until all ducks were in a row. They have all the parts and the setup to build. Color dots are done. It's ready. MMr wasn't ready at announcement.

If that is the case, then it will be great that anyone ordering now will get their game in the next 3-6 months. I find that hard to believe but would be great news for those interested in buying. I think it is expected that things will go better for #2 game, but also expected that this is once again a completely new thing and new manufacturer than Stern contract build, and that alone will cause some delays with the learning curve. don't you think?

#994 3 years ago

After seeing and playing one last night I'm also in on an LE in black. I waited in line to play all the new games at the show and have to say there are a lot of great choices out there! This is a wonderful time for those who love pinball. The organizers of TPF do a terrific job and I certainly appreciate their hard work.

#995 3 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

If it's like MMr...10 per week = 29 weeks -> November

That was with Stern building the games though right, so not necessarially a guide to what they'll be able to do with AFM? Or did they shift MMR production over to CGC and I missed it?

#996 3 years ago

Sorry if this has been answered but in a description I read that painstaking effort was made to simulate incandescent lighting. I always LED my pins and use alot of bright white (cool LED) versus warm white (incandescent) style. Does the remake look old school with warm whites? I'm assuming they are using LED boards and those LEDs can't be swapped?

#997 3 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Sorry if this has been answered but in a description I read that painstaking effort was made to simulate incandescent lighting. I always LED my pins and use alot of bright white (cool LED) versus warm white (incandescent) style. Does the remake look old school with warm whites? I'm assuming they are using LED boards and those LEDs can't be swapped?

LED's throughout. You can set the brightness level in the menu. The way they have them setup now, the SE has the playfield brightness at 100%, the LE is set lower (not sure the #).

#998 3 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

LED's throughout. You can set the brightness level in the menu. The way they have them setup now, the SE has the playfield brightness at 100%, the LE is set lower (not sure the #).

Right, but even a warm white LED at full brightness gives off a different hue than a cool white LED. I'm just trying to figure out if even at full brightness if it still looks like bright incandescent lighting or if it looks like cool bright LED lighting? Thanks for following up.

#999 3 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Right, but even a warm white LED at full brightness gives off a different hue than a cool white LED. I'm just trying to figure out if even at full brightness if it still looks like bright incandescent lighting or if it looks like cool bright LED lighting? Thanks for following up.

That is one thing i dont like also.... i like to color match my inserts or sometimes even change clear omes to color as it looks better in some cases. My current afm inserts look very nice and vibrant now and much better than the warm white leds the prior owner had in all them.

#1000 3 years ago

If anyone at TPF can find out or already knows what style of LEDs they used please share. As crazy as it sounds I think I'd be in on an LE if the LEDs are cool white. If they used warm white I'd prefer an original that I could then customize to my liking.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 37.50
There are 1296 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside