(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 26.
#651 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Really ? I dont get it every game? Is there a setting for it or something?

If you could turn that off with a setting that would be awesome!

#652 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

If you could turn that off with a setting that would be awesome!

If in tournament mode the sol awards just points..... so theres that....

#653 7 years ago

Sometimes when you shoot the Big-O-Beam, a cow is displayed and a female voice says: "Would you look at the size of that cow?!" and a moo is heard.
Sometimes when you shoot the Tractor Beam, a cow is beamed up. (View animation).DOHO is also seen in this animation.
Whenever one of these animations appears, hit the Launch button repeatedly for lots of mooing sounds. Do this for both of the ramps and then the next Video mode will be Cow Attack Video mode, where the
saucers has been replaced with mooing cow....

#654 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Sometimes when you shoot the Big-O-Beam, a cow is displayed and a female voice says: "Would you look at the size of that cow?!" and a moo is heard.
Sometimes when you shoot the Tractor Beam, a cow is beamed up. (View animation).DOHO is also seen in this animation.
Whenever one of these animations appears, hit the Launch button repeatedly for lots of mooing sounds. Do this for both of the ramps and then the next Video mode will be Cow Attack Video mode, where the
saucers has been replaced with mooing cow....

How fun!

#655 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

You mean black trim option on LE?

Yeah. It's a little confusing, special edition sounds more special haha, sorry. But yes the LE i.e. "Fanciest"

#656 7 years ago

Will these have coin mechs ?

#657 7 years ago

It would be awesome if bill ung could chime in and see if his mod would be compatible with the remakes.

#658 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Maybe a bill ung accepter?

#659 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Yes

#660 7 years ago

silly season

#661 7 years ago

I'm not sure I like the idea of the LEDs simulating the warmth of incandescent bulbs. Hopefully there will be third party LED mods like the original.

#662 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

It would be awesome if bill ung could chime in and see if his mod would be compatible with the remakes.

How would he even know? They haven't worked with him, that much I can tell you.

#663 7 years ago

I understand but bill understands electronics. This is a deal breaker for me if bills mod cant work im out

#664 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

I understand but bill understands electronics. This is a deal breaker for me if bills mod cant work im out

You won't buy a game based on whether a mod works or not? This modding shit has gotten way out of hand.

#665 7 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

You won't buy a game based on whether a mod works or not? This modding shit has gotten way out of hand.

Then you've never seen it in action. I couldn't go back to one without it either. Sure the gameplay is the same but without it... it's somehow well... sadder

#666 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Then you've never seen it in action. I couldn't go back to one without it either. Sure the gameplay is the same but without it... it's somehow well... sadder

Have you seen the new one with the tri and bi colored LEDs worked into the gameplay?

#667 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Have you seen the new one with the tri and bi colored LEDs worked into the gameplay?

No but I'll give it a chance. To be fair I'm not their target audience.

#668 7 years ago

I've been thinking about this remake thing a lot. And I've just realised, I'm sort of going to have to buy an SE. You know, just because it's so awesome and stuff. I could try to find reasons not to, but why go to all that effort?

#669 7 years ago

I've been trying to figure out which one to choose. But with three choices now I'm confused. When they finally figure out the prices, I'm sure we'll all be amused.

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It's a random award from the stroke of luck scoop. Usually awards every couple of games. Not the best video mode but not the worst.

In tournament mode I think it's the third SOL award?

#671 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When they finally figure out the prices, I'm sure we'll all be amused.

I'm excited for the price reveal on this game. I have no idea if it will be a massive ordering influx with people thinking it's a bargain, or a pitchfork and torch event. I think the best part of it is that the difference between those two outcomes seems to be about $500.

(My current bet is pitchforks and torches, but that is just my years of disappointment speaking)

#672 7 years ago

This looks to have been very well handled. Aside from not liking the speakers and LE trim colour, everything looks great.

My only complaint is that the new display should have been standard on all models. Cost savings should have been found elsewhere for the standard.

It's good to see more ambition. Particularly as a number of mooted future remakes will likely require or benefit hugely from it. Namely new code and media assets (sound and original DMD art) for BBB, CC, ToM or KP. AFM and MM were already really complete in that regard.

#673 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

My only complaint is that the new display should have been standard on all models. Cost savings should have been found elsewhere for the standard.

I don't agree with this. It's called a classic because they are trying to make it as close to the original as possible. An oversized display would not be considered "classic". Plus if people want a smaller original screen should they I have the option to reduce the price? I don't think so.

Although putting LEDs in it is definitely not original.

#674 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I don't agree with this. It's called a classic because they are trying to make it as close to the original as possible. An oversized display would not be considered "classic". Plus if people want a smaller original screen should they I have the option to reduce the price? I don't think so.

I prefer the look of the classic. I think the oversized dmd looks crammed in there. I'll probably get a classic, unless I don't like what's under the Playfield; Then I'll get a original.

#675 7 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I prefer the look of the classic. I think the oversized dmd looks crammed in there. I'll probably get a classic, unless I don't like what's under the Playfield; Then I'll get a original.

I prefer the look of the classic too, and would like to see this option continue for future releases like a possible CCR. This is mainly because I have a line up of classic Williams/Bally machines from the 90's, and I'd like to slot a CCR into the line up without it sticking out like a sore thumb, LOL. I like that the option for the wider display is available for people who want it though, of which I bet the majority will.

#676 7 years ago

I'm waiting for pricing, but likely in for an SE, maybe an LE if the price is reasonable and I can get one.

#677 7 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

It means i will just find an original, i would not bag on pps or cgc as i think they are doing great for our pin community.

#678 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

It means i will just find an original, i would not bag on pps or cgc as i think they are doing great for our pin community.

I dunno... they screwed quite a few people with the Mmr remake. Shipping faded factory second PF's to "valued customers" for *months* after being found out was pretty egregious. They only quit shipping them when they ran out or were shamed into stopping. "Valued customers" were forced to keep these inferior machines also.

It may not bother anyone else but I would never buy a product from this company. Not after seeing that behavior.

#679 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

How many people would keep it original if they were the same price? Despite what anyone says here, I'm guessing less than 5%.

I don't think the 'stretched' DMD looks particularly great either, but it's what's on the screen that counts. They no doubt did this rather than doing a new Stern Spike 2 type arrangement to save money, as that would have entailed a much more costly process of upgrading the dots on the DMD with a different aspect ratio and much more man hours needed, and rejigging the translite.

#680 7 years ago

I'll be offering a hand picked custom lighting kit for $99.
The perfect lighting mod as each incandescent bulb will be color selected to restore to original.
Not available anywhere else.

#681 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Neither is the Gameboy in the backbox running the game.

#682 7 years ago

Pricing 12pm Friday, Shipping starts May 1st

#683 7 years ago

pricing is communicated to everyone at 2pm Friday (not 12pm) CST

#684 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

That's 12pm my time!

#685 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Nice to know you are keeping up with the threads.

#686 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

They no doubt did this rather than doing a new Stern Spike 2 type arrangement to save money, as that would have entailed a much more costly process of upgrading the dots on the DMD with a different aspect ratio and much more man hours needed, and rejigging the translite.

They actually redid the dots... changing the aspect ratio of the art assets--considering the fact that they completely redid the art--would be a trivial time expenditure in that process.

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I just heard 5500 plus shipping for the standard?

Great choice if so!!!! Competing in the Stern Pro market is the way to go! You will sell 3000 of them at that price is my bet!

#688 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Great choice if so!!!! Competing in the Stern Pro market is the way to go! You will sell 3000 of them at that price is my bet!

If that's true I wouldn't be surprised to see 5000 units get sold over a few years. I'd be in at that price!

#689 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

April 1st is next week

#690 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think Stern may have pissed CGC off a little, I'm in at that price point

#691 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

They actually redid the dots... changing the aspect ratio of the art assets--considering the fact that they completely redid the art--would be a trivial time expenditure in that process.

Not at all. You'd be looking at far more work. If you keep identical aspect ratio and composition of the scenes (and everything is so far that we've seen), you save a lot of time. Change it all and you have far more work.

It's why I - and many people - question if Stern will do VEs on the new Spike 2 platform. Given the man hours it would take for the DMD, they might as well do a new title.

#692 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If so, this will sell a crap ton. $6000 with color + shipping.

Price will be key for me, I'd probably even spring for a LE/SE if the price was good.

#693 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Not at all. You'd be looking at far more work. If you keep identical aspect ratio and composition of the scenes (and everything is so far that we've seen), you save a lot of time. Change it all and you have far more work.

Not really. You can change canvas size/aspect (width versus height) in Photoshop/AI fairly simply. Have you seen the new dots? Clearly new art assets. The original art was obviously referenced--not purely traced. Point is, if they're redoing the art assets from the ground up (as it appears) then changing the canvas size is a trivial matter.

#694 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If so, this will sell a crap ton. $6000 with color + shipping.
Price will be key for me, I'd probably even spring for a LE/SE if the price was good.

If I can get an SE for $6k. I'm sold.

#695 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Not really. You can change canvas size/aspect (width versus height) in Photoshop/AI fairly simply. Have you seen the new dots? Clearly new art assets. The original art was obviously referenced--not purely traced. Point is, if they're redoing the art assets from the ground up (as it appears) then changing the canvas size is a trivial matter.

They'd need to draw new scenes and add new stuff if they went to a Spike 2 aspect. It would be by no means trivial. What they have done is likely already pretty costly and time consuming .... hence the palaver over the additional payments for colouration on MMr.

Given that the non standard aspect LCD panel is likely very much more expensive than the laptop type screen in new Sterns, I'm pretty confident you're grossly underestimating what the additional cost implications would have been.

#696 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

They'd need to draw new scenes and add new stuff if they went to a Spike 2 aspect. It would be by no means trivial. What they have done is likely already pretty costly and time consuming .... hence the palaver over the additional payments for colouration on MMr.
Given that the non standard aspect LCD panel is likely very much more expensive than the laptop type screen in new Sterns, I'm pretty confident you're grossly underestimating what the additional cost implications would have been.

Nah, they'd just extend the background scenes as required while maintaining the main original art in the center. It would be really easy.

#697 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I think Stern may have pissed CGC off a little, I'm in at that price point

may be the case.

I mean lets be honest. If Stern can pump out new games at 5100 delivered... seems like someone like CGC can pump out a remake at 5500 plus shipping.

They of course have the advantage of saving on all the cabinet costs since no mark up for your own product. They also have all the assembly line knowledge. They also have some of the development issues worked out from MMr stuff.

Only seems logical to hit at that 5500 price point. Also seems like the way to really take market share and establish yourself as a player.

This of course also hedges on the ability to produce games in a reasonable time frame.

#698 7 years ago

As much as i love having originals.... if these prices are true i may sell my original and get a le as its my favorite pin ever to play..

#699 7 years ago

I really hope you're right about that $5,500 price point, Hilton. It would mark the first real competition Stern has ever had in the pro market.

#700 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Quoted from Pimp77:

Nah, they'd just extend the background scenes as required while maintaining the main original art in the center. It would be really easy.

This. None of the important parts of the art are going to be around the edges of the screen; it will be near the center. You draw the background layer stuff once, and it is copied in subsequent frames.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 21.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-has-landed-in-dallas-texas-with-pics/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.