(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 26.
#601 7 years ago

Be interesting to see the pricing in a couple of days. The SE might be the one I would be interested in.

#602 7 years ago

animations look great

#603 7 years ago

It looks awesome. Its easy to lose in the picking over details how sweet it will be to have new AFMs out there.

#604 7 years ago

Looks spectacular! So many pretty dots!

ps. The brochure download link seems broken...

#605 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Interesting to note--the warranty differs depending on the model

Man it's always gotta be something petty with these guys no?

But I can't hate, game plays and looks great. I'd go for the cheapest one with the color upgrade.

If I were selling my original and buying one. I mean, I wouldn't do that would I?

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Chicago Gaming page for AFMR is up!
http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php

Holy moly the color dots look incredible...no surprise, they did a fantastic job on MMR....I think they've surpassed their work there.

#607 7 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Looks spectacular! So many pretty dots!
ps. The brochure download link seems broken...

After a bit of digging the brochure is here: http://www.chicago-gaming.com/Brochures/AFMBrochure.pdf

#608 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thats not much difference really and u forgot the special things on afm like strobe /board and mothership pcb with leds.. Afm has more elaborate metal scoop and subway system compared to the plastic tub/moat on mm . The castle is super cool on mm and definitely more to it tho. Id bet they were fairly close b.o.m wise back in the 90s tho. Both have some better things than one another and are also fairy similar. Im just glad im able to have both beside one another.

I left out PCBs deltas yes... mainly because its hard to quantify the meaningful cost delta there vs other deltas not mentioned (like metal work). The point was to contrast the difference in 'common elements' between the games to show that even tho the games were both fan layouts, both of the same generation, and both have a central bash target.. there are still significant deltas in the things we take for granted. I also didn't go into how many custom molds would be needed for each game, # of flash bulbs, etc.. you gotta stop somewhere for a simple comparison

Even in big ticket items.. Attack has one motor, one saucer toy, and alien poppers, with only the ships and ramps being new plastic. MM has castle towers, castle gate, castle bridge, catapult, trolls, damsel, castle walls, all significant assemblies and all with new plastic. There is a reason Stern tries to make alot their stuff out of flat cut plastics these days

#609 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Interesting to note--the warranty differs depending on the model

Think of it as getting an extended warranty thrown in by your sales guy to put you over the edge to buy the more expensive model.

Its like tools.. You buy the commodity part..you get a standard warranty.. or you buy the 'pro' tool and it comes with a lifetime warranty. It's part of the price justification they charge for the higher priced product.. not that they expect the other product to fail sooner.

#610 7 years ago

Here's the brochure PDF. Click on the picture to view it all.

AFMBrochure.pdfAFMBrochure.pdf

#611 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Holy moly the color dots look incredible...no surprise, they did a fantastic job on MMR....I think they've surpassed their work there.

The new dot art is definitely better--they didn't just take the same assets and colorize them.

TBH it's starting to move the needle for my wallet (mixed metaphor day). Wasn't interested in this until seeing those new dots.

#612 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

The new dot art is definitely better--they didn't just take the same assets and colorize them.

Just image how they will look on BBB and KP

#613 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

TBH it's starting to move the needle for my wallet (mixed metaphor day). Wasn't interested in this until seeing those new dots.

Did you see the MMR dots? Same thing - new art with higher rez (more smaller) dots.

#614 7 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

OMG.

#615 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Here's the brochure PDF. Click on the picture to view it all.

Nice!

Robert

#616 7 years ago

I like what they've done with the feature matrix. I think the three different models strike a nice balance, and each step up offers compelling reasons to spend more. Since the gameplay is the same on every model, you're essentially just paying for different levels of bling. Obviously, we haven't seen the pricing yet, but I predict that the SE will be the biggest seller. That huge screen with the upgraded graphics is very compelling.

#617 7 years ago

I wonder if they were able to colorize the video mode? They couldn't on MMr.

#618 7 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Don't you mean MB?

(And I own an MB)

#619 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I wonder if they were able to colorize the video mode? They couldn't on MMr.

...and if they COULD do it ...where's the MMr update!?!?!?

#620 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...and if they COULD do it ...where's the MMr update!?!?!?

There was nothing noticeably different with the video mode on the AFMr I played.

#621 7 years ago

I am very curious if the mini-saucer LEDs will be an available option on the SE. From the flyer, it does not look like it.

#622 7 years ago
Quoted from Silver_Bullet:

I am very curious if the mini-saucer LEDs will be an available option on the SE. From the flyer, it does not look like it.

Yeah was hoping this was upgradeable.

#623 7 years ago

Cow is cool!

afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).pngafm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

#624 7 years ago

The guys they have doing the updated color are great. Really great art direction that keeps the intent of the original while interpreting it into a newer yet retro style. They "get it", and ya gotta give props to CGC for finding them in the first place and keeping them on board. If these guys stick around for a Monster Bash Remake, I would absolutely consider selling my MB and "upgrading".

#625 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The guys they have doing the updated color are great. Really great art direction that keeps the intent of the original while interpreting it into a newer yet retro style. They "get it", and ya gotta give props to CGC for finding them in the first place and keeping them on board. If these guys stick around for a Monster Bash Remake, I would absolutely consider selling my MB and "upgrading".

So you're not still pissed off about them charging you for the last color update?

Quoted from Rarehero:

For me, charging for the color update was a greedy dick move for short term dollars while ignoring the long-game value of customer loyalty. They got my $200, but will forfeit future thousands. I was also considering buying some of those 3D translites...but decided to close my wallet.

#626 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So you're not still pissed off about them charging you for the last color update?

As a wise man once said, "sweet, sweet new animation heals all wounds."

#627 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It is good for him to let it go and not harbor the resentment!

#628 7 years ago

You guys are probably right.

#629 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You guys are probably right.

Off topic but your new Avatar is giving me a headache

#630 7 years ago

It's an optical delusion.

#631 7 years ago

Subscribed

#632 7 years ago

The game looks great, and the LE with the black trim will look sweet. I've already owned, restored, played to death and sold an original AFM and am still tempted. Love the LE/SE package and the extras seem pretty cool.

Honestly the only thing I really don't like about the SE and LE is the window cut-out over the LCD with the digital Bally logo. "Insert logo here". Don't think it's necessary and really think it would have been better without it.

Just a minor whinge. Looking forward to playing it in Texas.

#633 7 years ago

Oh man, that black trim option on the SE is so tempting... but if it is indeed $6900 for the standard with the color upgrade I'm just gonna have to live without dat bling.

#634 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

It is good for him to let it go and not harbor the resentment!

I'm not sure who you're talking to (ignored user) - but I'm assuming this is about me? I still don't like that they charged me for the color update...but that has nothing to do with how I feel about the artists and their work. They're awesome and I'd give them credit all day long.

#635 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not sure who you're talking to (ignored user)

It's me bucko!

#636 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not sure who you're talking to (ignored user) - but I'm assuming this is about me? I still don't like that they charged me for the color update...but that has nothing to do with how I feel about the artists and their work. They're awesome and I'd give them credit all day long.

To much info lost by ignore to explain, my comment was a compliment towards you.

#637 7 years ago

These are looking good and if the pricing really starts at $6500 (or even slightly less) they will sell a ton of them.

Personally I'd still rather squeeze into an Alien but I'm glad these will be out there and I might even pic one up in the not to distant future.

#638 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

To much info lost by ignore to explain, my comment was a compliment towards you.

Yeah I got that, I'm assuming whoever I had on ignore was snarking about me complimenting the artists because I complained about paying for the upgrade. It's all good.

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm assuming whoever I had on ignore was snarking about me complimenting the artists because I complained about paying for the upgrade.

wrong, bucko.

Quoted from Rarehero:

They got my $200, but will forfeit future thousands. I was also considering buying some of those 3D translites...but decided to close my wallet.

Quoted from Rarehero:

If these guys stick around for a Monster Bash Remake, I would absolutely consider selling my MB and "upgrading".

#640 7 years ago

You gotta quote the whole thing..

Quoted from Rarehero:

I bought MMr, got it May 2015, still have it and really enjoy it. That being said, I'm highly unlikely to buy another PPS game. For me, charging for the color update was a greedy dick move for short term dollars while ignoring the long-game value of customer loyalty. They got my $200, but will forfeit future thousands. I was also considering buying some of those 3D translites...but decided to close my wallet.

"Highly unlikely..." Greg likes to rant, but is easily distracted by OOOH SHINY ANIMATIONS!!1

Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah I got that, I'm assuming whoever I had on ignore was snarking about me complimenting the artists because I complained about paying for the upgrade. It's all good.

No, it's because: see above and yea, the artists did a bang up job here...

#641 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Oh man, that black trim option on the SE is so tempting... but if it is indeed $6900 for the standard with the color upgrade I'm just gonna have to live without dat bling.

You mean black trim option on LE?

#642 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You gotta quote the whole thing..

Yeah well, that was about the 20th time he raved about never giving PPS/CGC another dime, and who knows how many times he's bragged about putting people on ignore. It is what it is...

#643 7 years ago

Hoping the SE pricing isnt too crazy. If its less than $8,000 it'll be a instabuy for me

#644 7 years ago

How often does the Video mode get played? Looks annoying as all get out.

#645 7 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Hoping the SE pricing isnt too crazy. If its less than $8,000 it'll be a instabuy for me

Instabought then.

#646 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

EVERY game...it's the reason why MM is the better game. Hate that mode. And you have to play since it's worth a lot (including an extra ball).

#647 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I really like the video mode and u only get it once every 5 games or so.... at least on mine. Theres also a special version of the video mode but never got it.

#648 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It's a random award from the stroke of luck scoop. Usually awards every couple of games. Not the best video mode but not the worst.

#649 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

EVERY game...it's the reason why MM is the better game. Hate that mode. And you have to play since it's worth a lot.

Really ? I dont get it every game? Is there a setting for it or something?

#650 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Theres also a special version of the video mode but never got it.

Had no idea. How is it different?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.50
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 1,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-has-landed-in-dallas-texas-with-pics/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.