(Topic ID: 183784)

Attack from Mars (Remake) has landed in Dallas, Texas - with pics!

By hassellcastle

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,296 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 62 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20170525-132527 (resized).png
grain (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557848624 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1490557842319 (resized).jpg
20160902_042121 (resized).jpg
20160902_042153 (resized).jpg
20161008_114109 (resized).jpg
20170201_044004 (resized).jpg
20161008_114151 (resized).jpg
LargeDMD_AFMR_remake (resized).JPG
ColorDMD_AFM (resized).JPG
screen shot 2017-01-26 at 093258 (resized).png
mmrow (resized).jpg
don-quixote (resized).png
wear (resized).jpg
afm-TracCowAfter-lg (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1296 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 26.
#551 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Thankfully most people want to play their games, not "collect" them. Very few want to restore their own games. That's expensive and takes serious time. I just want to play them. Bring on the remakes!

It is somewhat a stretch to state that pinball collectors or restorers don't play what they own.

Who are the people that salvaged games and rebuilt them, when everyone else wanted to throw them into landfills?
Are these the players?
Not that I have seen.

If you don't have collectors and restorers that are dedicated to history, the games that are mentioned never would never even be considered to be remade, some even lost to history.
AFM is no exception to this methodology, many were ready to be "junked" back in the early 2000s for their WPC95 board sets that were worth big $$$, but not the complete games.

Players become collectors over time, but hopefully not hoarders.
The percentage of players to collectors is always higher for many reasons.
Income levels, space, life goals, time, and even the "cool factor" that goes with period fads.

The order of progression is always as follows:
player-owner-collector-restorer-(hoarder)

This is based on time, not on money.
Sometimes you can go backwards and forwards in process.

Not playing games really defeats the purpose of owning the games in the first place, anyway.
It is not a stamp collection.
Musicians play their fine instruments.
Car owners drive their classics from their stables.
Bikers ride their motorcycles from their garage.
Wine owners drink vintage bottles.

Most long time collectors restore, rebuild, collect, and play every day, to some extent. We don't just look at them. We don't play as much sometimes, because we have played games for years. I don't play my TZ for example every day, because I have owned it for nearly 24 years, but it does not mean I never play the game. Unfortunately, I cannot play my backglass collection, which is another pinball passion.

Restoration is not always expensive, but it does require patience and willingness to learn new skills, and much more rewarding than simply buying a new game. It also requires effort to research and network for parts. This is part of the "quest". No doubt that players may initially feel daunted, but this can be overcome with mentorship. Personal restoration preference is now growing AGAIN due to market cost which occurs every 15 years or so, which results in larger amounts of reproduction parts. It also allows owners to avoid the speculation investment game that new owners play russian roulette with every time a new title is released.

If you want to play my games that I have set up and not in storage as you are very close, feel free to drop by.
They are not holy religious relics, or at least not to me.
Much cheaper than Ground Kontrol or Quarterworld.

#552 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

U can b both lol.... i play alot but also collect very nice originals or restored originals.

There is no wrong answer . I've just been pointing out what the general masses prefer to do .

#553 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You'd have to pay back the GST when you sold the game though, eh?

rd

Definitely. I'll just have to hoard and never sell.

#554 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You'd have to pay back the GST when you sold the game though, eh?
Unless you sold it to "someone" for $1500, say ... minimising the GST amount ...
rd

Yep, pinball is a terrible investment. And they're usually stuffed by the time you sell them.

#555 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I have also heard from two very credible sources:
Base $6500
Mid $7500
Super LE $8500
If that is the pricing, I think it is pretty good.
Probably nailed it right at the market sweet point.
rd

Dave,

I announced it on Pinside 1yr ago and I said $6500-$7000 as my credible source from Chicago assured me it was going to be a lot cheaper than MMr as it is a basic game in comparison etc (his words). They still had to work out the price etc back then but they were trying for around the $6500 mark (the Classic model).

I guess we will see next Friday exactly how much it will be. Have fun at TPF!

#556 2 years ago

Don't recall seeing this video. Slingshots seem dead!

#557 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Riiiiight because there has been....let's see......MMR.....and and and.......Remake(s)

Yeah and it sucked.

feel free to give your money to the folks who brought us the "Diffuser".

The history,the price.you could find an original.

#558 2 years ago

Looks like the community's voice on the red trim is being heard...

https://www.planetarypinball.com/forum/index.php/topic,1235.0.html

#559 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Not really, if it was then it would be an available trim color out of the box. If there is sufficient interest, then it would be available at the PPS store for purchase aftermarket that you install yourself. At that point, I will simply do my own powdercoating and put on whatever colour I like. It really is easy to do. Now, getting the Attack From Mars letters green on the decals for a green trimmed LE is another matter. That is something I wish they would do.

#560 2 years ago

is the mainboard the same like MMR? at the left side ?

i hope

not again all new components redesigned

#561 2 years ago

I am surprised they don't offer CHROME on the LE. That would make the most sense to me.

#562 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Nothing is directly obvious.
If a person is a hardcore collector, "new" does not make anything more lucrative. It actually works in reverse. They see through the veil. There is no pettiness, it is much more direct.
"New" pushes us away like poles on magnet. It is not exclusive to current or future values. Collectors will take a used original game in excellent condition, all the time, every day of the week for the equal cost of a remake, minor flaws included.
It only makes sense of you are player, simply want to own the game, or not willing to put effort, time, or skill into a restoration. Quite typical at the current moment, especially when some blame older collectors being the source of the problem by "hoarding" games.
Remakes are marketed to a different type of buyer, predominating new enthusiasts, and not a viable sales product in times of market stagnation as they fail or marginally successful, as senior collectors do not want them, new buyers are not around, and operator sales are small.

In your opinion I think there are several different types of collector.

I'm a collector of all things BMW I have as many brand new BMW cars as I have old BMW cars, I do some parts of restoration if I have time - and it's something I can do a good job on.

I'm also a collector of all things NASA - here is where I align more to your definition - with older stuff being more valuable purely because the early days of manned space flight was more exciting. But I a have lot of brand new Omega Speedmaster watches that commemorate Project Apollo.

On pinball I want to collect and be able to play the games, my ideal world is find a warehouse full of brand new in box B/W games such as MM, MB or AFM. In my opinion the re-makes fall into this category and I have a MMR and will have AFMR - the playability of the games is why I collect them. Not to look at them or polish them with the softest diaper, I want them to look great and play great and be reliable hence new appeals - my MMR by a million miles is more reliable than my 2 new sterns my MB, STTNG, DEST25 and my BoP and it plays just like the original.

Great example recently that illustrate this was the NIB robotron cocktails that were discovered.

it's the game I want and if the remake gives me that game - I'll collect it.

Neil

#563 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I am surprised they don't offer CHROME on the LE. That would make the most sense to me.

somebody earlier in the thread said it was available in stainless too

black would be great, sounds like it will be an option

#564 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I 2nd the chrome option.

#565 2 years ago

So when are the official details to be released?
How long after that was MMR actually shipping?

#566 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

March 24th

#567 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

At $6500 even my tight, broke ass might buy one. Would have to let go of a few low dollar games but would be worth it.

I'm on the other side of PA.

Easy drive over when i am down there already.

#568 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

You want that in months or years?

AFMr production will be different. CGC will be building them, not contracting out to Stern, and they should start shortly.

Full details to be announced 3/24.

#569 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Just dumb.
People who want red since CCG/PPS won't be assembling before boxing should just buy stainless and have the powdercoating gurus do the red trim. TBH; Ricky's "position" on this just seems wrong... The community has spoken; and they should offer Red as well - the same powdercoater can do red as they do black and green... so Sorry; just don't see Rickies logic here.

Oh well; glad I'm not a customer of his.

#571 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Just dumb.
People who want red since CCG/PPS won't be assembling before boxing should just buy stainless and have the powdercoating gurus do the red trim. TBH; Ricky's "position" on this just seems wrong... The community has spoken; and they should offer Red as well - the same powdercoater can do red as they do black and green... so Sorry; just don't see Rickies logic here.
Oh well; glad I'm not a customer of his.

I don't get this either. Replacing trim shouldn't be difficult, but I don't think it's as easy as he makes it sound either (and some people just aren't going to undertake the project). Besides why pay twice for the trim? If the vast majority of potential LE buyers don't like the green than at least do it the other way - ship with red or black and have green as an aftermarket option (if not a production option).

#572 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don't get this either. Replacing trim shouldn't be difficult, but I don't think it's as easy as he makes it sound either (and some people just aren't going to undertake the project). Besides why pay twice for the trim? If the vast majority of potential LE buyers don't like the green than at least do it the other way - ship with red or black and have green as an aftermarket option (if not a production option).

Read what he said. Many Pinsiders bitched about MMR Gold, but when it came to actual sales numbers - the majority bought gold. Pinside is a vocal minority.

I think the only way they'll fully offer red as an option is if green LE's flat out aren't selling. If they sell, no reason to placate a few people on a forum.

#573 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Read what he said. Many Pinsiders bitched about MMR Gold, but when it came to actual sales numbers - the majority bought gold. Pinside is a vocal minority.
I think the only way they'll fully offer red as an option is if green LE's flat out aren't selling. If they sell, no reason to placate a few people on a forum.

My wife said the green was just fine until she saw a black resto.
Now she only wants black.
So Im getting a black one, Rick has plenty of black trim left over from MMr since everyone went with the weird gold trim.
If I have to pay a little more or change out the siderails its not a deal killer.

#574 2 years ago

Is AFM $1500 less complex than MM? How much does the portcullis, drawbridge and 2 trolls cost? (since it's the same game otherwise)

#575 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Pinside is a vocal minority.

Telling

Quoted from benheck:Is AFM $1500 less complex than MM? How much does the portcullis, drawbridge and 2 trolls cost? (since it's the same game otherwise)

Word to the muther fuckin streets

#576 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Is AFM $1500 less complex than MM? How much does the portcullis, drawbridge and 2 trolls cost? (since it's the same game otherwise)

But afm has the 4 moving Martians and 3 target motorized drop bank and drop target behind it. . I dont think theres much difference in the cost between the 2 really. The castle is little more complex but overall they both use about the same amount of stuff.

#577 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

You know as well if not better then anyone that complexity or even BOM has anything to do with the price difference. The only two things different are:
1) they are building in-house
2) charging what they fell people will pay.

#578 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

You know as well if not better then anyone that complexity or even BOM has anything to do with the price difference. The only two things different are:
1) they are building in-house
2) charging what they fell people will pay.

A lot of the R&D developing the beaglebone black based system has been paid for through MMr so there will be some savings there.

#579 2 years ago

I have mm and afm basically beside one another and from a b.o.m standpoint they are very very similar as far as coils and mechs and parts. Afm has some cool lighting with the mothership leds and strobe tho.

#580 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

charging what they fell people will pay.

Right on...that's the basis of the free market! Companies aren't our buddies unfortunately.

#581 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Right on...that's the basis of the free market! Companies aren't our buddies unfortunately.

Thank God I can charge my customers what I feel they can pay so I can make enough money to buy dumb shit like commercial pinball machines for my basement.

#582 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

commercial pinball machines for my basement.

to be fair, your basement looks like a commercial space

#583 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

When you take the King down. There is only one way to go

#584 2 years ago

If it really is 6500 they should sell like hotcakes.
There are so many games where if they keep that pricepoint, they'll do quite well.

#585 2 years ago

PPS just sent out a newsletter announcing AFMr, however, no pricing yet.

pasted_image (resized).png

#586 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

PPS just sent out a newsletter announcing AFMr, however, no pricing yet.

Cool. Has it been confirmed what the features matrix is? From that flyer, it Looks like classic is A-typical with plain dmd. SE gets color dmd + lighted speakers. LE gets that + green trim & topper. In guessing the SE & LE may get a few extra play field mods too?

Will be interesting to see where pricing ends up on these as AS PRO looks to be one of the best bang for the bucks NIB pins on the market and potential future market.

#587 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

But afm has the 4 moving Martians and 3 target motorized drop bank and drop target behind it. . I dont think theres much difference in the cost between the 2 really. The castle is little more complex but overall they both use about the same amount of stuff.

AFM martians.. target bank is one motor.. one drop target.. kicker for ship and the plastic ships.. two poppers. 3 plastic ramps, 2 habit trails. Saucer assembly, (I wouldn't even count the aliens). 20+2 coils.. 51 switches.. 1 motor.

MM.. catapult.. motorized drawbridge.. castle gate.. actuated castle.. two trolls.. partial subway. 2 plastic ramps, 3 habit trails.. 2 troll assemblies, the gate and drawbridge assemblies.. castle assembly. 19+4 coils, 52 switches.. . 1 motor

I think MM has it beat by a long shot. More coils, more assemblies, more formed plastic, more habitrails, more assembly.

#588 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

A lot of the R&D developing the beaglebone black based system has been paid for through MMr so there will be some savings there.

No, what you get is recovery of the capital sunk into the developing the platform.. you don't make the game cheaper due to that, you use the higher margin to repay yourself.

#589 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No, what you get is recovery of the capital sunk into the developing the platform.. you don't make the game cheaper due to that, you use the higher margin to repay yourself.

Unless they have done that with MMr and want to aggressively grab marketshare with future releases. May be the rare case in pinball where competition actually brings prices down.

#590 2 years ago

Oh hey they announced that the LE will have an option for different coloured trims!

#591 2 years ago

From the pics of the games at the Dallas Show, the Classic model has an LCD display that is single color (shown in GREEN) but software updatable to color (like MMR) for an additional cost.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Cool. Has it been confirmed what the features matrix is? From that flyer, it Looks like classic is A-typical with plain dmd. SE gets color dmd + lighted speakers. LE gets that + green trim & topper. In guessing the SE & LE may get a few extra play field mods too?
Will be interesting to see where pricing ends up on these as AS PRO looks to be one of the best bang for the bucks NIB pins on the market and potential future market.

#592 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Look at the start of the thread. All the extra features on the SE and LE are listed.

#593 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

AFM martians.. target bank is one motor.. one drop target.. kicker for ship and the plastic ships.. two poppers. 3 plastic ramps, 2 habit trails. Saucer assembly, (I wouldn't even count the aliens). 20+2 coils.. 51 switches.. 1 motor.
MM.. catapult.. motorized drawbridge.. castle gate.. actuated castle.. two trolls.. partial subway. 2 plastic ramps, 3 habit trails.. 2 troll assemblies, the gate and drawbridge assemblies.. castle assembly. 19+4 coils, 52 switches.. . 1 motor
I think MM has it beat by a long shot. More coils, more assemblies, more formed plastic, more habitrails, more assembly.

Thats not much difference really and u forgot the special things on afm like strobe /board and mothership pcb with leds.. Afm has more elaborate metal scoop and subway system compared to the plastic tub/moat on mm . The castle is super cool on mm and definitely more to it tho. Id bet they were fairly close b.o.m wise back in the 90s tho. Both have some better things than one another and are also fairy similar. Im just glad im able to have both beside one another.

#594 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

special things on afm like strobe /board and mothership pcb with leds../blockquote>

Anyone who's seen the game in person (unless its been announced and I have missed it) confirm if the strobe and mothership leds are on these remakes? Just wanted to ask and get it confirmed. thanks.

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Anyone who's seen the game in person (unless its been announced and I have missed it) confirm if the strobe and mothership leds are on these remakes? Just wanted to ask and get it confirmed. thanks.

They actually added to the mothership leds and added 2/3 colors depending on model. Not sure about how they did the strobe but id guess they just used leds this day in age? I guess it will have same effect as a actual strobe light?

#596 2 years ago

More info will be coming out during the next days up thru Friday on the AFMR.

PPS has a place you can go to see all of the news it has on the game here:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr/

If you want to add yourself to a distribution list for the latest PPS Remake News, you can do at the top of each of the posts there as well - there is a d-list for PPS Parts News as well. We will be adding a Q&A this week for more detailed questions as well here.

If you are interested in a game, you can join our pre-reserve list here:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/product/remake2_coming/

thanks.

#598 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Chicago Gaming page for AFMR is up!
http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php

Cool! So it does look like the dots have been redone/enhanced. Thumbs up!

#599 2 years ago

Interesting to note--the warranty differs depending on the model

pasted_image (resized).png

#600 2 years ago

Looks like Black & Stainless trim are now options aside from the green on the LE.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 89.99
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 249.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
€ 3.70
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 135.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Lit Frames
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Verona, NJ
$ 239.00
$ 209.00
There are 1296 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside