856F8BF9-FD07-4923-AF1C-1B8FD3CA87C4 (resized).jpeg
EDBA0EDD-F8DC-4085-9FE3-5AA6CDFB6C15 (resized).jpeg
2F6A43C7-DC4D-424E-9E9E-2AC8C26C3F70 (resized).jpeg
98E02F99-BE2C-4AB6-8A9C-7E28C85247D6 (resized).jpeg
Shooter Lane Ramp(1).pdf (PDF preview)
20211029_125131 (resized).jpg
20210506_170307 (resized).jpg
20210416_183443 (resized).jpg
There are 545 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
#351 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

It goes here, across from the scoop exit to make sure the ball cannot bounce out. Screws into the post.[quoted image]

Problem solved! Thank you!

3 months later
#352 4 years ago

Quick question. I am considering a AFMRse, I saw an LE on location and it was a mess. I fully understand the concept of play field dimples, but this thing had a high amount of play and should have "evened out" long ago. it didn't, it was a severe orange peel type texture. It looked like garbage.

Anyone else experiencing this? Was this an issue that was later fixed?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

#353 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I saw an LE on location and it was a mess.

Quoted from jalpert:

Anyone else experiencing this?

I have an LE here in commercial use since the beginning and no issues like you saw.

LTG : )

#354 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Quick question. I am considering a AFMRse, I saw an LE on location and it was a mess. I fully understand the concept of play field dimples, but this thing had a high amount of play and should have "evened out" long ago. it didn't, it was a severe orange peel type texture. It looked like garbage.
Anyone else experiencing this? Was this an issue that was later fixed?
I appreciate any input. Thanks.

This is normal.
Take another look at it after 25000 plays...

#355 4 years ago

It was on location in a popular barcade. Could have 25,000 plays on it already.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

This is normal.
Take another look at it after 25000 plays...

#356 4 years ago

So game has been working fine, but went to play this morning and balls will not eject into the shooter lane when a game is started. I checked and re-seated all of the connections. Still nothing.

Any ideas before I put in a ticket to CGC?

Thanks.

Dennis

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

So game has been working fine, but went to play this morning and balls will not eject into the shooter lane when a game is started. I checked and re-seated all of the connections. Still nothing.
Any ideas before I put in a ticket to CGC?
Thanks.
Dennis

Wire fall off the eject coil?

#358 4 years ago

Wire fall off the eject coil?

Doesn’t appear to have. I also reseated it. It’s weird everything seems to be working. Maybe one of the cons went bad?

#359 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Doesn’t appear to have. I also reseated it. It’s weird everything seems to be working. Maybe one of the cons went bad?

Check for voltage at the coil.

Check for a wire or loose connector.

Follow the harness and gently go through it.

Sometimes a pin in a connector gets pushed out, so reseat and inspect as you go.

Check connectors on the driver board.

#360 4 years ago

Check for voltage at the coil.
Check for a wire or loose connector.
Follow the harness and gently go through it.
Sometimes a pin in a connector gets pushed out, so reseat and inspect as you go.
Check connectors on the driver board.

So I took another look at it. Everything looks like it's connected up going back to the main PCB. I did not check the voltage yet, but I ran the solenoid test and a few are actually not working. I did notice a green wire that was unplugged laying in the bottom of the cab. Anyone have any idea on where that wire might go? Hoping that is my issue.

#361 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

I did notice a green wire that was unplugged laying in the bottom of the cab. Anyone have any idea on where that wire might go?

Sounds like a ground wire. Could you post a picture please.

Quoted from YZRider926:

I ran the solenoid test and a few are actually not working.

If all else fails. Check and see which fuse blew.

#362 4 years ago
45CC5EEC-B99C-478B-AE76-7F30A13BE159 (resized).jpeg45CC5EEC-B99C-478B-AE76-7F30A13BE159 (resized).jpegEF8E880C-65C0-4A59-980E-7091788CD327 (resized).jpegEF8E880C-65C0-4A59-980E-7091788CD327 (resized).jpeg
#363 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check and see which fuse blew.

Back box. Driver board. Lower right corner. Fuses F102, F103, F104. Check if the LEDs next to them are on. Please do this with the power on and coin door closed or high power interlock switch pulled out.

#364 4 years ago

Looks like one is out.

E8FA012C-D184-4D40-91DE-5002714D14A0 (resized).jpegE8FA012C-D184-4D40-91DE-5002714D14A0 (resized).jpeg
#365 4 years ago

Does the green wire go anywhere?

#366 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Sounds like a ground wire. Could you post a picture please.

Definitely a ground wire. My game doesn't have it. You could always open a ticket on the website https://www.chicago-gaming.com/ under Support - Help Desk and see if they know.

And it doesn't have anything to do with your problem.

#367 4 years ago

Guessing that fuse has something to do with it?

Also thanks for helping me out Lloyd and pinballreno.

#368 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Looks like one is out.

F103 20mm 4 amp slow blow ( or time delay ). 250 Volt

#369 4 years ago

Thanks again Lloyd.

#370 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Guessing that fuse has something to do with it?

None of your 50V High Power Solenoids are working. That is what that fuse covers.

#371 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Thanks again Lloyd.

My pleasure.

#372 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

F103 20mm 4 amp slow blow ( or time delay ).

Does voltage matter? Want to order some fuses online and make sure I get the right ones.

#373 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Does voltage matter? Want to order some fuses online and make sure I get the right ones.

Yes
Get fuses exactly the same as the game requires.

#374 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Yes. I edited my post. It's 250 volt.

#375 4 years ago

Thanks again guys. Pulled the manual to confirm voltages and should have a few by tomorrow. Going to reach out to CGC about the wire. Need to get my serial number to put in a ticket.

#376 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

I apologize for my reaction in advance to anyone that may have been offended by it. I have been personally effected by this issue, and felt like our diagnosis was ignored. All along it had zero to do with the flipper coils, which they harped on for the LONGEST time.
Just understand my frustration, and i apologize again for my over reaction.

Been looking at these reading threads. This is what I was talking
About, not even getting into clear coat issues

7C5A9334-07F3-4354-8005-5C9BA311F392 (resized).jpeg7C5A9334-07F3-4354-8005-5C9BA311F392 (resized).jpeg
#377 4 years ago

So I heard back from CGC on the ground wire issue with my cab. I'll post the response and pictures they sent me in case anyone else has the issue.

There are two places where you may attach the loose green wire that you found in the bottom of the cabinet. I have attached photos of both of them. One is on the lower left of the Playfield PCB (with the playfield raised), just right of the blue Ethernet connector, the other is on the lower right of the Playfield PCB, just above connector J12.

Ground_Lug_lower_right (resized).jpgGround_Lug_lower_right (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpg
#378 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

So I heard back from CGC on the ground wire issue with my cab. I'll post the response and pictures they sent me in case anyone else has the issue.
There are two places where you may attach the loose green wire that you found in the bottom of the cabinet. I have attached photos of both of them. One is on the lower left of the Playfield PCB (with the playfield raised), just right of the blue Ethernet connector, the other is on the lower right of the Playfield PCB, just above connector J12.[quoted image][quoted image]

I would attach it to the place in the first picture.

I think mine is there.

#379 4 years ago

I would attach it to the place in the first picture.
I think mine is there.

Thanks I’ll give that a shot.

Got the fuse swapped out and the ground wire reconnected. Back in business. Thanks again guys.

#380 4 years ago

I received my new SE almost 3 weeks ago and it hasn't worked since I got it. The DMD would be blank with a little blue pixel on the top right. I was able to get it to work a couple of times. I called CGC and they told me to try a few things with the plugs, but it still didn't work. I noticed a rattle inside the metal box on the backside of the dmd. When I took it apart, I noticed one of the boards wasn't screwed in and laying across the other board probably shorting out. CGC agreed it was probably the problem and now sending me a new dmd. I ask for them to rush deliver and they said they couldn't. It finally shipped out 5 days (weekend included) after they said they would ship it out. I'm pretty disappointed. My machine is on location and out of service for basically 3 weeks. I feel like I lost a good chunk change and excitement for a new machine. It also arrived super dusty and the trough plunger grommet was melted to the plunger. So it probably took some heat in the back of a shipping truck.

I've heard some good comments from other people who bought nib, just my bad luck.

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I received my new SE almost 3 weeks ago and it hasn't worked since I got it. The DMD would be blank with a little blue pixel on the top right. I was able to get it to work a couple of times. I called CGC and they told me to try a few things with the plugs, but it still didn't work. I noticed a rattle inside the metal box on the backside of the dmd. When I took it apart, I noticed one of the boards wasn't screwed in and laying across the other board probably shorting out. CGC agreed it was probably the problem and now sending me a new dmd. I ask for them to rush deliver and they said they couldn't. It finally shipped out 5 days (weekend included) after they said they would ship it out. I'm pretty disappointed. My machine is on location and out of service for basically 3 weeks. I feel like I lost a good chunk change and excitement for a new machine. It also arrived super dusty and the trough plunger grommet was melted to the plunger. So it probably took some heat in the back of a shipping truck.
I've heard some good comments from other people who bought nib, just my bad luck.

Did you get it direct or through a distributor?

#382 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you get it direct or through a distributor?

I don't want to put their name out there, but a distributor. I think they might have had the machine sitting around their shop for awhile.

#383 4 years ago

I think where the previous poster was going, was that when things go wrong it's not a bad idea to involve your distributor. Your distributor might have ideas, solutions or maybe a little extra pull when things don't go well.

Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I don't want to put their name out there, but a distributor. I think they might have had the machine sitting around their shop for awhile.

#384 4 years ago

Maybe, but I've always gone straight to the manufacturer. I feel they are more knowledgeable diagnosing problems and issues and distributers are just guessing. I haven't tried tho.

#385 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

No, I was just saying that you might have been able to get the replacement part faster or the repair made quicker if you had gone through the distributor you bought it from, especially if it was a good one. Direct isn't always the best/fastest way to get pinball issues handled. That, plus, the distributor needs to be made aware of problems with the machines he's buying to resell.

#386 4 years ago

AFMr is starting to turn into a real PITA... In terms of the ball flying off the right ramp, I have my flippers down to -4, it doesn't fly off the ramp at -5. However, at -5, the game plays bad, the flippers are too weak. From the video I see nothing that would cause the ball to go airborne. Here is the video, maybe one of you guys will see something I don't:

Then, the left popper stopped popping balls onto the wireworm. It was firing, but nothing. I found the bend fix, I spent some time bending the VUK and got it to work for a game or two then back to not firing. Long story short, after some messing around in the area, the optos on the VUK lost functionality. I did make sure they were connected to the board and re-seated the connection. I'm going to measure for 12V on the transceiver and look through a camera, and try and find a incadescent flashlight for the receiver, I just hope it's not a board issue. Optos this new shouldn't go bad.

Anyone have trouble with those optos? Anything I need to know before I get started down that path?

#387 4 years ago

It appears the problem is the board. I unplugged the opto connector from he right popper, plugged the optos in from the left popper and it registered fine. Also, there appears to be no power at the transceiver.

Quoted from jalpert:

Then, the left popper stopped popping balls onto the wireworm. It was firing, but nothing. I found the bend fix, I spent some time bending the VUK and got it to work for a game or two then back to not firing. Long story short, after some messing around in the area, the optos on the VUK lost functionality. I did make sure they were connected to the board and re-seated the connection. I'm going to measure for 12V on the transceiver and look through a camera, and try and find a incadescent flashlight for the receiver, I just hope it's not a board issue. Optos this new shouldn't go bad.
Anyone have trouble with those optos? Anything I need to know before I get started down that path?

#388 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

AFMr is starting to turn into a real PITA... In terms of the ball flying off the right ramp, I have my flippers down to -4, it doesn't fly off the ramp at -5. However, at -5, the game plays bad, the flippers are too weak. From the video I see nothing that would cause the ball to go airborne. Here is the video, maybe one of you guys will see something I don't:

The problem is with the wireform just above the green "AN" martian. It's almost exactly where the black wire is coming out of the plastic (on the opposite side). It's hard to tell from the angle (since it's being shot with the top wireform blocking it), but it appears the second wireform down on the left side is malformed or mis-welded and is launching the ball to the wall on the opposite side, where it goes high and never recovers. I have a super-slo-mo (5% the speed you recorded slow) where you can clearly see where it goes wrong. If you PM me your email, I'll send it to you.

#389 4 years ago

Thanks!

I got the popper figured out too. What fixed it was swapping in new optos. I can't tell you why it worked, I proved it shouldn't work, but I was just annoyed enough and the mech was already out of the game so it was super easy to try it.

The game is working again.... Minus that right wireform.

Quoted from PinMonk:

The problem is with the wireform just above the green "AN" martian. It's almost exactly where the black wire is coming out of the plastic (on the opposite side). It's hard to tell from the angle (since it's being shot with the top wireform blocking it), but it appears the second wireform down on the left side is malformed or mis-welded and is launching the ball to the wall on the opposite side, where it goes high and never recovers. I have a super-slo-mo (5% the speed you recorded slow) where you can clearly see where it goes wrong. If you PM me your email, I'll send it to you.

#390 4 years ago

My wire form does something similar to yours, except the ball goes straight to the out drain and it happens on both left and right wire forms.

#391 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

My wire form does something similar to yours, except the ball goes straight to the out drain and it happens on both left and right wire forms.

Slo-mo recording is the best diagnostic for these issues.

#392 4 years ago

Sounds like some people are lowering the flipper strength?

#393 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Sounds like some people are lowering the flipper strength?

That only works so far. Dropping 1 or 2 ticks is normal, beyond that, you have another problem. You don't want the machine to play like crap just because you can't keep the ball on the wireforms with normal power.

#394 4 years ago

Were some AFMr playfields known to have poor insert lettering on the large orange inserts? Or are they all like that? It's not easy to read when the insert is lit.

Rob

#395 4 years ago

My ball is still flying off at -5. I’m not going to -6 or -7. I have great slo-mo video of where the problem is thanks to vireland but I don’t see any issues with the wireform. I’m not sure how to fix this.

#396 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

My ball is still flying off at -5. I’m not going to -6 or -7. I have great slo-mo video of where the problem is thanks to vireland but I don’t see any issues with the wireform. I’m not sure how to fix this.

I used to have a similar problem on my Williams Indiana Jones. Other IJ owners also had pinballs flying off the left wireform and hitting the biplane. The ultimate fix was to bend the wireform so that it cradles the ball better. Try pulling/lifting the outer wire higher up so the ball will not derail as easily. It takes a fair amount of finger strength, but you may find that only a small adjustment will cure the problem. Hope that this helps you and others.

#397 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I'd try raising your wire form a bit and put a washer or spacer under your wire form, above the sling shot.

#398 4 years ago

This was one of the first things I tried.

Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I'd try raising your wire form a bit and put a washer or spacer under your wire form, above the sling shot.

I went down this road a little bit already, but was unable to affect it. Something has to change though, I think I'll try harder.

Quoted from freegame450:

I used to have a similar problem on my Williams Indiana Jones. Other IJ owners also had pinballs flying off the left wireform and hitting the biplane. The ultimate fix was to bend the wireform so that it cradles the ball better. Try pulling/lifting the outer wire higher up so the ball will not derail as easily. It takes a fair amount of finger strength, but you may find that only a small adjustment will cure the problem. Hope that this helps you and others.

#399 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

This was one of the first things I tried.

I went down this road a little bit already, but was unable to affect it. Something has to change though, I think I'll try harder.

I added a washer under the wireform foot and warped it a bit, in 2 places, to give it some NASCAR style banking.

Works perfectly now.

Its amazing what 2 crescent wrenches and a rag can do.

All of my games have needed a tweak here and there to keep the ball on track.

Sometimes grinding off a little steel if there is a bump.

#400 4 years ago

I'm not apposed to a little bending, I just know how hard these things are to bend. And, while I'm pretty sure I know where to bend, if I don't find the right spot, I'm probably going to ruin it so...

I added a washer under the wireform foot and warped it a bit, in 2 places, to give it some NASCAR style banking.

Works perfectly now.

Its amazing what 2 crescent wrenches and a rag can do.

All of my games have needed a tweak here and there to keep the ball on track.

Sometimes grinding off a little steel if there is a bump.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 545 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-technical-thread/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.