pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 PinGuy's links to unboxing and SOL potential issue. Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #5 SOL protector issue Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #73 LED info Posted by stpcore (6 years ago)

Post #145 Cliffy install info Posted by evh347 (6 years ago)

Post #149 Firmware 1.0.0 Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #189 info on using AFM cliffys Posted by GorillaBiscuits (6 years ago)

Post #357 Topper connector issue Posted by LTG (6 years ago)

Post #366 Image of Cliffy addition to scoop. Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Post #368 Cliffy install info Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ufopinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8392 4 years ago
Quoted from TheMickster:

Has anyone besides me, ever asked Chicago Gaming if the smaller LED lighted saucers are available as a kit for the SE and the CE versions?
They did not respond, and I have not seen anywhere for this option, even an aftermarket like Bill Ung offered for the original design many years ago..

Hi all, I have maintained a small waiting list of (very patient!) folks interested in a mini-saucer LED kit for their AFMr. Today I posted an update, and it's on my website: www.ufopinball.com.

My apologies for having put this aside for so long. Life has been super busy, and some side projects took more time than I expected.

Note that this is mainly a work-in-progress, and I am looking for feedback from interested parties, so I hope this doesn't run afoul of forum rules. Nothing is for sale at this time.

Anyway, please check it out, and let me know what you think?

Thanks all,
Bill Ung

#8394 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Looks pretty awesome! Looking forward to the kit/s for the CE remake. Any timeline on the availability?

Probably best to just read the webpage, but the hope is to be ready in 2020 ... however that may depend on how well we do at COVID-19 containment.

1 year later
#9445 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Are there any mini saucer upgrades with leds for the SE model?

Hi all ... I made the mini-saucer LED Kit for the original AFM, and have been s-l-o-w-l-y working on the AFMr edition. My apologies (as always) for the delay, but I've actually made a lot of progress in the last ~2 months. I just don't get out here to Pinside very often.

Basically, we're in pre-production on the AFMr edition of the AFM kits that I have offered over the years. If you're unfamiliar, my kit adds LEDs to the six mini-saucers on the playfield. They're single-color, not dual-color like AFMr. They also display various LED patterns in a more independent fashion than AFMr, which has a more tight integration with the AFMr light-show patterns. This also includes things like the Hallway LEDs under the mothership in the attack hallway, as well as other features (see the video in the link below). There are different price points depending on which features you are interested in.

For more information, check out the AFMr status page: http://www.ufopinball.com/AFMr-Kit/about.htm

I'll try to be more of a presence out here to answer questions.

Best wishes,
Bill Ung (UFO Pinball)

#9447 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Will there be a just the hallway mod available for LE owners who have everything else already?
I really like the hallway lights and would like to have them.

Yes, you can order the Plus or Full kits without the mini-saucer component. Details and pricing is in the same link: http://www.ufopinball.com/AFMr-Kit/about.htm

There’s also a video at the top that shows what the various features are. It’s the AFM edition of the video, but the features are the same.

#9459 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry, but I'm a little unclear on things (I've watched the video and read your website). I'm an LE owner, but apparently I've not paid attention to how the pin behaves in some circumstances.
So, you are saying that the Full LE Kit comes with the following:
- [1] Expansion Board
- [2] Hallway LEDs
- [3] OEM Mini saucer blackout during strobe multiball (I didn't realize they didn't already)
- [4] Super Jets animation (I assume this coincides with the super jets insert activation)? Also, I have EVO LED pops from Pinball Life, so how will these be effected? Right now I have them set to where the outer ring is always on and the inner ring illuminates upon vibration. I assume the outer rings would pulsate in the patter you show and the inners may or may not fire depending on timing?
- [5] Backglass GI controls (again, didn't realize this didn't go dark during SM, but does this also have added backglass animations in LE?
- [6] What is the AFMr Power Supply?
Depending upon responses, I'm highly interested in AFMr LE Kit (most likely the Full version).

I added numbers to help answer your questions.

Questions 1, 2 and 3: YES

Question 4: Yes ... how that works on AFM is when you reach Super Jets, the orange insert in the middle of the jets starts flashing. My mod makes the individual jets GI lamps display a "chase" pattern. During SJ, then the orange insert flashes brightly whenever a jet bumper is hit. I'm not sure if AFMr is any different, but so far it looks like they're the same?

Regarding EVO LED pops, I have not tried them at all, and I don't know how they affect anything. On the hardware end, I just add a FET to control DC voltage. So during the SJ "chase" mode, it sounds like the EVO units will lose power intermittently during the chase effect. I'm not sure how that will look.

Question 5: On AFM, there are three GI strands in the backglass (brown, green and purple). Of those three, only brown is controlled by the CPU, both green and purple are hardwired as "always on". As I understand it, AFMr is wired the same way. My board (in both cases) adds controlling hardware to be able to switch on/off the green and purple GI strands. Any additional animations on AFM consist of six flasher bulbs. I'm not sure if AFMr does this any differently, my kits do not interface with those flashers.

Question 6: It seems AFMr primarily runs on +12v power. The Power Supply Unit (PSU) did not have any +5v outputs that I could find. While there is +5v power in some places in the game, I have no idea what the available amperage rating is, or if it's always available. It seemed far more reliable to include my own PSU to provide +5v power for my kits.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Bill

#9464 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I just want the hallway mod.
I dont think i need anything else.
The original bill ung AFM mods are thru the roof cool!
Id love to have a tiny piece on my game.

Send me

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thanks for the feedback, and I would like to respond . . .
#3 In Strobe Multiball by default all of the mini saucers go off then come on for the intro then go off again, then all seem to fire when a ball is in the pops. They go off again, and then certain ones blink as you shoot nearby lanes. Also, the one above the pops flashes bright and rapid when the ball is captured/ejected from the SOL. This effect is actually quite nice, and I would not want to lose it. In other words, I wouldn't want your board to do anything with the mini saucers during SMB. Is this possible? Actually, it might even be a deal killer for me if you took this away as it is a really nice effect.
#4 This action will work just fine and actually look great with the EVO pops since the large outer ring will be what "chases".
#5 I don't really understand how you would intercept/control the backbox lighting (not saying you can't/won't, just saying I don't have the knowledge to make it happen). All of the wires run through a single connector and there are "GI" strips as well as flasher boards in the lightbox (I've attached pics).
#6 Given I've already fried the power board overloading it with a non-OEM 12V bulb in the coin reject, I think your mod having it's own power supply is not only a positive, but a must. How does it connect?

Question 3: I see you have saucer LEDs, so you're an LE owner? If you buy the LE edition, there are no mini-saucer LEDs included since they're not needed. I also don't touch the flashers, so that's pretty much an entire mini-saucer. If I'm misunderstanding the question/concern, please let me know.

Question 4: I'll look forward to seeing a video of it all hooked up!

Question 5: My board will intercept the 3-pin (2-wire) connectors on the lightbox itself. I considered doing the all-in-one connector in the backbox, but that one is pretty big and I still have to preserve all the other signals when I splice my way in. The effect will control the green and the purple LED strips. There will be more backglass "flicker" when the Mothership sustains damage and/or is destroyed.

Question 6: There's an open 4-pin connection in the backbox which provides +12v and GND. There seems to be some variation on open ports, depending on if you have a topper, so there may be a bit more research to do for LE/topper customers. We'll cross that bridge when we get there, but it should be fully doable.

Hope this answers all your questions, let me know if I missed something...

Bill

#9465 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I think he's going to learn real fast what a PITA some of us AFMr owners can be.

With a name like "Mr_Tantrum", how can you go wrong?

#9472 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry for all of the back and forth, but I do appreciate the detailed responses.
#3 - So you are saying that for the LE version, you will not modify the behavior whatsoever of the mini-saucer LEDs in any mode, including SMB? I guess it is confusing because you mention mini-saucer blackout in the description, but you are referring to only your mini-saucer LED mod and not the OEM mini-saucer LEDs, corrrect?
#4 - A little presumptive on your part, but I'm not saying you're wrong.
#5 - Thanks for sharing details - sounds really cool.
#6 - As mentioned, I own a LE and am happy to post photos or answer any questions you may have.
New #7 - So for the LE kits, the difference is the Full has backglass GI control and Super Jets animation, correct?
Now the big question, what's a realistic time frame for your AFMr kits to become a reality (especially the LE versions since that's what effects me, not that I'm selfish or anything)?

Okay, I see where the confusion is coming in. Yes, the "blackout" only refers to mini-saucers that I provide. It wasn't a feature on the original kit, mainly because it wasn't a feature I was thinking of at the time. Many years later, I decided to add the feature, but if I was going to do that, what else could I possibly add? The Super Jets animation, backglass animation, and "Hallway" LEDs were part of the new feature package. That said:

#3 - The LE version of my mods do not modify the AFMr LE mini-saucer LEDs in any way.
#4 - Don't hold out on me!
#5 & 6 - (thumbs_up.gif)
#7 - Yes, that's correct.
#8 - Currently, we're in pre-production. My goal is to have some product in the latter half of summer. This project has taken *years* longer than I had planned, so ... ummm, wish me luck? In case it matters, the full kit is 97% ready, design-wise. There are still some software tweaks, but the hardware part is effectively complete.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

5,400 (OBO)
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ufopinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club?tu=ufopinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.