IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0408 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 PinGuy's links to unboxing and SOL potential issue. Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #5 SOL protector issue Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #73 LED info Posted by stpcore (6 years ago)

Post #145 Cliffy install info Posted by evh347 (6 years ago)

Post #149 Firmware 1.0.0 Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #189 info on using AFM cliffys Posted by GorillaBiscuits (6 years ago)

Post #357 Topper connector issue Posted by LTG (6 years ago)

Post #366 Image of Cliffy addition to scoop. Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Post #368 Cliffy install info Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdtminstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1156 6 years ago

Hi everyone.

Just joined the "club." Awaiting on delivery. Honestly more excited about this than anything I have ever bought, much less a pin.

#1160 6 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

Do you want to to put “Attack From Mars” on that Dracula spot?... I can help you with that just have to drive a couple of hours to St.Louis from Ontario, but I’ll be glad to...

Ha. I'll keep you in mind my friend. I would trade my wife before Dracula though. BSD is probably my favorite pre-AFM. An absolute blast to play and I still love the "WINDS!" call out for mist multi ball.

#1213 6 years ago

My SE showed today! Bah! I'm like a fat kid at Halloween! Hoping everything goes smoothly. Waiting on a buddy to show to help me wrangle it to the "man-child" cave. (Wife coined it)

IMG_20171120_130140 (resized).jpgIMG_20171120_130140 (resized).jpg

#1217 6 years ago

I'm blown away by the new SE. It is in a different class of anything I have owned. The display, the sound and the customization is mind blowing.

However, there are two issues I wanted to ask some of you about.

1.) There is a ball launch issue. About half the time, or slightly less, the ball, when launched, bounces around at the end of the drop before making the turn into the jet bumpers. This is pretty annoying, as the ball just simply drains down the right orbit and never gives an opportunity for the jet bumper bonus much less the super skill shot when it happens. Anyone have any ideas?

2.) I am getting a LOT of airballs. Like, a LOT. I have the flippers running at -3 and my rake is set to 6.7.

Other than these two knocks, the game is a wonder to behold. Even my wife was impressed, and that is a minor miracle. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

#1232 6 years ago

So I found the solution for my problem about failed launches. I hope this isn't prior knowledge that I am repeating but after getting my game that was plagued with the problem almost half the time I started a ball, my searches were pretty skimpy. I hope this may help someone in here who receives their game and runs into the same problem. This is a video link that shows my original issue. Keep in mind I ramble on throwing out ideas and thoughts on why its doing it. However, if you watch the first minute, you will see my first two launches fail and get the gist of what is going on.

I created a support ticket through the CGC website and was quickly contacted. After watching the video the tech insisted that the ball was hitting the wireform and thought it was a combination of a misaligned auto launch kicker and a wireform/habitrail that sat too low. I skeptically adjusted the kicker, which helped some and then shimmed the connector for the habitrail ever so slightly higher. I have since played 25 games without one failed launch.

Below shows a photo of the screw that can be shimmed. I used a couple of #8 washers but a nylon spacer in black or white would probably look the best. I am so thankful it was such a simple fix. I'm loving the game and am very thankful for the help offered.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#1239 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Same issue on my game that got delivered yesterday. So you shimmed the wire form up, and you also did something to the auto plunger? (I already cranked mine up to max)

Yes. The tech recommended shimming the kicker, but instead, I just gently adjusted the frame that it sits in. If you pull the playfield up and prop the rails in the locked position on the front of the cabinet, you can do either. He advised that the kicker will look like it is aligned properly, but when the solenoid fires, the armature/kick arm has a tendency to fire lower on the ball, so I ever so slightly just nudged the metal mount that it sits on up. I can't stress enough how minor it is. You are talking millimeters. Then, yes, just take the screw off the wire form that is mounted next to the saucer and just add a shim. A nut and a washer. Three washers, a nylon spacer, whatever you have and suits you. Then, put the playfield down and get on your knees and watch the ball fire. If it looks like it is staying low, you will have gotten the same result I did. You can actually just take the screw out and fire a dozen or so balls before shimming. This will let you know if it is the problem without actually adding the shim if it is hitting elsewhere.

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless your machine is actually having issues. Maybe the wireforms were bent ever so slightly on a few of these machines, or maybe the kicker frames were slightly low or out of spec. The "Auto Plunge" kicker setting should be good on default after doing this. Mine is.

#1241 6 years ago
Quoted from djh00000:

Just got mine this morning. Are they suppose to come with manuals?

Yes. Should be in a plastic bag taped to the top of the machine inside the box along with the warranty registration.

#1242 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Having the same issue, so thanks for your write up. Will try that.

Let us know the results. Curious if it is the same issue fix.

1 week later
#1409 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Just got my AFMrLE this afternoon.
Love the look of it, not really enjoying the way it plays, the way I have it set-up.
It will take some getting used to, since it's different from all the previous Sterns that I've had but I expect there's much more to it than that, and I could use some opinions...
I was watching one of Bowen's PAPA videos, and would love to get my new machine playing like that one.
» YouTube video
Not sure if it's just a matter of logging about 400 hundred games onto this one, just to wear it in a little? The ball definitely blazes around the playfield at a breakneck speed. (I've lowered my flipper strength to -7)
I've also maxed the plunger strength. While it does often make it around the orbit for a super-skill shot now, (it rarely made it around at stock setting) it's not aligned well when exiting the shooter lane, and rattles around big time before making its way to the jet bumper area. Something there probably needs some adjusting. Not sure where to start.
I also noticed the left orbit is equally tough to make. It's not at all smooth, and needs some help as well.
Could be that the playfield isnt even well levelled to be honest. I used a torpedo level, and then an Ipad clinometer for accuracy -I had to lengthen the front legs over half their max height to hit 6.5%, (which is really odd compared to all other games I have owned, since usually I would increase the back legs only a little, to get a pin to 6.5%) and even then, the levelling bubble is way at the bottom, which I would expect indicates that the game is shallow, and should be much steeper.
So, hoping that some of you who may have experienced the same initial feel can share what you've tweaked to improve the flow on this game?
Thanks for any help you can provide!
(If any of you could take a photo of your level bubble, and tell me what flipper strength you're using, that might be a great place for me to get started)

Regarding the rattling, read post #1232 in this thread. I had the same issue with failed launches, and it is now fixed.

This game seems more sensitive to setup than most to be perfectly honest. When you hit that sweet spot though, man it is wonderful. I finally did that, but it took a lot of fiddling with things. Each game is different and you will have to just play around. I tried to get mine to play as close to the original as possible. Airballs were pretty prevalent in the original, just as an FYI. My flipper strength is set at 19 and those green targets still get it up as well as the saucer occasionally. I feel it resembles the original at 19, at least on mine, the most, but YMMV. Slings are set to max. Without it, the slings hardly ever get the <M><R><T><I><N> targets which was a trademark of the original that I had a lot of time with. My right ball guide needed a little tweak (high tech: a careful butter knife pry) to keep the right orbit balls off the right sling. I finally settled on dead nuts 6.5 deg right above the flippers in line with the infamous bubble.

Good luck with the tweaking. Don't get frustrated. It is there, you just have to "unlock" it. You will know when you do.

#1428 6 years ago

I want mirror blades for mine so bad but as my luck goes, I got one that has a tight cab/playfield. So disappointing. It would look incredible I bet.

1 week later
#1676 6 years ago

I would like to add my .02 here.

I purchased both a MMr and a AfMr after playing a couple of friends machines and being thoroughly impressed. In my opinion, pinball machines are a wonder of modern manufacturing. Think about it, you have hundreds of components working in concert to offer entertainment in the form of a relatively heavy metal sphere being projected at insane speeds around an organic playfield bashing into parts.

The few minor issues I have had have all been addressed quickly and have only gave me more confidence to continue to purchase whatever CGC comes up with. Lloyd in particular, who responded to my support tickets, has been incredible. On my MMr I had a faulty armature/plunger on one of my trolls that was binding in the sleeve. It was quickly diagnosed and I received a new one from CGC in 2 days. It may seem intimidating, but if you can use a screwdriver, you can repair 75% of things that go wrong.

There are plenty of manufacturers out there. All make decent products. Whether you purchase a 5k Stern Pro or a 12K Jersey Jack, things happen. What separates CGC from everyone else is how they respond to issues... and they all have occasional issues. This hobby requires some ability to tinker. From dialing in a game to get it how YOU want to play it to getting comfortable with taking things apart and finding a solution and applying it, it can actually be an enjoyable part of the hobby as it is rewarding, and a great opportunity to learn. I for one, never had much confidence soldering, but because of my love for older games in my collection, I have amazed myself how quickly I have learned.

Buy with confidence. If, for example, you do get a mildly bent out of shape wire form, reach out. A lot of us are eager to help.

1 year later
#6478 5 years ago

So I am not a noob, but I am stumped on where to connect this damn topper, and it doesn't sound like I am the first.

@jimmyhonda a while back was trying to figure out how to connect an aftermarket topper to his AFM SE. I am in a similar pickle. Amazing how there is not even the simplest of documentation included. I do have the collective expertise of all of you though, so...

There is a molex connector coming straight off the topper like his showed, but included in my packaging was a z type connector/adaptor. Where does that plug into, any idea anyone?

IMG_20190303_083037 (resized).jpgIMG_20190303_083037 (resized).jpgIMG_20190303_083023 (resized).jpgIMG_20190303_083023 (resized).jpgIMG_20190303_083020 (resized).jpgIMG_20190303_083020 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Lonsdale, MN
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
15,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 210.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdtminstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club?tu=sdtminstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.