pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 PinGuy's links to unboxing and SOL potential issue. Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #5 SOL protector issue Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #73 LED info Posted by stpcore (6 years ago)

Post #145 Cliffy install info Posted by evh347 (6 years ago)

Post #149 Firmware 1.0.0 Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #189 info on using AFM cliffys Posted by GorillaBiscuits (6 years ago)

Post #357 Topper connector issue Posted by LTG (6 years ago)

Post #366 Image of Cliffy addition to scoop. Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Post #368 Cliffy install info Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robbyirl5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8618 3 years ago

Hi all, loving this game! I think I may have gotten the last NIB example last week (SE version).

Was going through my tests and found one that doesn't work, Saucer Dome Flasher. My Saucer Dome Flasher is stuck on, pretty much from when time I turn the power on until I turn it off (no flashing). Everything else works great. This of course doesn't effect gameplay, and I did put in a service ticket with Chicago Gaming. Thought I'd throw it out to see if anybody has seen this problem. Don't think it used to do this, as I have pictures (from recording high scores) with the light off.

Thank you

#8620 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Most likely an issue on the board inside the saucer.
I kicked your ticket up to CGC to look into it.
LTG : )

Thank you!

1 week later
#8652 3 years ago

I actually just set my high score and got grand champion after owning this game for a week. Then it was clear that the game wanted me to go away. I hit so many rubber posts in a row for so long (wish there was a combo for that!) that the ball finder came on while I was actively playing the ball. no chance I could do that again if I tried. Ugh and lol and that’s when it’s time for me to turn off!

1 week later
#8682 3 years ago

I played AFM out in the wild, CP Pinball in Roxanna, IL, $15 by reservation for 5 hours and best collection I’ve ever seen, all pristine. Would highly recommend if you’re in the area. It was really sensory overload for me.

Anyway, the AFM (and many of the machines here) seemed to have the flippers angled up a bit more than I’m used to, makes for an easier cradle and on AFM, I think I had 3 saucers down in like 2 minutes, made that center shot way easier. Felt like I could hit it with the ball anywhere on the flipper, and just way easier to get control of the ball again. This game doesn’t seem to have any wide shot requirements (the Martian targets are most), so any downside to making this adjustment (other than re-learning the ramp shots of which I couldn’t hit any on this other machine)?

Here are my flippers, still how they came out of the box.

9D253DD0-8CCD-4039-983A-FEAA7E819FCF (resized).jpeg9D253DD0-8CCD-4039-983A-FEAA7E819FCF (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#8746 3 years ago

In my best game I lost a ball off the return (down the right side of playfield) from the ball lock (left of saucer, no lock so it made its way around). The ball came flying off the wires into the right out lane. Drain. New machine so flippers are pretty powerful, assuming I just live with this.

Also on my CGC games (MM and AFM), seem to get a lot of spin on the bulls, creating some weird behavior (ball running up and off a cradled flipper, etc) Usually after a lot of fast action. Don’t see this as much on Sterns or JJP. Maybe just the flipper rubber they come with?

1 month later
#8941 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Question about pinstadiums
Do They use alligator clips or is there an adapter/connector to plug in?
How are they attached to the cabinet? I want these to be fully reversible and don’t want sticky tape to leave marks or pull paint off the inside of the cabinet
Thanks !

I believe it uses wire taps to go into the backside of a few moles connectors (a pair for GI, the other for flasher).

2 weeks later
#9005 3 years ago

Hi all, anybody know of CGC sells the playfield protector or “cliffy” for the remake drain hole? I normally get all Cliffy’s but apparently this is unique to the remake. My Medieval Madness Royale sitting right next to it has the metal piece I need. My playfield is pretty hammered at the drain hole was really surprised to see that, got the game in March, HUO. Thanks

#9008 3 years ago

I ordered one, and when it came, it was small (same as a Stern which I think has a smaller drain hole). Would have covered about 60% of the drain hole (from my recollection). I ended up using it on my AIQ, so no issue. Maybe I need to look at it again.

If you compare the link the protector that came with my MMr Royal, they are different (don't need the wrap around, but it's just much bigger on the front, covering the entirety.

Is this sort of drain hole wear common on the CGC remakes?

image1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpeg
#9013 3 years ago
Quoted from MGM2:

I have drain hole wear on my remakes. I bought the MB drain hole protector from PPS- it fits on AFMR and MMR.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-MLS-DRANGRD

That's exactly it, thank you, ordered. Interesting that their cheapest shipping method for a $18 part that could fit in an envelope is $16 through Fed Ex Ground. Ugh.

#9044 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Question on mods:
1. Cliffy's or playfield protector? Or, both?
2. Eat at Eddy's, must mod?
3. Scoop light mod. Any particular vendor?
4. Anyone do Pinstadium? Over kill?
5. If I do Cliffy's, do I still need mylar at key spots?
6. Any other key mods you recommend?
7. External sub help? I haver Pinnovators 4 sub mixer, so I can easily connect up if it helps.
Thanks. I'm so glad to finally get an AFM. Now, I understand why it's a classic shooter.

If I recall, I got PinStadiums as my AFMrSE’s bright playfield LED’s we’re contrasting too much with my fairly crappy lighting I have around my machines. PimStadiums helped reduce that contrast. I have them in all 9 of my machines, I really think they are game-changers for my play.

1 month later
#9105 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Also have a question on my new to me remake. The flippers on both sides occasionally stick, especially on long games and it takes a few bashes to get them to drop back down. It costs balls of course and is driving me nuts.
I reseated the cables yesterday, and put a bit more tension on the spring blade bits, but it's still happening. Is this a known problem?
If so, what is the fix? The buttons have clipped wire fittings hanging out of them that look like they could have been for lighted buttons, but it doesn't seem as if the buttons themselves are sticking.

Might need a flipper rebuild, coil stop, sleeve, plunger/crank. The plunger might mushroom at the end and hang up.

#9115 3 years ago

Any idea why my start button stops flashing during attract mode after the machine has been on for awhile? I’ve got a MMr right next to it and a bunch of WPC machines, and it’s the only one. Wondering if it’s part of the power save? Trivial problem, or not even a problem, just curious.

2 weeks later
#9184 3 years ago

So while I wait for a new PF PCB (warranty item) thought I might throw out my issue to see if anybody has any thoughts.

My saucer flasher (3 LED’s through the green dome) is on full time, from the minute I flip the power switch to the minute I turn it off. I’ve changed out 3 saucer boards (still does it) and I’ve run a continuity test all from the saucer board (J1 pinall the way through to PF PCB (J14) and then all the way to the little Q43 chip that controls the flasher (lower right leg).

What I did notice recently (as I’m waiting on several months now for a new board) was that when I test the flasher (in the settings), it actually does flicker just a hair (you have to look very carefully!), so it’s getting the signal. But it’s like the power is bleeding through full time. I’m a bit over my skis on the electrical side, but is it possible maybe a diode is bad allowing power through to this flasher lamp full time?

Haven’t posted this for a bit, anything I can do to test? I can solder, never soldered such small connections (maybe should have bought an original with bigger boards!)

Thanks!

2 weeks later
#9225 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I can't speak for your specific game, but the Titan rings are silicone, not rubber. I think the silicone is more durable than the original rubber, and seem slightly less bouncy and a bit more controllable.
Here is a link to a thread on the topic:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-competition-silicone-rings
There is also similar product called Super Bands made of urethane. These are less stretchy, and a bitch to install.

My observation is that Titans are the most grippy / bouncy rubbers out there, which adds a new element to slower games (widebodies or older WPC games), but would make a tight high power sling fast game like AFMr or a new Stern much harder to play or control the ball. I also think this adds a bunch of spin to the ball. Their post sleeves are the same way, uninstalling them on games with tight shots surrounded by posts, as it it nicks the post it rejects. That’s my experience.

All that said, when my AFMr came out of the box, the ball seemed to have a lot of English on it (I’d catch it on a flipper and it would race right off the end!), but as the new stock rubbers wore in, it went away.

I love Titans, my first choice on bands. I use the low-bounce flipper rubber in every machine. The bands and posts are just a little too bouncy for the fast games imho

#9232 3 years ago

Did surgery on my AFMrSE tonight. All was a success. Did a warranty playfield PCB swap as my saucer flasher was stuck on. Got the error on the screen (see pic), and after checking connections, had to swap out the big bios chip from my original board, and it works great now, solved the issue. Just an FYI if anybody has to do the same thing. Anybody know the technical reason for this? Does the particular chip have to pair with the main board? Just curious.

Thanks!

8A72B65F-3D1F-468B-8988-2797248FF01B (resized).jpeg8A72B65F-3D1F-468B-8988-2797248FF01B (resized).jpeg0BCF6F61-A51D-411E-808D-7B0B6244CC6F (resized).jpeg0BCF6F61-A51D-411E-808D-7B0B6244CC6F (resized).jpegA161D252-6EFA-476F-9D9E-84942E114F85 (resized).jpegA161D252-6EFA-476F-9D9E-84942E114F85 (resized).jpeg
#9239 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I've noticed my stroke of luck kicker is sending the ball SDTM about 10% of the time now. This never used to happen before. What adjustment do I need to make?

Last time I had an issue with a VUK sending the ball down the middle or the wrong way (my TZ slot machine), I lifted up my playfield and found that the underside mount of it was loose. Somehow the wood screws backed out or whoever shopped it didn’t finish. You might check that.

1 year later
#10071 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Yep, that’s not uncommon at all. I put Cliffys on both sides of my shooter lanes and mine are generally different lengths.

Concur

#10072 1 year ago

Back in the club again, SE last time, LE this time. Almost forgot how buttery this game shoots! I’m a better player since I owned the last one, ruled the universe for the first time and got 39b. Question, what’s the best scoring strategy after ruling the Im universe?

Also - note to self, CGC cabinets should be a 2-man job, they are heavy compared to a Stern. Taking it out of the back of my truck, almost lost it to the side, would have been ugly. Never again!

24943FFD-E1CA-423C-914E-5CE248842DDA (resized).jpeg24943FFD-E1CA-423C-914E-5CE248842DDA (resized).jpeg
#10078 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Very nice lineup you have there. Where's the Indy 500 pin?

Sitting pretty!

5FF01303-E29E-46FC-936B-8FD4F542D875 (resized).jpeg5FF01303-E29E-46FC-936B-8FD4F542D875 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 210.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robbyirl5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club?tu=robbyirl5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.