IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0408 (resized).JPG
IMG_0407 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 PinGuy's links to unboxing and SOL potential issue. Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #5 SOL protector issue Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #73 LED info Posted by stpcore (6 years ago)

Post #145 Cliffy install info Posted by evh347 (6 years ago)

Post #149 Firmware 1.0.0 Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #189 info on using AFM cliffys Posted by GorillaBiscuits (6 years ago)

Post #357 Topper connector issue Posted by LTG (6 years ago)

Post #366 Image of Cliffy addition to scoop. Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Post #368 Cliffy install info Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I created this forum to discuss anything and everything related to CGCs second release now that games are rolling out the door.

I had made several posts of items I've found in AFMR unboxing forum that I have linked below.

Unboxing pics/commentary
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-unboxings#post-3832111

Backglass LEDs and CGC custom menus
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-unboxings/page/2#post-3833419

SOL hole protector - POTENTIAL DAMAGE - make sure to look at this one
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-unboxings/page/3#post-3836364
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-unboxings/page/3#post-3837077

Additional links added added Sep 5, 2017:

Firmware updates:
http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm_update.php

Loose/Rattling playfield glass
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/12#post-3947245

Cosmetic cracks artwork on playfield plastics - open a ticket with CGC
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club#post-3854909

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

SOL hole protector - POTENTIAL DAMAGE - make sure to look at this one

UPDATE: I decided to open a ticket with CGC over the weekend for the SOL hole protector, if for no other reason as to make sure they are aware of the problem, and they called me this morning to discuss the issue. What I was told is that one of their engineers had already identified this as a potential problem when the first playfields were being assembled and they have already taken action to correct the issue. As for my machine, they are sending me a new hole protector that should be tall enough to provide the proper protection for this area.

If you find that you have a gap larger than 1/64" between the top of the protector and top of the playfield, you may want to consider opening a support ticket in order to receive a replacement.

#7 6 years ago

The altered production plan was to produce 100 SE machines while they were waiting on parts to finish the LE toppers. With the production estimate being 60 machines per week they had anticipated rolling out the LE's around two weeks after the first SE machines, so if they are on track with the production estimates, the first LE's should be going out the door next week.

#27 6 years ago

I saw one of the SE machines on location yesterday and it had visible clear coat chipping in the area I identified in my earlier post; that machine was just setup a week ago, which should be further incentive to correct the SoL hole protector as early as possible. I got my Mantis protector on Friday but I haven't installed it yet since I should be getting a new one from CGC and my test fitting on the edge of the playfield is indicating that I would have to shim it for it to be flush with the playfield.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from mjannusch:

I just noticed last night that there are hairline cracks in the coloration in the return lane covers. Anyone else seeing this?

Nope, this is not normal. I could be wrong, but it looks to me like there is some type of tint overlay on them...perhaps to color them?

IMG_2154 (resized).JPGIMG_2154 (resized).JPG
IMG_2155 (resized).JPGIMG_2155 (resized).JPG

EDITED:

upon closer inspection...
If I zoom in really close I can see the beginnings of tiny cracks forming, hope these don't become an issue
cracks (resized).jpgcracks (resized).jpg

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Sorry, reposting into this, the intended thread:
Small request: Does anyone have the AFMr carton & cabinet dimensions?

Rounded up to the nearest 1/4" ... After you pull the carton off the shipping pallet 30.5" x 31.25" x 56.5"

#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

UPDATE: I decided to open a ticket with CGC over the weekend for the SOL hole protector, if for no other reason as to make sure they are aware of the problem, and they called me this morning to discuss the issue. What I was told is that one of their engineers had already identified this as a potential problem when the first playfields were being assembled and they have already taken action to correct the issue. As for my machine, they are sending me a new hole protector that should be tall enough to provide the proper protection for this area.
If you find that you have a gap larger than 1/64" between the top of the protector and top of the playfield, you may want to consider opening a support ticket in order to receive a replacement.

Just wanted to follow up on this real quick...

I purchased a Cliffy and also received the replacement protector from CGC. I have to say CGC was very responsive on this and contacted me by phone after I opened the ticked, and again after they shipped the part to me to let me know its on the way. While I haven't installed either protector yet, I do know that they are different enough that a cliffy will not use the same screw locations and by performing a trial fitting on the edge of playfield, it looks as though the CGC hole protector will be a perfect fit, where the Cliffy is a hair higher than the top of the playfied, of course it should be simple to just install a shim underneath the screw tab to get it flush with the top of the playfield.

#114 6 years ago

Potential new issue with the machine, but before I go into the details I want to mention that this machine hasn't been played since Jun 24th when I first noticed the SoL hole issues, and it was set up mainly for testing only and has only been played for a handful of hours.

Today I noticed what appears to be a small crack in the artwork in the upper left corner of the cabinet, this is right where the joint is cut
to bond the cabinet; seems like the cabinet issues that Stern has been taking heat over lately isn't isolated to Stern.

IMG_2174 (resized).JPGIMG_2174 (resized).JPG

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

My MMR was delivered 2 weeks ago and looks just like that on both sides.

Interesting, I inspected my MMR arfer seeing this and it's still perfect on both sides.

#120 6 years ago

SoL Hole update:

I finally got around to installing the replacement hole protector CGC sent me and it looks like its going to prevent any further damage to the clear coat.

IMG_2209 (resized).JPGIMG_2209 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#149 6 years ago

AFMr Firmware update 1.0.0 can be found here:
http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm_update.php

#157 6 years ago

Updated from v1.0 Beta 4 to v1.0.0 last night. I set the Strobe LED to MAX brightness and I have to say its much better, maybe not quite up to the original Zenon Strobe but it's a great improvement.

v1.0.0 (resized).jpgv1.0.0 (resized).jpg
IMG_2232 (resized).JPGIMG_2232 (resized).JPG
IMG_2233 (resized).JPGIMG_2233 (resized).JPG

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

I also hope they announce MB or CC next.

I wouldn't mind seeing a ToM or TZ either

#210 6 years ago

I agree, those look like they were caused by screws from the bottom side and will become a large problem as the ball will wear away at the elevated portion of the playfield. Do open a ticket, if these are from screws I would consider this playfield to be damaged during assembly.

#211 6 years ago

My AFMr is Broken!!!!

I noticed last night that my right flipper seemed "spongy" balls would just die on it rather than bouncing off. I wonder if I should open a customer support ticket?

What's wrong with this picture?
IMG_2236 (resized).JPGIMG_2236 (resized).JPG

So I looked through my spare parts bins for flipper return springs and found ... none; I'm sure I have these lying around someplace, but I also know I wont find them until I buy more; since I couldn't find them, I just turned one of the springs loops into a new hook and reattached it to the crank.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Doug is the man.

He really is!

Talk about customer service, Doug had read my post about the broken flipper return spring and sent me a PM for my address to send a replacement. I'm truly speechless at this moment as this type of customer service is just unheard of anymore.

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You get the metal finish tri color LED show saucers on both models.
The LE gets you mirror side blades, better audio, speaker lights, topper, and double the warranty of the SE.

My SE mini saucers don't have any lights other than the standard flasher, but I do have speaker lights, and I believe the SE and LE both have the same audio components.

2 weeks later
#441 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

For you guys that have contacted CGC for replacement plastics on the slings, are the replacement ones they sent you issue free? I noticed mine has those as well, though not as bad as some that were posted here.

Mine have been slowly getting worse as well, I'm going to have to open a ticket on them.

I ran into my first failure today, Left popper GI out

IMG_2263 (resized).JPGIMG_2263 (resized).JPG

I'm just glad it wasn't the one under the right ramp! Turned out to be an easy fix, took off the pop bumper cover and found this ...

IMG_2265 (resized).JPGIMG_2265 (resized).JPG

#487 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Does the SE include the necessary topper controller?

It does not.

#513 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Would Total Annihilation be comparable to Royal Madness?

Yes, complete both ramps and both orbits 3 times to start it.

Quoted from Damien:

I got a 2 ball multi ball from the Martian Attack, but have no idea how it even started haha

It starts from the SoL hole when lit, it can be lit either by a SoL award or by hitting all the "MARTIAN" targets. You get the multiball by hitting all four martians. This is a good mode to activate TA multiball on.

Quoted from Damien:

And what starts Strobe? Seems I've only gotten it from SOL.

Strobe multiball comes from SoL only, and only once per game max.

#514 6 years ago

oh...if you manage to stack all 4 hurry ups from completing the three ramp/orbit shots you are awarded 1 Billion points in addition to starting Total Annihilation

#515 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I'd appreciate pictures of how its connected to the beagle board too?

There are both VGA and DVI outputs, it connects through what appears to be a HDMI to micro HDMI cable and DVI to HDMI adapter.

IMG_2077 (resized).JPGIMG_2077 (resized).JPG

#519 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Also, I'm certain I've had a couple games where I've stopped all 4 martians from hopping, and I did not get a second ball.

Perhaps the fourth one may have stopped from reaching the time limit to hit it; that should be the only way to stop them from hopping without getting a second ball in play.

#548 6 years ago

My flipper delay gets a little longer every year, but this effects every machine I play.

#562 6 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

The one exception is that there is a bit of rattle on the playfield glass. I'm going to try the electrical tape trick and see how that works.

I adjusted the lockdown bar on mine so that the beer seal would compress and keep the glass from rattling, it took care of the issue.

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

I have to admit, I'm not sure what a Beer Seal is. Would you please elaborate? I'd love to do what you did. It seems small words would be appropriate.

Sorry, if you flip over your lockdown bar you see a rubber seal on the bottom of it, this seal is historically called a beer seal as it's primary function was to keep spilled beer out of the machine.

Now if you look at the previous post by SuperPinball, you can see the 2 brass screws on the lockdown rail, these screws are there for adjusting the height of the lockdown bar in its locked position; I do not believe this was adjusted at all on my machine when it left the factory. Couple this with a glass channel that is very smooth and a little wide and you have a loose piece of glass, by tightening the lockdown bar the rubber seal will press against the glass and keep it from moving. Over time, as you remove and re-insert the glass, the edges of the glass will scrap the inside of the channel, this scraping will cause additional friction on the glass and keep it from wanting to slide out on its own; when I first got my machine, the glass would want to slide right out from its own weight, after being removed around 10 times, the glass now stays put when I remove the lockdown bar.

#584 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Could someone tell me where the serial number would be located for the SE? thanks

It should be on the MFG label located on the outside of the cabinet.

serial plate (resized).jpgserial plate (resized).jpg

#602 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidMP:

OK, so if someone finds a key in here I'll re-up my donation to pinside! (Ah heck, that's too safe a bet. I'll go do that anyway.)

I don't see a key, but the coin mech on the right is loose and the locking screw is missing.

#624 6 years ago

Ok, so I finally got around to aligning my flippers to remove the droop that was noticeable from the factory and ... WOW! what a huge difference this small adjustment made to the way the game plays, my first game after making the adjustment was 30B! Unfortunately, this also changed the timing needed to make consecutive rams and orbits needed to score the 5-Way Combo, and with three balls remaining, I was unable to complete this and it's needed to start RTU I may have just choked under pressure

If you have never adjusted a flipper before, all you have to do is loosen the 3/8" nut that secures the flipper paddle around 3/4 turn, align the flipper to be in a straight line with ball guide, and tighten it back up. You will want to make sure you retain the proper gap (vertical play) by feel or with the blue alignment tool; this tool is actually clear with blue translucent protective tape covering it, feel free to remove the tape

#636 6 years ago

Aren't these the adjustment screws?

Drop Target alignment (resized).jpgDrop Target alignment (resized).jpg

#661 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Just curious to know how you guys aligned your flippers. I know the rule of thumb is to put the back (without rubber) against a toothpick in the flipper alignment hole. However, when I do that on this game, it's sort of droopy. Curious to know how you guys did it.

I use an 8" long piece aluminum and hold it against ball guide rail; then, I just move the flipper paddle up to it and lock it down.

IMG_2284 (resized).JPGIMG_2284 (resized).JPG

#663 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

If you un-center the flippers it makes it harder to hit the side martian targets which is a big part of the game, "killing martians"?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative but I have to disagree. It is no more or less difficult to hit the martian with the flippers aligned to the ball guides, and of course everyone should align the flippers the way they see fit.

AFM has always had that little droop in the flippers. Its part of the design, hence the alignment holes being where they are.

I agree 100% and after aligning the flippers to be in a straight line with the ball guide, the flipper alignment holes are now exactly at the back edge of the flippers instead of being under them.

#680 6 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Yeah I'm using an app, laying the phone flat at the flippers. Weird.

What position is the games bubble level at?

#684 6 years ago

FINALLY!

IMG_2289 (resized).JPGIMG_2289 (resized).JPG

... apparently time stops when I turn off my machine

#688 6 years ago

You have to complete all the in game achievements; Super Jets, Super Jackpot, Martian Multi-ball, Total Annihilation, Conquer Mars, and 5-Way Combo. Once completed, the Rule the Universe mode will light at the SoL Hole; this starts RtU multi-ball where you need to score 5 billion points within the allotted time to win the mode. This actually pretty much a gimme since there is a constant ball save that lasts the duration of the mode, and every target is worth huge points.

#691 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Umm, I guess TEX will be ruling mine for awhile.....geez, How can I like a hobby so much that I'm barely average at?

I wouldn't feel bad about not getting it right away, it took me 179 games to complete it and I already had a solid strategy on how to get there. I do think adjusting the flippers helped a lot as I was able to get fairly consistent at hitting the ball lock.

#694 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Do you droop them a bit? The posts and Martian hits are killing me right now.

No, I aligned them in line with the ball guides. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/14#post-3965687

#712 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Sooooooo sooooooo close! Is it like Medieval Madness where after completing all tasks you start Battle for the Kingdom, or do you RTU once you do all objectives?

I said "FINALLY" as I was sooo close sooo many times it was killing me; I was usually missing only one of the objectives and the game I was missing the 5-way combo just devastated me.

You basically just do RTU after all modes are completed, the only thing you have to do is hit the SOL one time since the RTU insert will be lit. Once you complete RTU mode you get the bonus and RTU recognition. The game resumes with only Destroy Mars completed, I've never seen what happens if you complete it a second time...yet.

#718 6 years ago

around 32B, I got RTU on 3rd ball with 2 tilt warnings, I was just happy I made it

#721 6 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Ordered my AFMRLE several months back. Still waiting.

May want to give Mike a call at Automated, last time I checked he has LEs in stock ready to go out the door.

#734 6 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

A couple of questions.....help please fellas:
1. How can I disable the knocker?
2. It is possible to disable the shaker without the topper action and how please?

1) There is currently no software control to disable the knocker, you will have to remove its connector.
Knocker (resized).jpgKnocker (resized).jpg

2) markp99 answered this, its off in the picture below

IMG_2094 (resized).JPGIMG_2094 (resized).JPG

#748 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've only had one oddity thus far that baffles me a bit....left sling will occasionally trigger when I hit the left flipper button. Very random.

I've seen the same thing happen and its very odd, at first I thought it was caused by the right target bank but I'm unable to repeat it. I had check the leaf switches but the gap is quite large. I hadn't mentioned it since its very sporadic and I haven't been able to identify any pattern to it. I was playing another machine on location today and it exhibits the same behavior.

#750 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Stuck switch on the same row or column as the left sling ?

hard to say, everything moves so fast in the game and I'm still trying to come to terms with having no diodes on any of the switches. What I need to do is record a game so I can go back and see what the ball is hitting when it happens.

#756 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

1. Hit a ramp shot, Red arrows illuminate. 5-Way Combo is initiated, right?
2. It appears to be a hurry-up, time-based objective. Blinking Red lights indicates time is running out?
3. Hitting any 5 lit ramps/orbits before the lights go out scores the objective?
4. Hitting non-lit, non-ramp targets (like Saucer Targets) before completing ends the mode, correct?

Yuup

Quoted from markp99:

1. Hitting a lit left or right orbit seems to turn OFF the mode immediately - sometimes, but not always (?)

Correct, you need to score an orbit for it to count as a combo; however, the left and right gates block orbits until you complete the 3rd capture (left) or complete the atomic blaster (right).

Quoted from markp99:

Hitting a lit Light Lock ramp shot turns OFF the mode immediately - sometimes, but not always (?)

The lock ramp and locking a ball will provide a combo shot when lit; starting a multiball ends combos as they cannot be scored during a multiball ... exception: the lock ball ramp will award a combo during martian multiball; if you trap one ball on the left flipper, you can repeatedly nail this ramp to get your combos...my record is around 20.

Quoted from markp99:

3. I was nailing the ramp/orbits, but then Total Annihilation started - I guess this mode took priority over 5-Way Combo, right?

As stated above, starting a multiball ends combos as they cannot be scored during a multiball

#757 6 years ago

I was playing a game to double check the information above, and ... BAM!

IMG_2294 (resized).JPGIMG_2294 (resized).JPG

#799 6 years ago
Quoted from Beerpressure:

If you were an operator which settings would you put on AfM on location? Place I go to recently changed the settings and I am not gonna put money into this thing anymore since its just not fun. One ball save per game, extremely fast play (ball is airborne more than not) and buy-ins are enabled. It used to be factory settings, medium difficulty and a lot of fun.

If I was an operator I would use standard settings with a slight extension on ball save as it should last long enough for a ball dropper into the poppers to make it to the flippers at least once. The way I see it is if people don't find the game fun to play, then its going to sit unplayed. The place I play it has a MM on location but the playfield angle is so steep you cant get a ball orbit to go to the flippers, it always deflects off a kicker ... this machine is rarely ever played.

#850 6 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Ok so this is how off to the right it is, needs to move to the left but only possible way is to redrill the holes. I've tried to shim it and adjust the coil strength but it may work for 1 ball in play then randomly drain. When it's a multiball or the Martians are vibrating it seems that it lacks the power to get it to the flipper. I've had 2 balls on a multiball STDM constantly when this occurs. Not sure what fix to try next, should I put a ticket in? You can see the gap on the left and the angle is pretty much aimed STDM.

I would open a ticket; more than likely the scoop itself was positioned poorly when the part was welded and to fix it right it should be replaced.

1 week later
#886 6 years ago

Still waiting and getting miffed with how Chicago Coin is selling dealers extras and not filling customer orders first

The distributors are CGC customers as they don't sell directly to the public. Some of the larger distributors order aditional games in advance and pay for them up front; this is why some distributors have them on hand to sell while you are still waiting.

1 week later
#913 6 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Now I just need CGC to release the mini saucer lighting upgrade as a stand-alone.

I really hope they do as I assume most SE and Standard buyers would purchase them; this would provide CGC with good additional funding towards their next endeavor as all the engineering is already completed, all they need to do is have more units manufactured.

2 weeks later
#1023 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

ere is my video on both the interactive cabinet lighting (that coinsides with the game play) and the interactive saucer lighting (that coinsides with the topper lighting.

Even your cat seems to be enjoying it!

#1060 6 years ago

Getting royally pissed at Chicago Coin and how the treat their customers. I've been waiting over 7 months now for my LE. Dealer keeps telling me Chicago Coin wont give them a ship date. Starting to feel scammed. No promise of delivery date yet.

Sounds to me like your issues are with your distributor and not with CGC; this s just my opinion, but it may be time to look for a new distributor as others like Automated Services (pinballs.com) have LE's ready to go out the door right now.

1 month later
#1466 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What's an average score on this game? Really good? Great?

5B, 25B, 50B?

#1491 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I've used that tactic as well, but you will need to do it 5 times, since there is 5 attack waves before Mars. That's quite a challenge itself. So you guys are (generally) starting a multiball for each attack wave?

I complete the first two without since you only need a couple hits, after that I use multiballs to bash away.

#1520 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidMP:

My backbox key was missing too. They sent a replacement with no problem. Either they keep a log, or they are all the same key.

My MMr and AFMr use the exact same head key; based on this, I think its safe to assume that like Stern, all CGC pinball heads will use the same key.

#1612 6 years ago
Quoted from abagwell:

Can someone point me to a good guide for how to adjust flipper position? I think my left flipper is the tiniest bit off, balls have a tendency to bounce as they roll onto it just enough that it keeps throwing off my shots. I could also be crazy, but it really looks like the left side is a bit higher than the right side right?

This is how I align my flippers:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/14#post-3965687

WARNING: Adjusting your flippers to this angle will make this game much easier to play and could result in long ball times.

#1699 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

This part is a complete crock of BS.
Holding the left flipper down while plunging will begin the super skill shot.
This is a basic function of the machine, not an advanced one.
Furthermore, with respect to the auto plunging issue, frequently the ball doesn't even make it to the top of the orbit, and instead dribbles back down the right orbit.

I know folks are having issues with this, but for what it's worth I have one of the first machines produced and my machine has never missed making the skill shot orbit without making any adjustments to the game that would effect this shot.

#1700 6 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

It seems there's a very critical eye towards CGC, adjusting a launch position is really that big of a deal? If Stern had the minor issues that VERY FEW of the CGC games seem to have they'd be hailed as the best built machines ever lol

Amen to that, the two worst built machines I have ever purchased NIB (in terms of non-functional/defective item when delivered) were Star Trek and Metallica; hell, my Metallica actually had a bridge rectifier hanging by its wires in the backbox with the attaching hardware and heatsink found in the bottom of the shipping carton.

#1734 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

You started this thread to discuss issues with AFMr. Hearing you defend AFMr with "well my AFMr has been perfect from day 1" and "Stern NIB pins are the worst" doesn't seem like the best approach for encouraging folks to discuss their issues.

My machine being "perfect" was never said or inferred, and was in response to the previous comment about halting production to correct this problem early on. The second comments about MY stern machines were also in response to a separate post and were based on my own experiences, there is no bashing here these are just the facts.

Now what I don't like is that you are tying two separate responses to two separate posts together to make it appear to be something that it's not, as well as putting things in quotes that was never said. By tying them together like this and adding your own interpretations, you are taking everything out of context to make it appear to be something it's not.

#1735 6 years ago
Quoted from abagwell:

Fffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge.

I bet that's not what you said

#1750 6 years ago

Thank you for your link; however, I do know what paraphrasing means and against my better judgement I am going to correct you as your usage of and understanding of quotation marks is incorrect.

Rule 1. Use double quotation marks to set off a direct (word-for-word) quotation.

Correct: "I hope you will be here," he said.
Incorrect: He said that he "hoped I would be there." (The quotation marks are incorrect because hoped I would be there does not state the speaker's
exact words.)

source: http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

#1902 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Owner of the place is very excited to get AFM in there. Should I go SE or LE? In some ways leaning LE in green as maybe thinking the color and topper might draw more people not to mention the fact that mirrors and shaker are standard and I heard 2 year warranty (does that still apply to routed games?).

I would go LE on this one as the additional $700 spent on this is well worth it from both an attraction and resale value. I'm still kicking myself for not getting an LE on this title.

#1922 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

How do I prevent the glass from rattling when sound plays or the shaker enables?

Thanks!

Not sure if you tried this, but it has worked for several people in this forum:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/12#post-3947245

#2115 6 years ago
Quoted from john17a:

Can anyone advise
Set up afm found topper motor won't work lights etc all ok but no martian action

Looks like you have a cable disconnected, please see this post and the following solution from LTG
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/8#post-3923286

#2242 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Correct, however my machine wasn't playable at the default flipper power. So for folks with machines like mine, restoring the default flipper power is equivalent to saying the machine won't be playable until we have a fully tested update.

This doesn't sound right, and reducing your flipper strength is clearly not an option. All machines should have been factory tested at their default settings prior to shipping; I just have to wonder if you have a bad solder joint or connection issue that is not allowing full current to your flipper coils.

#2286 6 years ago
Quoted from huo:

I’ve got about a hundred games in and I haven’t got video mode once. Some long games. Is there a setting thats not enabled?

SPOILER ALERT!

Game rules from PAPA by Brian Dominy
http://pinball.org/rules/attackfrommars2.html#stroke

The Stroke of Luck is a pseudo-random award. Possibilities are:

25,000,000 points. Awarded immediately.
50,000,000 points. Ditto.
Light Extra Ball. Shoot Stroke of Luck again to collect.
Light Lock. For the first multiball, this will light all three locks. After that, it will light one additional lock, regardless if lock is already lit or not.
Award Lock. If Lock is already lit, then that lock is awarded and no lock will be lit. Otherwise the next unlit lock is awarded.
Multiball. Forget the locks, just start multiball.
Lite Martian Attack. Shoot Stroke of Luck again to collect.
+5 Bonus X. Same award as regular skill shot.
Hold Bonus X. Bonus X will not reset to 1X at the end of this ball.
Strobe Multiball. Starts immediately. See below for more details.
Video Mode. Starts immediately. See below for more details.
Sneak Attack. One of the four martians will begin jumping. Shoot immediately to score 150M; the value counts down quickly. Hitting the martian also awards 2 additional Martian Bombs and lights Martian Attack if it isn't already lit.
1 Martian Bomb. Added to any you already have.

The award is pseudorandom, because sometimes it can be predicted. The third Stroke of Luck award will normally be Strobe Multiball. Stroke of Luck will award Video Mode the first time it is hit after Super Jets has been completed, even if it is the third time. Strobe Multiball will then be the next Stroke of Luck award given.

Stroke of Luck will normally award (regular) Multiball on the last ball of the game if multiball has not yet been started.

Stroke of Luck will normally award 1 Martian Bomb if it is collected during Martian Attack, before Martian Multiball.

Stroke of Luck is not available during any multiball. The award can only be collected from the front entrance to the scoop.

If tournament mode is enabled, then Stroke of Luck always awards 50M and nothing else, in order to de-randomize the games.

#2290 6 years ago

IMHO the market would be better off if manufacturers didn't produce "limited edition" pinball machines as it's only the games features that make different versions more valuable than others. I would like to see manufactures move towards changing the "limited edition" to something more like trim levels on cars where you buy a package for $XXX at a reduced price over buying the individual parts, but still have the parts available.

Don't misread this, as I'm not saying that CGC should make toppers available as that ship has already sailed; I'm just stating my opinion on what I feel would be a good direction for the pinball community to go.

#2302 6 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

The dam thing has been in the way all Christmas, couldn’t give a monkeys if they sell them as a stand alone. They could use the extra funds for quality control

Looks like it would make a good step stool if nothing else

#2305 6 years ago

Warning...this may cause feelings to be hurt. please stop reading here if you are overly sensitive...

Quoted from PtownPin:

.I for one would NEVER pay a premium for an LE in the future if they went down that path.

I find that hard to be believe as NEVER is a very strong statement and I find its more of an emotional response than anything else; my wife tends to use it a lot and I usually reply with the "what if you were offered $500,000,000 to do it?" that seems to be the NEVER eliminator...

Anyways ... what if the next LE has solid gold side rails and lock down bar for $1000? You wouldn't buy one? ... You get the point.

The LE is only $700 more than the SE and you get an amazing topper, mirror blades, active saucers, and powder coat. At that price point it would be illogical to not buy one if you wanted those features and it would be irrelevant if they were offered as an add on or not.

#2309 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Not Irrelevant to some folks.

Taken out of context but still true, people tend to be emotional and irrational. Age and wisdom usually cures this

1 week later
#2553 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

It should be simple, everyone that has sent in their warranty card is eligible for the software upgrade.

Speaking of which ... IMHO anyone that sent out a warranty card should not have to do anything as CGC should send them these parts with no need to go through a distributor, after all isn't that the purpose of sending in your registrations?

#2554 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Been playing around with them and can’t quite see what they are doing. Gone all the way from fairly tight to very loose. This is the kind of sh!T I didn’t expect to have to deal with. Moral of the story, buy local next time and have them set it up.

I would be shocked if any local distributors would performed this adjustment when they set up the machine.

#2555 6 years ago

Its not too bad of an adjustment.
Make is so that the lockdown bar installs easily.
Then turn each screw 1/2 turn and check the tightness of the bar.
Do this a few times until you are happy with the tightness.

You should be happy just to have this adjustment; before Stern stopped using lockdown bars, they swapped to a lockdown bar that was not adjustable...so if its not tight, that's just the way it is.

Yes there is a little Stern bashing here and they deserve it for removing the lockdown and maintenance rails.

1 week later
#2743 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

Is there a certain amount of points neede to get video mode. Just weird I’ve had it bout week been playing it a lot and still no video mode. Maybe it’s my sorry gameplay lol

Stroke of Luck will award Video Mode as the next reward after Super Jets has been completed.

#2761 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

How exactly do you adjust the flippers?

It's actually pretty easy, essential all you have to do is loosen the locking nut, possition the flipper where you want it and tighten it back down; this needs to be pretty tight, I usually tightened them until they are pretty snug and then go another 1/8 - 1/4 turn on the wrench. If these are too loose you will know right away as the flipper will slip.

You also want to ensure you have proper vertical play (amount it move when you pull up on it), you have a small plastic tool in your parts bag for aligning this, but its difficult to get set properly with it so most people adjust these to "feel"; unfortunately, this means you have to know what the right amount is to start with. a little under 1/16" is what I shoot for.

I aligned mine to the rail, the main reason for this is for a better ability to capture and hold the ball, this does make the game easier to play. The game is designed for the flippers to be adjusted with an alignment pin that you insert in the hole behind the flipper, then bring the back edge of the flipper (with no rubber installed) against the pin and then lock it down.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2763 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Agreed! What I am observing, is that the dimpling and the scratches (vertical lines) seem to be more visible due to the High Gloss Clear Coat and the LED lighting.

I agree! I know people have also complain about this on newer Stern machines and compared this dimpling to older games like LOTR which doesn't show any dimpling at all.

The above statement is partially true as I can look at my LOTR and I don't see any dimples anywhere; however, if I turn on my shop lights and look at the playfield at an angle there are dimples everywhere, you just cant see them as the playfield is just not as reflective and the lighting is not nearly as bright.

#2770 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

Anyway for a quick fix? Has this ever happened to one of your pins?

This is VERY rare, while I've had a defective wireform before, I wasn't due to a broken weld bet because the welder got metal on the top side that was causing the ball to hop when it rolled over the area.

Dont take this the wrong way, as the wireform will need to be replaced; but, it doesn't appear that this would make the game unplayable...what problem is the broken weld causing?

1 week later
#2997 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeForNostalgia:

Does anyone know a distributor who still has the LE with the silver trim available?

Available and in stock @ pinballs.com ... I'm assuming the website is updated.

Call and talk to Mike about pricing before you buy!

#3040 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

Still waiting for the PIC 2.0

me too

#3068 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looks like they just screened that whole layer with the wrong color. Instead of orange, you got flesh colored.

I have to agree, the color looks too linear across the entire play field to be fading.

#3112 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You’re also not that far from CGC. If you can’t get this sorted, maybe it’s worth seeing if they’ll help service the machine for you if you brought it over. Just thinking out loud...

Kind of along the same lines, if your distributor is local, just get in touch with them and see what they can do for you.

#3117 6 years ago
Quoted from abagwell:

Newbie to working on machines so I'm not sure how to check the bushing, I've adjusted the "droop" of the flippers by loosening the screw underneath the pf, could you explain how to mess with the bushing?

Everyone has to start someplace ...

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about your flippers...and a lot more.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#3156 6 years ago

as much as I love a good debate, I'm forced to change the subject as I got my PIC 2.0 from Automated Services today!

#3158 6 years ago

@mschonbrun

TBH I tucked the edge of the envelope under the lockdown bar when I got home and then went outside to shovel snow

I will dial this in this weekend and let you know

#3192 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Is there a list being compiled of all known issues with AFMr?

They are being added to this thread as key posts ... so sort of

#3194 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I have a skin tone playfield instead of orange... Should I open a support ticket?

I would.

#3197 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I would not have ever found out about the defective solenoid code and Pic2 was it not for this forum.

To be perfectly honest, this is one area that CGC needs to do much better. The fix is extremely simple and they can follow Sterns lead in this area as all they need is a place on their website for know problems, just like stern has their service bulletins; this way, owners can find out about these issues BEFORE they become a bigger problem. IMO The only reason not to do this is it costs the company money.

#3235 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You follow cgc_dougs and his posts on Pinside (subscribe to him)

He only posts official updates and doesn’t really ever come here to chit chat. If you wanted an official channel to CGC for relevant info, that’s it as far as I can tell.

This is just not acceptable in today's world. CGC has a website...that should be ONE of the official means for communicating important information to thier customers. Another avenue of information should be via e-mail to all consumers that registered their products...I own both machines manufactured by CGC and have never received a single e-mail from them regarding known issues with either of their products; my question to CGC isthis: What is the purpose of this registration, if not to alert consumers of known problems and updates?

#3238 6 years ago

I think you will be awarded a 4 ball multiball if you start multiball during the Martian Attack multiball

#3372 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Does anyone have a well used unprotected AFMr playfield with no chipping?

my guess is no.

#3373 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Not a single issue. Got mine early in August and have played it a lot. No edge chipping or any other issues.

Please pose a closeup pic of your SOL hole, I would like to see the positioning of the mantis and surrounding area

#3375 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

And enough software bugs impact profitability too

Apparently not, which is very unfortunate; if you compare Sterns profits with their indifference to the software they release, you will see it has little effect on profits.

#3376 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Sure thing. I hope my game is ready for its closeup...

Much appreciated.

#3378 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I was speaking outside of pinball, but yes, point taken.

True, this would likely not be tolerated by consumers in another product.

#3463 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Considering what I spent on the truck, was I annoyed I had to buy mats? Maybe a little.

I would have told them this "If you aren't going to include the mats, I'm just not going to buy the truck."

#3465 6 years ago

IMO the chipping posts have gotten out of control, the simple facts are this:

1) All new playfields in production games are experiencing clear coat chipping at unprotected edges.
2) The clear coat chips off deeper from the hole/edge than any wood on any playfield would ever chip regardless of the number of plays.
3) Manufacturers know about this issue.
4) People continue to pay ever increasing prices for new machines despite these issues.

The first two are a quality issue, the 3rd will only be solved if the 4th stops or there is a class action lawsuit filed against the manufacturers.

#3466 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Here’s mine. That white stuff around the SOL is under the Mylar. Backing paper maybe? Never really noticed it until tonight. But the edge is smooth and no chipping.

@mschonbrun Thank you for taking the time to take pictures of your machine and to post them.

The white is paint under the clear, its a non issue and most playfields I've seen (mine included) have this minor defect and I also never noticed it until looking at the closeup pictures. It does look like the improved Mantis style protector is doing what its designed to do; the only thing I wish is that this protector had mounting tabs on opposing corners so that it couldn't get pushed further down below the surface which deceases its effectiveness.

I also have no protection in the mother ship hole, nor am I worried about cosmetic damage where I cannot see it without hovering over the machine with a spotlight...everyone will have their own limits on what they consider normal wear and tear.

#3508 6 years ago

Random thoughts and kudos where kudos are do...Stern once made one of the best edge protectors in the world of pinball ... a custom cut stainless steel protector recessed inward to be flush with the playfield! I really wish more edges were done like this. Also worth noting, there are no signs of chipping on this 15 year old machine.

#3510 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Which game is that?

LOTR

#3962 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

can’t imagine the new clearcoats with the softer wood.

I really don't like to start drama and I know that some of the manufactures are dancing a fine line between appeasing shareholders and having happy customers but I have this one question at the back of my mind that I just have to ask...

Why is it that I can drive down the road and purchase a single full sheet (4' x 8' x 3/4") of finished plywood with a hardwood top top layer (oak, cherry, etc...) for under $100, yet the manufacturers that purchase this stuff by the truck load at vastly reduced prices cant use it to make a play field out of it?

#3964 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'd also be surprised if many pinball distributors even accepted a CC payment for 8K (considering costly transaction fees).

Actually MOST do, but they will also give you a decent discount for paying by check or wire.

#3967 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

However, which distributors do not take a credit card? All of the big guys do and they typically add around 3.5% to the price which is good with me.

And since you are buying it with your Capital One Quicksilver Card you get 1.5% of that back immediately

#3969 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

AHHH...I take back my "WOW". Most folks aren't willing to throw another 3.5% down the drain for such a large purchase.

If you buy your game from a local distributor you are paying the 7.25% California state tax on that. If you order the same exact machine from say Automated Services in Connecticut with your credit card you are paying the additional massive 3.5% credit card fee and paying no state tax on your out of state purchase. Seems like it costs you 3.75% LESS to not pay cash to your local distributor

#3972 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm not ignoring it.

Some of this isn't my job. I help people get their games going if they have problems. That's it.

@LTG, you do provide overwhelming support to ALL of the folks here on Pinside; those who are aware of the scope of support you provide, are grateful for the time and energy you put forth on a daily basis to help folks out on this website. Your support is in the true spirit of Pinside and will never be overshadowed by a few folks casting a wide net of allegations.

#4063 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

I am still waiting to see a perfect CGC purchase experience. Everyone who said theirs were perfect have shown issues. A perfect game is zero issues even minor.

I have never purchased a perfect game from any manufacturer; even if the perfect game was manufactured and boxed up, by the time it reached its destination and is setup it is likely going to have some issue that popped up.

#4067 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

How do I clean my Attack From Mars Remake Limited Edition? Is there a special procedure, for example if it was on a route? Do I need to use wax? I have a full playfield protector.

Yes, you should wax your playfield as this will help prevent wear and make it easier to clean. If there are any particles on the playfield, I vacuum it off first, then go over the playfield with a micro-fiber cloth got get fine dirt off, and then apply a new coat of Carnauba Wax.

#4070 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

even on a full playfield protector?

Thanks!

Its really up to you on if you want to wax it or not and how often you clean it, realistically you can run thousands of games through it without cleaning it and it will be okay, it's just going to play slow and look like crap A waxed playfield is going to play faster than a non-waxed one and will make it easier to get the grime off vs cleaning a dry board; the trade off is its a pain to keep it waxed. For what its worth I also wax my ramps and balls for the above mentioned reasons.

Quoted from LTG:

Wax won't stick to it.
LTG : )

hmmm

Well that kinda sux...

#4074 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

What I am told is CGC does not offer Cliffy's with the games due to purists.

I guess technically I would fall into the "purist" category which allows me in a unique position to comment on this. I personally would like to have protectors on the known high damage areas since I'm not a fool.

Now as a "purist", there are actually things that really annoy me with both MMr and AFMr but I haven't commented on them to date.

The main thing is this: If they really want to appease the "purists" and make a game as close to the original as possible, then please tell me why it is that with 25 years of innovation over the archaic electronics of yesteryear, I cannot turn on my machine and start playing a game within 10 seconds? Why does it now take "new technology" at least five times as long to start?

I believe that my question and the answer to the Cliffys is actually the same single word answer ... cost.

#4118 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I found the stock lighting too bright and turned the PF and GI down to make it less intense.

same here

#4119 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

even Stern replaced 100's of GB play fields due to ghosting

I guessing Stern passed this cost on to the manufacturer which is CGC...Unfortunately for CGC, they have no one to pass the cost on to since they are the manufacture. IMO this is a failure of management for allowing sub-standard parts to go out the door.

#4260 6 years ago

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming Monster Bash is going to be the next remake, I'm just wondering if I missed something. Personally, I have 0 interest in Monster Bash, while it does have an outstanding sound track (for the time) I just didn't find it a fun game to play, perhaps I'm missing something here as well.

#4262 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

hat said, as much as we love AfMr LE, we won't be getting any more CGC games until they improve their lacking warranty (written or implied, I don't care) on the LEs to cover second owners in the warranty period like the other big boys do.

I'm personally not concerned about whether ANY NIB machine I purchase has a warranty that is transferable...should I be?

I'm going to attempt to NOT sound like a douche here, but if I sell someone one of my HUO machines, and it plays perfectly when they purchase it (it would) ... why would I be concerned if the buyer has issues a week, month, or year from now?

#4270 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm personally not concerned about whether ANY NIB machine I purchase has a warranty that is transferable...should I be?

I'm going to attempt to NOT sound like a douche here, but if I sell someone one of my HUO machines, and it plays perfectly when they purchase it (it would) ... why would I be concerned if the buyer has issues a week, month, or year from now?

t2000 pleas elaborate on why you down voted this post as I really want to know why I should care. Please don't just do a hit and run if you have nothing to contribute to the conversation.

#4283 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Of course the black is the knot, but the scattered mess on top was ill-applied putty. It's pretty clear. Here, look again:

I'm gonna toss my 2 cents in on this as I have some experience in this area; the CNC machine hit a knot for sure when cutting the shooter lane, there is no doubt of that, nor is there any doubt the wood chipped as is the be expected when boring through a knot. The person tasked to repair the area actually did a really nice job of it ... here's the BUT, this type of repair is ONLY to be done to painted areas which the shooter lane is not. What they needed to do after the patch was to air brush the entire knot area to make it blend in and look normal, if done right, this area wouldn't have been given a second look. With that being said, if ANY of the playfield pictures I seen here warranted a replacement, this is the one!

#4334 6 years ago
Quoted from t2000:

I would also think you would care about a transferable warranty - if quality issues persist it may become a little more difficult to sell the game you bought NIB. Pretty straight forward I would think.

Thanks for responding back, and I do understand what you are saying here, but any quality issue is going to be immediately identifiable and should be dealt with by the initial buyer. If CGC is not willing to correct the problem with the original owner who has the distributor on their side, there is no absolutely no way they are going to do it for the second owner...even with a transferable warranty.

As for the electronics side where a flaw may not be readily identified...defects in electronic manufacture normally results in failure within the first 30 days, and almost always within the first 90 days. If a board survives 90 days, it will probably last at least as long as the original warranty period.

Potential poor quality issues effecting the ability to sell the NIB game? I just can't see how a limited duration warranty which will have at the most < 1year on non electronic issues, is going to help here as its still going to be a poor quality item with or without a warranty.

#4335 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Also...... here’s the weird shit with this pick. You mean to tell me that they screened they PF then added filler not only to the shooter but to the screening in the black ink line.

I think I call BS and the only way I would believe if someone came out and gave better pics of there intire game with these marks

I think the "screening in the black ink line" you are referring to is where the camera flash off either the clear coat, or the SS ball guide is overexposing that area of the playfield and whiting out any detail.

...or they may have got filler on the metal ball guide as well and applied the fill after the game was fully assembled

#4336 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Cedar? No way, that’s a pretty soft wood. Ash, yes, they make baseball bats out of it. Something not right here.

Could it be Birch?

Image source...Churchill Cabinet Co., courtesy of Pinball News November 2016.

#4361 6 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

I'm really excited to order an AFMr SE, but at the same time I'm worried about the color and planking issues.

I wouldn't worry to much about the color issues, this was likely an isolated problem that effected a small number of boards; however, I will be greatly concerned if the leadership team at Churchill Cabinet Co. (aka Chicago Gaming Co. (CGC)) doesn't make this right and honor their warranty for the folks that have been adversely effected by this problem as it tells me they don't care about their customers needs to receive a product free of defects.

Additional thoughts...handmade items are NOT mass produced; legally there is no way that CGC can use the term "hand made" or "artistic differences" for these pinball playfields as they are not hand painted, they are mechanically produced using silk screens and a pre-defined color pallet, the people making these are not artists, they are assembly line workers.

#4467 6 years ago

To me they both look great and there is no way I could tell they are different in a populated game without them sitting right next to each other. As for the nude vs orange, the populated playfield is not nude so I'm uncertain know why it's even referenced.

#4529 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Quoted from thunderking50:
Is there a way to stop the knocker on afmr ?
Thanks

Yes. Open the back box and remove the connector for the knocker coil.

see this post for the connectors location:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/15#post-3969839

#4598 6 years ago
Quoted from jmagla:

Just announced, delayed release of remake no 3.

While a little disappointing this news may not be a bad thing, perhaps they are looking into some of the quality issues raised with game #2. The one thing I find a little concerning is the mention of "deploying some newer technologies" as more times than not "new technology" means disposable; if they plan on going the same route Stern went with the Spike system, it very likely I wont be buying any more remakes. I would actually be elated if they went backwards in technology and built machines like they were built in the 90's which meant 100% repairable boards.

Don't make me start shaking my cane....

1 week later
#4640 6 years ago

Onwallst What a great write up, thank you for taking the time to document your experiences with this machine as well as the support, or lack thereof, you received from CGC; I am sympathetic to you for the problems you experienced and the sour taste that this experience has left you with. I'm both shocked and bewildered at how a company on the edge of becoming a leader in the pinball community can toss it all away over at what is essentially a piece of painted plywood. Being an owner of both CGC remakes, I now have great pause at purchasing any future machines from this company and am going to be taking another hard look at obtaining the original Bally/Williams machines.

#4670 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Does anyone know, does cgc make their own playfields in house? If so, redo the bad ones. If not, send them back to whoever made them!!

This is the shocking part, CGC makes their own play fields so all the problems are internal issues.

#4672 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

After Onwallst's post, there is really nothing else left to say and I will refrain from posting in this thread again.

Agreed, that post clearly defines where CGC stands on the issue. Part of me is actually glad we now have a definitive answer to the playfield warranty question; however, in pinball condition is everything and no one here can possibly argue that point, and I'm extremely disappointed in the support CGC provided in this critical area.

#4744 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The classic has the standard size display - no logo. The logo is on the LCD on the Special Edition and Limited Edition models with the larger display.

I know on MMR there is no speaker bar logo since Williams didn't allow their logo be put on the remake machines; this is clearly not the case for the Bally logo, and even though I don't own a classic machine, I question the why there is no Bally logo on the classic machine, as there is clearly room for it.

#4759 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I suspect they don't have the rights to the Bally name.

Now on the SE and LE, since it's on the LCD, I suspect it's in the original software, and able to be used.

LTG : )

This is not really a complicated issue as reproducing a copyrighted logo by any means (including using it in an electronic form) without obtaining permission of the copyrights holder would violate US copyright law.

In the original MM, the Williams logo was clearly part of the attract mode game code that CGC has obtain rights to use; however, CGC expended resources to scrub this logo from the original code for use in MMr. By the explanation given here, CGC would have rights to leave this in the code, and it would have been easier and less costly to leave this code in place; however, this just isn't the case but is consistent with the explanation that Williams refused to allow the logo to be used.

The difference with ATMr is that the original Bally logo is being used, so it's being used either without permission (doubtful) or CGC has permission to use the logo and chose not to go through the added expense of printing it on the original speaker panel. Since the Bally logo is printed on the ATMr apron, I suspect the later is the case and has nothing to do with the software or trademark rights.

Sorry LTG, I have to disagree with you on this one, but for what it's worth I still think of you as one of the greatest supporters this hobby has.

DSC00414 (resized).JPGDSC00414 (resized).JPG

2 years later
#8403 3 years ago

I have a question regarding the location and position of the mini saucers on the AFM-LE. I recently found out that each of the six mini-saucers are unique as they all have separate addressing. The saucers address can be obtained by entering the CGC lighting menu, then scrolling through the Mini-Saucer modes and stopping at INTERACTIVE, once you do this every saucer will do a chase then flash their assigned address.

If anyone has some free time, I'm looking for is the address displayed on each of these mini-saucers as well as the position of the address lights so I can confirm that I have them all properly orientated; It may be possible to capture this in a single picture...
DSC00802 (resized).JPGDSC00802 (resized).JPG

The video shown here is of a single mini-saucer flashing an address of 3.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13rl9nS72_YbtQE44p-K5dnki5tIcfPzQ

EDIT: I must have MMR-LE on my mind today...these beauties do sit right next to each other but now I want a Royal Edition!

#8405 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Why do you have mini saucers on your MMR-LE?

OMG...good catch

Corrected.

#8407 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I got a giggle out of it.

me too ... I have been drinking BTW

#8414 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Are you saying that their may be a "correct" / "factory" orientation for each of the mini-saucers and you're wondering if your's are all positioned correctly?

Yes, I had removed them all to do a good playfield cleaning, and I'm not entirely sure what spots they came from.

#8423 3 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Here you go. Hope it's clear.

It is, thank you for posting this.

1 week later
#8473 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So the SOL hole DOES come from the factory with a protector? Interesting. Thank you.

This was mentioned in posts #1 and #5 as well as Key Post #2 ... There was an issue with the first run machines, there may be some out there that were never fixed.

#8475 3 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Great video that was just uploaded about installing cliffys in AFMr

Very informative video!

It's probably just me but I see no reason to install these Cliffy protectors.

I can almost guarantee these posts will be tight, but please never do this:

You should always use a rubber mallet whenever you need to force things out of the play field as a large portion of the shock that can damage your playfield will be absorbed by the hammer.

#8476 3 years ago

I just Love my LE in black trim!

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

And I love mine in green!

They are both awesome looking machines!

3 weeks later
#8500 3 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

I just need to figure out the best way to make a couple of lighted frames as I've never made one before.

Not sure if this helps but Stern Pinball produces a fantastic backlit frame; unfortunately the Bally/Williams translite is a little wider that the Stern DMD Pinball back glass used by Stern. I would never do this, but if you don't mind trimming roughly 1/4" off each side you should be able to use this one:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-6959-00

The best thing about this frame is that all 4 sides are hinged making it super easy to install or change the translite without having to remove the frame from the wall. You may also receive better pricing from your local distributor on this vs purchasing from a 3rd party.

Hope this helps.

#8506 3 years ago
Quoted from sonambulo:

The machine that maybe I will buy is number 65 of 1000... I understand that it's an early edition, so does that represent any added problem?

I'm not sure, but its possible you may be confusing early MMr runs with early AFM runs. For MMr the very early runs (LE's) had fantastic playfields, then later machines starting around >200 had playfield insert issues that washed out the writing on inserts.

Early AFM machines has issues with cracking paint on the playfield plastics which was quickly addressed by CGC and to my knowledge they shipped out a new set of plastics to everyone that had this issue.

Now here's the kicker about AFM LE serial numbers ... anyone that had purchased a MMr LE could reserve a matching AFM LE serial number ... regardless of when the machine was actually built.

The second kicker is that unlike MMr, AFMr LEs weren't the first built/shipped as there was a supply breakdown in the topper parts that resulted in the SE'd shipping first. I may actually have had one of the first commercial AFMr's built and delivered as my machine was purchased from one of the largest distributors in the country and drop shipped from CGC (Chicago,IL) to me (Des Moines, IA) and nearly everything between Chicago and Des Moines is an overnight shipment.

#8512 3 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

I’ll have to read these posts only thing I noticed is glass rattle from the bass of this monster.

This thread does contain a couple of different ways to address this issue. I got lucky and only had to adjust the lockdown bar tension to eliminate it, others had to be more creative.

#8527 3 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

I also have this rattling and it's not the glass on mine. It's the rails not glued to the cabinet like the original B/W games. It stops if I press again the side of the rail during a game. I have yet to fix mine but a continuous piece of double sided foam tape should work.

interesting; I had not noticed this. You are on right track here but the original WPC rails were not actually glued to the cabinet, they were installed with 3M body molding tape that ran the entire length of the rail; this type tape is similar to foam tape but better as it's thinner and inflexible. https://www.amazon.com/3M-03615-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B0026HOTZ2

#8535 3 years ago
Quoted from Glangas:

I can't get the glass to come out. I unlock the box and go to slide the glass up, but it won't go high enough to get past the display. It seems really stupid, but I can't figure out how to get it up and out.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Inspected everything ... First thing I noticed that I didn't care for is there is essentially 0 clearance between the bottom of the back glass and top of the speaker panel, I just had to pry it out. Once out I tried to press the back glass edge molding on tighter, it didn't seem to move, but the backglass did go in easier than it came out.

#8555 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Flipper alignment question. I stuck a toothpick in the holes and aligned the flippers so the bottom of the rubber is just touching the toothpick when straight up. Is this correct or is it done without the rubber on the flipper?

I prefer this alignment as the entire edge of the flipper will be in direct alignment with the inlane ball guide and my game seems to shoot better with this flipper alignment.

3 weeks later
#8583 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I was finally able to play cow mania in video mode where your shooting cows instead of saucers. I have read about this in the Easter eggs for this game and your suppose to hit the right launch button repeatedly when you shoot either the left or the right ramps and you see the cow being beamed up. Funny thing is I have yet to get it this way and the other day when I was playing I guess I got it randomly because i was not hitting the launch button on ramp shots. Is it truly a random event and if so can you increase the odds in the settings somewhere?

You only have to push the launch button when you shoot the ramp and get the cow video, you will get a "mooo" sound everytime you hit the button while the cow is active. You need BOTH left and right ramps to register the cows so if you shoot either of these ramps during skill shot to complete the ramp, you cannot qualify the cow video mode.

#8586 3 years ago

Just finished a decent game, couldnt get cow video mode, but got Dirty Pool for the first time ever.

4 weeks later
#8637 3 years ago

TOLLS just out of curiosity ... how many times have you achieved Ruler of the Universe on AFM?

#8647 3 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

What a difference vs a mmrLE

No kidding...as an MMrLE owner I wasnt going to make the same mistake twice ... and I did by not buying one

#8653 3 years ago

Congratz!

1 week later
#8684 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

so any downside to making this adjustment

There is no downside, unless you consider longer ball times and easier shots to be a negative; I readjusted mine to be inline with the ball guides shortly after I received my machine as I didn't care for the way it played out of the box. Some folks will say this is incorrect, but its your machine so any way you want to tweak it is correct for you

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/14#post-3965687

#8691 3 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

I must say that after 3 amazing years playing this beautiful game... this is the 1st time that I see that Tarantula

Truth be told I don't know is I've seen any of them as I'm the only pinball player in my home and while playing my focus is elsewhere

#8696 3 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

I hear a super le is in the works!

I'm all for an Alien Edition with all RGB lighting

#8701 3 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Some were mistakes and some were out of necessity, but everyone one of them a , shit why did I do that moment.

I looked at your sold list and feel your pain; thankfully, I've been fortunate enough to not have to make that hard decision on which machine I have to let go.

#8706 3 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Pic of my Addams

gorgeous pin ... I know that had to be hard to let go.

#8723 3 years ago
Quoted from Mark000:

I looked up all the parts supply's for Planetary Pinball and they have everything available except the the topper board I wonder why it isn't available.

Perhaps they feel its a part that will never fail

#8724 3 years ago

Is there any chance that someone on here has a failed mini saucer board laying around that they dont need, perhaps replaced under warranty and you still have the old one? I would love to buy it from you, please PM me.

#8734 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Can anyone let me know what protectors come installed from factory and what I should get before my game arrives?

There is a Mantis style protector for the Sol hole that is factory installed. IMO no other protectors are needed in a home environment; others may disagree.

1 week later
#8804 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Have you watched these game play videos? Will help you with strategy and scoring methodology.

He is obviously a very talented player, I play mine very similar...sadly I no longer have the same reflexes I had as a younger man and the first thing to suffer is that level of ball control

#8807 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've watched some good players at TPF before (nothing close to his caliber - not saying they weren't there, I just didn't watch them)

Please don't take this the wrong way, I've already said he is a very talented player but the biggest thing you are seeing here is he's a competition player playing on his own machine; trust me, he knows exactly how the ball returning from a missed ramp shot is going to return and he nudges the machine while the ball is exiting or still on the ramp to prevent the drains as he is VERY proactive to missed shots and that only comes from significant playtime on the same machine. His timing is likely as perfect as it gets from playing thousands of balls on the same machine and I wouldn't be surprised is he can flipper catch 1 in 10 balls coming from the scoop with his eyes closed

Disclosure: I'm a very optimistic person and believe that EVERYONE in this forum has what it takes to achieve the same level of play that is demonstrated in the videos. Do keep in mind that these are videos, and you are likely looking at 1 game in twenty that wasn't restarted after ball one.

#8814 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtyharriet:

Surely I can't be the only one here who hates "video mode". The most saucers I've gotten so far is 32. Any secrets you guys care to share?

It's more fun with falling cows!

2 weeks later
#8853 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

When you order a color upgrade kit for the CE is there anything physically included.

If its similar to MM, and I dont see why it wouldnt be, the color upgrade kit will contain a new PROM that has the high definition color images.

Quoted from lpeters82:

Can you resell the the upgrade if you end up not liking it?

LOL, That's like asking if you can give money away if you have too much

2 weeks later
#8906 3 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Is it normal for the translite to have clear borders around the logo where the lights shine directly through?

I think this was mentioned in post #1 in this forum

#8912 3 years ago

6.9!

2 weeks later
#8992 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So anyone having (or had) the issue where you set the time, and while the game is on it can remember it, but as soon as you turn it off, it refuses to advance the time? It only shows the time from when it was last on, and not all the time like a normal pinball machine would. What is this? Any help would be appreciated!

Sounds like the battery on the pinball controller died, replace it and you should be fine.

1 week later
#9016 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Or playfield or other issues that are common?

There was an uncommon opps caused by one of the silkscreeners that resulted in an unappealing color on the playfield. I believe it was a flesh color instead of orange iirc correctly.

1 month later
#9073 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Also is monster Bash LE the same way?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Every machine without a mechanical counter is the same way...and even then you still don't really know.

#9075 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

I believe the new spike 2 sterns hold onto life time plays.

They might, until you replace the flash memory card...

2 weeks later
#9098 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

You were absolutely right! I asked the previous owner and he told me that they were mylar, but fortunately there were not and came off easily Now I can order some lexan protectors to be used instead.

Do you really need them?

1 month later
#9200 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Whoever did that did some pretty bad work. I’d get that out of there fast. That’s a hack for sure.

Picard_Facepalm.gifPicard_Facepalm.gif
Some people should really not work on their own machines.

3 months later
#9358 2 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

Is there an easy way to disconnect the mini saucers from the wire ramps?

I just want to take the ramps (both acrylic and wire) off to clean and wax the playfield. The mini saucers are making this an extremely aggravating endeavor.

The mini saucers are considered to be part of the ramp assemblies, you should be able to remove the ramps without having to take off the saucers.

Picard_Facepalm.gifPicard_Facepalm.gif
1 week later
#9378 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Be sure to mark the orientation before you remove. Not sure if it matters or not, but better safe than sorry.

Orientation of the saucer board position doesn't matter. The orientation of the already removed lens cover is what determines the alignment for the saucer and board connector; of course this can be compared with any of the others as they are all made the same.

Quoted from Nepi23:

EDIT: it does not seem to detach that way. I looks like there are 4 pillars in the edge of the hole - maybe there is glue there. I probably need to get a hairdryer.

They did in fact glue these to the 4 posts which I think is stupid. Most of the time you will break the tabs on the saucer when replacing the board; unfortunately these are out of stock just like the saucer boards and it's unlikely that CGC will have any more manufactured.

Good luck removing them, I hope it can be done without breaking the tabs.

EDIT: I should have listened to the voice in my head that said "You should buy some spare mini saucers."

#9379 2 years ago

The million dollar question on the AFMr mini saucer/LED board parts shortage is who's to blame for it.
Is is CGC for selling spare parts for LEs/SEs through a common retailer allowing anyone to buy them, or is it the LE owners that insisted that the mini saucers were special to them and upgrade kits were not allowed to be made forcing the people that wanted them to buyup all the spare parts and make their own upgrade kits?

1 week later
#9382 2 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Just joined the club on an LE recently but I think I'm missing a part. Is there supposed to be an AC cover on the back? Can anyone point me where I could find a replacement if so? Thanks!

No one ever installs these.

I couldn't remember if the game shipped with this or not but I can confirm that I have this cover in my coinbox. Its just a flat plate with a notch for the cable.

#9384 2 years ago
Quoted from kiwi_dc:

You're looking for the inlet cover on the power cord - here's the link on Planetary Pinball.

You beat me to it.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-MLS-INLTCVR&Category_Code=GS-6385

#9386 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

PPS has the typical one you'll find everywhere :

The ones linked above by kiwi_dc and myself are for the remakes, PPS is the main supplier of CGC remake parts.

2 weeks later
#9415 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Are there any mini saucer upgrades with leds for the SE model?

So here's what happened with the mini saucer upgrades.

Initially the mini saucers were listed as an "included upgrade" for LE owners but before any upgrade kits could be produced, the LE owners bitched that the mini saucers should be unique to their game an no one else should have them. CGC then made this an LE only part and no upgrade kits were ever made available.

Feeling slighted by this, the technically inclined SE owners purchased ALL of the spare mini-saucer boards and built there own saucer upgrades from the already produced mini-saucer spares.

This brings us to where we are now, there are no upgrades for the mini-saucers and the entire stock of spare light boards to support the mini saucer upgrade is exhausted; CGC has no plans to make another production run of these boards. Hopefully the LE owners are aware that their machines are now out of warranty and there are 0 replacement boards to support failed saucer boards on their machines.

#9418 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Couldn't be hard for a switched on modder to do a run of these boards and offer them though?

Maybe difficult, each mini saucer board contains a microprocessor, typically an ink dot is placed on these chips to signify they have been programmed; this will be the largest hurdle to overcome.

The schematics for this part are readily available.

2 weeks later
#9499 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

This is a great game but I own 5 other Stern's. I wish I had a dime for everytime I tried to turn it on at the back box.

I feel your pain, I'm just the opposite, I only have one Stern Spike game and I constantly try to turn it on from under the cabinet ... so frustrating.

#9501 2 years ago

Some folks also buy collectors machines and never open them.

#9542 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Cool thanks, same as Deadpool. I didn't know. That's a top reward and should help my scoring.

Keep in mind, collecting the SSS will prevent you from getting the 1 billion point hurry up bonus for enabling all 4 of the hurryup shots at the same time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, SC
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 210.00
15,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club?tu=pin_guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.