IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0408 (resized).JPG
IMG_0407 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 PinGuy's links to unboxing and SOL potential issue. Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #5 SOL protector issue Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #73 LED info Posted by stpcore (6 years ago)

Post #145 Cliffy install info Posted by evh347 (6 years ago)

Post #149 Firmware 1.0.0 Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #189 info on using AFM cliffys Posted by GorillaBiscuits (6 years ago)

Post #357 Topper connector issue Posted by LTG (6 years ago)

Post #366 Image of Cliffy addition to scoop. Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Post #368 Cliffy install info Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neilmcrae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

thanks PinGuy- good to keep the details of issues and knowledge here.

1 week later
#42 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Any reports of sharp edges along the side rails / lock down bar?

this is sorted.

2 weeks later
#131 6 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Matching S/N or not?

i paid for my matching wednesday... won't get it for a while as I'm in the UK.

1 week later
#219 6 years ago

Doug is the man.

1 week later
#350 6 years ago

have to say the number of damaged parcels is of great concern - is it a packaging issue ? i've not seen how CGC package games but have had 3 NIB sterns that looked perfect of the truck.

#367 6 years ago

sparechange1974 did you take the mantis style one out? A brief description of the steps would be very help as I plan to do the same.

Neil.

1 week later
#503 6 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

Didn't think they went with just an off the shelf monitor for this title.
http://wgsd.co.kr/product1/

did you get the specific model number?

I'd appreciate pictures of how its connected to the beagle board too?

Neil.

#516 6 years ago

thanks am going to capture for streaming!

same as MMR; so wide screen doable subject to content resolution.

#549 6 years ago

Played a couple of AFMr and there is no flipper delay.

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from Dust2000:

Where did you play them mate?

USA. SF and at Pinburgh.

#560 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

D'oh, found it.
Minimum Volume Override: A.1 - 28 = Yes.

that got me at the start also, wonder why they had such a setting?

1 month later
#903 6 years ago
Quoted from flipper73:

hi,
can anybody tell me if the topper of the le is moving during the gameplay?

yes it does.

1 week later
#927 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I have a question. I'm looking at the underside and the wiring and im thinking how do you go about fixing things. Im planning on picking up a remake whether it be AFM or MM and im new to repairing stuff with little to no soldiering skills. I'm seriously worried about purchasing one and then have it bust and it being an 8k rock

honestly mate you don't have anything to worry about. Firstly flippers on the remakes are like flippers on just about any other game so I wouldn't worry about not being able to fix that - the repair guys can fix them for sure.

Outside of the flippers yes there are some specific parts unique to the remakes, but nearly every pinball has unique parts - so far I've not seen any reports of anyone having a problem with them but even so they are all relatively straight forward to replace if need be.

Secondly my MMR has been the most reliable machine I've ever owned, nothing has gone wrong with it nearly 18 months play now.

Neil.

1 month later
#1188 6 years ago
Quoted from Ozzy:

To all you afmr classic owners. How do you like your pin? I have an opportunity to purchase a pro well below new cost. Less than 150 games upgraded color dmd. Would love to hear your thoughts and throw in feelings on a huo tspp. Looking for a game with alot of meat on its bones for my collection

both great games - a hard choice !

Neil.

#1260 6 years ago
Quoted from joesaid:

Where would a Finland resident buy a AFMr?

try pinball heaven www.pinball.co.uk

or ministry of pinball in holland.

1 week later
#1441 6 years ago

The franc mark-Mcrae award surely?

#1442 6 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Still waiting here in Aus for ours but the buzz is contagious. From what I have heard and thanks for posting the vids, CGC should win construction team of the year to put it in F1 terms.

Agreed the boat just landed in Europe for ours so hopeful for next week!

#1448 6 years ago
Quoted from jmagla:

Hey Neil, presume you ordered yours from Pinball Heaven? I'm waiting on an LE on the same boat I believe. Next week would be great! Haven't heard anything from PH yet, think I'll drop Phil an email.

Yes I have, but honestly I wouldn't email Phil - he's pretty good at keeping us in the loop when it all moves and when things happen he keeps us in the loop.

Neil.

#1490 6 years ago

no regular glass.

2 weeks later
#1894 6 years ago
Quoted from jmagla:

Hi Neil, is that yours I've seen on Facebook today? Mine arrives tomorrow, what's your initial thoughts?

no, mine on Friday - but I played the game and love it.

#1899 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I'm liking the green super bands but was considering the Titans who's green I don't care for. What to do?

titans for sure the bounce on them is the best there is IMO.

#1998 6 years ago

LE 575 in the house!!

#2027 6 years ago

for those having the ball hang at launch - CGC are aware and are looking at a fix.

#2089 6 years ago

Cliffys needed under saucer for sure also.

#2090 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

A few hundred at least
I also noticed there is already a metal protector on the out hole ( SOL? ) to the right of the spaceship. I'm guessing this is a 'mantis' type protector? I get it now, but do I remove the mantis in favor of a cliffy, or will the mantis offer excellent protection even though it does not cover the top of the playfield? I left the mantis style in there for now...

Take a look at the first post on cliffys it's possible to have both.

#2154 6 years ago
Quoted from TheMickster:

You really need to plug in everything as needed, the picture you showed was missing at least two connections as required....and/or you plugged them in wrong and the machine blew a fuse. There really should not be any problems if done correctly and as documented in the manual....
I understand that there are plenty of Nu-bees here buying these NIB pinball machines, but really, read the manuals.....Starting from the front, it has a wealth of necessary information.

I tend to agree but the manual info for the topper leaves a lot to be desired!

#2155 6 years ago

I've been streaming AFMR all week, what a fantastic game!

I got direct video going from the machine to my streaming rig... Here are a couple of videos, one where I do a walk through of the machine and the second that shows the direct video.

still haven't managed to get a high score yet!!!

Neil

#2201 6 years ago

All look on the CGC thread but Doug just advised everyone with AFMr to put their flipper rating back to default...

AFMR ONLY:
As I mentioned to a customer on the phone today, when it comes to service, we don’t necessarily have all the answers. As we move forward, it takes a collection of service tickets before we can piece together a trend that then leads to a resolution. In all cases, we at CGC are committed to correcting these concerns. We discovered a software glitch in the PIC that controls our solenoid driver board. While you might try setting down the power on your flippers, the fact remains that these settings are currently having little to no change on the flippers. Our software team has already corrected the problem, and we are testing the new software with a few select customers. Before we do any massive distribution, we want to thoroughly test the update. This might take a few more weeks, and we ask that you be patient as we start to distribute the PIC’s. In the meantime, there will be NO need for you to enter a service ticket at this time in order to obtain the update. Please wait for further instructions. However, we are going to ask that all customers immediately return their software settings to DEFAULT. We have found that if you are using the lower range of settings that it is likely that you will blow one of the FET’s on the Solenoid Driver Board.

#2243 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Pretty clear to me that dialing up the flipper strength made it easier to hit shots consistently. So not sure what CGC is saying here.

I thought the same based on my own play.

#2287 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I don't see how this would alienate the customer base. The LE is a $700 up-charge (with an impressive list of upgrades over the SE). The topper is so elaborate, it's easy to imagine them charging $400-$500 (Stern's boring KISS pinball topper is in this range, and isn't nearly as impressive). If SE folks pay $500 for the topper, then LE customers "paid" $200 for all the other goodies on the LE (armor, blades, bi-color mini saucers, warranty upgrade, fancy medallion).
From my perspective, CG should have the freedom to do whatever makes sense for them and their customers. Kudos to them for the attractive pricing on the LE (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-an-le-that-feels-like-an-le).
snaroff

I don’t think there is any danger of them releasing the topper on its own and if they did it would be a huge problem for me - they would have effectively lied to me and all their customers.

#2288 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Not sure I get your argument. Apparently MMRLE folks "stomped their feet", claiming they "will never buy another remake", yet AFMrLE appears to be selling well. So you apparently think that if CG sells the AFMrLE topper, AFMrLE folks will "stomp their feet" and "never buy another remake"? And a few more iterations will result it no remake customers? I don't buy it. The biggest threat to CG's remake business long term is building pinball machines that work, are reliable, offer value, and have great support. If they accomplish those objectives, they will be successful. If they decide to sell the topper for $400-$500, they may lose a few customers, but no mass exit will happen. You kind of proved this with your MMrLE observation...
snaroff

I wouldn’t compare the MMR with anything, very different time, with a new pinball maker, Rick at PPS more involved than he has been with AFMR. There were many stomping feet situations!

#2328 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

let me just get this straight.
People that are buying a remake of a 22 year old pinball are now upset if their fellow buyers get a remake of the topper

no thats not straight at all! try again

#2341 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Pinball manufacturers are great @ creating stomping feet situations...the hobby would be boring otherwise.
Just to be clear, I was responding to another Pinsiders MMR comparison...I don't own MMr and had no interest in it (so I wasn't paying attention to all the apparent drama).
I just find this topper sensitivity so hypocritical. Remake advocates have long argued with original lovers (like myself) that remakes rock so more folks can experience the joy of a LIMITED # of games that are loved, rare, and costly. The remakes often disrupt the original values, but the remake advocates taut this as a virtue. Fine. By analogy, if an AFM owner loves the freakin topper, let them purchase a topper! I imagine CG will stick by it's promise, but wouldn't be surprised if they evolve their model to be more progressive (as Pin_Guy mentions above).
snaroff

I think they needed to do something to generate demand and the topper did that by a mile. Having a top end game moves all games.

There is a significant difference than the above though. CGC said the LE was 1000 models and only the LE would get the topper.

Nobody at WMS 20 years ago said they wouldn't license the themes or that more games further down the line be wouldn't be made.

Cheers,
Neil.

#2389 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I do not believe so, no.

you can turn colourisation off in the CGC menu - maybe that does it?

Neil.

#2390 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree, however this thread is so long/diverse that it's actually hard to find the salient technical problems/solutions.
Would be nice if the other thread could reference some of the help in this thread.
snaroff

look at the key posts. Adding another thread was just mental.

Neil.

#2392 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Put in my ticket for the Topper and ball launch issues. Already got back to me. Said they’ve seen this issue on recent machines and are sending me a new PIC 2.0, whatever that is. Also sent PDF on ball alignment and bending that metal part.

can you share the PDF please?

Neil.

#2450 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

I agree. And this is a great machine and most the issues seem to be fixable. With that said I find it disturbing that it’s the same issue plaguing most people, the ball launch issue. You’d think they would have addressed this and I think the problem is more widespread than was let on.

its only causing issues to those in the second batch, first batch was problem free from what I can see.

#2474 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

The fact that replacing a burnt LED required a technician is a major design flaw. I am one of those go can work with tiny SMB, which is the reason I'm very concerned. It's actually a major deal breaker too, as other have mentioned, so if this is the case, and a technician is required to use special equipment to change a bulb, it will affect the bottom line for certain. Now that I know there is no reasonable answer to this design flaw, I will also stay away from getting any other remakes, and stick to getting a super-nice original.

utter nonsense.

#2484 6 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

This second run of AFMRLEs, something has changed.

agreed, but I have confidence in CGC they will sort it.

#2496 6 years ago

Fuses checked whilst removed from the machine?

1 week later
#2656 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I have a TNA coming and was debating not getting the butter/clearcoat finish, but now that I know the stuff can peel, I'll go with the butter... CGC should offer clearcoat cabs!.. unless having clearcoat cabinet is a bad idea?

means you have to collect from the factory...

#2658 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Did anyone buy the Classic just because they want their DMD to match their MMr?

thats why i'm hoping they do the widescreen on MMR

#2690 6 years ago

well it wasn't like this with MMR! It is starting to become slightly alarming but I have huge faith in Doug and team at CGC, as he told me, sometimes they don't know the answer right away but they will work to find it.

#2769 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Agreed! What I am observing, is that the dimpling and the scratches (vertical lines) seem to be more visible due to the High Gloss Clear Coat and the LED lighting. I do believe the dimples will even out over time so I am not worried. I just think that what people are seeing is more visible now with the way the PFs
are clear coated. I have the same dimples vertical lines in my MM they are just not as visible. I can see these issues as being deal breakers for some high profile future buyers. Not a big issue for me.

I've got PDI glass and you notice it worse!

#2864 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

And your the style of customer that is going to be the one that continues to buy these games. These remakes are just not for the die hard meticulous collectors. The AFMrLE is close because of all of the added features that are limited. But when I look at my playfield and see all the vertical lines in it, It just isn't collector quality to me. And I don't think it was intended to be. There is a very large market for this type game. It will be interesting to see if it continues to grow or stagnate and retract.

collectors; sadly; are a minority. Folks post about the originals being perfect are usually those that weren't that close to that reality. Williams machines coming of the line had as many if not more issues than today and would have had many things that wouldn't make it collectible.

Something meticulously restored by hand is always going to look better for some; that is not_ a williams machine that came of the line or a CGC machine that came of the line, or a Stern machine that came of the line. Unless they make 5 or something super low, then maybe.

If you want a truly bullet proof collectible remake, get one of the line, give it to the HEP type people and you'll get what you want.

Neil.

#2866 6 years ago

fantastic!

#2909 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

But when I look at my playfield and see all the vertical lines in it, It just isn't collector quality to me. And I don't think it was intended to be. There is a very large market for this type game. It will be interesting to see if it continues to grow or stagnate and retract.

what are the vertical lines - I don't have vertical lines?

Neil.

#3020 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The LE's are supposed to come with coin mechs installed.

only in the US - overseas dont.

#3041 6 years ago

anywhere else to get the green fluorescent plastic protectors from?

Cheers,
Neil.

#3078 6 years ago

LE just has the big screen and the topper... but yes its same game. if you are just a player...

#3097 6 years ago

I just took a close look at my playfield and as above its like glass, none of that planking or lines, those who have that need to raise tickets with CGC.

still can't beat 4B - why I oughttaa...!!!

#3102 6 years ago

I know they aren't needed but they look great pinbits sold out!

Neil.

#3129 6 years ago

I’m not getting chipping but plan to put cliffies in as chipping is inevitable.

#3215 6 years ago

if you have a problem open ticket and speak to Doug.

#3266 6 years ago

check your balls ladies and gentleman. Mine had a bit of a ding in one - replaced the lot.

Neil.

#3322 6 years ago

did all my afmr chores today (apart from cliffies). plastic protectors rock!

IMG_8245 (resized).JPGIMG_8245 (resized).JPG

#3328 6 years ago

better pic here...

IMG_8243 (resized).JPGIMG_8243 (resized).JPG

#3333 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Nature of the beast I suppose. The shooter lane in my 1 year old MMR was starting to look like my 22 year old TOM!
The true shame is that a lot of people (many right here in this thread) just accept it.

how many plays?

#3371 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Those look great! Where did you pick them up? I’m thinking about some of those and some translucent rubbers.

pinbits.

#3563 6 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Which plastic protector set did you end up going with? Also, what chores did you do aside from Cliffy's & Protectors?

shooter lane fixes, I didn't do the cliffies yet as its a bit of a job will do that next! I checked the saucer and SOL holes for damage and they were fine.

#3564 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I actually ended up getting two drain Cliffys. The purpose of this protector was to stop wear as the ball continuously rolled over the edge into the drain. But with the chipping issue, the bottom of my drain was starting to look terrible. Had to put one there too.
As a comparison, my original (at one point in its life routed) TOM has never had a protector, and the drain hole looks better!

how many plays do you have? I've played the game pretty hard and I'm just not having that chipping problem. (Nor on my MMR thats over two years old now).

#3565 6 years ago
Quoted from jmagla:

New to owning a pinball, so each small step is a learning curve. I've had and sorted the left popper, pic, and ramp issues, so far so good. I've bought a full set of Cliffys, installed the two easy ones, moving target and ball eject, got four left to do. There are instructions on the website for the mothership and sol, so will do these, even if a bit daunted.
I can't see any info however on the lock and drain hole cliffy's, just wondered if anyone who has fitted these has any photos or advice?

look at the key posts, there is a post earlier in the thread with a lot of pictures.

#3566 6 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

i just ordered a LE
i am happy with my MMRLE
but sounds like a lot of quality problems on AFM LE ?!?!?

just the ball shooter lane, which after I followed the guide to fix the problem was solved.

#3569 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Chipping on my AFMR lock hole after less than 100 plays. Chipping on SOL, hole under UFO, and drain after less than 300 plays.
MMR seemed a bit more resilient. I'm at about 2300 plays now, and have chipping on every exposed edge of the game. All covered by Cliffys now, but the fact of the mater is, they're chipped.
I'm willing to put it to rest on my MMR, because I'm hoping the Cliffys will prevent any further damage. However, seeing an MMR the other day with a chip forming on a switch slot made shit scarier. If the chipping starts to happen on any part of the pf that is not an outer edge, we have a real problem.
With AFMR, I can't swallow the pill as easily consider how little play I've put on it.
I'm curious to know if your game has protectors on it. Also, what strength do you have your flippers at, and what angle is the game set on?

My MMR I put protectors on after having it about a year, (well I had the protectors but was just too lazy to install them LOL) I reckon I must have been at about 1000 plays and I don't recall any chipping, not to say it isn't there it just didn't stand out for me, currently my MMR is tombstoned whilst I build a new pinball arcade room). Tonight I'll put the macro lens on my big camera and take some close ups of the AFMR playfield, not sure how many plays on AFMR but as its the only game I can play at the moment its getting a lot of play
If I was getting major chipping with low I would be upset also. (especially after having ghosting on ghostbusters!). I am getting dimples but having looked at this problem in depth after my batman had them I'm comfortable that this is normal if a bit ugly.

Neil.

Neil.

#3570 6 years ago
Quoted from jmagla:

Yes, but not with the drain or lock hole cliffys, (not that I could see) all others but not those two.

yes apologies you are right. Drain should be straight froward, take of the apron and loosen the trough to squeeze it in.

#3697 6 years ago
Quoted from chancegino:

Does anybody had any issues with play field wear in the shooter lane? See pics of mine, only have a couple hundred plays and game is less than 6 months old.

something badly wrong with that. have you checked the balls?

#3698 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Interesting comparing to an original. My game probably had 10000 plays plus but quality of the clear back in the 90's seems way better.

back in the 90's we could use serious chemicals. Look at car paint also, my 16 year old M3's paint is better looking than my 15 month old M4.

Neil.

#3771 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

So does that make good business sense? Just let people sell or trade their AFMr LE for something else and move on. No return business, just walk away?
Makes me wonder how long they can be in business with this model? We are not talking about Stern here. This is a new company. I guess it could be worse, could be like Dutch and just leave most of your customers with no game for their hard earned dollar.

A new company? No.

#3772 6 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I have had my LE for about 2 months. I had shooter lane issue and fixed it. Had the popper issue where it took multiple times for ball to pop up. Fixed that. No flipper issues. I did do the PIC 2 chip installation. I have talked to Doug multiple times. The latest was about the chipping I have on right and left of hole of ufo ship. His basic take over the phone was this will happen over time and if you want to protect your machine get cliffys. I told him I already had them on order. I told him that in future they should consider putting cliffys on all the machines. He stated that the purists wouldn't like that. I said to him that put cliffys on so many machines (maybe 80%) and leave the rest without for the purists. He stated that it would too much of a logistical problem for distributors/sellers. I think it is BS. When I told him that a full set of cliffys was $110 and he thought that was a lot. I don't think 1.5% of price of machine to protect is too much, but they should do that for us. In regards for having a wrong colored play field, that should be an automatic replacement. Too me, that is a DEFECT in manufacturing. As of now, probably wouldn't buy another chicago gaming machine unless people on this forum state that there defective playfields are replaced. My star wars LE has had zero problems and I don't see any chipping. Having incomplete code is not ideal, but it is of greater importance not to have a defective machine. I feel like stern is trying to make improvements in their coding staff and are very responsive to defects according to a lot of posts i have read. Maybe I would consider Jersey Jack for next machine.

Hmm - better ask all those with scratched playfields because of crap cliffies and cheap balls how their dialed in’s are getting on!

#3773 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

AFMLE owners, I have a fully restored original and thinking about a LE version,are you guys happy with your games ? Also do all LE,s come with green trim ?
Can i get chrome or stainless?

They’ve made them all so will depend what your dealer has available the green rocks though! once you sort the shooter lane issue (which hopefully is fixed in production) the game is superb. Install full set of cliffys (order them now as cliff has a backlog!)

Neil

#3776 6 years ago

So I took a good look at my playfield and the only thing that mine has is dimples which I expect and are normal in my view. My game was made late November and spend three weeks being shipped to the UK I got it 23rd December.

After this many plays and balls.

total games playedtotal games played

balls playedballs played

Total time playingTotal time playing

shooter lane

shooter laneshooter lane

SOL Hole

SOL HoleSOL Hole

Other side of SOL HoleOther side of SOL Hole

Force Field

Force FieldForce Field

Saucer Hole and Drop Target
Saucer Hole and Drop targetSaucer Hole and Drop target

Lock Ball Hole.
Lock Ball HoleLock Ball Hole

I don't see any huge wear, I don't see any chipping. The lock ball hole looks like that might be a problem in the future. I've got cliffies for the game and was recommended to put them on by original AFM owners.

Cheers,
Neil.

#3778 6 years ago

in Europe there is but it lies with whomever sold you it. I used it to get my GB playfield swapped after it started to Ghost.

Neil

#3779 6 years ago

one question I have, how do you take a bulb out?

One of the bulbs on my right slingshot is out but damned if I can figure out how to swap it out.

#3781 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

one question I have, how do you take a bulb out?
One of the bulbs on my right slingshot is out but damned if I can figure out how to swap it out.

Ok figured it out just need to order a replacement now!

#3977 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Well I'm happy it worked for your oven, but something tells me the process wouldn't be as smooth for a pinball machine (small vs. large company, hand-built vs. machine produced, shipping cost, etc.). I'd also be surprised if many pinball distributors even accepted a CC payment for 8K (considering costly transaction fees). Most car companies limit a charge to 2-3k.
I think the suggestion recently put forth (regarding buying/verifying from a reputable/local distributor) makes the most sense. The only problem is convenience, since pinball distributors are fairly small in numbers (i.e. not on every street corner
snaroff

I did a charge back on an Aston Martin DB9...

Neil.

#3979 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Did it have chips on it?

no, but it didn't go all of the time, and would stop in places were you didn't want it to stop.

in anycase.

Just a reminder to pinsiders. let either agree or disagree amicably, and not assume everyone is out to insult each other or call each other a liar; as per the rules if you aren't going to post something that adds genuine value then don't post it! I like this group because its been so amicable lets not make it less so please.

Neil

#4041 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

What does that mean, exactly? That your made a 100k-ish charge to your credit card? Then returned the car?
snaroff

I bought a car with my credit card, it didn’t work, the seller refused to tackle it in a manner acceptable to me and breached the conditions of sale, I did a chargeback, they collected the car and then refunded me in full.

Neil

#4042 6 years ago

Don’t forget different digital cameras and lights will make many things look different colours.

#4120 6 years ago

Its me versus these d00ds!

https://twitch.tv/NeilMcRae/

at 21:40UTC tonight.

afm (resized).jpgafm (resized).jpg

#4448 6 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Hi all -
Just reporting on a small issue that's come up.
I just installed PIC 2.0 into my LE, and I honestly can't remember if it was doing this before or not, but my speaker lights are now only showing various shades of green in interactive mode, and interestingly, won't turn off when I select "Off" in the menu.
I've opened a ticket (Hi, Lloyd!), and will report the outcome back here.
Here is a quick video showing the problem:
» YouTube video

did you check all the pins are in the sockets?

#4449 6 years ago

Who is the real pinballaddicted?! LOL

IMG_8729 (resized).jpgIMG_8729 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#4760 5 years ago

When they announced Doug mentioned that they had the rights to use the name from CP who owns the brand. My guess is at the time of designing the plastics they may not have had the rights to use it and given plastics have a long lead time play it safe and not have it. Its also the same part as MMR so could be there was many left over...

2 weeks later
#4898 5 years ago

LE is epic

#4910 5 years ago

Did any of you get lock cliffy when you ordered the pack?

Neil.

#4911 5 years ago

if you have a chance to buy an LE- the buy it.

1 week later
#4972 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Attack LE owners ?? Can the new screen be changed to no dots ?
Or soothing like a color dmd ???

no.

3 weeks later
#5153 5 years ago

PDI glass for sure, pingraffix are nice - they had that on a machine at NYCPC but not sure I would pull the mirrors of for it. maybe go for plastic protectors instead

Neil.

1 week later
#5238 5 years ago

its obviously true given there is a press release! or its some funny shit late April fool.

Will be important to see who in CGC picks up from where Doug left as he was the main contact for CGC in pinball really.

Hopefully good news for us outside of the US from a Stern point of view. Pricing from Stern on international markets has been bizarre especially here in the UK.

Neil.

1 week later
#5267 5 years ago

what PF angle are you guys running?

3 weeks later
#5402 5 years ago

Hires is built into the graphics on AFMR as they were all redrawn for the much much much higher res colour screens.

#5413 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not all of it was redrawn - half of it is still pixel style (see my earlier comments).
btw I installed the color on the classic yesterday and it looks great. What's odd is that the main saucer not displayed additional colors too. I might take a video as I didn't see any classic with color just SE and LE online

huh? no sorry but it was all_ redrawn.

It has to be so that the colours work and that it lights enough pixels

standard DMD is 128 by 32 - the screen resolution on AFMR is 1280x600

On some of the fonts etc they may have not been re-drawn well but that a different issue.

Look at my stream here with direct DMD input from AFMR:

MMR is same.

Neil.

#5419 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Neil that is my point. Some/majority of the dots are blown up on the larger screen and look super pixelated. Not a good look.
I think that's what you mean by not redrawn well? I couldn't agree more.
Owning the color now, they did a fantastic job in the animated scenes. It's like a hybrid of pixels and hires. The rest doesn't look too be scaled in a similar fashion and comes off as ultra pixelated.

I think its meant to be like that and I like it. Its not that its bad. Its just that they didn't mess with it. the only thing that I think they could have tidied up is when the small font is used for scoring with the commas it could be better, but I think they have done an epic job with this.

Neil.

2 months later
#5894 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So can you NOT upgrade the classic model to be colorized with this? The flyer says "upgradable," but I dont see where one could buy the color rom?

PPS

3 weeks later
#5964 5 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

What speaker lights and sound systems would people recommend to put in a mmr? (i know this is the afmr thread)

there is plenty of discussion on this in the MMR thread.

1 month later
#6170 5 years ago

you can turn down the strobe brightness in the CGC menu. but its epic when it starts.

#6171 5 years ago

had two issues recently:

Anyone have a problem with the drop target not coming back up? If I reset it manually it comes up for a bit then after a while it doesn't come back up again? anyone seen this?

on the right ramp - when the ball comes out of the wireform - its sometimes got a bounce that takes it randolmly in different directions - including the outlane ? anyone seen this?

#6173 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Be sure the switches under there are working, haven't come loose or anything.

Lower flipper strength, or figure some washers or something to raise it up a little on the side back there.
LTG : )

ah good point - you just reminded me that the game has just been waxed.

#6184 5 years ago

switch had moved position wise, moved it back and its looking good. have the say the mainboard of AFMR is a work of art.

#6186 5 years ago

drop target fixed thanks LTG.

Neil.

1 week later
#6251 5 years ago

Folks,
got a problem with my AFMR - ball coming out of the scoop direction is very varied with the odd one going STDM. Whats the solution please? When I look at the papa videos of AFM its almost always to the middle left flipper.

Cheers,
Neil.

2 months later
#6545 4 years ago

gre titans for AFM looks awesome.

1 week later
#6584 4 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Anyone know if AFMrLEs are still available NIB anywhere?

PPS

2 weeks later
#6630 4 years ago

ok has anyone found a solution to the SDTM on the scoop?

I swapped to a NOS scoop and it helped but the eject from the scoop 10-15% of the time is SDTM - there must be a solution for this?

2 weeks later
#6902 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Wall power variations affect it a bit, so 90-95% seems about right

I though the big capacitors in the back of the game where supposed to make that a non-issue?

#6903 4 years ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

No need for the chip puller, the PIC 2.0 comes with a chip puller. Pulling out the old chip with the supplied chip puller is pretty easy. Aligning 2.0 is a bit more tricky - I was one of those people that broke the leg and had to order another 2.0 chip. Don't rush it like I did and you should be a ok.

also just make sure you have just the chip and not the chip socket! Get plenty of light shined at the board.

#6929 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Hey guys,
Wanted to mention this just once more to feel better about
it.
The VUK struggles to get the ball up maybe 40-60% of the time.
Has anyone else experienced this and was just a matter of
increasing the coil strength OR is it possible that I have an
imperfection with my VUK as far as the shaping or something.
Thanks!

its the bane of my life.

1 week later
#6968 4 years ago

fixed the launch from the right popper. put a slightly bigger coil into the launcher. now the ball consistency hits the middle of the left flipper. beautiful.

3 months later
#7354 4 years ago

I'm just about ready to torch the right hand scoop.

Has anyone got this consistently hitting the middle of the left flipper? I've tried about everything. (look at Bowen's tutorial video, the PAPA AFM is super consistent and that's what I want).

any ideas welcome. I've swapped the scoop out for a NOS one. changed the coil but its still inconsistent. I'm wondering if the game isn't storing enough power to make the coil fire at its fullest?

Neil.

2 weeks later
#7459 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So, I turned on afmr and the balls don’t kick out? It just sits there. I tired reseating the connectors in the trough, but that didn’t do anything. Any ideas? Thank you.

check fuses behind the back glass.

#7460 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If that's the case, you will be shocked at how the machine comes alive with Marco's white rubber.
Titans LOOK great, easy to clean, but play dead. Worse than black rubber for ball action, IMO.

So Marco's white plays different from Marco's black? Is this the PRW stuff?

#7478 4 years ago

not sure I want a huge amount of bounce and white will look terrible on AFMR. will order some and give it a go.

3 months later
#8165 4 years ago

I played an original AFM with the 1.1 rom and tournament mode.

I really want the 1.1 Rom on my game now. Anyone spoke to CGC about this?

#8180 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

What’s the difference between 1.0 and 1.1?

The main difference as to why I want it is that in tournament mode it gives more than just 50M which makes an4 player tourney game much more exciting!

Neil.

2 weeks later
#8237 4 years ago

torch that funhouse and get AFMR

6 months later
#8801 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I'm seeing all this talk of high scores and average scores, and making a mental note to never play pinball for money with any of you

they are bluffers, they all play with 5 balls and extras turn on and a tilt as loose as a ....

#8802 3 years ago

this is why I set my games up hard. To make myself have to play better. Post set to hard, maximum steepness, playfield polished, ball save off etc etc. With AFMR especially it make my game play MUCH better.

2 weeks later
#8876 3 years ago

Hearing the new run of AFMr’s will have a Martian Edition with all the features of the LE new powder coat and the new RGB GI and a topper (not sure if the same as the LE topper hope to hell not!). Anyone else heard this?

#8884 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Where did you hear that?

I was in my living room at the time.

I hope it is BS (esp the topper part!)

8 months later
#9420 2 years ago

ok so finally got of my arse and got ROM 1.3B onto my game but sad trombone it doesn't work CGC-Ryan CGC_DougS I know you guys are busy with the next game but it would make this game so much better if we could have 1.3B for tournaments please. Let us know how much we can crowdsource it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 210.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, SC
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neilmcrae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club?tu=neilmcrae and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.