Topic Stats

• 8,557 posts
  • 533 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by yuriijos
  • Topic is favorited by 257 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,636 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

218568B3-6D8E-476E-A73D-51EACAC45F26 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3998.JPG
CD2E6D3C-84F4-4C7B-A68A-AAD6194B9CD2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG
cable (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
DSC00480 (resized).JPG
DSC00481 (resized).JPG
72D34C0F-AE2F-4E18-A4F1-AF46E888FBC1 (resized).jpeg
8AB2926C-7A00-459B-B22C-3B1E0FB5A81F.png
020F260B-079E-417B-A5BF-2E272AF0A795.jpeg
337E3514-95E4-4766-B9B5-FDD3D5CDA4C5.jpeg
IMG_20200510_134243 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200510_134318 (resized).jpg
Shooter Lane Ramp.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 PinGuy's links to unboxing and SOL potential issue. Posted by Pin_Guy (2 years ago)

Post #5 SOL protector issue Posted by Pin_Guy (2 years ago)

Post #73 LED info Posted by stpcore (2 years ago)

Post #145 Cliffy install info Posted by evh347 (2 years ago)

Post #149 Firmware 1.0.0 Posted by Pin_Guy (2 years ago)

Post #189 info on using AFM cliffys Posted by GorillaBiscuits (2 years ago)

Post #357 Topper connector issue Posted by LTG (2 years ago)

Post #366 Image of Cliffy addition to scoop. Posted by sparechange1974 (2 years ago)

Post #368 Cliffy install info Posted by sparechange1974 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5124 2 years ago

Anyone know how much it is to upgrade screen on classic to color? Also the default screen allows one single color right? Thanks

#5129 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

If it's like MMr, it's $399.

Damn that is expensive. Doesn't the DMD that comes with it do color already so what are you buying?

#5131 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The programming that made all the color happen. Not an easy task. Frame by frame, dot by dot. And if it's like the MMR color upgrade, it's four times the colors of the ColorDMD version in the original MM.
AFMR has improved graphics in the color version too.
LTG : )

How is it enabled? Is it anything physical or just software?

#5133 2 years ago

Ok. Classic doesn't have larger DMD but I thought it can still get the color treatment? Anyone confirm and if so how do you update?

#5137 2 years ago

Well I'm about to join the club! Where can I buy shaker and do normal Bally William mirror blades fit on these?

#5139 2 years ago

Ltg the man as usually. Thanks!

#5140 2 years ago

So I have the game. Had one error but I cleared it. Stunning game works great. I have the standard with one color but when it boots it looks full color and hd. I’m assuming the hd color does more than just colorize from the looks of the boot up screen. Looks very nice. Is it safe to assume the HD option on standard is the same as LE but just smaller screen?

Also where is the option to make the strobe and lights on saucer brighter?

Finally to get the Hs option I need to call the manufacturer?

#5143 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Order the upgrade chip?

Ok I'm not familiar with what that is or where to get but I'll call them tomorrow.

#5145 2 years ago

Definitely. I noticed the same but in the chart breakdown they say upgradable on the classic so it's contradicting. I would be surprised if you can't get the color bc the DMD can do full color already (boot screen shows AFM in full color).

Looks nice

#5147 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is different than all the programming needed to do all the frames/dots in color.
Please post what you find out.

Will do. I was just saying the screen has the ability to technically display color

#5149 2 years ago

So checked the cgc menu option and mine is 1.0.0 software. Not sure that's latest but I have sol v2.0 so good there

Also there is a colorize option and it says not installed so I think technically it should be possible but will update

#5151 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

1.0.0 is the current software.
2.0 is the revision of the PIC on the driver board. Replacing 1.0 PIC. Current games may not have a label on that PIC.
See pictures.

yep - noticed the same on mine so that's good.

I changed the color to green and it looks good on this. Surprisingly good. I know color is the best but will see how much (expecting 400). btw - the game is really stunning. Such a classic - they did a great job on this. It feels really good. Game is really loud btw. even with override volume I have it at 2!

#5157 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

You can for sure. I have seen a classic with color

RE: Upgrading AFMR Classic to color.

I called and they confirmed. EPROM chip that needs to be replaced underneath the PF (odd spot) - would have thought backglass.

Can buy from distributor. $399. I get the effort around this but I still think that is pretty damn expensive. With color DMD, you can at least sell your older display. Something about unlocking something just doesn't sit well but that's fine. I'll need to think about it some more....

#5159 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Same as MMR. On the board under the playfield.
Thank you for the update.
While expensive, it isn't just the chip. The colors are programmed dot by dot and scene by scene. Agreed on ColorDMD being able to use in a different game or sell it. Even though they both are different.

I hear you. btw - REALLY impressed with the quality of this game. It really does feel like AFM but it's like you found one brand new. My brain has a hard time comprehending when I'm playing b/c I'm used to seeing it pretty beat up. Same with the cab - non faded.....awesome!

#5160 2 years ago

My game is really loud even with the min volume override turned on. Is there another option to reduce volume b/c right now at 2, it's loud!

#5163 2 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Sounds like you might need to open a ticket. Set below 3, mine is at a very comfortable late-night volume. The sounds of the coils are much louder than the sound effects at that point. Above 6 and stuff in the room starts rattling.

Seems like another guy mentioned the same. Interesting.

#5166 2 years ago

man just got my highest score yet and played strobe MB - no lights at all. Nice. This is a fun game. It just feels great.

#5182 2 years ago

I just got a classic and have no issue telling either ...

#5193 2 years ago

sometimes the launcher doesn't shoot the ball all the way around if I hold in the left flipper - normal?

#5202 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Should be consistent. Go into CGC menu and turn the launch a little stronger, see if that helps.

Worked thanks

#5206 2 years ago
Quoted from Atrain:

I am going to be joining the AFMr club on June 12. Very excited. But I purchased a Special Edition, not an LE. I guess I want some comforting words that I didn't mess up the purchase by getting the SE. I love how it plays do I am confident that all will be good but I have some concern from the ratings only rating the LE and almost everyone seems to have an LE and not a classic or SE.

I have a classic and really enjoy it. I'm prob the minority but I just don't like how the super large screen looks compared to the original - at least not enough to justify getting it over the classic. If it was SE vs LE - it's all about that topper. It's very cool but I'm kind of over toppers now.

#5213 2 years ago

so you went MM and AFM. Was thinking about this recently with them technically having a lot of similarities. Interested to hear your thoughts on that after having some time to play with AFM.

#5230 2 years ago

so the only hiccup I keep on having is that on ball launch when I want it to go all the way around, sometimes the ball gets caught in the bumpers. It's not 100% going around. I tried to make the power higher and it appeared to work but still getting that issue. Anything I should look out for?

#5232 2 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Open a ticket with CGC. There is a fix they can help you with.

ok thanks

#5237 2 years ago

just an FYI, I put a trouble ticket in for a relatively minor issue and I had a formal response and solution within 24 hours - part being sent in the mail. Done. Amazing customer service.

1 week later
#5259 1 year ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

My biggest problem with blades is they are a “mod” and mods should be fully reversible. Have you ever seen how it looks when you try to remove blades? Ruins the cabinet........WORST mod ever.

It doesn't get better than mirrors. Can't disagree more

3 weeks later
#5349 1 year ago

So I've decided to stay with my AFMR classic. I put it up for sale b/c I loved the game but was thinking of getting SE. I ended up playing one and man - not to put anyone down as it's a gorgeous machine but that large display and speaker lights (but especially the large display) - something just doesn't seem right. Pixels are really large and it just didn't suite my tastes. I ended up pulling the ad and staying with the classic. I love how the classic looks like a restored original. I even went and bought a bally logo b/c I missed it on the speaker panel.

Such a good game.

#5352 1 year ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Good thing they made more than 1 version so everyone could purchase what suits them. I personally went for the LE because of the display and the topper. I love the speaker lights and have them on all my Stern games. People who come over and play AFMRLE are blown away by the graphics. But in the end it's all just based on what's your taste. The game play is still what makes this a top tier game no matter which model you buy. Enjoy your game.

agreed - can't go wrong with options.

#5357 1 year ago

That red looks great!

For those with shakers.... Are they worth it? I know original didn't have one and the see played I couldn't really tell.... Thoughts? Btw the se I played also felt different than my classic. Maybe bc it was routed and my classic is basically new....I would expect all machines types to feel the same right?

#5361 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Every pin will feel different.
It’s as simple as setup and wear as well as these pins are made my humans so they will be made a little different.
Take a car put one car with 20psi in the tires and one with 35psi in the tires they will behave different.
One car with new tires and breaks one with shot tires and brakes. One could conquer the world the other could be wildly unstable.
Every pin I’ve played feels different and if you own a pin you feel that is what it should feel like. I sold my CFTBL and said to my friend I think I should have not sold it, he had a different one he was about to sell so he gave me a temporary trade and I couldn’t play the game, though it was horrible nothing felt like the one I sold.

yeah I never really appreciated that until I played the SE. It's not flipper strength it was the feel of the game....good to know.

#5364 1 year ago

I just bought this. What a great idea b/c the VUK in this game stands out like a sore thumb!

Little expensive but whatever...

https://mezelmods.com/collections/attack-from-mars-pinball-mods/products/attack-from-mars-pinball-eat-at-eddys-building?variant=12220876619892

Will post some pics when it comes. Love how it ties in the eat at eddys like on the backglass.

#5368 1 year ago

that looks great

#5371 1 year ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

AFM or AFMr with shaker kicks ass realy adds to the game

when does the shaker go off in this game? When the ship is hit and explodes but anything else?

#5373 1 year ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Pretty much just the ship. Its kind of weak compared to sterns

ok that's what I thought. For 150 I'll pass.

#5376 1 year ago

The Shaker goes off all the time.
It's really well integrated into the game.
It's powerful, amusing and a must-have.
It adds a lot to the overall experience.
Most games have had them added over the years because the game is so much better with it. So much poorer without it.

wait - so does it go off more than just the center shot? Would you care to elaborate? I was told only center shot only (when gate is down).

#5378 1 year ago

If you have a chance to play a game that has a Shaker in it you will see what I mean.
Only then can you make an assessment I think.

not sure I understand. All I am asking is when the shaker goes off. Technically when does the motor go off? Is it JUST center shot or is it more?

I am not asking if the shaker itself makes enough of a diff.

You mentioned it goes off more than the center - if so when else? Just curious.

#5380 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Don’t look now but AFM currently number one pin all time in Pinside 100.
I’ve ordered my AFM LE somewhat impulsively, sure I’ve played AFM a good little bit, but not a lot. I’m going by the reviews and such, plus I don’t have any older pins and thought adding one of the better/best of the B/W pins would be good for my collection balance.
I think (from reviews) AFM is fairly/very shallow and seems to be a lot of hit the saucer shot, I’m curious to hear from the owners why such a simple pin seems to have pushed up past such others like TZ or TAF, TS which are around the same era but seem to have much more in the way of toys and maybe rules.

This game literally broke my pinball buying formula. It's simple in rules but something about it - especially the way it feels when playing it just makes it a winner for me. The rules are simple but have enough to keep things interesting and I'm starting to realize more rules doesn't mean a better experience.

#5389 1 year ago

Rai - it's very simple. Bigger is usually better but when the source material is pixels, that's not the case as the source (pixels) made to look bigger to stretch on a bigger screen (that it was never intended to be on) results in an odd picture (IMO).

Again IMO

Take a look at the bigger screen in person and compare it to the classic. They basically are stretching out the original pixels to fit the screen and to me it doesn't look great. At least it was enough for me to not value that large screen like someone saying would you want a 32 inch tv or a 65 inch - obviously you want the 65 inch but think about it like putting a NES game on a big screen vs CRT - it just looks a little odd.

I'm old school and really appreciate good video quality. I was never impressed with that large display simply b/c it was "large". They kept source as opposed to apply the HD smooth like on color DMD which would have looked SICK on this big display but large pixels? Sorry not for me. Classic is tight and the way it should be (IMO). I understand LE and SE owners that love it - god bless. Just not for me.

#5394 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't think the screen is stretched, if the hight and width is the same ratio you are not stretching anything if you have different diagonal size.
I agree it would look better if they re-did the graphics into a cartoon (Dragon's Lair style color).

I'm not talking about the redesigned art like you listed there. I'm talking about the pixels that are displayed during the majority of the time like the score, etc. Again not knocking it but they took the art that happens for certain actions (like extra ball, center ship explosion) and they redesigned those to look better. Problem is the static pixels that exist when you're just playing the game - they look totally out of place on the bigger screen b/c the screen is much larger. That is what I'm referring to.

The redesigned art looks great on color classic too (which is what I decided to do - keep classic and get color). Now I have redesigned pixels (which look great on classic.....if they went smooth art I would def got the bigger one but updated pixels - no...classic is good) AND the giants pixels you get during normal play/score don't look like an eye sore on the classic.....again IMO.

My question is if I get the shaker. I hear it's only center shot and then others say it's more. Seems like I can't get a straight answer.

#5397 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m not a fan of dots either. All my pins have color DMD and I put them on high res or smooth whatever that setting is. Much prefer they to dots but I know lots of people with color DMD that put on dots.
But it’s too bad they didn’t offer a choice of dots or smooth because I’d much prefer the cartoon look. My two cents.
I’m so excited about my new AFM it’s on the truck just in Kentucky now. Hopefully it’ll be arriving Friday but I’ve got no delivery notice yet.

agree with both you guys - Hi res no question and in this game it would have looked even better on that giant screen.

Game is great either way - small, large. You'll be happy. The game just feels great.

#5403 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Hires is built into the graphics on AFMR as they were all redrawn for the much much much higher res colour screens.

Not all of it was redrawn - half of it is still pixel style (see my earlier comments).

btw I installed the color on the classic yesterday and it looks great. What's odd is that the main saucer not displayed additional colors too. I might take a video as I didn't see any classic with color just SE and LE online

#5404 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

not sure I understand. All I am asking is when the shaker goes off. Technically when does the motor go off? Is it JUST center shot or is it more?
I am not asking if the shaker itself makes enough of a diff.
You mentioned it goes off more than the center - if so when else? Just curious.

Would appreciate if someone can confirm when the shaker goes off in this game. Something that would be great would be jackpot shots....I'm seeing varied responses would like more feedback thanks!

#5414 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

huh? no sorry but it was all_ redrawn.
It has to be so that the colours work and that it lights enough pixels
standard DMD is 128 by 32 - the screen resolution on AFMR is 1280x600
On some of the fonts etc they may have not been re-drawn well but that a different issue.
Look at my stream here with direct DMD input from AFMR:

MMR is same.
Neil.

Neil that is my point. Some/majority of the dots are blown up on the larger screen and look super pixelated. Not a good look.

I think that's what you mean by not redrawn well? I couldn't agree more.

Owning the color now, they did a fantastic job in the animated scenes. It's like a hybrid of pixels and hires. The rest doesn't look scaled in a similar fashion and comes off as ultra pixelated.

#5441 1 year ago

Congrats! Correct trim color choice as a bonus.

I go back and forth on which looks better. Black does look good but green stands out more. More unique.

#5466 1 year ago

You worry too much. Just enjoy your new LE!

man I was going to say the same thing. Rai - there is SO MUCH worrying. Buddy RELAX! Enjoy the game! It looks great!

People have opinions about everything. How does the game feel to you? To me, it feels amazing.

#5480 1 year ago

guys - what's the easiest way to adjust the VUK next to the right ramp (extra ball, attack mode, etc shot)? I want it to shoot more to the left. 1 out of 20 will go down the middle. Thoughts? I tried changing power on it.....

#5485 1 year ago

Loosen the 4 screws and twist it firmly to the left (counter clockwise) while tightening the screws.

thanks that helped!

#5493 1 year ago

so after playing some more AFMR SE I've learned to adjust to the bigger screen as the redone color looks great on it. I'll have to live with the blown up pixels I guess...the new color parts looks really good. Not sure I'm a huge fan of the smaller speakers but again, the new color parts (redrawn to not look like pixels) looks very good. They look good on classic too. Great game.

#5505 1 year ago

Why not put up a wanted add for a LE!

Great idea!!!

I absolutely love this game and decided i just want it all! haha

#5560 1 year ago

guys what's the name of the cord that I need to use that plugs into the service outlet plug inside the cabinet? It's a cord that connects to the service outlet and the other end allows me to plug a normal two prong power plug.

EDIT - I found it

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-19601-1

1 week later
#5643 1 year ago

nice - thanks for posting! Didn't read/hear about this

1 week later
#5691 1 year ago

anyway to make the display on the LE brighter or the call outs louder?

#5695 1 year ago

As far as the audio goes, there are some great audio adjustments in the menu to dial in the audio for more clarity.

where in the menu? CGC or standard?

#5700 1 year ago

In the CGC menu.
Page 10 in the manual, subwoofer settings.
Use left and right flipper to adjust the subwoofer presence.
Use this in conjunction with the bally volume adjustment in the other menu.
I have it set pretty much to my liking and everything is pretty clear and crisp.
I also wanted more bass in the martian voices, I think I have it set at +3 right now.
[quoted image]

this was really helpful. Now it sounds much better (it was -10 before)...

#5706 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I was one shot away from Total Annihilation never got that yet.

Total annihilation has great dots. Love that mode

1 week later
#5759 1 year ago

Really enjoying this game. I now have the LE b/c I was enjoying it so much and although I think it's the top tier version, that classic was damn good too. Love the topper on this and that green trim.

Something about this game - it's not complex but still somehow satisfying with just not a great shot layout but enough "modes" or things to shoot for to keep it fresh. Even the video mode is great - which I actually beat and was like get the __ out of here. I never beat video modes!

#5764 1 year ago

is that a defect or just wear? Looks very minor - try to wipe off, black paint, marker.

#5766 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I think tear in decal. Was shipped I suspect the strap was too tight?

Yeah - I was going to say the same thing. That looks like shipping wear. Good thing it's on the black! Welcome to the club Mike!

#5777 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

thx i’ll try a lite touch up. it’s in the black so hard to see

I was going to recommend the same thing. It doubt it will even be noticable...

#5784 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Honestly only reason I care is some day down the road when I sell, a pinsider will take a look and see it and want to knock $500 off the price

Yeah I hear that....

1 week later
#5819 1 year ago
Quoted from ctviss:

Thanks! I could have sworn I saw/read that there was a Mantis protector on the mothership hole, but I could be mistaken. Either way, I'll order a full set of Cliffys and install everything but the SOL ones unless I start to see wear.
I'm pretty excited about it! I debated a long time between the SE and LE (a place in CT has the Martian Green in stock) but it was hard to swallow the ~$700 price difference - the topper looks awesome but to me it's more of a novelty, and I could always add LEDs to the mini-saucers. $700 goes a long way towards parts and mods, or a third machine!

Can you add LEDs to the saucers? Not sure that's possible right now at least not for sale that I'm aware of. The LE will hold its value much better too . Just s thought

3 months later
#6233 1 year ago

just curious what flipper position is by default as I noticed some owners have them above the peg hole while others have the flippers cover the peg hole.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside