pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 PinGuy's links to unboxing and SOL potential issue. Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #5 SOL protector issue Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #73 LED info Posted by stpcore (6 years ago)

Post #145 Cliffy install info Posted by evh347 (6 years ago)

Post #149 Firmware 1.0.0 Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #189 info on using AFM cliffys Posted by GorillaBiscuits (6 years ago)

Post #357 Topper connector issue Posted by LTG (6 years ago)

Post #366 Image of Cliffy addition to scoop. Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Post #368 Cliffy install info Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bitpatrol.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1906 6 years ago

How do I prevent the glass from rattling when sound plays or the shaker enables?

Thanks!

#1910 6 years ago

Ok, I"ll use electric tape, thanks!

Also, is it normal for the ball to often hit the metal intake under the spaceship, causing the ball to bounce back out, not making it into the hole? I have a plastic playfield protector and am curious to find out if that is causing the ball to jump up a bit more often than it would usually.

Thanks

#1916 6 years ago
Quoted from abagwell:

YMMV, but I asked about glass rattling a while back. Some different kinds of tape on the top of the glass were suggested, but I realized that I had put my glass in backwards the last time I took it off. I flipped the glass around and the rattling stopped. *shrug*

Yes, I did flip it at one point... will try to flip it back

#1918 6 years ago

I'd never route my AFMrLE, BUT... I've been curious to find out how much one of these typically brings in at a busy location? I know it's difficult to tell, but I'm sure some have done this already and justified my purchase by convincing myself I could always put it out on the street to earn money if I ever needed the income? If it can make money, than I can justify buying more too.

#1923 6 years ago

The electrical tape seems to have worked.

#1925 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMarine:

Installed last week. Top right plastic protector would not fit under bumper. Talked to Pinbits and advised. The black screw holders in the outlane need to be flipped upside down to accomodate the protector. Also, the top screw for the far right plastic is too short for both plastic and protector. Had to remove the metal guide and remove the screw that glued in. Replaced with a longer screw and it worked.

Were you able to get the black screw holders flipped? I could not flip them on mine, as there were small tabs on the top of the screw holders. I had to trim the small tabs on the end of the screw holders in order for them to fit in the holes of both the original plastic and the plastic protector.

I also received a triangular shaped plastic protector with 3 screw holes in it, and cannot for the life of me find where it goes. Let me know if you got that piece too, as my 3 emails to pinbits have gone unanswered

#1937 6 years ago
Quoted from mpnox:

So I am getting a lot of airballs off the right ramp and hits the glass (if not down the shooter lane or elsewhere)
Lowering flipper power is a solution I know and I have lowered it a bit but is there any other way to solve this?
It is just the right ramp that is the problem. Sometimes I do get some airballs when I hit the ship in an attack wave but they never hit the glass.

I also get air balls when the gate is down below the mothership, and the target in front of the hole is also down. The ball will hit the metal scoop and either fall in behind it or bounces back out not making it down the hole. This seems to have started after I installed my playfield protector, but I also reset to manufacture'rs defaults which did change the game setup from when I first unboxed it. Maybe the flippers are set stronger now. ( I did the reset just after I isntalled the pp )

Should I try moving the gates up a bit when they are in the lowered position, so that it is more flush with the playfield/plastic protector? The ball does get hung up in that spot when the gate is lowered sometimes. After 10 seconds the gate comes up and the ball comes down, but not sure if that is also caused by the pp or if the gate lowers too deep, not being flush.

#1940 6 years ago

I've been wondering, what happens when 2 LEDs burn out? Is it possible to replace the LEDs using a soldering iron, or does the whole PCB need to be replaced for certain LED groups? I have not looked at it closely yet, but am curious to find out how replacing LEDs has been engineered.

#1945 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Each LED is actually 3 sub LEDs. If one of the 3 burn out, the remaining 2 brighten up to compensate.

Ok, what if the last one burns out too due to a bad batch of LEDs which does happen?

Quoted from whthrs166:

Yes this! I have installed quite a few PF protectors. Anything that comes up from the PF has to be level with the protector when its in the down position . There is an adjustment screw on the bottom the that unit. Just tweak it til the shield is flush with the protector. That's probably your air ball issue. I went through this with my CC and my TOTAN.

Perfect, I'll try that tonight!

#1947 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You have a couple options:
The non-technical option is to replace the board. Or find someone who works on SMD parts and replace all three. The LEDs are commonly available and inexpensive and would take moments to replace by a skilled technician with the right tools.

Oh, they are surface mount too Any idea what size SMD package? Is it possible to solder them by hand or is a microscope required? I'm thinking the way the LED is PWM'd to emulate an older style bulb may wear out the LED much faster than if just left on at a constant voltage which is how they are tested I think.

#1962 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Don't forget the launch button is used during video mode(kills everything on screen) and also Martian bombs.....

Where do I find a comprehensive list of features programmed? I did not see this feature you mention in the book I need to learn all the possible tricks!

#1967 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Sometimes when you shoot the Big-O-Beam, a cow is displayed and a female voice says: "Would you look at the size of that cow?!" and a moo is heard. 
Sometimes when you shoot the Tractor Beam, a cow is beamed up. (View animation).DOHO is also seen in this animation. 
Whenever one of these animations appears, hit the Launch button repeatedly for lots of mooing sounds. Do this for both of the ramps and then the next Video mode will be Cow Attack Video mode, where the 
saucers has been replaced with mooing cows.
At very rare occasions one of the saucers in Saucer Attack Video mode will be replaced with the number 3. The smart bomb (see below) has no effect on the "3" and nothing happens when it reaches the ground, it just disappears below the horizon. The programmers added this easter egg as a "homage" to a bug in the ST:TNG video mode which replaces the items in the tunnels with a "3".
Shoot the same Martian during Martian Multiball five times consecutively. Skull from No Fear appears saying "Again!"
Smart bomb: Press Launch button during Video mode to clear screen (works only once).
Tournament mode: Insert credits and hold both flipperbuttons for a couple of  seconds before you press Start. The display will confirm that the next game will be in Tournament mode (Stroke of Luck award
will always be 50M).
"Eat at Eddy´s" can be seen on the backglass (designer Brian Eddy).
One of the default names in the Buy-In Score list is MOO.
The woman on the backglass is the secretary who worked in the reception at the WMS factory.
In the DMD animation for the Atomic Blaster Hurry Up there is a road sign passing by. This sign reads DOHO.
During Attract mode, press the following sequence:
B, 18L, 1R, 3L, 1R, 6L, 1R. That spells RCF and shows the credits for Attack from Mars. 
AFM 1.13: 
2L + 1R + 18L + 1R + 5L + 1R ; Moo sound, replaces video mode (ball in lane) 
12L + 1R + 6L + 1R + 19L + 1R 
1L + 1R + 2L + 1R + 3L + 1R 
6L + 1R + 13L + 1R + 3L + 1R ; "18" (attract mode)
Enter the tag MOO in the high score list and a nice "moo" will be heard.

Thank you!!

#1980 6 years ago

I got the cliffys but could not get info. on installing them. Anything I should know before installing them?

Thanks!

#1985 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

The posts that have to be removed are in there really tight (for obvious reasons) Some of the guys have had to drive them out after the nut was removed. Just so you know.

Good info, thanks. What do you mean by 'drive' them out... do they strip or do you mean a power driver?

thx

#2001 6 years ago

Does anyone know where the cliffys go? I found a place for most of them, but where does the 'WMS-EJRT-Williams Bally right side under rail shooter eject' go? I see it goes on the shooter lane somehow...

These: http://passionforpinball.com/balleject/Right-side-ejects001.jpg

#2014 6 years ago

What balls should I get?

#2036 6 years ago

Has anyone installed a playfield protector AND a cliffy at the target hole below the spaceship? The pp overlaps the cliffy a bit, and it was recommended I put the sheet over the cliffy, but that would cause air balls due to the pp making a bit of a 'ramp'

Thanks

#2038 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Only cliffs needed is the SOL hole and 3 bank target imo

My pp covers the whole playfield so I would need to remove it, or cut the pp back a bit so it does not overlap.

#2041 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

A pp will not stop edge chipping. That’s were the main problem stems from. I can live with dimples

If i cut back the pp a bit, I could have the best of both worlds though... just wanting to ensure that is the right way to install a pp together with a cliffy.

#2050 6 years ago

How do I lower the target gate under the spaceshipt to adjust it? Do I need to manually trigger the targets or is there a menu?

#2055 6 years ago

UPDATE: I successfully installed the cliffy for the dropdown target under the spaceship, overlapping the playfield protector over the cliffy. No air balls at all, and I did not have to cut the pp.

#2064 6 years ago
Quoted from PDFVT:

Also added the protector under the Mothership as I started getting damage to the hole on the second day of play.

Looks good, but I don't see a playfield protector there. My playfield protector is a sheet covering the whole playfield, and when I tried to put the cliffy over the pp, it would not fit and the cliffy would bend and pop off if I let it go... Also, the pp does not go all the way up to the edge of the hole, so the cliffy can only partially cover the pp, which may be causing it to pop off.

I have my cliffy under the pp, and it works great with no air balls. I think having the pp over the edge of the cliffy helps smooth out the transition to the cliffy, as thin as it it. I'll be installing the rest of the cliffys later today!

#2069 6 years ago

I'm installing the cliffy under the mothership. How do I hammer out those posts? I am banging on them and they are not budging

#2073 6 years ago
Quoted from PDFVT:

Just to be clear took the rubber off but wasn’t worried about the scratches I put on the post

How do I put them back in after? Is it just as difficult to get them in? Thanks!

#2075 6 years ago
Quoted from PDFVT:

They went back in easily for me. I put a screw in so I wasn’t pounding directly on the post and used a rubber mallet to get them most of the way in. Then tightened them from below brining them back flush with the playfield.

Ok, I see what you mean for the screws.

I will try pulling the posts up with vice-grips. Should I grip on the post or the larger diameter bottom part of the post? I clamped them onto the post and tried to pull up and wiggle left/right but the post was torquing a bit... don't want to break it and also don't want to pull up hard, punch myself in the face and take 1/2 of the playfield top layer along with it

#2078 6 years ago
Quoted from PDFVT:

This contest involves beer so my descriptions may be degrading

Maybe I can have the Mrs. pull on my shoulders while I pull on the posts, resulting in twice the kinetic energy applied and the posts coming loose.

#2081 6 years ago

UPDATE: I successfully removed the posts, by wrapping the end of the vice-grips with electric tape and twisting the posts out. Same getting them back in, twisted them in. All good!

And if anyone is wondering if they should get cliffys, I would say yes, as there was already a bit of damage starting on the hole below the spaceship... caught it just in time.

#2083 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

How many plays on your game?

A few hundred at least

I also noticed there is already a metal protector on the out hole ( SOL? ) to the right of the spaceship. I'm guessing this is a 'mantis' type protector? I get it now, but do I remove the mantis in favor of a cliffy, or will the mantis offer excellent protection even though it does not cover the top of the playfield? I left the mantis style in there for now...

#2101 6 years ago

Roughly how much would the backbox weight if I slide off the glass and speakers? I'm curious in case I ever need to move it, I think it would be easier and less chance of damage if I remove the backbox...

#2109 6 years ago
Quoted from IonRay:

Ugh! Well at least its a little comforting that there's another out there.
Hope we get this sorted out soon, its starting to turn me off the idea of buying NIB pins.

I didn't understand why some would not want NIB, but now I get it... I think it's so hard for the manufacturer to get the build perfect with so many moving parts and test edge cases, it's up to the first owner to test/tweak it.

Do the NIB Stern pins also have these types of issues?

#2112 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Yep All manufactures do to some degree. These games used to go mostly to operators. They had techs or were techs and it was a commercial purchase so little cosmetic issues were not really a problem. Today home use market we are picky and want the machine to look and play near perfect right out of the box. (the way it should be in my book) But it takes some set up, adjusting and sometimes dependency on the manufacturer to get the game playing properly. I am sure CGC will get you straightened out and playing properly!

My #254 playfield #836 ran perfect out of the box with no issues. I did have to move the left and right outlane stoppers to the middle as they were not tight and had moved all the way up. I installed full cliffys ( kept mantis in SOL as I think it's better than the cliffy for that hole ), full playfield protector, felt lined metal washers for the legs, full plastic protectors set with not 1 scratch or blemish on it, not even on the cabinet/backbox. There was a loose ring, plastic washer and screw in the bottom of the cabinet when I unboxed it, but no parts were missing anywhere so they must have fallen in during manufacturing. I also have the shooter lane cliffys installed, was not that difficult with a clamp. Removing the pressed-in posts is actually super-easy with no hammering/tapping required, just vice grips with electrical tape around the ends to prevent scratching, removing the post rubber and gripping/twisting the posts out slowly with little force. Putting them back in was the same, super easy when twisting them in with a bit of force, but it nudges in slowly. I wore rubber gloves too while working on it too so no finger prints anywhere I used a digital level to adjust it perfect at 6.5 as the analog one that comes with it is off.

#2193 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Good idea, thanks! I'm thinking some mylar behind the 3 bank dropdown target too. I don't think there is anything there.

Which mylar do I get and where do I order it?

Thanks!

#2198 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

How’s this? I had this spare Cliffy. I think it’s usually used at the ball trough. If this doesn’t stay here I’ll let you know.

Very good idea. I'm starting to think of removing the mantis and putting in the Cliffys instead, and using my ball trough cliffy for the SOL as you have done...

#2252 6 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I went back from -22 to default as well - everything is fine except now about 3/10 times the sol pops out a weak ball and it goes STDM.
Annoying as it always ruins a good game in progress.

I set the flippers back to default. My guess is there is a chance the issue may be related to some kind of overflow bug that only happens randomly once in a while. Maybe the code that does the math ( deducting/adding power ) does not get run if set to default, so no chance if math error.

#2253 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I set the flippers back to default. My guess is there is a chance the issue may be related to some kind of overflow bug that only happens randomly once in a while. Maybe the math that causes the bug ( adding/deducting power ) does not get run if set to default.

#2268 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I don't see how this would alienate the customer base. The LE is a $700 up-charge (with an impressive list of upgrades over the SE). The topper is so elaborate, it's easy to imagine them charging $400-$500 (Stern's boring KISS pinball topper is in this range, and isn't nearly as impressive). If SE folks pay $500 for the topper, then LE customers "paid" $200 for all the other goodies on the LE (armor, blades, bi-color mini saucers, warranty upgrade, fancy medallion).
From my perspective, CG should have the freedom to do whatever makes sense for them and their customers. Kudos to them for the attractive pricing on the LE (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-an-le-that-feels-like-an-le).
snaroff

Sounds like you should have bought an LE, and that the LE with the topper, even at 1000 unit runs, is worth more than the non-LE or people would not be looking to upgrade their non-LE. If they decide to make it easy for non-LEs to become LEs, I won't ever buy one again, but I know they won't do that, since it would be tricking one set of customers into thinking they are getting something limited and exclusive, and then changing that contract.

#2273 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I purchased an LE and could care less if they sell the topper.
snaroff

You may not 'care', but for those who do, and paid the premium, it's important. If it's not important, don't buy an LE. Those of us who paid more for an LE took a risk, and if that risk means the value is more down the road cause people wanted an exclusive LE topper, than can buy mine.

#2276 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Maybe some more LE owners should share their thoughts....

It's simple though. Limited Edition means it's limited runs, period. You can't get make the same topper available to everyone after selling it as limited edition with a serial number without legal ramifications. They know that. If they don't want to deal with 'stomping feet', ( making something reasonable and legally binding sound childish ) than they should not make LEs.

#2280 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Playfield protectors are HORRIBLE, ruins the game play.

How so exactly? I installed one right away and gameplay has not been affected one bit from what I can tell... let me know I'm curious to find out how it does.

#2314 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

If CGC would have announced at the beginning that they were going to release the mini saucer lights for the se, I would not have ordered the le. I could have enjoyed the se for months instead of waiting for the le.
Now that I have had it for a while, and the wait is a distant memory, I don’t care. But if they had announced that they changed their minds on the mini saucers during the time I was waiting, I would have been mad enough to cancel the order.
The topper is cool, but it was the mini saucers and the powder coat that made me decide on the le.

good point. It should be different mini saucers and not the ones that came with the LE. That may be the case since we paid extra for 'metal finish' paint on the saucers. I hope we did not get snookered on the mini saucer kits being the exact same ones we got I realize some 'can't be bothered', but I was planning on getting all the remakes but recently opted for a TNA as my dealer would not budge on a price or provide any incentive even though I was repeat customer, referred a friend and expressed my interest in getting all the remakes with the same serial number. I recently found out I may not get the same serial number or there was nothing official so I bought the TNA instead of the MMr I was going to get until they release the next one... I just figured they have many guys like me lined up to pay $10,000 on a pinball, they must have lots of customers lined up if there was no wiggle room for any repeat customers or they can do stuff after the fact, like they did with MMr now that I think of it...

#2317 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I was under the impression that the price to the dealers were set so there was no room for negotiation. I could be wrong...

I don't think that is legal, but yeah, something like that. I think it's a problem if people get together to communicate in any way to agree on how much they will all charge for something... there is a law or something... but you are right, there was NO room, even a small repeat buyer's incentive. The good news is my TNA is going to be awesome, and I can play it by ear with the new remake release but not count on it as a sure thing. Here in Canada, the bread companies are giving back all customers $25 because they had all agreed to sell a loaf of bread at the same price and they got caught. ( just last week )

I don't mind paying a premium, but don't want to be forced to non-negotiate each time my serial number comes up if I purchase multiple units over time, essentially paying the same as a new customer that has not built up a relationship over time.

#2329 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Selling the toppers and led kit will do nothing to the resale of My le,I hope the others get a chance to buy anything they want for there games

Others do have a chance to buy anything they want, including one that is limited, or an LE.

#2334 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Exactly. The original B/W classics shot up in value because the supply was limited and many of these games were being restored for insane amounts of money (further raising the values). Assuming CGC is successful remaking/selling/supporting thousands of games, it's odd that folks purchasing them even worry about resale value. The resale value will be dominated by supply/demand, which CGC is in business to satisfy. As other folks have pointed out, 1000 LE's isn't that exclusive. Most NIB pins take a 10-15% hit when sold by the original owner. Will be very surprised if AFMr bucks that trend...topper or not.
snaroff

Most of us who paid for an LE don't care about resale value as we are not selling it, but what would be 'odd' is spending ten-K and not considering the resale value. I'm sure you do.
As you stated, the LE limits the supply ahead of the purchase, so making that supply unlimited after accepting money is just, well fraud. You obviously don't understand this, as you keep harping about getting stuff you did not pay for, stuff that came with the LE that you now want. I'm just protecting my purchase by voicing my opposition. We just care about getting what we paid good money for, an LE. You have an LE yet you still are attempting to punch a hole it its actual value, nice.

The fact that this question is being asked should be a flag to CGC that there is confusion around what it means to own a CGC LE. They should have a small blurb on their website stating exactly what their corporate policy is on this, for example, will any of the LE toys be sold as kits, including the topper, and which parts of the LE are guaranteed to be limited. Same with LE serial numbers, does the previous, LE buyer get first right of refusal on the next LE? I think having an LE is a no-brainer as some of us are looking for a more unique machine even if some consider 1000 to be a large number. CGC has disclosed ahead of time that only 1000 will be made which is fine with me, but the same consideration should be applied to the actual parts that make up that unit, including topper and min spaceships. In my opinion, CGC is skatting on thin ice with the release of mini saucer kits IF they are the same finish as the LE ones.

#2387 6 years ago

Which flipper rubbers are the best ones for me to get, and also, should I get better balls than the ones that came with it?

Thanks

#2394 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Everyone will give you a different answer. I personally like the feel of standard black rubber. I like the look of Titans, but find they feel slightly different, and not sure I like that. I put them on my MMR, and took them off after a few games.

Cool, thanks.

Another question: Those LEDs are soldered directly onto the PCB right? LEDs often fail in 'batches' so even if there are 3 LEDs running at 20%, if 1 goes, there is a chance all 3 will, and others on the game. I'm super-curious to find out exactly what the strategy is in replacing LEDs on remakes. I see PICs and other uCs being shipped to the customers, but will a full PCB need to be shipped if LEDs go out? Again, having 2 LEDs boost their power to make up for 1 failed LED in the group of 3 will not help, as often LEDs burn out due to manufacturing issues and not a 'faulty' single LED. The most important issue though is in the long run, the LEDs will expire at the same rate, so again, having 2 make up for 1 going out won't help, all LEDs will need to be replaced... This to me is a design issue that has not been cleared up, maybe because it IS an major issue and there is no good answer? Scott over at TNA made all his LEDs modular and replaceable. I've asked CGC with no answer.

#2403 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

The LEDs are surface mount soldered to the board. Don’t overthink this; lots of technicians in the world who can easily replace a surface mount component. If in the unlikely event that all theee burn out, buy new LEDs and have a qualified tech replace them.

The fact that replacing a burnt LED required a technician is a major design flaw. I am one of those go can work with tiny SMB, which is the reason I'm very concerned. It's actually a major deal breaker too, as other have mentioned, so if this is the case, and a technician is required to use special equipment to change a bulb, it will affect the bottom line for certain. Now that I know there is no reasonable answer to this design flaw, I will also stay away from getting any other remakes, and stick to getting a super-nice original.

#2406 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm fairly certain all of the new machines from Stern and JJP have this design point as well (DI photo below). Not defending it...simply pointing out the remakes aren't unique in this regard. Still think there are advantages of super-nice originals...but that's a deeper discussion.
snaroff

It's good to know it's not unique to the remakes, but I wish there was a better solution other than referring people to a qualified technician. I want something that I can keep and work on for years to come, and thought I had found that in the remakes. The good news is my attention is on my TNA which is all about being modular, but still would be into the remakes if there was not this flaw in the design. I'm not worried about the PCB or Pics as they pop right in, but it's just a nagging, unnecessary concern. I tried hard to be a remake collector.

#2409 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Why are you so concerned about this aspect? It’s not like owners are having issues with LEDs that need replacement. These are long life LEDs and should not need replacement in home use.

Is this not a legitimate question? Why should I not be concerned about this aspect, I just want to understand the logic that has gone into the design. Home use or route, they will burn just as much. At 8 hours per day, that is 15 years max life for all the LEDs in the pin. I guess that is far enough of a kick down the road for it not to be a problem today. Is what I mentioned inaccurate in any way? Most manufacturers claim '20,000' hours, but no 3rd party tests have been done, and the life of a good LED should be milliions of hours. The fact is, due to the cheap electronics coming from china, LEDs fail, and there are known cases of bad batches. My guess is this LED problem will surface sooner or later.

#2411 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I didn’t say it wasn’t a legitimate question. I feel that the risk is extremely low. I have my game in home use. These LEDs will likely last for decades. I don’t think that the LEDs are going to be an issue. There are FETs and other common through hole components that I feel will be an issue with this game (and all pinball games) in the long term because it’s Pinball and things happen!
I am sorry you felt I was doubting your question. Absolutely not the case. I am doubting that it’s a serious issue now, or that it would be hard to rectify later. It’s a beautiful game and it you wanted an AFM, this is a really great way to get one, especially with the LE upgrades.
I really should do a thread on how to SM solder; it’s not harder than through hole. But most folks around here feel that it is.
Marc

I'm curious, what do you base the lifespan on? There are so many factors involved, but most important I think is how the LEDs are driven. What if the glowing simulation actually puts more strain on the LEDs? For example, a bad PWM can kill flippers coils if not done right? I'm just wondering and asking and that is what I meant about not legitimate, or do not be concerned... I just like to base my findings on facts and have a tough time understanding how these LEDs won't be a problem. I realize the design cannot be changed, and that the LEDs will likely take years to fail in most cases, unless there was a bad batch.

#2413 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Fair questions. I simply cannot answer the testing aspect of it. Basing it only on a few factors, one of them being this lamp design is shared with MMR which has been robust and has been out for a number of years now. I don’t work for CGC and don’t see every issue, but I do see a lot on the forums and the lamps haven’t been an issue. Maybe it will be; but usually issues start to pop up as the games get quantity and that hasn’t happened at all with lamps.

Quoted from pintechev:

I didn’t say it wasn’t a legitimate question. I feel that the risk is extremely low. I have my game in home use. These LEDs will likely last for decades. I don’t think that the LEDs are going to be an issue. There are FETs and other common through hole components that I feel will be an issue with this game (and all pinball games) in the long term because it’s Pinball and things happen!
I am sorry you felt I was doubting your question. Absolutely not the case. I am doubting that it’s a serious issue now, or that it would be hard to rectify later. It’s a beautiful game and it you wanted an AFM, this is a really great way to get one, especially with the LE upgrades.
I really should do a thread on how to SM solder; it’s not harder than through hole. But most folks around here feel that it is.
Marc

Excellent points. I guess I just need to get my head around the fact that they are not bulbs and that for this design, not easily replaceable but like you said, other stuff will fail too, and I personally can fix a surface mount LED just as easily as a FET or other component, so I'm realizing this is not going to be an issue for ME, so I'm changing my mind I was putting myself in the shoes of someone who cannot fix it themselves and seeing it as a negative, but in reality, if many fail, I will be a plus for me really since I can whip out the small soldering tip and magnifying glass and fix it in 10 seconds. If there are used ones around in 15 years with burnt LEDs, I'll get a deal and fix them myself. Also, if newer/better LEDs come out in let say 10 years, I can upgrade them myself etc, so all good.

#2415 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

That’s a super good way to think about it. I just think you’ll love the game, it’s bright and beautiful and they just did an awesome job on it, plus AFM is perfect pinball.
Marc

It's my first pinball, and I really do love it. I play each day... I'm asking all this because I want to get more over the long run and the LED design was temporarily keeping me away from getting a MMr in Feb when they do a small batch. I know I sound like Cartman from South Park about the LEDs, but just was 'curious, kay'.

#2446 6 years ago

It must be tough manufacturing these things and getting everything perfect. I can imagine just getting good reliable workers who have patience and attention to produce quality products is easier said than done. Maybe they should have 1 reliable quality assurance worker going over an inspection checklist before boxing, taking 1 or more pictures above and bellow the playfield of key areas, signing and dating the inspection checklist and including a copy in the box. It would save CGC time and money in support for sure.

#2468 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I haven’t had any chipping, flaking or damage from the balls at all anywhere. The only cliffy I have is on the mothership hole I only added Mylar in a couple of high wear areas (targets and SOL inserts)
Don’t really care for the look of cliffys everywhere.

Maybe the best approach is to monitor for damage and add a cliffy as soon as any shows. I saw a bit under the mothership, and a tiny bit in the shooter lane so I installed those. I don't see any damage anywhere else so far... would like to turn down my flippers though as it's hitting a tiny bit hard.

#2476 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

utter nonsense.

Yeah, it makes no sense at all I think I hit a nerve.

#2502 6 years ago

I was not notified by anyone that my AFMrLE had defective flipper firmware, and when I opened a ticket, I was told my dealer should have contacted me. Did anyone else get overlooked when it came to being notified of the flipper default setting? Are there any other notices I should be aware of? My dealer was Player One in Canada.

#2505 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Me too. I have the fix incoming but would have had no idea without Pinside.
hey don't care. I just opened the 3rd ticket asking why I was not notified and they close it. Last CGC for me. New one anyways. I really tried hard to be a fan, but too many warning signs to stay the hell away from all this B.S. and spend my hard earned money differently. I was convince spending a premium with Player One was better than spending my money with 'a guy sitting in his basement in his underwear'. I bit. Next time, I deal with the underroos g

UPDATE: I just got a call from Doug at CGC, and he said I should have received it from the dealer. I can't blame Doug, he has enough on his plate, but damn, it is frustrating as hell finding out about stuff in forums and not the dealer I spent money with.

#2507 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Wow, your experience the exact opposite of mine; zero BS.

Did you get the notification email from Player One?

#2529 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

But whining aside... I love this pin, by far, more than any other. Even my wife and kids who really don’t like pinball like and play it. I’ll play around with the lock bar more but at least I figured out how to lock it even if unconventional. Next up is the doing the ramp bend.

I don't think anyone is whining ( sounds childish )... most of us are super-into this and are on a mission to perfect... so all the 'negatives' come to light and get dealt with that way. How do you know something is the best unless you try to punch a hole in it? If it was all sunshine and lollipops, the quality and design would never improve, so all the 'complaints' is actually valuable feedback companies used to pay focus groups for. If someone does not care, they won't give strong feedback and demand more. ( supply and demand ). The worse thing that can happen is people lose interest, and that won't happens anytime soon by the looks of the posts

Quoted from Miknan:

Its not a design flaw. It a modern design. When have you seen anything but smd led around? even the 555, 88, 89 and other bulbs are smd. The ancient bulb holder has its own flaws. If you are electronically inclined and are current and you cand do surface mount stuff then you are not an electronics tech. I remember the days of carbeurators and no emiision control systems life was easy for this mechanics too.

I would love to see laptops today or even cell phones for that matter if they did not use smds. Its here its now. If you want difficult then just think BGA. All kinds of specialized expensive equipment required and experience. Those leds are easy.

The TNA are having LED problems. Having a way to swap out LED 'pods' is what I had in mind, not reverting back to legacy style LEDs. The future is modular.

#2571 6 years ago
Quoted from eagleeyemma:

Has anyone of you ever bought a new vehicle? I have and there were recalls and etc. It's expected and afm le had some problems but cgc was right on the ball. Totally pleased with cgc and the pin.

yes, but some of us were never notified to stop playing at -20 flipper power. It's like buying a new car, not getting the recall notice, and being told by the manufacturer that the dealer is responsible, but the dealer not sending the notice or stating the manufacturer was responsible. Everyone expects mistakes, but we need stuff like this improved upon so feedback is the best medicine. Maybe your dealer did their job, but some of us bought from the BIGGEST dealer and got f-all.

#2598 6 years ago

If someone wants a 4 pin collection, does it make sense to get AFMr, MMr and Monsterbash, since those are all very similar in playfied ( fan ) Would it make sense to get more of a variety for the 4?

#2601 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I have a 4 pin collection. My games are AFMr LE, MM, CCC, and SS, I am seriously thinking about a MBr to add. I do not plan on going any larger than that.
I really don't understand why people say the games are too much alike. I personally think they compliment each other and find myself playing all 4 equally.

I realize it's up to me, and that I will have fun no matter what games I get, but I wonder, would the similarities between the 3 of the 4 pins not justify getting something like CCC or TNA instead of something very similar? I"m thinking the top list is not the best gauge of what to get for a small collection.

#2608 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Here is suggestion, Maybe have 3 that are bolted to the floor and have a pivot game. So maybe MM, MB, AFM. Then get one like GB or ST or Hobbit or maybe an older Williams like Champion Pub or NGG. The pivot game you play for awhile then move it on for something else. Keeps variety and you have your core collectors.

i like it!

#2636 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Yeah this is really confusing. Wonder why some dealers are all over it and some are clueless?

we need a system

#2639 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Noticed decal starting to peel. Should I put some sort of glue or something over it so it doesn't get worse?

wow, that sucks man... I sure hope mine does not do that It it a home use only? Did you hammer on the thing to wear-tear it?? It looks like it hit a corner of a door while being moved or something...

#2642 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Looks like cab is starting to separate also at the joint like some stern pins were?

I have a TNA coming and was debating not getting the butter/clearcoat finish, but now that I know the stuff can peel, I'll go with the butter... CGC should offer clearcoat cabs!.. unless having clearcoat cabinet is a bad idea?

#2646 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If the cab is separating at the joint (as it looks like in that pic) clear is not going to stop it and may make the cracking and peeling worse. But this is a good example of why wrap-around cabinet stickers are a bad idea.

I just checked my cab, and it's cracking just like that, but not as bad yet, but starting for sure. I'm not sure I'm willing to accept that.

#2649 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Noticed decal starting to peel. Should I put some sort of glue or something over it so it doesn't get worse?

It's interesting that mine is cracking exactly the same way, with that small white crack near the black rail showing now. I've turned off my shaker for now.

#2659 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Cabs have been cracking like that from every manufacturer for a long time. Very easily avoided. A drop of wood glue in the top where the two sheets of plywood meet stop it straight away.

Where else should I apply wood glue?

#2663 6 years ago

We only put a drop (outdoor wood glue) in each front corner and push it in with your finger. If it is cracked all the way down, keep pushing in the glue until you can see it all the way down the crack. You can wipe all the excess of with a moist rag. Saves a lot of heartache. Replacing a cabinet does not take a few minutes. Usually the cabinet splits there because the leg bolts are done up too tight and/or the glue was missed in the corner and or the ply s are coming apart.
Good luck!

ok thanks!

#2671 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I’m not sure what’s going on with these cabinets, It’s woodworking 101. Not sure what kind of a joint they use, should be tongue and groove, which if done correctly, nailed and glued, is very strong and stable. Sounds like they may have starved the joint of glue. Both sides of the joining surfaces need to have glue on them. If done right, the glue becomes stronger than the wood.
Not to worry, it’s a simple and cheap fix. For those with an issue, I’d suggest using yellow gorilla glue or titebond 2 glue (available at local hardware store) and use a bar clamp to bring the wood back together. Protect the decals from the clamp with a towel or something else. Not too tight on the clamp, just enough to bring it back in, you don’t want to squeeze all the glue out. You could also use a band clamp around the entire cabinet to bring it back together. Let the clamp stay on for 24 hours, should be fine after that.

I"m not doing that to my new $10,000 machine This should have been done, and is the responsibility of the manufacturer if not done correctly. I'll check mine in the next couple of days when I have time ( doing this for funzies ) but man, this could be a problem if they are splitting and my decals are already damaged. This is 101 woodworking for sure. If the joints were starved of glue, it will never be possible to get the same glue surface area coverage as would be possible if done before assembling the pieces.

#2677 6 years ago

I don't want to do a quick fix without calling them first though, so I'll open a ticket soon.

#2744 6 years ago
Quoted from eagleeyemma:

So my wife was vacuuming and she accidentally hit the cab. What's you guys suggestions on how to fix this.

double-you-tee-eff. 'accidentally'

#2805 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I dispute that claim. PVA glue, also know as yellow glue such as Titebond is incredibly strong, so much so that the glue is stronger than the wood itself. By that I mean, if the joint is subjected to stress the wood around the joint will break before the joint at the glue line. PVA glue has been around for quite some time and has a proven track record. Even if the glue used in the 80’s and 90’s was stronger it wouldn’t matter since PVA is already stronger than the wood so you don’t benefit from a stronger glue. Failures in cabinet joints comes from poor construction at the outset not poor glue. For example, if the joint didn’t get enough glue or there was insufficient clamping pressure or it is an ill-fitting joint to begin with.

Also, is there not a benefit in having decals over silkscreen? It's easier to replace/fix a decal no?

#2823 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's about where mine is at. Many many games and not chipping. I added the mothership cliffy since I knew that area would get abused. No others added and no chipping I can find anywhere else. I do have the center drop target cliffy, I just don't like the way it looks there. I must have been lucky to get one of the early units and have not had the issues described here aside from the launch issue. That was corrected by leveling the plunger.

I had a bit on the shooter lane where the ball pops out. I added the 2 cliffys that go there and it's good.

1 week later
#2947 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Just got word from my dealer that the PIC 2.0 is headed my way. So far very impressed with the way this has been handled.

Still no word from my dealer, no email nothing... Next time, I buy from Tommy at Nitro.

#2959 6 years ago

My Pic2.0 went out to me today UPS! Will receive by end of week.

#2972 6 years ago

Got my Pic2.0 by UPS today! Thanks Jerry at Player One!

#2980 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wouldn't unplug it. Just be damned sure it's turned off.
Plugged in and turned off helps ground things so you don't accidentally send static electricity into the game.
LTG : )

Would the ground not just attract a spark to one of the chips even if it's grounded through the power supply?

I need to remember to use my static guard wrist band when I work on it, as I completely unplug mine when working on it...

#2998 6 years ago

I thought my metallic saucers were going to be metal... but realize metallic does not necessarily mean made of metal... are they supposed to be plastic?

#3000 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Yes. Like the original.

ah, ok then, I like original

#3002 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Thanks to Adam at P1 for getting this out to me pronto.

I have not had time to look at my package yet... Do I just power down, put on my wrist-static-band, pull the old Pic and push in the new one?

#3076 6 years ago
Quoted from chatplume51:

hi i would to buy one AFMR this year but i hesitate between an origianl game in very condition and a new game.
What is the real change with these two games ?
Thanks for your answers

I"m still not clear on the benefits of getting an old one... older parts, damage, more work, fewer features all for the same price? Maybe if the older one was less than 1/2 the price of a new one, I would consider an old one. I think some may 'feel' they own something vintage with the older one, but it's like saying an old Ferrari is better than a new one... Also, as soon as you start modifying the old one, it's no longer a real 'vintage' it's like an old car with lots of kit stuff..

#3086 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Thank you yours is flawless. Will contact them early next week. Probably call my dealer first. That has been my only grip with the AFMr remakes and looks like not all have the issue. Swapping playfeilds though is not fun. What have others done on the chipping issues that were posted previously? Did they send you a populated playfeild or just get a new one and make you sign a non disclosure agreement to stop talking about it. Don’t want to swap and new one do the exact same thing though. I have been waiting for full Jury verdict on remakes and still have original too. One will go eventually.

If they did make him sign a non-disclose agreement, we will never know!

#3090 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

I was not aware it is common. I own 26 games and have owned many more in the past. So is no one having issues with the planking? Many of us were calling vertical lines until I started seeing small splits. I counted 4 yesterday on this other machine. As my NIB came like it I know many others like the one I posted yesterday. Maybe it is dryer climate thing. I have never had it happen to another new game. I have bought used games that happened too prior to me buying but I assumed next to a/c are something. Love to know this answer as I assumed this was all the AFMr’s.

What is your playfield number?

#3095 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm curious, have you ever owned a B/W original? The car analogy is ridiculous on many levels.
snaroff

To go along on the car analogy, some older guys did not like that the new Ferrari had fuel injection as they could not work on it as easily, and were skeptical on how reliable this new design would be. Same with on-board computers and automatic transmissions. An extreme car analogy would be the newest high-end BMWs. Very few mechanics can work on a newer BMW, even changing a mirror is super-complex, and may involve replacing large multi-purpose parts instead of fixing the parts. The mirrors are partly built-into the panels and doors, so you can't just replace a mirror on a new BMW, but you can on an old one. I think there is a sweet-spot there in between, which brings me back to making sure the LEDs are modular on the remakes.

#3123 6 years ago

I do not like chipping either however the market has forced playfield manufacturers to use extra coats of clear on their playfields. This makes chipping a lot worse on newer machines than older ones. My solution is Cliffys in all the areas of concern before you plunge a ball. No issues then. You cannot blame the manufacturer for chipping.

Is it even possible to clearcoat a playfield in a way that chipping will not happen around holes? I can see using a harder wood for the playfield making a big difference for dimpling... but at one point, does it not just become a polymer/plastic playfield if you have so many coats of a clearcoat mix which can handle chipping?

#3126 6 years ago

I am no playfield or clear expert, maybe some of the playfield guys can chime in and help out. What I do know is that since the playfield manufacturers have been putting on 3 coats of clear is when all the chipping started. We have been in the hobby a long time and never saw much chipping on any machine before GB. We have been fitting Cliffys on everything since then. AFMr was no exception. A full set of Cliffys went on before we plunged a ball.

Maybe the chemicals the used years ago are not longer 'legal' to use or not considered environmentally friendly... seems to me making something very durable may involve toxic materials of some type, but as you say, maybe some experts can chime-in.

#3134 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Ron is a collector quality clear coat guy. He is the most extreme example of perfection that you can get. No production game should be expected to hold the standard. And if it did, it would be much more expensive.
I am sorry; you can not compare them. They aren’t comparable.

I'm not sure why it would be so much more expensive to use good, dry, solid wood, and a good quality clear coat that won't chip too easily, like Ron does.

#3136 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Ron doesn’t use dry wood; he clear coats already produced playing surfaces. And he takes MONTHS. He’s amazing, but we are talking OCD here; I love my Ron coated CV and do not get me wrong, but the clear on my AFMr is really very nice.

Do you mean he lets the clearcoats dry for weeks at a time, totalling months when combining each coat? I can see spraying the clearcoat takes a few minutes, but the drying/curing may take time. So the extra cost would be storage while they cure? What other costs or efforts go into making them as good as Ron's?

#3143 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Yes to a point. I did not put a cliffy on my SOL 400 games in no chipping or damage. There is at least one operator that a has posted 2000 plays with no chipping. I installed a cliffy on the mother ship hole, but thats it. I have no chipping. What we have here is an issue with one or two games. There is some planking, some chipping, some sand scratches on different games. They just need to be looked into and handled by CGC.

what are the playfield numbers on the good ones?

#3145 6 years ago

If anyone posts pictures or issues with a playfield, maybe include the palyfield number so we can determine if the issues originate from a bad series of playfields.

#3149 6 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

I have a October built Classic with playfield #307 of 1015 and am very happy to say i have no chipping or planking however i did get one with the skin toned instead of orange .Yes it wont affect game play but probally will take a hit on resale

Where do we check for the skin tone color?

#3152 6 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I personally like to use my genitalia as the catalyst - but only after a fresh wax. Lay it between the flippers and if it's a close match (I'm caucasian) you probably have the dreaded flesh tone PF. If you've been eating cheetos before handling yourself, and then lay it down, and it matches - you have an accurate reproduction.

this is a bit odd no? I guess you're the "that's what she said" guy in here... ( the guy that makes dick jokes around other guys )

#3172 6 years ago

Is there a list being compiled of all known issues with AFMr?

#3176 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

The ones i have heard about:
Plastic crazing
Playfeild inserts crazing
Warped playfeild
Playfeild clear chipping
Playfeild Planking
Wrong screened colors on playfeild
Solenoid power settings and boards burning up (pic 2.0) is the fix
Premature playfeild wear
Topper interaction issues (now fixed)

Also, the cabinet decals cracking

#3177 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

There is some misinformation here.
CGC produces playfields and cabinets in house. Stern assembled the original MMRs with CGC parts. Stern did assembly and test, nothing more. For AFMr, CGC continued to produce playfields and cabinets in-house, and they assembled them in their own factory
Plastics, metal and other components are are not produced in-house (just like Stern), they come from part suppliers and are assembled on the games in the factory. CGC only makes playfields and cabinets, and that is consistent through MMR and AFMR. I fail to see how the place of assembly would lead to more playfield chipping issues, etc when CGC was in control of their playfield manufacturing process the entire time throughout both games.
As for the plastics, looks like the supplier had a run with some ink crackling, if you have a set that looks bad, CGC has been replacing them. Thankfully changing out plastics is pretty easy
This place amplifies issues in an unnatural way. There’s more than 1,000 AFMrs out there and something like 1,500 MMRs out there. These forums still do not amount to more than a small number of issues per thousand games shipped, which is a pretty solid batting average.
If you have an issue, contact CGC and talk it through with Doug; he’s a good dude and has been helping out folks with excellent support.
Marc

To be fair, I would not have ever found out about the defective solenoid code and Pic2 was it not for this forum. CGC or my dealer never contacted me. I was contacted only when my Pic2 was shipped, and inquiring myself. I could have damaged my game, and not known for a while as the coil may not have burned out fully. I did notice my left flipper acting a big weird since I first got it and did not realize it could have been the code. I'm now interested in doing a full quality control inspection of my game, looking over every part which may have caused issues for other, so that not only can I get these issues resolved under warranty, but also uncover issues now that may go unnoticed until the warranty has expired.

#3186 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

The PIC is a good example of where this forum was a great way to communicate. I subscribe to cgc_dougs and get notified when he posts which is a good way to stay informed of important things related to the remakes.
As for a full inspection, I wish you luck. I personally think the best way to go is to play your game and see what shakes out. While you could do a component level validation, in-system testing is probably the better way to go.

Luck for what? I just thought having a simple list of issues will help guys like me who spent all kinds on this thing only to find out there are a bunch of hidden unknowns over and above what someone would usually have to deal with on a brand-new game. I did not know before I purchased this pinball that the payfield would chip so easily, I was sold the idea that AFMr was one of the best if not the best out there. I did not expect my cabinet decals to start cracking, I was sold that CGC has been making cabs for years and not to question the quality. It was the most expensive machine. I did not expect to get left out of the loop on major issues, specially after my dealer would not budge on the price and justified it as "not dealing with a guy in his basement in his underwear". I did not expect to have to resort to taking time out of running my business to investigate and gather information to put my mind at ease that I have not overlooked or missed issues which a seasoned pin guy would see. I can go on and on, but the fact is, I bought a TNA instead of a MMr. At this point, I would not buy another remake from CGC.

#3189 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I think we should give CGC a chance to resolve the issues before we pass judgment. Yes I know we should not have had to deal with this for the cost. But CGC has shown the willingness to address the issues in a timely fashion. Play field issues stink period. Planking on a new game seems ridiculous! But it happens and it really depends on how it is handled by the CGC. I look forward to buying the next remake but if people are going to get stuck with a playfield with planking, chipping, warping or sand scratches, I will spend my money on a nice original or something else.

I have a skin tone playfield instead of orange... Should I open a support ticket?

#3226 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Took me a few days to respond to this, sorry for the delay, work got busy. I wish you luck in enjoying your game. That’s it. It’s supposed to be fun and I hope that you can find the joy in it. These days when there’s always something to get upset about in the world, pinball *should* be that tiny pocket of happy that reminds us to have fun. The idea of going through a game looking for issues just doesn’t sound like anyone’s idea of a good time.
You have an LE with a solid warranty and you have a company who is standing by that warranty and a dude in Chicago (Doug) who is going out of his way to help when things come up. So, I think you should play your game and if something comes up, get it fixed.
Marc

Why do folks confuse reporting issues with a product as somehow being 'upset' or unhappy with life, or need to be told 'just have fun man! don't worry so much about it'. That is what you would tell a child... Also, how do you know what everyone else's idea of a good time is? how could you possibly know what others want or are thinking? I personally have a blast troubleshooting and striving for perfection. What sucks is not getting straight answers, for example; "Where do I find official notifications for my AFMrLE?"

#3274 6 years ago

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I installed a full playfield protector when I got my AFMrLE a few months ago, and will leave it on. ( total newb move I guess, but I"m leaving it on to protect ) Will any of the playfield issues show themselves even though I have a PP? Like crazing or other issues... I'm thinking maybe I'm masking issues by not playing on it, and am thinking maybe I should find out before the warranty runs out.

Also, I have a blast playing the pinball machine, but I guess I really suck since I never put in my initials. I thought I was doing great with all the lights and sounds effects going off, but not so much... Is there a strategy I should start implementing to get a decent score?

#3279 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Leaving the PP on is a mistake. They should be banned...
Learn to play from a master...
http://pinballvideos.com/v/301
snaroff

yep, that video did the trick

#3282 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

If you do not have any pf issues now then I would not worry about them showing up under a pf protector. Protectors are controversial on here. (some like em so don't for different reasons) I have one on my CC and it plays just fine, but I don't have one on any of my other games. So don't let anyone try to super impose their opinions on you about protectors. You make the choice if they are worth it or not.

I did notice some like and some don't.. I'll leave it on, but the second part of my inquiry is how I'll know if the playfield will show issues if/when I remove the playfield protector outside of the warranty period.

#3315 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I don't like any cover on my playfield. It's a personal opinion and I think that all opinions are just that. Opinions. Myself included.
I can see people wanting them. I do enjoy playfield perfection.
I'm going to start watching thier placement in the field. Also I bet covers are important when routing pinball.

yes, and having the playfield protector allows me to enjoy the game more, since I can 'play the heck out of it, and just have fun!' without worrying about damaging the clearcoat. I was really hammering on it yesterday when I was able to shoot around the left orbit not twice, but three times and pulled my knee out a bit in the process... I'm a newb too so I don't know what it's like without the pp so if one day I remove it, it will be a bonus if there is a huge improvement.

#3338 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Don't blame you a bit for feeling like that. I believe this issue is whats driving people to just pick up a nice original or a different game. I am on the fence right now on purchasing another remake. I was planning on getting a MBr but with the playfield issues the originals had, I can't say I can count on CGC to remaster that game. That pf needs serious remastering (improvements) otherwise it will do the same thing the original did. Now the clear coat seems to be a problem. I restored a MB I know what needs to be done to that pf to have a reliable machine. The originals had warping problems too. That game will need a real solid clear coat system to go the distance. Especially around the Drac Trac! Of course you could buy one and buy a pf from Micro and just throw it in there from the start. Or buy a pf protector and put it on right out of the box.

I installed a full pp from band-new, and will keep it on. If the playfields do end up being a problem over the next year, I'll still have 6 months or more to ask CGC to give me a deal on the new playfield they potentially will have with a new clearcoat etc. I'll have my pristine 'original', which I will remove and replace with the new one. Worse case, my AFrLE have a full pocket protector, I mean playfield protector for life.

#3343 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Some have issues that have been resolved, some have no issues, some have issues that haven't been resolved. There are individuals that are posting that have no issues and there are individuals that are posting that have issues and there are individuals that have issues that are not posting! What is posted here is just a small sample of what is really happening.

Does anyone have a well used unprotected AFMr playfield with no chipping? It would be good to hear about success stories, so we know there are in-fact some examples of very durable and well clearcoated AFMr. We know to expect dimpling right?

#3345 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Not a single issue. Got mine early in August and have played it a lot. No edge chipping or any other issues.

what about under the mothership? Do you have cliffys there?

#3364 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I don’t. And if I did, I would disclose it.
I would love to work in the pinball industry; sounds like fun.
And if you’d like to inspect my games that I paid full retail for, please do.
Edit: I wrote the how to update firmware guides and gave it to CGC because they are a PC shop and have no idea about Mac and I’m pretty passionate about Apple and wanted to help fellow Mac folks who are into pinball. I wrote it as a Pinside post first and gave them a PDF for their own support since the work was already done.
I did it because I wanted to, not because someone asked me.

If you would be willing to share your playfield serial number, that would be a huge help since I think there is a relation to when each one was manufactured to the types of issues. My playfield is 840 something ( I'll check again ) and there was a tiny bit of chipping under the mothership before I put on the cliffy ( tiny tiny bit ) and also a very tiny bit ( just enough to notice ) on the shooter lane before I installed that cliffy too. I don't see any chipping at the SOL and have not put the cliffy there yet and am keeping the mantis. I don't see any damage anywhere else.

#3366 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Would be happy to. I’ll check when I get home tonight.
I’m not against Cliffys and if my game started to show damage and I would put a cliffy on (as I did with my TAF; tried to avoid it and the realized I needed it). But I would rather keep the game the way it was designed.

If you can, take a pic of the hole under the mothership and the shooter lane so everyone can see there are in-fact examples of durable clearcoats on AFMr. The SOL on mine is not chipping and I just have the mantis that came with it.

#3368 6 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Just recieved the V2 chip today and it's now installed but the screen still shows V1.
Anyone have any input on this ?

that is normal I think. The firmware on Pic2 was updated, not the game software I think...

#3405 6 years ago

I'm still not convinced it's even physically possible for a clearcoat not to chip around the holes, that is why I wanted to see a picture of a playfield someone claimed is not damaged around the holes after a couple of thousand plays. I can see a polymer of some kind being durable enough ( tupperware ) but having it 'clear' and perfectly see-though makes it more brittle. If anyone knows of a playfield from any pin that has withstood a couple of thousand games, post a pic so we have a 'bar' to compare too.

#3409 6 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Ordered a complete set of the updated pieces.

You are missing the shooter lane one

#3413 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

There is damage! Wait until 6000 plays and compare to original. This game is less than 6 months old. It appears you are just one of the people that are willing to accept manufacturing issues no matter how bad. Yours will get worse and worse not better. You have to add a cliffy on the mother ship hole look at every original.

Do you mean manufacturing issues as in they clearcoat can be improved? I'm thinking the more layers of clearcoat, the easier it will 'chip' on the edges, and the only remedy is metal cliffy type protectors. I'm interested to see an example of a pinball which has a long-lasting clearcoat that does not chip on the edges... I'm no chemist but I think the fact that the clearcoat needs to be transparent makes it much more brittle in its properties.

#3416 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

I agree the thicker the more it chips on the Churchill ones. No I meant the array of issues we are all seeing can be improved. I think they need a thiner clear coat like the orginal games. However Kruzman and HSA restores clear coat fields don’t do it. They are doing something different. They hold up. Even when you send them a remake playfeild that they remove the clear. I think it is the curing time between coats and the product they use.

Could it be that Kruzman is able to use chemicals/clearcoats that are not allowed when meeting EPA for manufactuing/getting insurance etc.? It's possible some paints/clearcoats fumes are more toxic than others.. and maybe CGC is 'greener'... i don't know

#3421 6 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Agreed. Reading these posts is tiresome. Enough is enough. Enjoy your game, sell your game, don't buy the game. Let the chipping posts go away.

Why do you want the chipping posts to go away? The clearcoat takes the most wear, and many of us want to fully understand everything there is to know about it. If not this forum, where do you suggest we chat about this? What needs to stop is folks answering valid technical questions with "be happy you have a game, just have fun, shut up, and have fun, but don't ask those questions, focus on having fun, and being happy and not worrying about all the world's problems"... I don't think it helps and seems to be a distraction from the discussion some of us are happily having in this forum, and you may be miss-reading an honest and open discussion as folks being unhappy...

#3436 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

In a work environment, I guess I can understand the wisdom. In social media land, I'm not so sure I see the virtue. If "going your way" means convincing others of anything, then I'm afraid you are setting yourself up for disappointment (or a bloody forehead
fwiw, the continual drone of PF chipping and dimpling is very tiresome. Folks that lose sleep over this should probably find another hobby.
snaroff

I don't think we are losing sleep, just some of us are using this forum to learn things more experienced folks such as yourself have gone over to your satisfaction at one point on your own schedule. I'm sure you needed to ask the very same questions being asked here to come to a logical conclusion about how much chipping is expected, and if everyone told you to go away and stop talking or thinking about it, you would not have the knowledge to think you can convince others they are wasting time looking for the same answers.

#3437 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I don't think we are losing sleep, just some of us are using this forum to learn things more experienced folks such as yourself have gone over to your satisfaction at one point on your own schedule. I'm sure you needed to ask the very same questions being asked here to come to a logical conclusion about how much chipping is expected, and if everyone told you to go away and stop talking or thinking about it, you would not have the knowledge to think you can convince others they are wasting time looking for the same answers.

Also, if you provide answers, it may be more helpful if you provide justification and not just "playfield protectors should be banned" etc... without backing up with any details about why.

Oops, did not mean to double post

#3452 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I think that’s fair. It’s one of those short fuse subjects that if you’re in the hobby for a while it’s hard to start from the proper place. So for that, I certainly apologize if it came across short.
My point remains, this is part of the hobby. And is preventable with products out there made to prevent it.
And we muddle on.
Marc

I think it boils down to 'compared to what'. I'm ok with chipping, I don't see how it's possible not to have any with any clearcoat, so I"m on board on all this stuff... the only thing missing is a 'best of' example of a playfield that has withheld the test of time with no chipping... ( I ask assuming there is no such thing )

My conclusion was to protect everything including full playfield protector, and either leave that on forever. No chipping

#3455 6 years ago

I'm a bit scared to ask, but why not leave the clearcoat off, and use the same type of plastic used for full playfield protectors instead?

#3464 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I would have told them this "If you aren't going to include the mats, I'm just not going to buy the truck."

He should at least offer the mats as a billable option, since the customer would most likely want mats.

#3487 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Many of us aren’t having clear coat issues but other planking issues. Cliffy won’t fix anything.

What causes this planking? Is it from impact, or would this start appearing even if the playfield was sitting idle with no use?

#3490 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

It's not planking. It looks more like poorly prepped wood was painted. That's what it would look like if it wasn't sanded perfectly smooth before painting.

So this issue would show up right out of the box right?

#3493 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

It is planking as they are starting to come apart and open. I think it is the dry climate as all the ones I can see in Colorado are doing it. Had two friends sell theirs cause of it. We were assuming at first all are doing it everywhere but now I think a manufacturing issue on the dryness of wood and time between clear coats. Playing has no factor on it and will ge worse just sitting.

Ok, good to know. Do you know the relative humidity the pin was sitting in? It's fairly dry here and I'm at just over 40% humidity.

#3496 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Open up a ticket and request a replacement.
Its obviously a bad/poorly prepped blank with wrong colors on it. It probably should have been rejected as a blank before it was printed. The clearcoat should protect the surface from any indoor climate variations. Not all plywood is perfect, its an organic product.
It will take some time to get a swap-out but they will do it. CGC is a good company to deal with.
Play the hell out of the game and really enjoy it in the mean time.

I wonder if all of the playfields showing this issues are all skin tone... Seems to me something was missed on the colors, so it would not be a surprise if there were other prep issues.

#3497 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Many of us aren’t having clear coat issues but other planking issues. Cliffy won’t fix anything.

What is your playfield number?

#3512 6 years ago

Where do I get a picture of the remake playfield with the right colors?

#3524 6 years ago

I'm not too good with colors... do I have the nude tone?

IMG_0156 (resized).JPGIMG_0156 (resized).JPG

IMG_0155 (resized).JPGIMG_0155 (resized).JPG

#3527 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Nope. You have orange.

Ok, good to hear, I don't need to start punching myself in the face and cry in the shower with my clothes on.

#3532 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Over the color of a pinball machine playfield?

Here in Canada, we have these things called comedy clubs, so yes, over the color of a pinball machine.

#3534 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I’ll be in Ottawa next week. Cant wait to see some good comedy And hopefully some poutine!

Ok, please bring me a pinball related gift if possible.

#3600 6 years ago
Quoted from chancegino:

Does anybody had any issues with play field wear in the shooter lane? See pics of mine, only have a couple hundred plays and game is less than 6 months old.

There is either something seriously wrong with the manufacturing, or you have way more than 200 plays. I can't imagine launching the ball 600 times caused all that damage.

#3606 6 years ago
Quoted from chancegino:

Here’s a pic of my gameplays which audit states at 90 so yes there is something seriously wrong for a pin less than 6 months old and 90 plays.

uh, do you have a couple of hundred plays, or 90? 90 is even harder to believe. That can be reset as you know. Does it feel like you played 90 games, or hundreds? With all the complaints, we need to start backing up claims with facts, and not just negative stuff with no details. My playfield chipped ever so slightly at the mothership hole, but barely enough for me to be able to detect it. The type of chipping you are showing is so extreme.

Also, what is the black mark on your shooter lane?

#3608 6 years ago
Quoted from chancegino:

Then don't believe I don't care, I was simply posting to see if anybody else had playfield issues.

Even after being asked to back up your claim, you won't, so I'm just going to ignore your claim, it's just trolling.

#3612 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I think the pictures backup his claim

What are the black marks on the shooter lane? Am I the only one finding it hard to believe 90 games caused that damage, and CGC is not doing anything about it?

#3619 6 years ago
Quoted from chancegino:

I am opening a ticket with CGC but I thought I’d check with other owners too to see if anybody else had that this issue. Not sure if I’ll bother updating anybody since BitPatrol accused me of being a troll.

Yep, and I stand by it. Potential buyers are reading theses posts and I wanted to point out that your picture was not believable for reasons I stated, and you chose not to respond, for example, what the black marks are on your shooter lane, why you have wood putty on your shooter lane, why you first stated 'a couple of hundred' games and then showed a board with 90 games. You did not respond when I asked how many games you 'remember' being played on it, anyone would remember the difference between 90 games and hundreds.

You can get mad at me, but I'm calling you out on all this stuff for when others read the posts.

I wish you would post back what you find out from CGC. If your shooter lane looks like that after 90 games, you will surely get a new playfield. Let them know it's so bad, bitpatrol on pinside accused you of trolling.

#3627 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Are the checks sent to you from CGC made out to bitpatrol?

Does that look like an AFMr shooter lane, with a black mark, with all that wear, and only 90 games on it? Something just does not ring true to me.

#3628 6 years ago
Quoted from chancegino:

I have a large collection of pins and I’ve only owned this pin since October. I host for family events and a small league occasionally so I wasn’t 100% of the amount of game plays until I checked the audit. I haven’t done a thing to this game since I purchased it so I’m not sure why you think I used wood putty and the black is how it came I’m not sure how other AFM look like. why would I bother trying to repair the play field when its still under warranty. I’ve submitted a ticket and will see what happens.

Ok, now you let us know it's been used in a small league and for family events. Still 90 games? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but you have to agree something does not sound right with your story.

#3633 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Hopefully, we will find out, but what is the motivation for the guy to lie?
Maybe chancegino will go radio silent like drewblood did after the issue with the print quality on the MMR inserts.

I'm not sure, but when I asked simple questions, like the ones I listed, he would not give them, so the whole thing to me is suspect. I'm not saying there is no damage, or that he is lying, I'm just asking for facts since this is such a severe case of playfield chipping at 90 plays. I can see why others have had enough with the chipping topic now

#3642 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

That is putty. It’s under the clear. There is no chipping. There is no way the owner has done it himself. Looks like there was a fault in the ply that only became obvious after the shooter groove was cut - probably a black knot in the wood - that was filled with putty before it was cleared. Was deemed satisfactory by CGC, but given its location on the shooter lane shouldn’t have been. It is was an questionable QC decision is all - happens all the time. No big deal as long as GFG look after him.
I can’t beleive the vitriolic attack on the owner. The guy has a faulty pf. That’s it.

The guy claimed that was damage caused by 90 plays. Not cool to spread that kind of false info. Your explanation makes sense. Why did he not tell us that is how it looked when he first uboxed it, and was not in fact caused by playing it. Potential buyers would be mislead into thinking the playfield chipped after 90 days and turned into the mess shown in the picture. If it was my playfield, ( and I had experience with a full collection of pins as the guy does ), I would have complained right away, on the first day, and not confuse this issue with chipping from playing 90 games.

#3645 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Guys a lot people don’t look that close.

Ok, but there is no chipping on his shooter lane, and he looked at it close when he took the picture, no chipping.

#3663 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

You are first to mention chipping. Time to apologize to him. In his original post he called it wear.

It's not wear man, stop misleading people. We were all talking chipping, and he called it wear, but no wear to be found, and people will think he played 90 games and it resulted in the mess in the picture. Not cool.

#3680 6 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Man I hope CGC makes this right or no more games from them. Like some thoughts on my shooter lane as I have never had one that looks like this but don’t have a ton of experience with games either as I’ve been in the hobby for about 6 months. This is how the shooter lane looked when it arrived two weeks ago and I have less than 50 games on it.

My shooter lane looks similar, and was like that when I got my game 4 months ago. No chipping or wear on mine yet though.

#3687 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Interesting.
It would appear CGC and PPS should be avoided if these stories are true.

I think he is on to something.

#3694 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Interesting comparing to an original. My game probably had 10000 plays plus but quality of the clear back in the 90's seems way better.

could it be they used varathane instead of clearcoat? ( like on basketball courts or bowling alleys )

#3780 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

A re-make should be as least as good as an original.
The ribbed playfields are common as many Stern playfields have these so it's bad luck if you get one.
Chipping - Spooky seem to be the only company that has got their playfields at a level where this is not happening.
Wrong color playfields.
Surely by law that is such a clear manufacturing defect that an automatic replacement should be a given?

I have my TNA on order instead of a MMr. I was going to get a MMr from their february batch but nah. Plus, Spooky is doing what CGC claimed they were going to do, high quality pins. Not so excited about MBr anymore at all, and glad I don't have to spend the money on it.

#3786 6 years ago

Where do I get target stickers?

Also, CGC has top-spot on Pinside's top 100, both LEs, even for MMr so they must be doing something right or people would vote them down I think no? Maybe Doug and Rick are looking at that and rightfully assume they are doing a fantastic job... I know I would... but does not mean there is no room for improvement or getting complacent. MMr's score actually went up over 9, better than the original on both... and I do think Spooky's quality playfield on TNA is putting pressure on CGC to raise the bar if they want to be known as the best quality out there.

#3789 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/AFM_Page.html
ebay.com link » Attack From Mars Pinball Target Cushioned Decals

I'm thinking of getting those... do they protect the targets from damage too?

#3807 6 years ago

Does adding color leds under the cabinet add to the game play? If so, which one should I get? I don't wan to void my warranty connecting something that may damage the boards.

#3817 6 years ago

Thank you very much for taking the time write and post your experience. That is really not good from CGC and I would definitely not be happy with that. If I was your distro I would be doing my best to get you a good resolution. Good luck!

I'm not clear on the part where he told you not to post anything. How exactly did he say it? It seems short on details for that part... and it would be foolish of him to ask someone not to post on the Internet, it's a free country, and he has no authority to ask that, so not sure how he was wording it... was it more like "I wish people would stop posting on pinside before opening a ticket and calling us?" or did he ask you not to post anything negative about them?

Looking at it from CGC's side, the colors are hand mixed, and screen printed. It's not an exact science and at what point is the orange too pink, and when do they decide it's close enough and not replace it? I think the LEs should come with a high resolution image so potential buyers can inspect the playfield. Also, they may have a point on the wood imperfections showing on a hand made playfield... I"m not saying I would want that for myself, from now on, I would NOT buy a NIB without seeing the playfield first.

#3835 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I think this thread is being run by a few negative nancy’s and isn’t reflective of the overall condition of the machines being delivered.

I'm starting to realize it's not as bad as it may seem in here, not that there are not issues, but why is the top 100 dominated by CGC? I'm happy with mine too, just looking for a perfect pinball It asked me for my initials for the first time today and played a special song at the end for me. I got $6,800,000,000 or something... what do all you nancies have to say about trying to top THAT score!

#3847 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Vacation America is dominating the top 100.

you're missing the point... why are they voted the top 2 all the time? They are rated even higher than the originals they copy. I"m just pointing that out.

#3908 6 years ago

Would most of these issues not be resolved by CGC having their quality assurance person use a dsl camera to take a picture of the playfield and cabinet as the last step before boxing? At least on the LEs?

#3935 6 years ago

Let's start with the worse case, the putty and black marks on the shooter lane. Can we confirm that a CGC ticket was opened and the conclusion was that it was acceptable for a hand-made product? If this is true, I would like to open a ticket myself using that picture, and confirm that this is the level of quality I risk getting with a MMr or MBr.

#3939 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

That doesn't sound very honest. You could use the picture to argue a point, not open a ticket because it is not an issue with your game.

Now I'm the dishonest one? I never said I would be dishonest or lie, I would open a ticket, and explain to them that I would like to purchase another game from them, and that there is a case on Pinside where a user claims to have receive a severely low quality playfield which was apparently not resolved by CGC. I will ask them to clarify if that is in fact a playfield that they deem ok to ship. If that is the case, I will not feel comfortable getting another, as my interpretation of quality would at that point be different than theirs.

I also think maybe Doug was asking people to stop posting slanderous comments about him and his business... it goes both ways if he feels someone's comments have been misleading or false and resulted in his company losing sales. I've even seen 'mob' comment in here.

#3978 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I did a charge back on an Aston Martin DB9...
Neil.

Did it have chips on it?

#3990 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

So, here I am up in Ottawa, playing my friends LE #905 and it’s beautiful. And he has a crowd of folks from work here, and everyone has huge grins on their faces playing this game and having a wonderful time. I love pinball!

Hey, I"m near Ottawa!!! Glad to hear you guys are having an awesome time over here. I'm playing mine too, just taking a break

#3999 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Maybe we can grab a beer next time I’m up. Probably in a few months.

sounds good!! Maybe I'll have a MBrLE by then, wink wink...

#4017 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wow, that roof blue is WAY off in the CGC ones compared to original/HEP.

But it's all hand mixed silk screen paint. I would expect matching colors precisely is tough, but I don't know. Also, it's all hand-made so each one will end up being unique with faults and all, so CGC would have a hard time putting a 'mass produced' type warranty on it. It's just a guess but so much of this including the sanding/prep is a judgment call so it is hard to draw the line as to what you consider a fault. Either they are mass-produced in which case no flaws, or hand-made which means flaws, but I don't know, just a guess at this.

#4040 6 years ago

To me, the colors being 'off' is not that big of a deal, but I can understand people not liking it if it's too drastic, but I have not really seen anything yet... all those pictures look good to me, and it's a remake not a replica. I'm ok with the colors being off a bit since it's hand-made, plus, some of the original playfield examples may have been re-done or maybe there was a bit of variation in color on the originals too?

#4058 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Is there a resale issue with the MMRs that have the faded print on the inserts and now may use the diffuser?

For those of us who do not know the answer to this... I"m assuming there is NOT issue at all with MMr resale if it has a diffuser compared to one without the issue? I"m curious to find out. I think maybe the nude is a more unique playfield and potentially may be worth more in the future?... not sure.

#4061 6 years ago

How do I clean my Attack From Mars Remake Limited Edition? Is there a special procedure, for example if it was on a route? Do I need to use wax? I have a full playfield protector.

#4068 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yes, you should wax your playfield as this will help prevent wear and make it easier to clean. If there are any particles on the playfield, I vacuum it off first, then go over the playfield with a micro-fiber cloth got get fine dirt off, and then apply a new coat of Carnauba Wax.

even on a full playfield protector?

Thanks!

#4073 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I get why some anal people do it but I'd never put a PF protector on any pin i own.
Mylar, cliffys etc. no doubt
IF i ever played a pin i own to the point where the PF got beaten to shit I would just replace it with a Micro or tear it down and have it re cleared.
I also wouldn't pay anybody any more for a pin that had a PF protector on it versus not. I don't care what the PF looks like if it has 40k plays on it, you still have to "restore" and tear down most of the pin anyhow.
I want the real experience as much as possible.

Whether you like playfield protectors or not, just have fun and enjoy your game! Happy flippin'!

#4082 6 years ago

Is it possible MB goes up in the pinside top 100 if the remake comes out? I'm trying to decide if I'll plan on getting MMr or MBrLE. AFMr, MMr and MBr are all similar in game layout ( fan ) and I don't think I have room for all 3, only 2.

#4084 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Had all 3 at same time and only afm is left and it was here way before the other's. Afm is the best for flow, speed and code imo.

I can't imagine ever letting my AFMrLE go. I have a TNA on the way. I wonder if CCr would also make that one go up in the top 100, and if there is a chance CCrLE would be a better game than the original with the color and add-ons if any... That one would be different enough than MMr and MBr.

#4095 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

They are going to have to produce a really good code in order for CCr to be better than CCC. All the big displays and interactive toppers in the world won't matter to me without that. And with all the recent play field issues, I am glad I bought an original.

Could they not use the CCC code somehow? I don't know enough about it, but what makes CCC so much better than CC?

#4100 6 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

Like many I have had multiple issues with my AFMr (2nd batch) and you guys as well as CGC have all been great to assist in the fixes - thanks to all. I provided some feedback on one fix and Doug called me on a Sat to get further understanding. When talking to him he seems like he really wants to do the right thing. LTG, Arturo, GF snapped and cropped 2 pics from my AFMr (traslite and side of head) to create 2 towels - one for the head for little martian dude topper one for the playfield (I have sun that comes in my room from very high window with no blind- I understand stickers are treated better these days but rather reduce sun exposure and dust).
Really appreciate this site on so many levels - Pinball is such a blast to play but a lot different level when ya own the game so this site support is invaluable. Eevery time I walk by one of my games I just smile and think "it is fen awesome I have pinball games in my crib!". Kinetic art (quote by another Pinsider) is spot on!
Cheers!

That is really awesome, can you post the 2 pictures you used?

#4106 6 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Thanks for posting these!

And of course Walmart won't ship me the custom towels to Canada. Oh well.

#4109 6 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

PM me if you want to see if we can have them shipped to my house and then I can ship to you. Or I go to Windsor Casino now and then - I can possibly take there and ship from a post office there.

That is an awesome offer, thanks!!! I ended up setting up a myUS.com account, but thanks again for the generous offer, very cool.

#4127 6 years ago

Should i add mylar to my shooter lane? If so, where to I get the mylar?

#4131 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Too soon to call it... If the game has been lightly played, and flippers are set to a lower strength, it will take longer for the chipping to show up. Doug said it with his own words: "Every game is going to have the chipping issue. Install Cliffys."
So it's not a matter of how nice it looks now, it's how nice it might not look tomorrow.

It would be great if everyone who had a playfield issue post an update so we can all know how CGC handled it. For example, the putty and black shooter lane, which by the way, was also misrepresented as having been caused by chipping somehow in that podcast link above.

If anyone still has a chipping issue that has not been handled by CGC, can we can a picture of the whole playfield and an update please?

#4147 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think this is the last we’ve heard.

I was right. I'll be contacting CGC to get an update myself.

#4150 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

what were you right about? Hopefully CGC replaced that play field ....

About the shooter lane showing wear after 90 games. He showed a picture of his game at 90 games and then showed a picture of the mangled shooter lane and tried to make it sounds like that would happen to someone else's game after some wear, or the 2 were correlated somehow. I just called B.S. on that part for any potential buyers who were reading.

Once it was established that his story was not ringing true, the conversation moved to whether that playfield should have left CGC, and most if not all agree he needs a new palyfield, and if he does/did not, it would be a concern to many of us, not because the game would look like puke after some 90 games as that clearly did not happen, but because CGC has lowered the bar so low on what is acceptable as quality. Maybe CGC took care of him, and now there would be a total of zero issues not dealt with by CGC.

#4161 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I really didn't focus on how many game plays he had since it really didn't matter (at least to me). That play field is an embarrassment to CGC...whether it happened after 90 games or 1000 games it shouldn't look like that....its really shocking CGC hasn't replaced that play field....frankly this greed, and bad business decision will cost them 1000's of dollars in the end.....I was lucky that my game was in decent shape although it showed up with cabinet and rail damage.

uh, but again, the number of games played HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WAY THE SHOOTER LANE LOOKS.

#4165 6 years ago

How about we keep an official list and count of serial numbers ( playfield ) which have issues not resolved by CGC. The pinside community can 'have your back' if you don't get CGC to act. If someone has a place to post the list, add the link here.

List Playfield Serial Numbers with Open Issues:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1- Putty lane ( insert serial number here )

#4173 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Prefer not to, or were told not to by CGC as a condition of getting the replacement? Shutting up all of a sudden and not sharing the resolution isn't helping anyone.

Maybe CGC is taking care of these issues so well, they ask the person receiving the awesome resolution to please stay quiet so everyone else does not think they also are owed something equally awesome for every little imperfection. If it made them go quiet, it must be some AWESOME comp they got out of CGC. Maybe going quiet equals the issue being resolved really well? We should assume that unless they post an update.

Also, maybe that is what Doug meant by people should not post on pinside, they should open a ticket.

That's my guess.

#4177 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But for the really big problems like completely wrong screened nude color instead of orange, EVERYONE should be able to get a replacement - it's not a little imperfection, and it's plain as day. So remaining quiet about the scope of the problem or the resolution does not benefit anyone except CGC.

Add your playfield to the list if you have an issue, but how nude is too nude? It's hand mixed paint.

#4202 6 years ago

What will be better to get, the MMr or MBrLE? Tough choice...

#4204 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

I’m in the same position. Very tough decision. I’m leaning towards MBrLE though. Hopeful that will be the game revealed at TPF. Awesome theme, lots of toys, and great code by Lyman. So much fun to play and can’t wait to see the modern enhancements on it. Which way are you leaning? Can’t believe it’s almost TPF time again. The organizers do an amazing job with that show. Their hard word definitely pays off!

I don't know enough about MM or MB to make a decision yet I'm leaning towards the MBrLE to match my AFMrLE number. The MB looks cooler to me, but apparently, it's not as challenging as MM and gets repetitive but not sure. I missed out on the MMrLE but it was not that special and first batch issues I think, so I can always get a MMr used in the future.

I have a TNA coming so that will keep me busy until then.

#4207 6 years ago
Quoted from Dust2000:

Mm is v similar to afm so I wouldn’t
Mb better
Lots of people moaning I had a few teething issues but game fine now
Not sure a lot of these guys be happy if CGC came down and wiped their asses for them lol

Cool, I noticed that MM was similar to AFM too... thanks for the heads-up! I think MBrLE will look awesome beside the AFMrLE with the topper and all, even if they have CCr, I think MBrLE will be a better match for AFMrLE...

#4211 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

I hope they offer trim in orange or purple for MBrLE, like they did with Martian Green for AFMrLE. I think that would look sweet.

Looking forward to seeing it!! I would have room for only 3 so the AFMrLE, TNA and MBrLE.

#4226 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Remove rubber sleeve. Put a rag around it and vice grips.
LTG : )

Quoted from Damien:

I've been turning this thing for 20 minutes and it's not budging.
From the top am I turning clockwise or counterclockwise? I assumed counter.
I've completely ripped up the bolt trying to get it out.
Help!!!

Have you taken the nut or whatever under the playfield under the posts?? I could not budge and realized there was a nut or something under the playfield holding the post in I'm embarrassed but just in case you did the same, I'm posting it.

#4228 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Yes, nut is off.
Bolts are budging. Pulling out the ol' hammer!

I would not hammer it... but try twisting them back and forth a bit while pulling up a bit, it does not take much force, you'll notice them moving a bit each time you twist and pull... same thing happened to me.

#4238 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It's a new week CGC.
Are you going to do the right thing by your customers with the defective playfields?
Is it safe to say you guys will be much more visible when you are ready to take deposits for MBR?

Did you call CGC and open a ticket, and if so, did they handle your case satisfactorily, or are you speaking on someone else' behalf? What is the playfield serial number you are speaking about?

#4242 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I am posting on behalf of everyone in this thread who has posted with an issue.
Have these issues been rectified? Have the buyers been made whole in these instances?
I would love to buy an MBR, but CGC's track record for big ticket fixes under warranty is not great.

You're making so much noise and have no idea what you are talking about.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 79.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
5,400 (OBO)
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bitpatrol.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club?tu=bitpatrol and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.