pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 PinGuy's links to unboxing and SOL potential issue. Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #5 SOL protector issue Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #73 LED info Posted by stpcore (6 years ago)

Post #145 Cliffy install info Posted by evh347 (6 years ago)

Post #149 Firmware 1.0.0 Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #189 info on using AFM cliffys Posted by GorillaBiscuits (6 years ago)

Post #357 Topper connector issue Posted by LTG (6 years ago)

Post #366 Image of Cliffy addition to scoop. Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Post #368 Cliffy install info Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SeaLawyer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6728 4 years ago

Just bought #840 LE, NIB, black trim. Delivery next week.

Is anyone running one of these?

ebay.com link: 0

Is it worth installing on a new playfield to keep it new?

#6746 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

HUO?
I wouldn't do it if so. Game is going to play differently.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I have a PF protector because mine came with it. Game plays a little faster. I wouldn't put one on though. Just mylar the shooter lane and play the crap out of it.

Quoted from pinballaddicted:

That is up to you if you want to put a playfield protector on or not. Some people like them and some do not. If you know what you are doing, you will have the protector on in one afternoon. We have games with a protector on and games without. I cannot tell the difference in play between the two.
I am not confident of any manufacturers playfield quality so I have started putting playfield protectors on every game we own. For us, we think the investment is well worth it. As long as you keep the maintenance and cleaning up, you will have no issues. I definitely do not miss ball track marks, dimpling and chipping on all the new playfields.
Good Luck and welcome to the club. Game rocks!

Thanks, guys. Yeh, I guess if I absolutely hate the way it plays, I can always remove it. I wouldn't consider it on a used game, but I'd like to keep the playfield pristine, even though it's only HUO. I don't have them on any other machines, but I bought one for the new CPR Gold TAF playfield that I'll eventually get around to installing. Same rationale.

The other alternative would be this:

ebay.com link: Attack from Mars Pinball Machine complete Mylar Set enhanced set

Does the remake come with any mylar?

#6747 4 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Umm, just like I know sitting on this couch would not be the same as without the "protector". I don't need to own one to know. [quoted image]

Hahaha!! That's funny!! My grandmother had that on her couch. It was SO AWFUL!

#6758 4 years ago
Quoted from homegameroom:

I just got notified that my NIB AFRrLE (black trim) should arrive on Friday! I never imagined I would have one of these in my hands before my MBrLR arrived (which was ordered in October 2018). I guess I will have to Rule the Universe before I can join the Monsters of Rock.

Congrats! My NIB black trim LE will be here next week! Can't wait!! Does anyone know production numbers for LE colors? Seems like most I've seen are green. I wouldn't mind the green if the head trim matched, but black is my favorite.

1 week later
#6874 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I changed it from parts to technical and alerted it to CGC so they can look up if your game needs it or not, and then get you what you need to make things right.
LTG : )

Is there a production date range for machines that need it? I just got my NIB LE in, but haven't fired it up yet. CGC is sending me the PIC 2.0.

#6876 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Probably?
Mine is 12/28/17 I believe. You will know if you need it if you cannot perform the Super Skill shot (holding the left flipper, while launching/plunging the ball and having it go around the orbit and feed the left flipper) OR you can't consistency get the ball up to the pop bumper cluster.
It did not initially have the issue (though, I didn't try the Super Skill Shot because I didn't know that was a thing), so it's kinda interesting...
But, if you do have the issue, CGC has no issue with sending out a replacement ball guide immediately.
Good luck! =)

Yeh, I'm taking apart the top of the playfield to install the plastic playfield protector anyway. It's NIB, so I figured the playfield will only be new once. If I hate the way it feels, I'll just cut it away and remove it. I was hoping there was a way to preemptively know about the replacement ball guide so I could just do it all at once.

#6877 4 years ago

Also, does anyone know whether the remake translite and glass are the same size as the original?

#6879 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Same size exactly

Awesome, so the new CPR mirrored BG should work! Thanks!

#6884 4 years ago

It should look amazing!
I have one in my Diner, its absolutely gorgeous.
Deep rich colors and a depth that translites truly lack.

I have one in my TAF! “Absolutely gorgeous” is right!! I’ll buy one for every machine I own!!

Quoted from LTG:

Called a light tub. The original had it too.
The plastic channel around the glass/translite/light tub pulls off. Freeing the glass/translite/light tub from each other.
When you reassemble all you'd need is the light tub and new mirrored glass and put the channels back. ( if that is what you are asking )

Thanks, LTG! I had the same question, but I figured if it was the exact same size, there’d be a way to make it work. Already ordered it!

#6944 4 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Topper alone is worth it

Agree completely!! Add in the shaker motor and the larger color screen, at it was a no-brainer for the extra money, IMO.

#6960 4 years ago

CPR’s new mirrored backglass is a thing of beauty! Took a bit of light rubber malleting (YIKES!) to get the bottom trim on. REALLY stunning piece! My only minor nit is that when lit, what shows up as white is actually clear through to the light box, so the internals kind of stand out. Maybe it’s not as bad on an original AFM. I’m thinking a very soft diffuser material of some sort would resolve the issue without dimming the light.

0DC3C14A-2F13-4835-A2DB-7163D3ABE048 (resized).jpeg0DC3C14A-2F13-4835-A2DB-7163D3ABE048 (resized).jpegE03C2489-07FE-4B48-9D43-C1BAFFA2C32F (resized).jpegE03C2489-07FE-4B48-9D43-C1BAFFA2C32F (resized).jpeg2DB86186-BEFC-49AD-B0FA-9F08FF59E2AC (resized).jpeg2DB86186-BEFC-49AD-B0FA-9F08FF59E2AC (resized).jpegE418029D-2724-4C55-AFAB-7F5D6DE84108 (resized).jpegE418029D-2724-4C55-AFAB-7F5D6DE84108 (resized).jpeg
#6983 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.

I didn't see anything in your post about going to https://www.chicago-gaming.com/ and opening a ticket under Support on the Help Desk.

Yeh, CGC was extremely helpful! Excellent service after the sale for my NIB AFMrLE.

2 weeks later
#7006 4 years ago

The ONLY mod needed:
https://mezelmods.com/collections/attack-from-mars-pinball-mods/products/attack-from-mars-pinball-eat-at-eddys-building

Disagree! EaE is my favorite mod, but just got my saucers back from Back Alley and they look AMAZING!!

89F47DCD-E4EE-416B-B02C-084596C5C0C4 (resized).jpeg89F47DCD-E4EE-416B-B02C-084596C5C0C4 (resized).jpeg006E9A49-B1F9-49E8-B63F-442E6EF0FCA4 (resized).jpeg006E9A49-B1F9-49E8-B63F-442E6EF0FCA4 (resized).jpegDBDEB986-978E-4038-94E8-09A06C3815F7 (resized).jpegDBDEB986-978E-4038-94E8-09A06C3815F7 (resized).jpeg
#7017 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Do a lot of people really do the playfield protectors on this game?
This is only my second game that I own and I haven’t been bothered by this.
I guess what I’m getting at is that I haven’t installed playfield protectors before. Though I’m sure I have already tackled more mechanical challenged related tasks.

I put one on mine since it was NIB. Contrary to honda’s point, it most definitely does not suck. It plays very similar to a playfield with a mirror-finish clear coat. It’s very fast, and very awesome. I figured I’d try it, since I could always remove it. I won’t be removing it until it’s time to replace it. I like keeping the brand new playfield brand new. Installation wasn’t terrible. Took around an hour.

#7027 4 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

What one's did you go with?

I stand by my playfield protector. But I also did these plastic protectors, and they look great!

https://mezelmods.com/collections/attack-from-mars-pinball-mods/products/attack-from-mars-pinball-plastic-protectors?variant=8117345943668

#7028 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They wear like crap over time and change the way the machine plays in some places. I hate them.

I agree with this.
They are difficult to polish out once roughed up a bit.
Wax doesn't stick to them at all.

How long over time? I have probably close to 1000 plays on mine already, and still looks brand new. Plays fast and great! Everyone in my pinball group that's played my machine loves the way it plays.

Playfield protectors are currently made from polycarbonate and cover the complete playfield surface.

Maybe they used to be made from polycarbonate, but now they're made from PET-G. From Playfield-Protectors.com's website:

The Next Generation Playfield Protector is made of Vivak (PET-G), which allows us to reduce thickness and improve the edges by using CNC lasers instead of CNC molding cutters. The new surface is now even more transparent while still being glossy.

I have no experience with the previous generation protectors, but so far, I'm loving the latest generation!

#7030 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

1,000 is nothing. It will look like crap, just wait. I've taken off enough to know. The real playfield surface always looks and plays best if you just keep it cleaned and waxed.

You may be right. And if so, it was $150 experiment gone wrong on a $8K game—BFD. If so, I’ll remove it, but at least I’ll have a new playfield still.

Or, maybe, just MAYBE, you were dealing with an earlier generation made of a different material.

Either way, it was worth $150 to try it.

#7033 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We're 10 years into the "new" generation of playfields and plain old cleaning and waxing is still winning. And saying you'll remove the protector is easier said than done. They SUCK to remove. I don't know what your time is worth, but it will cost you a lot more than $150 if you factor that in.
But if you like them, great. I just want people considering them to realize that if they clean and wax regularly, they'll get just fine results.

It took me about an hour to install with disassembling half the playfield. I could remove it in 5 minutes by lifting from the bottom and cutting...

#7035 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We have a playfield protector on our AFMrLE. We put it on before we plunged a ball. Same with the Cliffys. Playfield underneath still looks like new! Shooter lane still looks like new and no dimpling or chipping or any other playfield issues. Game has 1500 plays. Installing a playfield protector is about what you want for your machine. Not what other people want for your machine. If you do not like them, do notvput them on or play a machine with them on. Easy.

Agree completely.

#7057 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Agreed. The LE is awesome and that topper is one of the best I've ever seen.

Agreed and Agreed. For me, the LE was a no-brainer. If I couldn't have found one NIB, I'd have waited for a low-play HUO, which come up pretty frequently at less than what I paid for my NIB. Worth every penny over the CE and SE, IMO.

#7059 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The alien being interactive with the game just does so much to give the game a "personality". You really feel like you are fighting against the game and it's engaging and awesome. I don't see selling this one for a long time.

Yup. My kids are going to fighting over this one when I die...

1 week later
#7174 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:I also like that you get metal saucers. They enhance the overall experience but don’t change much what happens under the glass.

The saucers are definitely not metal. They’re silver plastic. The first thing I did when I got my LE was send them off to Back Alley for their special paint treatment...

#7183 4 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Can you do a pic of Back Alley’s work they did? Also please refresh my memory - did you get the ship mod with the Martian in the ship? If you did please post a pic or vid also please, if you would. That would be cool if you did.

Haven’t done the ship mod yet, but I may.
4DC98A4E-D7CC-43AD-85FE-315F39816C7B (resized).jpeg4DC98A4E-D7CC-43AD-85FE-315F39816C7B (resized).jpegEE43C3E7-38A3-4626-9313-E6DA75808389 (resized).jpegEE43C3E7-38A3-4626-9313-E6DA75808389 (resized).jpeg

F446EB96-FCA0-4334-B9A5-1EA61CEF530B (resized).jpegF446EB96-FCA0-4334-B9A5-1EA61CEF530B (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#7223 4 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

That is great. I can see the appeal. For me, and my collection, it fits right in with the classic size. Probably the same reason I was never interested in a JJP game. That huge TV on the backbox is quite unattractive to me and takes away where there could be so much great artwork. Nice that these games CGC retain the art and include a large display option as well.

I’m with you on the actual TV screens on pins—don’t like that trend at all! But the oversized DMD on my AFMrLE is awesome!! If I could upgrade all my other DMD games to that size screen, I would.

2 months later
#7524 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Titans play dead IMO. I'd use the glow-in-the-dark for accents like posts if you want, but Marco white is the way to go for the rubber. Lots more ball action. Marco is the only white rubber worth using. Everything else I've used falls short, and some are AWFUL.
I'd also have a look at the animated EL art blades from pingraffix. Really cool finishing move to the inside of the cabinet.

Agreed. Titans LOOK amazing, but PLAY AWFUL compared to the real stuff. Going to try the Perfect Play flipper rubber to see how it plays. I like color, but not willing to sacrifice feel to get it. I don't care about durability, since I'm not an operator.

#7527 4 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

If you don't like Titan then your really not going to like Perfect Play IMO. Titans play way closer to rubber then PP.

Good to know. Thanks.

2 weeks later
#7651 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just finished v2 of my building mod. In this one, I tried to add cracks to the windows using a tested process where I actually have a waterslide decal embedded between printed layers of the clear plastic. What I learned is that it works, but my cracks need to be a lighter gray instead of black (this will be v3). I also added a couple of blast craters on the roof (front left and back right), and I reworked the inside light mounting to better diffuse the fire LEDs (I had to make it 1 cm taller to accommodate).

Nice work! I think you need to have real flames shooting out of the top of the building. Make it butane refillable.

#7653 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thought I would share my final version of the building mod (sorry, no real flames).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome! If I didn’t already have the Mezel version, I’d buy this. I like it better. The green in the windows complements the green in the game nicely.

#7658 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

While I won't do any design changes to the building, color changes or message change on the roof sign will not cost anything extra.

Wow, that’s a game-changer! I may rethink keeping the Mezel version now... Decisions, decisions...

#7690 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So, yesterday I colored my 4 aliens' exposed muscles silver (used a silver Sharpie), designed and made myself a decal for the top of the 3 center targets (modeled after the existing one out there I like), adjusted the target mech so that it was more level and balls wouldn't get stuck with it lowered, and ordered all the parts to make interactive illuminated flipper buttons (I still need to design a 3D print model for the brackets that the LED strips will adhere to).
If others are interested, the illuminated integrated flipper buttons are a mod that I would be willing to sell as a kit to make it easy on those less prone to doing DIY projects. Probably not for everyone and I don't really have a final tally on it yet, but just something I wanted to do to my game.

Pics?

#7702 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I still need to design a mounting bracket for the LEDs, but overall the illuminated flipper buttons were a fairly simple mod. Of course I had to order all of the parts and make my own wiring harness to tap into the LED speaker connector, but everything went smoothly.[quoted image]

Looks great! I'd be in for the top sticker and flipper button mods.

#7761 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, LED flipper button kit ordering is closed. Thank you everyone who ordered. I'll be ordering components today, and getting to work on things. Thank you for everyone's interest, and I'll keep everyone updated on progress.
Update: All components required were in stock and ordered. Everything should arrive this week, so I think I know what I'll be doing next weekend.

Oh no! I missed it. Add me to the list for next time please.

1 week later
#7816 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I have a 2nd design for my building based upon a request from an original AFM owner. This one resembles the buildings on the AFM LE topper. I'm going to test print to see how it comes out, then I'll share some photos with the group.[quoted image]

Wow!! Tempting me to sell my Mezel version, aren’t you??

#7821 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The thought crossed my mind (also illuminating below the center target bank), but haven't taken the time to evaluate how to accomplish it.

Git 'er done!! I want the SOL scoop lit, but I want the color to change depending on which insert leading into is lit. E.g., the scoop lights up orange when the extra ball is lit, yellow for SOL, white for Martian Attack, green for RTU. If more than one insert is lit, it should default to the more important insert (extra ball>SOL and MA, MA>SOL, RTU>all others...).

1 week later
#7865 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Anyone LE owners that want to part with s topper ?

No chance... Even if an LE owner had a low ceiling and couldn’t install it, they’d still keep it in case they ever sold the pin. You want a topper? Sell your CE and buy an LE.

2 weeks later
#7943 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

I’ve had the same issue with my AFMR LE (#21) since it’s been out of the box. Never did get around to submitting a warranty ticket and now I think my time is up.
That said. Finally installed my first two mods. Can you tell what they are?
Thinking of doing the under cab lighting next.
Love this pin. It is my grail. [quoted image]

Mezel's EaE mod and the attack wave gate sticker.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
5,400 (OBO)
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SeaLawyer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club?tu=SeaLawyer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.