pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 PinGuy's links to unboxing and SOL potential issue. Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #5 SOL protector issue Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #73 LED info Posted by stpcore (6 years ago)

Post #145 Cliffy install info Posted by evh347 (6 years ago)

Post #149 Firmware 1.0.0 Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #189 info on using AFM cliffys Posted by GorillaBiscuits (6 years ago)

Post #357 Topper connector issue Posted by LTG (6 years ago)

Post #366 Image of Cliffy addition to scoop. Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Post #368 Cliffy install info Posted by sparechange1974 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DudeRegular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5954 5 years ago

Just placed an order for a Classic Edition with the Color upgrade chip. The price drop put me over the edge. Looking forward to joining the club!

#5963 5 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Congrats! Will they be sending the color chip at the same time as your AFMr classic edition?
I’m curious as I’m considering a Monster Bash classic and don’t want to settle for the orange dots while waiting for a chip.
Thanks!

They are supposed to be yes. Also as I understand it, even though you don't get multicolor on the stock game, you can select which color you have on the DMD.

#5977 5 years ago

I chatted with one of the guys who distros in my area and he confirmed the price of 6000 for the CE for me. Many of the store listings are probably just slow to update.

#5979 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Thank you for the info re: the pricing!
I was hoping for a cut on the SE as well; but it is great to know that the "budget" model competes so well with a Stern pro on pricing.
Getting a NIB AFM in 2018 for 6K? That would be considered nuts not that long ago...

I hoped the SE would drop to 7k or so too. Altogether with delivery, color chip and I also ordered the shaker from PPS and I am still well under 7k for a brand new AFMr. It should be here this weekend. We are excited.

#5980 5 years ago

My AFMr CE showed up today. Still dialing in a little bit. It has the 1.0 software on it. The color chip was not with it so it is coming from my distributor in the mail. I am having the issue of launched balls not making it to the lanes/pops about half the time so far. Game is dialed in a 6.5 and balanced left to right. I also had the shaker motor and leg cab protectors already waiting so those were both installed already too.

Where do you guys see the ball hit coming out of the stroke of luck shot? Mine seems to be hitting the lane guide a bit left of the left flipper.

#5984 5 years ago

Thanks fellas. The 1.0 I was referring to is what I saw in the CGC hold the button for 4 seconds menu. That is the one for the PIC, correct?

#5986 5 years ago

Ok, it does have the 2.0 chip. Thanks for the clarification.

Any thoughts on the SOL aiming? Played a few more games and it's still hitting metal rather than the flipper. Should it be hitting the left flipper?

3 weeks later
#6108 5 years ago

Not sure if this is a normal thing now or not, but my classic edition has RGB lights in the main saucer. The feature matrix indicates this is only on the SE and LE models. Happy surprise for us.

#6110 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Are your saucers matte grey or shiny silver?

Pretty sure they are the matte finish. They don't look like the shiny ones I have seen in some pics.

#6119 5 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Bonus! They must have ran out of the single LED boards.

Nice surprise for sure.

Also got the GC score on mine today when previously I couldn't even get on the board.... stock high score settings.

After working with Lloyd and the guys at CGC support I have most everything working well. Only thing I am still seeing is odd left orbit shots. Hard shots like to rattle around in there and trickle back out. May drop the flipper strength another point or two. The flippers feel pretty good for most everything else though.

1 week later
#6152 5 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

Quick update on the speaker static/buzz issues I was having when changing the backbox light brightness...
I took a look yesterday and found no loose grounding screws or connectors/wires. All the circuitry and solder joints looked intact. I noticed that the backbox speaker wiring was looped around the solenoid cable, but unlooping it and moving it around had no effect on the noise. I even tried plugging the machine into a power conditioner with no luck. Unplugging the speaker connector was the only way to get the noise to go away...
I opened a ticket with CGC last night and got a response this morning that they are sending me a new controller board. I'll have to send the old one back (I was hoping to keep it so I could troubleshoot it). I'll report back on how it works out.

I noticed the same buzz on my CE. Very interested in your outcome. Thanks

1 month later
#6361 5 years ago

My CE came with the manual as well.

1 week later
#6383 5 years ago

Definitely consider the CE at 6000. Then add a shaker and the HD color rom chip and you are at 6500/6550 or so. That is still a good amount lower than the SE and you have a very similar setup. The graphics are the same once you have the color hd chip with a smaller screen. It is still the high res updated dots in it. Shaker is super easy to install and the chip is a 30 second job.

1 month later
#6527 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

I am looking to change out the flipper rubbers and go with Titans - any cool colors or kits suggested?

I like green for the flippers. We put on some reds, but there is already so much red in that area of the playfield. Red felt a bit much. I like Titan's clear/translucent in other places, especially when a bulb is behind it. It lets the light through nicely.

20190317_203207.jpg20190317_203207.jpg
1 week later
#6564 5 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys I really appreciate it! Modding is done for the day, I changed all the rubbers except under the rear ramp plastic like way2wyrd said, I also added Lermods under-cab lighting and backboard/trough combo lights, flipper decals and the decal for the force field. I feel proud of myself even though it took me all day. Next up will be the pingraffix powerbladez which I also picked up from TPF, I love this machine
[quoted image][quoted image]

Are you removing your mirror blades for the powerbladez? Not sure if you want to sell or how much they would cost to ship, but I may be interested in putting them on my CE.

#6570 5 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Got my LE a few days ago. Just got the Cliffys installed along with plastic protectors and titan black rubbers through out the game. So I have a few questions and I've read the entire thread. And I know I read about it, but can't find it now. How do you keep the ball from flying off the light lock shot and entering the shooter lane? Also, how do you fix the orbit issue? The coil is hitting center of the ball but I think I remember reading about the ramp out the shooter lane that has a bend in it? And I can see where it's vent. Do I need to straighten that or get a new part from Chicago gaming?

There is a replacement part for the ball guide right orbit near the pops. CGC will send you the replacement part. Just put in the ticket. Also, try lowering flipper strength as others have mentioned.

3 weeks later
#6633 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

ok has anyone found a solution to the SDTM on the scoop?
I swapped to a NOS scoop and it helped but the eject from the scoop 10-15% of the time is SDTM - there must be a solution for this?

Man, i messed with that thing over and over adjusting sideways under the playfield. Turns out you can set the power from the CGC menu and it really adjusted where the ball went on mine. Mine was previously hitting the metal ball guide and bouncing hard back up. Down a notch and it usually hits the left flipper. Hopefully yours isn't already maxed out and shooting SDTM.

2 weeks later
#6857 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I was thinking about selling a game to get AFMr CE. Seems like a pretty good value considering Stern pros are almost the same amount. Just wondering how the game is playing and holding up to all you CE owners. This remake is basically the same as the original right? I would definitely have to spend the extra to get the color display tho. Any persistent problems or tweaks that need to be done? I’ve played the LE on location but have no experience with the CE so any help is appreciated.

I have the CE. I added the color upgrade, shaker motor, mirror blades, and some titan rings. Out of the box I had to get the ball guide replacement from CGC. I had one pop bumper not working, that was a simple leaf switch adjustment. I also had the issue of the Stroke of Luck scoop firing out to the left lane ball guide. That was fixed by changing the value in the CGC adjustment menu (right popper I believe). Flippers are set at -2 I think now on my game as well. There are a bunch of ways to tweak the game. It plays great and looks fantastic too. I agree with you on the value at the newer 6k price point. You are getting a very nice game.

#6858 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Very nice!
That would be easier than taking out the metal launch ramp or whatever, bending, etc.
Still waiting on that 2.0 SOL before making adjustments though...

Quoted from pintechev:

It's probably that you need the replacement ball guide. I would open a ticket with CGC.

Agree-- Open the ticket and get the replacement ball guide sent out to you. It will do wonders on this issue.

#6908 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

This game has taught me something:
Man, I suck at pinball.
Thanks for listening.

I know the feeling man! Don't feel bad about closing your outlanes as much as possible. You can bring the front leg levelers up a tad too. It is your game. Don't be afraid to tweak things!

#6950 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

So...here are my leveling efforts ..
It looks "good" and the ball isn't rolling. I REALLY like this test to determine if the playfield is level...after all it's the ball that's rolling in the first place.
Here's my only...quirks with this. I used this digital level and zero'd it, put in the playfield and it reads 6.5. Perfect! Sorta! When I put the level back down it's always reading 0.2 and I tried this multiple times.
This would suggest 6.7 actually and if you look at the bubble on the machine, it's a touch higher than that second line which if it actually has any accuracy, could mean it is in fact 6.7.
Idk... It's "close" or w/e and the playfield being level just seems more important.
Thoughts/Comments on my first efforts?

I would say you may be overdoing it a bit. Does it play well? That's what matters. If its too fast or hard, raise the front. Too slow, lower the front.

3 weeks later
#6994 4 years ago

I think you mean at launch it doesn't go around on the skill shot (holding down left flipper)??

If so, adjust the autolauncher power in the CGC menu.

2 weeks later
#7046 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Thinking of getting a CE. A classic should be classic, not?

They all are awesome man. I have a classic and it has been great. It looks like the original with a nice color DMD in it (if you opt for the hd color upgrade). It still looks cool without as you can choose what color you want the dmd to be. Its nice to be able to change it from the stock orange.

1 week later
#7172 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Does the DMD color upgrade on the CE also allow the main saucer to have red, blue, and green lights instead of just red?

Mine has it but I can't remember if it did that before I out in the color chip or not.

2 months later
#7340 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Looking at picking up a used LE.
Is there any questions I should be asking?
I saw something about a pic 2.0 chip? Is that a required fix? Or was it fixed after a certain build date?
Cheers,
Ted

You want to get the updated pic yes. Otherwise some of the settings in the menu can cause issues with your game. I got a new CE end of last year and it had the updated chip, not sure on the LE run dates. Just open her up and verify.

1 week later
#7356 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I'm just about ready to torch the right hand scoop.
Has anyone got this consistently hitting the middle of the left flipper? I've tried about everything. (look at Bowen's tutorial video, the PAPA AFM is super consistent and that's what I want).
any ideas welcome. I've swapped the scoop out for a NOS one. changed the coil but its still inconsistent. I'm wondering if the game isn't storing enough power to make the coil fire at its fullest?
Neil.

Neil,
Have you changed the settings in the CGC menu?
I adjusted R POPPER STRENGTH to -1 on my game. It hits the flipper nearly all the time now. The exceptions are nearly always during multiball when other could are firing as well such as the jets.

I too had screwed around with the scoop mech itself and adjust it and enlarged the holes trying to "aim" it. The setting above got me there.

2 weeks later
#7533 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No BriteCaps in PBL Clearance or rings in Comet clearance. What are you referring to?

He probably meant physical clearance to make sure things fit ok.

2 weeks later
#7644 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Not true. My CE came with a manual.
And a small goodie bag, I think it only included a key fob and maybe a flipper spacer tool.

Same.

#7666 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just received and installed my v2 chip from distributor. Now what do I do? I assume I can power down the flippers a little now? What do people suggest who have dialed theirs in?

I used the popper adjustment to dial in the SOL eject placement. Too strong hit the guide and too weak SDTM.

2 weeks later
#7800 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Haven't played pinball for almost 30 years and is currently in Another town for work.
Planning on getting a couple of games for a gameroom and this local pub had a mmr and an afmr.
When I've looked on Youtube clips i found afmr the least favorable of the three Chicago titles, however playing it's imo a much
greater experience then mm, which i found really lackluster and The playfield construction leaning heavily to the left.
Afm was really fun. Really fun and I loved the shots.
Two worries. It seems fairly easy? Since i havet played for many years, but still having no trouble gaining extra balls and free games.
There was also some kind of short with the specific game. It shorted out and turned of two Times and did some kind of computer reset.
Another thing that puzzled me is that i got some strange Multiball, where all turned dark, but the game still continued thru the Multiball, and then got back to normal. What was that all about?
All said and done. A really nice surprise. Great fun and probably for the kids too.

I would not say its easy to get to the end of the game, but getting some of the early goals (saucers, multiballs) are very achievable. That makes the game approachable to a wide variety of players.

The multiball you got to is strobe multiball. You make points by hitting the saucer forcefield.

1 week later
#7856 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

How about more detailed pics of everything? I actually just want to know if the CE has the backboard decal like this I’ve seen or it is just plain black?[quoted image]

It has the decal on the backboard.

1 year later
#9528 2 years ago

Back in the club! I had a classic edition before.

20210619_222441.jpg20210619_222441.jpg
#9529 2 years ago

When I first bought my classic edition, I had the issue with the launch not making it up to the top often. It looks like this game has the same issue. Does CGC still send out the replacement ball guide that goes just to the right of the pop bumper nest? That sorted things out before.

#9535 2 years ago

Thanks folks. The original owner didn't even know about the cgc menu, so I didn't figure he would have changed it. but the autolaunch was set to -1. I changed it to default and super skill shots are back in action.

Had a pretty good game on it already too. Destroyed Mars but needed another multiball to get the super and RTU.

20210620_154538.jpg20210620_154538.jpg
#9540 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I didn't know about the SSS. I just thought that launch method was for lowering the forcefield with a single hit within time. Going to give it a try. I guess the trade off potentially is not acquiring enough hits to achieve super pops (although I'm not sure which is more valuable points wise)?
UPDATE
Just tried it out and on my first try, voila . . . 50M points!

Much closer to total annihilation as well.

1 month later
#9565 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Can the ce be upgraded to the se display? Speakers/sound?

Folks on facebook, not sure I remember who, said yes it does work. You can track down the MMr upgraded display and it should be ok. Not sure if the sound is any different or not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DudeRegular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club?tu=DudeRegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.