pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 212.
#4851 6 years ago

Holy Smokes...I just changed my flipper strength to -3 and it's like a whole new game! I can actually trap the ball and it's more like pinball and less like spinball. I got 5 Way Combo and Total Annihilation right off the bat...two modes I haven't hit in a month....the ramp shots are now so much easier and I feel like I have some control! What an eye opener.

#4852 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

What slant do you have your game set at? I'm getting drains from missed lock shots about 80% of the time.

Be more abusive of the machine to change the ball trajectory before it leaves the lock lane, or last ditch, as it rockets toward the right outlane.

#4853 6 years ago

i have one video mod left at the moment

#4854 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

What slant do you have your game set at? I'm getting drains from missed lock shots about 80% of the time.

I'm pretty much bang-on 6.5 degrees.

#4855 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Nudge like Hell. That saves mine most of the time when I see it heading that way.

That is us too. I even have my wife Nudging!!

#4856 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is it normal for the ball to make it halfway up the lock ramp, to roll back down and go directly into the right outlane?

Yes.
War is Hell.
Return to battle soldier...

#4857 6 years ago

Hey guys; what are the street prices for NIB on the SE and LE versions? Is there a price difference between black or green trim? Thanks in advance.

#4858 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is there a price difference between black or green trim?

Black or green is only available on the LE. No price difference.

LTG : )

#4859 6 years ago

It needs some dialing in out of the box in order to reach those higher scores. Being the masochist I am, I decided to leave it alone. I've maxed out at 58B on an original AFM. This one, I'm sitting at 9.3B in over 200 games.

This game does hate me. I'm convinced. I've had some stupid cheap drains with the ball returning on the left wireform. It'll come down, hit the sling rubber, and bounce to the left out lane. :::shrugs::: Lots of yelling and cursing commences

#4860 6 years ago

Same for 926. Unboxed it, mounted topper, ran rear levelers out about 3/4 of max with front ones all in, leveled, plugged it in. I haven't even adjusted the volume or been in to any menus.
Mine always behaves on the left side but hops the guide between the in and out lane on the right side. I think a blade like divider like my TAF is in order

#4861 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Flippers set to -3, outlane posts at factory setting, 6.5 degree pitch measured between the flippers. It’s a fast game for sure, particularly after being waxed. Lots of side drains but I’m not a good player so it seems normal to me.

Exact same set up and I feel the exact same way. I am not that good a player, but I feel like I have a lot of control now. I get lots of side drains, but feel I am really really getting better at “digging” the ball out down the middle. I do t know if that is the right term but I am sure you know what I mean. It is fat and fun...very satisfying to play.

#4862 6 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Exact same set up and I feel the exact same way. I am not that good a player, but I feel like I have a lot of control now. I get lots of side drains, but feel I am really really getting better at “digging” the ball out down the middle. I do t know if that is the right term but I am sure you know what I mean. It is fat and fun...very satisfying to play.

I couldn’t agree more! CGC did an amazing job with this game. So much fun to play.

#4863 6 years ago

Just thinking out loud here. I have a few games on my radar, AFMr being one. Think it’s too similar to SMVE in a small lineup? And what’s the consensus of the SE version? Is the light show and missing extra saucers worth upgrading to LE? Not much of a topper guy even though it’s a bad ass topper.

#4864 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is the light show and missing extra saucers worth upgrading to LE?

You get double the warranty of the SE too. And mirror blades.

#4865 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Just thinking out loud here. I have a few games on my radar, AFMr being one. Think it’s too similar to SMVE in a small lineup? And what’s the consensus of the SE version? Is the light show and missing extra saucers worth upgrading to LE? Not much of a topper guy even though it’s a bad ass topper.

I have the LE. I ended up turning off the topper bounce action because it was just so loud. It does look awesome. If you are not into toppers, aside from the warranty or the colored trim, the SE is a great choice. You still get the nice display and honestly, the blades by TiltGraphics, etc look cooler than the mirrors IMHO.

#4866 6 years ago
Quoted from CosmoJoe:

the blades by TiltGraphics, etc look cooler than the mirrors IMHO.

I think I prefer the mirrors. It looks like a larger landscape that it really is and bounces more light into the game.

#4867 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hey guys; what are the street prices for NIB on the SE and LE versions? Is there a price difference between black or green trim? Thanks in advance.

I bought the standard for the classic look. Hardware has year warrenty and beagle boards are cheap

#4868 6 years ago
Quoted from Nickrc3:

My#873 LE was delivered last Sunday by Curly from Little Shop of Games. Outstanding distributor, great customer support. Won't hesitate to purchase my second pinball from him.
Machine plays fantastic. Lights, graphics and sounds are mesmerizing, however, I'm getting murdered by this game! It's a serious drain monster, especially the two outlanes. The ball constantly swings over into these two lanes. No amount of nudging can change the trajectory. Other drains from Stroke of Luck VUK or SDTM are manageable.
Having played GB many times, I really feel AFMr is a hell-of-a-lot more challenging in terms of ball-time longevity.
Since last Sunday, I registered 289 games and cannot obtain a score higher than 7.2B.
Spending my childhood and adolescent summer years (60's-70's) at the various pinball arcades in Seaside Heights NJ, I've always considered myself a better than average player, but man, this pin is frustrating.
Achieving annihilation, super skill shots, Martian multi-ball, etc. is not terribly difficult, and consistently obtained, but getting past four countries has not been achieved. The sad part is I set the game up for 5 balls. How these Guy's are getting mega-high scores and Attack Mars mode on 3 ball is beyond me.
Playfield level is set at 6.8 degrees, horizontal level is 0, flipper strength set to default (minimal airballs). Tilt is disabled.
I did notice the outposts are off-center (see pic) favoring the outlanes, but I'm not about to take a Dremel to enlarge the hole in order to shift position. I also re-centered both slingshots.
So, do I basically suck, or just need more patience to advance in the gameplay? Any suggestions or tips on game play is much appreciated.
Thanks Guys.

I know this is heresy to some people but here's what I did:

1. Move outlane guides all the way down
2. Install 5 ball
3. Change the extra ball for destroying cities back to 2 (it goes to 3 when you install 5 ball)
4. Change the extra ball for SOL down to 4
5. Change the extra ball during Strobe Multiball down to 8 (I think that's the lowest)
6. Crank all the timers up to max (ball save, martian attack, etc...). Anything that times out, move it to max
7. Drill a hole in the pf and install a post between the flippers (ok, that was a joke)

This makes the game more fun for me as it allows me to get close to ruling the universe. I got to RTU the other night for the first time ever although I didn't get the 5 billion needed to RTU. Don't be embarrassed about doing this. It's your $8000 and you can do whatever you want with the game. Make it fun.

I'm getting better at this game and will start dialing all this back over time. Someday I hope to be back to 3 ball default settings and be able to light RTU.

#4869 6 years ago

My wife has been pestering me to set it to 5 ball but I dunno... Feels like sacrilege lol

#4870 6 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

2. Install 5 ball
3. Change the extra ball for destroying cities back to 2 (it goes to 3 when you install 5 ball)
5. Change the extra ball during Strobe Multiball down to 8 (I think that's the lowest)
6. Crank all the timers up to max (ball save, martian attack, etc...). Anything that times out, move it to max
7. Drill a hole in the pf and install a post between the flippers (ok, that was a joke)
This makes the game more fun for me as it allows me to get close to ruling the universe. I got to RTU the other night for the first time ever although I didn't get the 5 billion needed to RTU. Don't be embarrassed about doing this. It's your $8000 and you can do whatever you want with the game. Make it fun.
I'm getting better at this game and will start dialing all this back over time. Someday I hope to be back to 3 ball default settings and be able to light RTU.

Im not ready to do anything that extreme but I do like what your thinking and see how you got there

But I'll admit that I have started a lot of 4 player games just to get a rhythm going. It seems to help me get 1 or 2 good games out of the 4.

#4871 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think I prefer the mirrors. It looks like a larger landscape that it really is and bounces more light into the game.

I dig the mirrors too....while the game has some elements that are Spidey-like, there are still other modes that make the game very different. It stands pretty strong on it's own, imho....

#4872 6 years ago

Quick question guys on my AFM I notice when I play and I hit the left sling it sometimes makes it kick like 2 or three times. It’s not every time I hit bit but it’s alit during a game. Annoying as shit. Any ideas how I can do a quick fix on this problem? Also have rattling on my glass. Tape? Thanks in advance

#4873 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The Topper makes for a lot if fun when others are watching,.. my grand daughter is fascinated by it moving and “talking”..

#4874 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

Quick question guys on my AFM I notice when I play and I hit the left sling it sometimes makes it kick like 2 or three times. It’s not every time I hit bit but it’s alit during a game. Annoying as shit. Any ideas how I can do a quick fix on this problem?

POWER OFF.

Adjust the slingshot leaf blade switches on the left sling so they are less sensitive. With the slingshot plastic off, look down at the blades. Front long one should just be touching the rubber ring. Not pushing it. Shorter rear one close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it. Yet vibration doesn't give extra kicks.

A tweak or two and you should be fine.

#4875 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

Quick question guys on my AFM I notice when I play and I hit the left sling it sometimes makes it kick like 2 or three times. It’s not every time I hit bit but it’s alit during a game. Annoying as shit. Any ideas how I can do a quick fix on this problem? Also have rattling on my glass. Tape? Thanks in advance

Rattling on the glass, do you have a loose side rail? When you hear the rattle press the side rail in and see if it stops.

#4876 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

People have applied electrical tape wrapped along the edges.

Seems to work good there's a product called anti rattle tape which is essentially the same thing.

Also one could turn down the Shaker motor a little bit until it stops rattling the glass.

#4877 6 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

2. Install 5 ball

...good recommendations PDX_Pinball - thanks. Two days ago I logged 410 games (5 ball), set on default as described in my earlier posting. Still could not complete that 5th country, but achieve everything else including the four extra balls. Can't master the damn video mode though.
Last night, I moved the slingshot posts back towards the flippers, effectively reducing the left and right outlane entrances. Third game into this change I made Attack Mars mode w/ 8.5 billion score! Much more satisfying ball longevity, especially during annihilation and strobe multi-ball.
The game still drains, but at least I've got an improved chance to advance.
I've been invited to a pinball party later this month (Little Shop of Games) where dozens of machines will be available for free play. I hope to learn from some of these 'pros' on a specific sequence of play to achieve higher scores.

#4878 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I bought the standard for the classic look. Hardware has year warrenty and beagle boards are cheap

Beagle?

#4879 6 years ago

Black board in the picture.

DSC00084 (resized).JPGDSC00084 (resized).JPG

#4880 6 years ago
Quoted from chancegino:

Does anybody had any issues with play field wear in the shooter lane? See pics of mine, only have a couple hundred plays and game is less than 6 months old.

Hi
thats a fault in the plywood that they have attempted to fix ,seem from the photos that they have used a filler to cover up the air pocket in the ply(from when the ply was made ) exposed after the machine has routed out the ball trough, not much i think you can do about it> but if you want stop any more damage, i on all my machine use a strip of markalon think its 0.9mm thick, cut around the obstacles and gently use a heat gun to mould the product into the curvature of the trough
works well ...see Photo before heat gun

20180405_141228 (resized).jpg20180405_141228 (resized).jpg

#4881 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

Sometimes new rubber needs to be stretched a little. Sort of pull out on the rubber and rotate it around on the sling.

#4882 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

LTG beat me to it on that Mine was doing the exact same thing except it was the right sling. Had to adjust the sensitivity and its been fine ever since.

Also have buzzing glass. Fixed it about 90% with electrical tape. I think I saw a link somewhere to a more specialized product. I was thinking of maybe going with some invisiglass at some point so I might check out other options.

#4883 6 years ago

Is there any huge difference between the Le and the Se besides the topper and the powdercoat? I’m debating between the two

#4884 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Is there any huge difference between the Le and the Se besides the topper and the powdercoat? I’m debating between the two

Topper
Mirrored blades
Warranty
Powder coating
LED in the Mini Saucers

Its actually worth the extra $1K if you can even find one

#4885 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Topper
Mirrored blades
Double the Warranty
Powder coating
LED in the Mini Saucers

#4886 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Ptownpin covered it.

You can read the differences at the CGC website :

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php

#4887 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Topper
Mirrored blades
Warranty
Powder coating
LED in the Mini Saucers

I’m in the same boat SE v LE...if I get one.

Topper: don’t care
Mirror blades: like them but doesn’t matter, can easily add later.
Warranty: I ‘think’ I’m ok with the SE warranty. Have no idea what the issues have been that warrant having an extended warranty though.
Powder coating: could care less. I actually like the classic throwback stainless
LED mini saucers: this is actually the only thing I care about honestly in the LE, so is THIS worth the $1k extra?

#4888 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Warranty: I ‘think’ I’m ok with the SE warranty. Have no idea what the issues have been that warrant having an extended warranty though.
Powder coating: could care less. I actually like the classic throwback stainless
LED mini saucers: this is actually the only thing I care about honestly in the LE, so is THIS worth the $1k extra?

Not to me, I went with se and love it.

#4889 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

POWER OFF.
Adjust the slingshot leaf blade switches on the left sling so they are less sensitive. With the slingshot plastic off, look down at the blades. Front long one should just be touching the rubber ring. Not pushing it. Shorter rear one close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it. Yet vibration doesn't give extra kicks.
A tweak or two and you should be fine.

#4890 6 years ago

The LED mini saucer lightshow was the clincher for me. Logic of measuring value vs the price difference seems pointless. Get what you like an can afford.

#4891 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

The LED mini saucer lightshow was the clincher for me. Logic of measuring value vs the price difference seems. Get what you like an can afford.

Same with me. Lighted saucers sold me

#4892 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

The topper MAKES the game. It's not just for decoration and is interactive with the game.

#4893 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Nope....if u don't care about trim color, mirror blades or topper its an easy decision

#4894 6 years ago

Even though I don’t care about the topper. I’m wondering if my kids will get a hoot out of it (5 year old). But is 5 minutes of his attention and laughter worth $1k lol. Usually is for us dads

#4895 6 years ago

I'm not sure you're really talking about a 1k difference. You could always get an LE and sell the board and topper. I'm not sure what that would sell for today, but I bet the topper alone would fetch a substantial amount.

#4896 6 years ago

Different strokes for different folks. That’s the great thing about having three models

I wanted mine to look just like my original, hence I bought a classic addition.

Can’t go wrong with any of them

#4897 6 years ago

You can’t go wrong with any of them. The Martian Green trim on the LE surprised me with how much I like it. Beautiful powder coating.

#4898 6 years ago

LE is epic

#4899 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Topper
Mirrored blades
Warranty
Powder coating
LED in the Mini Saucers

I'm pretty sure the price difference was $700 on these.

#4900 6 years ago

The mini saucer light show is an absolute must for me. That's the one single thing I couldn't live without on this game. They did an amazing job there with the 2 (red/green) colors and the way they pulse after the shields go down and the way they spin at the start of multiball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/98?hl=jmagla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.