pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 212.
#4051 6 years ago

Personally I don't think the colors are that big a deal, but the planking and warranty issues are a really BIG deal in my mind.

#4052 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Personally I don't think the colors are that big a deal, but the planking and warranty issues are a really BIG deal in my mind.

I agree. I don't think comparing remake PF colors with original PF colors is all that interesting for AFMr owners. From my perspective, the bigger deal is comparing AFMr PF's with other AFMr PF's. Again, I'll use Stern's AC/DC PF issues as an example. When the game was released, the first run had very cloudy under-PF windows (caused by some funky clear coat that didn't cure properly with the large/clear plastic insert). When folks started selling, it became a resale issue (i.e. buyers were concerned if the example for sale had the "cloudy window" or not). The games with the cloudy windows were worth less to many buyers. So while some of these aesthetic issues obviously don't effect gameplay, they can effect resale value.

snaroff

#4053 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree. I don't think comparing remake PF colors with original PF colors is all that interesting for AFMr owners. From my perspective, the bigger deal is comparing AFMr PF's with other AFMr PF's. Again, I'll use Stern's AC/DC PF issues as an example. When the game was released, the first run had very cloudy under-PF windows (caused by some funky clear coat that didn't cure properly with the large/clear plastic insert). When folks started selling, it became a resale issue (i.e. buyers were concerned if the example for sale had the "cloudy window" or not). The games with the cloudy windows were worth less to many buyers. So while some of these aesthetic issues obviously don't effect gameplay, they can effect resale value.
snaroff

Is there a resale issue with the MMRs that have the faded print on the inserts and now may use the diffuser?

#4054 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

snaroff

The ACDC lower play field window is what prevented me from buying the game. For what ever reason the cloudy window really bothered me. I ended up buying the ACDC Premium Vault, which has a clear window....I've been really happy with it....

#4055 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

Just saw a Denver CL ad for an original AFM and the colors in question look yellow.
denver.craigslist.org link

They sure do which goes to show there is color variability in the original AFM playfields as well, which shouldn’t be a big surprise. Can’t believe he is asking $6500 for a machine in such rough condition. You can get a new AFMr Classic for that.

#4056 6 years ago

It doesn't matter what side of this argument you land on. The bottom line is, the playfield issues (planking, chipping, and colors) are legitimate reasons to be unsatisfied with your purchase.

This is more about the piss poor service that CGC provided (or didn't) to resolve these issues with the customers. If you had a minor issue (as I did in the beginning) it was handled very rapidly. But anything past a few plastics replacements seems to be where the warranty on these games and the service from CGC ends.

The real sad part about this for me, is that I was so stoked to buy that next game! But the way my case, and many others I have read have been handled, I just can't do it with confidence and good faith.

And if you're in the camp that has no complaints, then consider yourself lucky, and know that your next purchase with them could very well be one with issues, and at that point, you may have some empathy for the others here who are dealing with that.

#4057 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Though I agree that nude laser blasts are odd looking and make little sense in the world as we know, the "colors are off everywhere" is only true if your comparing to the original. However the "colors are off" in general terms is subjective, as I would argue that the trees look more green in the remake which looks better IMO. To me, I don't care if it deviates from the original (that's why I picked up the LE and not a classic model), as long as it looks better and of course that is all a matter of opinion.

But shouldn't the playfield at LEAST match the plastics? THAT'S the problem with the nude playfield color mistake. It's CLEARLY a mistake because it doesn't even match the same design on the plastics.

#4058 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Is there a resale issue with the MMRs that have the faded print on the inserts and now may use the diffuser?

For those of us who do not know the answer to this... I"m assuming there is NOT issue at all with MMr resale if it has a diffuser compared to one without the issue? I"m curious to find out. I think maybe the nude is a more unique playfield and potentially may be worth more in the future?... not sure.

#4059 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But shouldn't the playfield at LEAST match the plastics? THAT'S the problem with the nude playfield color mistake. It's CLEARLY a mistake because it doesn't even match the same design on the plastics.

Agreed. As I stated, the nude laser blasts doesn't set well with me (personally), as such the rest of the matching nude on the playfield doesn't either. Maybe there are others that it doesn't bother?

#4060 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

For those of us who do not know the answer to this... I"m assuming there is NOT issue at all with MMr resale if it has a diffuser compared to one without the issue? I"m curious to find out. I think maybe the nude is a more unique playfield and potentially may be worth more in the future?... not sure.

The reason hot pink CFTBL playfields sell for more is that they look so much better than the others.

Do the nude look better? Not in my eyes.

#4061 6 years ago

How do I clean my Attack From Mars Remake Limited Edition? Is there a special procedure, for example if it was on a route? Do I need to use wax? I have a full playfield protector.

#4062 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

How do I clean my Attack From Mars Remake Limited Edition? Is there a special procedure, for example if it was on a route? Do I need to use wax? I have a full playfield protector.

We have playfield protectors on every machine we own. We like to keep the playfield as "minty" as possible. We vacuum the whole machine inside and out and around the playfield. We spray Novus no1 on a rag and use that the clean the playfield, rubbers, targets, etc etc. If the protector has been on for a while and you feel the ball is slowing down on the protector, we put a small amount of Novus No2 on the protector. Enough not to leave a residue. Machine will play like lightening! We have never fitted a playfield protector to a routed machine so cannot help you out there. Good luck!

#4063 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

I am still waiting to see a perfect CGC purchase experience. Everyone who said theirs were perfect have shown issues. A perfect game is zero issues even minor.

I have never purchased a perfect game from any manufacturer; even if the perfect game was manufactured and boxed up, by the time it reached its destination and is setup it is likely going to have some issue that popped up.

#4064 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Yes but how did they originally match colors on the Bally games as there was little difference. Difference between years or manufactures of the playfeild for games like CFTBL that three different manufactures made but was still the correct color. I doubt they are mixing all 13 colors daily. They are buying these and ran out of orange. What about the other manufactures how are they matching the colors? On monster bash the colors are more important than afm. You have a second level of quality control on the other games such as stern or JJP. They inspected or reject the playfeild prior to installation. The rejects go back to the playfeild manufacture. With CGC they accept all which they feel are fine so the errors go into the games without the second layer of quality control.
I am still waiting to see a perfect CGC purchase experience. Everyone who said theirs were perfect have shown issues. A perfect game is zero issues even minor. On mmr there were plenty of perfect games. Seems quality control is down. This is why there aren’t only a handful of people with these issues there are many more. People just don’t know it until this thread.

I had a perfect experience. Is there something i need to do to show you this?

I also had a perfect experience on an IMv and ST Pro NIB

#4065 6 years ago

Nothing is perfect. Remember, if it isn’t broken, it’s not pinball.

#4066 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I have never purchased a perfect game from any manufacturer; even if the perfect game was manufactured and boxed up, by the time it reached its destination and is setup it is likely going to have some issue that popped up.

I’ve actually had very good luck with nib games. Twd prem, IMve, acdc premVE, SW pro and AFMr all arrived perfectly. Twd prem, needed slight adjustment to bg ramp with a cliffy, AFMr needed adjustment to kill switch at coin door, not much more really. Dialed in needed a lot of work by those standards as did hobbit. Either way, it’s all good, I like fixing games...most days.

#4067 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Yes, you should wax your playfield as this will help prevent wear and make it easier to clean. If there are any particles on the playfield, I vacuum it off first, then go over the playfield with a micro-fiber cloth got get fine dirt off, and then apply a new coat of Carnauba Wax.

#4068 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yes, you should wax your playfield as this will help prevent wear and make it easier to clean. If there are any particles on the playfield, I vacuum it off first, then go over the playfield with a micro-fiber cloth got get fine dirt off, and then apply a new coat of Carnauba Wax.

even on a full playfield protector?

Thanks!

#4069 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Wax won't stick to it.

LTG : )

#4070 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Thanks!

Its really up to you on if you want to wax it or not and how often you clean it, realistically you can run thousands of games through it without cleaning it and it will be okay, it's just going to play slow and look like crap A waxed playfield is going to play faster than a non-waxed one and will make it easier to get the grime off vs cleaning a dry board; the trade off is its a pain to keep it waxed. For what its worth I also wax my ramps and balls for the above mentioned reasons.

Quoted from LTG:

Wax won't stick to it.
LTG : )

hmmm

Well that kinda sux...

#4071 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Remember, if it isn’t broken, it’s not pinball.

That cute, little saying was so much more palatable at 4K for a NIB pinball machine.

#4072 6 years ago

I get why some anal people do it but I'd never put a PF protector on any pin i own.

Mylar, cliffys etc. no doubt

IF i ever played a pin i own to the point where the PF got beaten to shit I would just replace it with a Micro or tear it down and have it re cleared.

I also wouldn't pay anybody any more for a pin that had a PF protector on it versus not. I don't care what the PF looks like if it has 40k plays on it, you still have to "restore" and tear down most of the pin anyhow.

I want the real experience as much as possible.

#4073 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I get why some anal people do it but I'd never put a PF protector on any pin i own.
IF i ever played a pin i own to the point where the PF got beaten to shit I would just replace it with a Micro or tear it down and have it re cleared.
I also wouldn't pay anybody any more for a pin that had a PF protector on it versus not. I don't care what the PF looks like if it has 40k plays on it, you still have to "restore" and tear down most of the pin anyhow.

Whether you like playfield protectors or not, just have fun and enjoy your game! Happy flippin'!

#4074 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

What I am told is CGC does not offer Cliffy's with the games due to purists.

I guess technically I would fall into the "purist" category which allows me in a unique position to comment on this. I personally would like to have protectors on the known high damage areas since I'm not a fool.

Now as a "purist", there are actually things that really annoy me with both MMr and AFMr but I haven't commented on them to date.

The main thing is this: If they really want to appease the "purists" and make a game as close to the original as possible, then please tell me why it is that with 25 years of innovation over the archaic electronics of yesteryear, I cannot turn on my machine and start playing a game within 10 seconds? Why does it now take "new technology" at least five times as long to start?

I believe that my question and the answer to the Cliffys is actually the same single word answer ... cost.

#4075 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

e main thing is this: If they really want to appease the "purists" and make a game as close to the original as possible, then please tell me why it is that with 25 years of innovation over the archaic electronics of yesteryear, I cannot turn on my machine and start playing a game within 10 seconds? Why does it now take "new technology" at least five times as long to start?
I believe that my question and the answer to the Cliffys is actually the same single word answer .

That is a really good question. It seem to really annoy some people. It might be a question for Loyd.

#4076 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

That is a really good question. It seem to really annoy some people. It might be a question for Loyd.

It’s the emulation of WPC that runs on the ARM chip on the BBB. Emulation is slow unless you work really, really hard to make it faster. Diminishing returns for a substantial investment to be honest.

#4077 6 years ago

Hmm so It’s just slow because it has to boot ip the old WPC program. Crazy

#4078 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Hmm so It’s just slow because it has to boot ip the old WPC program. Crazy

First, the BBB has to boot up enough to grab the image from ROM and then start whatever emulation they use. There’s a fixed cost for the firmware that boots up the BBB and then whatever is after it. I dunno how they constructed it but emulation is never fast and WPC isn’t native ARM instruction set, so the problems begin right there. Computation across emulated instruction sets are pretty slow. I wish it was faster to play, too, but it’s not a huge deal to me personally.

#4079 6 years ago

Yeah it doesnt bother me either. Definitly not as slow as PC based machines.

#4080 6 years ago

Any word from the distributor on a resolution with CGC?

#4081 6 years ago

Nope Crickets....

#4082 6 years ago

Is it possible MB goes up in the pinside top 100 if the remake comes out? I'm trying to decide if I'll plan on getting MMr or MBrLE. AFMr, MMr and MBr are all similar in game layout ( fan ) and I don't think I have room for all 3, only 2.

#4083 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Is it possible MB goes up in the pinside top 100 if the remake comes out? I'm trying to decide if I'll plan on getting MMr or MBrLE. AFMr, MMr and MBr are all similar in game layout ( fan ) and I don't think I have room for all 3, only 2.

Had all 3 at same time and only afm is left and it was here way before the other's. Afm is the best for flow, speed and code imo.

#4084 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Had all 3 at same time and only afm is left and it was here way before the other's. Afm is the best for flow, speed and code imo.

I can't imagine ever letting my AFMrLE go. I have a TNA on the way. I wonder if CCr would also make that one go up in the top 100, and if there is a chance CCrLE would be a better game than the original with the color and add-ons if any... That one would be different enough than MMr and MBr.

#4085 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I guess technically I would fall into the "purist" category which allows me in a unique position to comment on this. I personally would like to have protectors on the known high damage areas since I'm not a fool.
Now as a "purist", there are actually things that really annoy me with both MMr and AFMr but I haven't commented on them to date.
The main thing is this: If they really want to appease the "purists" and make a game as close to the original as possible, then please tell me why it is that with 25 years of innovation over the archaic electronics of yesteryear, I cannot turn on my machine and start playing a game within 10 seconds? Why does it now take "new technology" at least five times as long to start?
I believe that my question and the answer to the Cliffys is actually the same single word answer ... cost.

Although I totally respect the "purist" although not really sure what that means....the CGC excuse that they don't want to offend the purist is total BS....its all about costs...its frankly a stupid business decision since the protectors would help eliminate a lot of their problems....

#4086 6 years ago

Based on that thought the "purists" probably wouldn't want an awesome extra large DMD with high res color display, the best topper in pinball, and upgraded playfield lighting but CGC was concerned about installing offensive Cliffy style protectors? Maybe playfield protection could have been included on the purist offending LEs and Special Editions?

#4087 6 years ago

Had an urge to play AFM tonight (even though I still haven't put all the Cliffys on) and ended up beating it for the third time on my first game. Had a lot to finish with just one ball left, and having it cradled on that right flipper with the RTU scoop to hit was intense!

Come on CGC!!! You made a great game here! Stand behind it!!!!!

#4088 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hated the way a BM66 played with a full PF protector on it.

How people can say they play the same is beyond me

#4089 6 years ago

i also don't like pf protectors

the are looking scratched after some months and it is not the same play

i prefer a shiny pf with some dimples

#4090 6 years ago

Does anyone have a scan of the original epilepsy sticker . I would like to print one out.

#4091 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

and if there is a chance CCrLE would be a better game than the original with the color and add-ons if any

They are going to have to produce a really good code in order for CCr to be better than CCC. All the big displays and interactive toppers in the world won't matter to me without that. And with all the recent play field issues, I am glad I bought an original.

#4092 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

As I said before the reason the last two CGC remakes shoots to top list is a lack of the number of reviews. New games always start higher and drift over time. We all love these games as both were in the top 10 to start with. You have 90 new people get games they all rate high. Takes over 600 reviews to have a true rating. Owners usually rate higher. Former owners lower and people who play on location or at a friends usually are the best reviews. Again on all the others rating lists CGC remakes is not different than original. Afm game play is great and warranty issues will never change that.

#4093 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

AFM IS pinball IMO. Some games people say: “that’s my fav” and you wonder... but if anyone ever says “AFM is my fav” you just nod in approval.

#4094 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Does anyone have a scan of the original epilepsy sticker . I would like to print one out.

I wld like to have this also

#4095 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

They are going to have to produce a really good code in order for CCr to be better than CCC. All the big displays and interactive toppers in the world won't matter to me without that. And with all the recent play field issues, I am glad I bought an original.

Could they not use the CCC code somehow? I don't know enough about it, but what makes CCC so much better than CC?

#4096 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Could they not use the CCC code somehow?

No they cant. They will have to come up with their own completed code. In the mean time Eric is working on an update for Continued. That will be awesome!

#4097 6 years ago

Are the saucer decals on the backboard standard on all models? I have them on my se, but I've seen pics of the LE without them.

#4098 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Are the saucer decals on the backboard standard on all models? I have them on my se, but I've seen pics of the LE without them.

Yes... early sanples didnt have them

#4099 6 years ago

Like many I have had multiple issues with my AFMr (2nd batch) and you guys as well as CGC have all been great to assist in the fixes - thanks to all. I provided some feedback on one fix and Doug called me on a Sat to get further understanding. When talking to him he seems like he really wants to do the right thing. LTG, Arturo, Doug and an engineer (Greg?) have all been great when I spoke with/e-mailed them.

I do get a bit ainx when I read this thread as I am afraid what else bad may pop up. But I have learned a lot from the fixes and love the game and get there will always be things that need to be done to dial a game in. Just wish, considering this is my first NIB purchase, there were not as many issues to deal with..... but as my favorite saying goes - it is what it is. And I really feel for everyone with wood/color issues - I am lucky mine escaped those.

All said I am happy I got this game - only played AFM once on route (at Whysnow's joint when I traveled to Wisconsin to buy DM) and the GF loved it so bought it based on that 1 experience and all the great reviews by a lot of you.

To lighten this thread a bit thought I would share these pics. From one Pinsider I got the idea of covering games with beach towels to cut down on dust when not using so ordered for TZ, ST & POTC. From another Pinsider (sorry to both - should have looked up names for specific credit) got the idea of using Walmart to make a beach towel from a pic. So my GF snapped and cropped 2 pics from my AFMr (traslite and side of head) to create 2 towels - one for the head for little martian dude topper one for the playfield (I have sun that comes in my room from very high window with no blind- I understand stickers are treated better these days but rather reduce sun exposure and dust).

Really appreciate this site on so many levels - Pinball is such a blast to play but a lot different level when ya own the game so this site support is invaluable. Eevery time I walk by one of my games I just smile and think "it is fen awesome I have pinball games in my crib!". Kinetic art (quote by another Pinsider) is spot on!

Cheers!

AFM towel #1 (resized).jpegAFM towel #1 (resized).jpeg

AFM towel #2 (resized).jpegAFM towel #2 (resized).jpeg

#4100 6 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

Like many I have had multiple issues with my AFMr (2nd batch) and you guys as well as CGC have all been great to assist in the fixes - thanks to all. I provided some feedback on one fix and Doug called me on a Sat to get further understanding. When talking to him he seems like he really wants to do the right thing. LTG, Arturo, GF snapped and cropped 2 pics from my AFMr (traslite and side of head) to create 2 towels - one for the head for little martian dude topper one for the playfield (I have sun that comes in my room from very high window with no blind- I understand stickers are treated better these days but rather reduce sun exposure and dust).
Really appreciate this site on so many levels - Pinball is such a blast to play but a lot different level when ya own the game so this site support is invaluable. Eevery time I walk by one of my games I just smile and think "it is fen awesome I have pinball games in my crib!". Kinetic art (quote by another Pinsider) is spot on!
Cheers!

That is really awesome, can you post the 2 pictures you used?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

5,400 (OBO)
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.