Oddly I dont care about chipping on my playfields, maybe Im in the minority? I think that cliffy's are super good to cover wear if it shows up. I buy new in box to enjoy years of use without the cliffy's or additional mylars applied, they do affect game play.
I can add mylars as needed over worn areas to increase the playfield life before replacement but thats years down the road.
1. Pouring a bucket of heavy hard steel ball bearings on nicely painted and clearcoated plywood is probably not recommended.
2. I realize that pinball machines are very much like sports equipment, if you play hard it will break and have to be replaced.
3. I play hard. My wife has over 1500 hours of play on my WOZ alone (its a heavy game and she gets a lot of tilt warnings).
4. I buy pinball machines to play, not as art or an investment. Again, am I in the minority or the majority?
5. The years of enjoyment I get from my collection far outweigh the cost compared to other activities. A cruise is $8000 and is over in a couple weeks. $1000 a day to go to Hawaii the list goes on and on....
JMHO Let the debate continue!