IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0408 (resized).JPG
IMG_0407 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 211.
#3351 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Apologies if I mistakenly drew that conclusion, but it does come across like that. I've never heard of a single game from any supplier of any era that did not have a single issue.

It’s pinball. And we’re discussing edge chipping, etc and none of that has been a issue for me. My clear is really nice. I haven’t had to adjust anything on my AFM. It’s been good so far (knock on wood).

My MMR had an issue with the board in the head that they replaced and I had to bend a ball guide to stop the ball from hitting the slingshot but that’s about it other than a bolt falling out of my left flipper during a really good game. A 3 second fix.

I have been reasonably lucky with my NIB games. It’s my actual 20+ year old games that need occasional attention. But all in all, my games have been pretty well behaved.

All good.

#3352 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

So ive been following this thread for a good while and i was interested in picking any of the remakes up in may(fingers crossed). Frankly im a bit concerned about some of the issues people are having less than a year after they've dropped 7K+. I'm not trying to throw salt in no wounds but is anything being done about these issues?

Unfortunately I am in at $8450 in my MMRLE with color dmd upgrade and $8300 in AFMr le. I think that is a lot of money and with a LE I expect a premium product. I am willing to be patient but please don’t get ready to announce a new remake title game when you can’t produce the current titles correctly. How do you produce the plastics so the crack/craze? CGC should know this with PPS? All these little things add up to time to fix by the purchaser. It is like they don’t play theirs games they produce. Bending the wire form can be figured out by playing. Missing screws, loose bolts etc is lack of quality control.

#3353 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

did all my afmr chores today (apart from cliffies). plastic protectors rock!

Looks good. Your playfeild has orange not the “nude” screen mess up.

#3354 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Unfortunately I am in at $8450 in my MMRLE with color dmd upgrade and $8300 in AFMr le. I think that is a lot of money and with a LE I expect a premium product. I am willing to be patient but please don’t get ready to announce a new remake title game when you can’t produce the current titles correctly. How do you produce the plastics so the crack/craze? CGC should know this with PPS? All these little things add up to time to fix be the purchaser. It is like they don’t play them. Bending the wire form can be figured out by playing. Missing screws, loose bolts etc is lack of quality control.

CGC doesn’t make plastics.

Tons of outside suppliers make pieces for Stern and CGC. Ramps, metal pieces, inserts, etc, all made in and around Chicago. CGC is really a cabinet shop at heart; they make things out of wood. And now, they assemble pinball machines. But look online for the tour from Expo. They are a woodworking shop at their core.

#3355 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Nature of the beast I suppose. The shooter lane in my 1 year old MMR was starting to look like my 22 year old TOM!
The true shame is that a lot of people (many right here in this thread) just accept it.

I agree I have no idea why they accept it. Like calling their kid ugly. They are worried on their “investment” so the are blinded by the truth. If CGC get these issues fixed our games last longer thus retain value.

#3356 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

CGC doesn’t make plastics.
Tons of outside suppliers make pieces for Stern and CGC. Ramps, metal pieces, inserts, etc, all made in and around Chicago. CGC is really a cabinet shop at heart; they make things out of wood. And now, they assemble pinball machines. But look online for the tour from Expo. They are a woodworking shop at their core.

Yes I know but their partner PPS is in Williams/Bally part supply business and making plastics. When you assemble you are responsible for the parts you use and source.

#3357 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

No cliffys anywhere.

How is your screening colors? True colors no planking lines?

#3358 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

How is your screening colors? True colors no planking lines?

No planking lines. Colors look fine to me. Not sure what I am supposed to compare it to

#3359 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Yes I know but their partner PPS is in Williams/Bally part supply business and making plastics. Whem you assemble you are responsible for the parts you use and source.

Absolutely they are. Good thing anyone who had an issue got replacement plastics.

But doesn’t s—t happen? Make enough games, things don’t always go according to plan, you correct and move on? I work on software and this is very much how it goes.

#3360 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Absolutely they are. Good thing anyone who had an issue got replacement plastics.
But doesn’t s—t happen? Make enough games, things don’t always go according to plan, you correct and move on? I work on software and this is very much how it goes.

Software different than manufacturing as recalls can break your profitability in manufacturing. Software you issue a update. I still do both.

We have no idea how long the replacement plastics will last. I know of a new AFMr that had the same plastic issues we chatted on and a recent build date. Why would they not have corrected it?

#3361 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Software different than manufacturing as recalls can break your profitability in manufacturing. Software you issue a update. I still do both.
We have no idea how long the replacement plastics will last. I know of a new AFMr that had the same plastic issues we chatted on and a recent build date. Why would they not have corrected it?

That’s a good question.

And enough software bugs impact profitability too

#3362 6 years ago

Is there an adjustment that can be made when the ball keeps popping from the inlane into the outlane? Mostly thus happens when it is coming in from the ramps but sometimes it’s happening when a fast ball goes down the inlane. It’s pretty frustrating when you are having a good game that suddenly drains when it shouldn’t!!!!

#3363 6 years ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

Is there an adjustment that can be made when the ball keeps popping from the inlane into the outlane? Mostly thus happens when it is coming in from the ramps but sometimes it’s happening when a fast ball goes down the inlane. It’s pretty frustrating when you are having a good game that suddenly drains when it shouldn’t!!!!

This is the result from the ball spinning mostly. If it happens off the ramp (ball drops into the inlane then magically moves up and into the outlane), it usually can be fixed by adjusting the wireform (moving the ramp in away from the bumper post) I had this happening on my Champion Pub on both sides. It really got my wife riled up as that is her favorite game. Try moving the wire form ramp around a bit to get the ball to drop right the middle of the inlane!

#3364 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I don’t. And if I did, I would disclose it.
I would love to work in the pinball industry; sounds like fun.
And if you’d like to inspect my games that I paid full retail for, please do.
Edit: I wrote the how to update firmware guides and gave it to CGC because they are a PC shop and have no idea about Mac and I’m pretty passionate about Apple and wanted to help fellow Mac folks who are into pinball. I wrote it as a Pinside post first and gave them a PDF for their own support since the work was already done.
I did it because I wanted to, not because someone asked me.

If you would be willing to share your playfield serial number, that would be a huge help since I think there is a relation to when each one was manufactured to the types of issues. My playfield is 840 something ( I'll check again ) and there was a tiny bit of chipping under the mothership before I put on the cliffy ( tiny tiny bit ) and also a very tiny bit ( just enough to notice ) on the shooter lane before I installed that cliffy too. I don't see any chipping at the SOL and have not put the cliffy there yet and am keeping the mantis. I don't see any damage anywhere else.

#3365 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

If you would be willing to share your playfield serial number, that would be a huge help since I think there is a relation to when each one was manufactured to the types of issues. My playfield is 840 something ( I'll check again ) and there was a tiny bit of chipping under the mothership before I put on the cliffy ( tiny tiny bit ) and also a very tiny bit ( just enough to notice ) on the shooter lane before I installed that cliffy too. I don't see any chipping at the SOL and have not put the cliffy there yet and am keeping the mantis. I don't see any damage anywhere else.

Would be happy to. I’ll check when I get home tonight.

I’m not against Cliffys and if my game started to show damage and I would put a cliffy on (as I did with my TAF; tried to avoid it and the realized I needed it). But I would rather keep the game the way it was designed.

#3366 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Would be happy to. I’ll check when I get home tonight.
I’m not against Cliffys and if my game started to show damage and I would put a cliffy on (as I did with my TAF; tried to avoid it and the realized I needed it). But I would rather keep the game the way it was designed.

If you can, take a pic of the hole under the mothership and the shooter lane so everyone can see there are in-fact examples of durable clearcoats on AFMr. The SOL on mine is not chipping and I just have the mantis that came with it.

#3367 6 years ago

Just recieved the V2 chip today and it's now installed but the screen still shows V1.
Anyone have any input on this ?

#3368 6 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Just recieved the V2 chip today and it's now installed but the screen still shows V1.
Anyone have any input on this ?

that is normal I think. The firmware on Pic2 was updated, not the game software I think...

#3369 6 years ago

Correct. The PIC version isn’t displayed anywhere (except on the chip label). But if you turn the flipper strength down, it will actually feel weaker, which is how you know it’s working.

#3370 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Correct. The PIC version isn’t displayed anywhere (except on the chip label). But if you turn the flipper strength down, it will actually feel weaker, which is how you know it’s working.

Ok.Thanks for the info

#3371 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Those look great! Where did you pick them up? I’m thinking about some of those and some translucent rubbers.

pinbits.

#3372 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Does anyone have a well used unprotected AFMr playfield with no chipping?

my guess is no.

#3373 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Not a single issue. Got mine early in August and have played it a lot. No edge chipping or any other issues.

Please pose a closeup pic of your SOL hole, I would like to see the positioning of the mantis and surrounding area

#3374 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Please pose a closeup pic of your SOL hole, I would like to see the positioning of the mantis and surrounding area

Sure thing. I hope my game is ready for its closeup...

#3375 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

And enough software bugs impact profitability too

Apparently not, which is very unfortunate; if you compare Sterns profits with their indifference to the software they release, you will see it has little effect on profits.

#3376 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Sure thing. I hope my game is ready for its closeup...

Much appreciated.

#3377 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Apparently not, which is very unfortunate; if you compare Sterns profits with their indifference to the software they release, you will see it has little effect on profits.

I was speaking outside of pinball, but yes, point taken.

#3378 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I was speaking outside of pinball, but yes, point taken.

True, this would likely not be tolerated by consumers in another product.

#3379 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

But doesn’t s—t happen? Make enough games, things don’t always go according to plan, you correct and move on

We are still waiting for the correction part
Then we can move on.

#3380 6 years ago

My ticket for plastic cracking was approved and new ones are on the way.

That’s good news!

#3381 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

y ticket for plastic cracking was approved and new ones are on the way.

Are you going to put them on right away or save em?

#3382 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Are you going to put them on right away or save em?

I will put them on.

#3383 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

My ticket for plastic cracking was approved and new ones are on the way.
That’s good news!

You're talking about the documented ink crackling, not the plastic itself cracking, right?

#3384 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You're talking about the documented ink crackling, not the plastic itself cracking, right?

It was the graphics shrinking or stretching cracking or crackling.

Not the plastic it’s self physically damaged. I don’t know what it is being called.

But CGC took care of it!

#3385 6 years ago

I have had my pinball machine 2 months. Looked closely today. Has wood chipping to the right and left of mothership hole. Sol looks okay.
Never had topper or flipper issues. Placed the new pic2 last week but the flipper strength feels no different. Had ramp issue but fixed that. Should i add mylar or go right to cliffys?

B7EF476B-7161-4123-B840-7CBF858250EA (resized).jpegB7EF476B-7161-4123-B840-7CBF858250EA (resized).jpeg

2993FEE1-D373-4FA6-AE09-ABFD82A20758 (resized).jpeg2993FEE1-D373-4FA6-AE09-ABFD82A20758 (resized).jpeg

#3386 6 years ago

I had the same chipping and installed Cliffy’s. Not sure about Mylar at this point.

#3387 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

I had the same chipping and installed Cliffy’s. Not sure about Mylar at this point.

I went on website to buy cliffys and you have to email him to purchase cliffys. Is that correct or am i missing something?

#3388 6 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I went on website to buy cliffys and you have to email him to purchase cliffys. Is that correct or am i missing something?

Nope. Email him and let him know you have the remake. He'll reply back and let you know the options and cost. He's making a set for me.

#3389 6 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I have had my pinball machine 2 months. Looked closely today. Has wood chipping to the right and left of mothership hole. Sol looks okay.
Never had topper or flipper issues. Placed the new pic2 last week but the flipper strength feels no different. Had ramp issue but fixed that. Should i add mylar or go right to cliffys?

That's nasty. You're way past mylar. Get a cliffy (or actually ALL of them) on that machine, stat. Note that you must request a set for the remake. The original AfM ones are slightly different.

#3390 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Apologies if I mistakenly drew that conclusion, but it does come across like that. I've never heard of a single game from any supplier of any era that did not have a single issue.

My TWDLE had zero issues. 2k plays. Ghostbusters had minor wear at 2k in the shooter lane...and I mean REAL MINOR. My DILE has ZERO wear at around 700 plays

#3391 6 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

My DILE has ZERO wear at around 700 plays

With no cliffy’s? My DILE scoops showed signs of chipping after 20 games before I put cliffy’s on.

And I’ve had both the other games, both of which required major tweaking/complete playfield swaps.

#3392 6 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

My TWDLE had zero issues. 2k plays. Ghostbusters had minor wear at 2k in the shooter lane...and I mean REAL MINOR. My DILE has ZERO wear at around 700 plays

Eventually everyone loses at Russian Roulette. Don't play it.

#3393 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Eventually everyone loses at Russian Roulette. Don't play it.

PinMonk ‘s Public Service announcement! Ignore at your own risk.

#3394 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

With no cliffy’s? My DILE scoops showed signs of chipping after 20 games before I put cliffy’s on.
And I’ve had both the other games, both of which required major tweaking/complete playfield swaps.

It's kind of odd that the SIM card scoop is where most of the damage crops up, despite the shots well known difficultly *AND* it isn't a VUK! Weird...

snaroff

#3395 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It's kind of odd that the SIM card scoop is where most of the damage crops up, despite the shots well known difficultly *AND* it isn't a VUK! Weird...
snaroff

I think it has to do with the irregular shape of the hole and the speed/distance of a made shot. An extended flipper to the SIM hole is shorter than from the lower flipper to the phone hole, and there's no metal on the back side of the SIM hole to protect it even a little like there is at the phone scoop. You're taking a rocket shot straight to exposed wood on the inside back of the SIM hole if the SIM hole is unprotected.

#3396 6 years ago

Here’s mine. That white stuff around the SOL is under the Mylar. Backing paper maybe? Never really noticed it until tonight. But the edge is smooth and no chipping.

Shooter is clean. Saucer hole might have the slightest little bit on the left edge as I’ve actually never looked under the ship. It’s not visible so I have no plans to throw a cliffy on there. To me, that’s just fine. Maybe others feel different, but it’s OK here.

Number 209 branded on the PF edge.

D086C7A5-C9F1-4F6C-8B02-765363489049 (resized).jpegD086C7A5-C9F1-4F6C-8B02-765363489049 (resized).jpeg

AB51F167-336C-4F15-A045-68F6000C0613 (resized).jpegAB51F167-336C-4F15-A045-68F6000C0613 (resized).jpeg

85170671-283C-4DDA-8EC0-837ED899D57A (resized).jpeg85170671-283C-4DDA-8EC0-837ED899D57A (resized).jpeg

052D3066-66F3-4926-9130-55CCBDF80732 (resized).jpeg052D3066-66F3-4926-9130-55CCBDF80732 (resized).jpeg

#3397 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Here’s mine. That white stuff around the SOL is under the Mylar. Backing paper maybe? Never really noticed it until tonight. But the edge is smooth and no chipping.
Shooter is clean. Saucer hole might have the slightest little bit on the left edge as I’ve actually never looked under the ship. It’s not visible so I have no plans to throw a cliffy on there. To me, that’s just fine. Maybe others feel different, but it’s OK here.
Number 209 branded on the PF edge.

That mothership hole on the left side is getting pretty beat up already. You're playing with fire to leave it nekkid.

It also looks like the Front half SOL edge on the right running behind the black post may be chipping/lifting.

#3398 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That mothership hole on the left side is getting pretty beat up already. You're playing with fire to leave it nekkid.

Why? It’s a hole in the wood under a ship, behind a drop target and normally behind a bank of targets. I can’t see it unless I look for it. It’s not like SOL or the chair hole in TAF that stares at you.

#3399 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

if my game started to show damage and I would put a cliffy on

Quoted from pintechev:

Why? It’s a hole in the wood under a ship, behind a drop target and normally behind a bank of targets. I can’t see it unless I look for it. It’s not like SOL or the chair hole in TAF that stares at you.

Which is it? You've said two different things on the same subject in the span of one page - you are showing damage.

#3400 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

snaroff

Quoted from PinMonk:

I think it has to do with the irregular shape of the hole and the speed/distance of a made shot. An extended flipper to the SIM hole is shorter than from the lower flipper to the phone hole, and there's no metal on the back side of the SIM hole to protect it even a little like there is at the phone scoop. You're taking a rocket shot straight to exposed wood on the inside back of the SIM hole if the SIM hole is unprotected.

The edges aren't bevelled either on the sim scoop. That's where the clear chips. Plus its a weird angle - hits the side wood first.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, SC
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
15,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
There are 10,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 211.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.