pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 212.
#2751 6 years ago

The solid ones I’ve completed but it’s causing the ones beside to glow/light up.

#2752 6 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Anyone else getting ghosting leds when they complete some of the rtu inserts?

Is it really ghosting or just the LED a side of the unlit one. They are all surface mount so Im sure its just the light extending from the other insert.

#2753 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Stroke of Luck will award Video Mode as the next reward after Super Jets has been completed

Thanks for posting this.

#2754 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Is it really ghosting or just the LED a side of the unlit one. They are all surface mount so Im sure its just the light extending from the other insert.

Maybe a way to test this is to go to lamp test and light each one of those. If the condition exist under the test, then it is as you say just light deflection from the other LEDs not ghosting. Maybe then he should try a lower insert light setting.

#2755 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

So today I realize on I’m getting a lot of dimples on my play field. Pissing me off. Is this normal? Anybody else having problems with the play field bubbling up? To me it’s making the game look ugly. Anyway to fix this? Help!

Dimples are completely normal. All playfields have dimples. If there are enough they start to merge together so the playfield actually looks smooth.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-dimple-reality-check

Here is a photo of an original AFM showing a sea of dimples. Again, perfectly normal.

IMG_2531 (resized).JPGIMG_2531 (resized).JPG

#2756 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

So today I realize on I’m getting a lot of dimples on my play field. Pissing me off. Is this normal? Anybody else having problems with the play field bubbling up? To me it’s making the game look ugly. Anyway to fix this? Help!

Best solution to avoid dimpling is to remove the balls, and only stare at the game from this point on.
Problem solved!

#2757 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Best solution to avoid dimpling is to remove the balls, and only stare at the game from this point on.
Problem solved!

Or play the crap out of it until they all blend together.

#2758 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Maybe then he should try a lower insert light setting.

So I played around with mine and dropped the insert LED setting to Min. It made a difference on the "Light Bleed Over" .

#2759 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I use an 8" long piece aluminum and hold it against ball guide rail; then, I just move the flipper paddle up to it and lock it down.

How exactly do you adjust the flippers? I’m new to the pinball game and want to get my machine running way it should. Can you take me thru the steps? Don’t know what I’m doing. Thanks in advance

#2760 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

How exactly do you adjust the flippers? I’m new to the pinball game and want to get my machine running way it should. Can you take me thru the steps? Don’t know what I’m doing. Thanks in advance

You mean a mechanical adjustment right? Why do want to adjust them?

#2761 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

How exactly do you adjust the flippers?

It's actually pretty easy, essential all you have to do is loosen the locking nut, possition the flipper where you want it and tighten it back down; this needs to be pretty tight, I usually tightened them until they are pretty snug and then go another 1/8 - 1/4 turn on the wrench. If these are too loose you will know right away as the flipper will slip.

You also want to ensure you have proper vertical play (amount it move when you pull up on it), you have a small plastic tool in your parts bag for aligning this, but its difficult to get set properly with it so most people adjust these to "feel"; unfortunately, this means you have to know what the right amount is to start with. a little under 1/16" is what I shoot for.

I aligned mine to the rail, the main reason for this is for a better ability to capture and hold the ball, this does make the game easier to play. The game is designed for the flippers to be adjusted with an alignment pin that you insert in the hole behind the flipper, then bring the back edge of the flipper (with no rubber installed) against the pin and then lock it down.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2762 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Dimples are completely normal.

Agreed! What I am observing, is that the dimpling and the scratches (vertical lines) seem to be more visible due to the High Gloss Clear Coat and the LED lighting. I do believe the dimples will even out over time so I am not worried. I just think that what people are seeing is more visible now with the way the PFs
are clear coated. I have the same dimples vertical lines in my MM they are just not as visible. I can see these issues as being deal breakers for some high profile future buyers. Not a big issue for me.

#2763 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Agreed! What I am observing, is that the dimpling and the scratches (vertical lines) seem to be more visible due to the High Gloss Clear Coat and the LED lighting.

I agree! I know people have also complain about this on newer Stern machines and compared this dimpling to older games like LOTR which doesn't show any dimpling at all.

The above statement is partially true as I can look at my LOTR and I don't see any dimples anywhere; however, if I turn on my shop lights and look at the playfield at an angle there are dimples everywhere, you just cant see them as the playfield is just not as reflective and the lighting is not nearly as bright.

#2764 6 years ago

It’s also a color thing. The dark blue on my SW makes them stand out. The colors on AFM are different and show it less. And they have the exact same dimples.

#2765 6 years ago

So yeah this just happened
My left wire ramp broke looks like it snapped off on the weld. Don’t know how that happened. Probably the way the ball flies around so damn fast. (Turned down coil to -5) Now my ball gets stuck when I shoot the lane. Opened up a ticket. Barely week old machine. Just my luck

645EBD72-6E96-4914-8D91-1761B83ADC11 (resized).jpeg645EBD72-6E96-4914-8D91-1761B83ADC11 (resized).jpeg

#2766 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

My left wire ramp broke looks like it snapped off on the weld. Don’t know how that happened. Probably the way the ball flies around so damn fast. (Turned down coil to -5) Now my ball gets stuck when I shoot the lane. Opened up a ticket. Barely week old machine. Just my luck

From vuk /lock return

#2767 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

Man that stinks! Defective wire form.

#2768 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

From vuk /lock return

Anyway for a quick fix? Has this ever happened to one of your pins?

#2769 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Agreed! What I am observing, is that the dimpling and the scratches (vertical lines) seem to be more visible due to the High Gloss Clear Coat and the LED lighting. I do believe the dimples will even out over time so I am not worried. I just think that what people are seeing is more visible now with the way the PFs
are clear coated. I have the same dimples vertical lines in my MM they are just not as visible. I can see these issues as being deal breakers for some high profile future buyers. Not a big issue for me.

I've got PDI glass and you notice it worse!

#2770 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

This is VERY rare, while I've had a defective wireform before, I wasn't due to a broken weld bet because the welder got metal on the top side that was causing the ball to hop when it rolled over the area.

Dont take this the wrong way, as the wireform will need to be replaced; but, it doesn't appear that this would make the game unplayable...what problem is the broken weld causing?

#2771 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is VERY rare, while I've had a defective wireform before, I wasn't due to a broken weld bet because the welder got metal on the top side that was causing the ball to hop when it rolled over the area.
Dont take this the wrong way, as the wireform will need to be replaced; but, it doesn't appear that this would make the game unplayable...what problem is the broken weld causing?

Causing the ball to get stuck in ramp. Unless it goes in the ramp 100 miles hr it’s getting stuck messing up my game

#2772 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

Causing the ball to get stuck in ramp. Unless it goes in the ramp 100 miles hr it’s getting stuck messing up my game

CGC should sort you out quickly. Sorry it happened.

#2773 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

Yeah an overnight fix! Get some of that 3m clear epoxy. Mix it up and put a small glob on that weld. That should hold you til you get your new wireform.

#2774 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

CGC should sort you out quickly. Sorry it happened.

Thanks. Yeah it sucks. Feels like everyday it something else with this machine. But I still love it. Opened a ticket with CGC. Hopefully they can resolve this.

#2775 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

Thanks. Yeah it sucks. Feels like everyday it something else with this machine. But I still love it. Opened a ticket with CGC. Hopefully they can resolve this.

Sorry you are going through this...oddly, my AFMRLE was (is) completely solid right out of the box, and I've had it for months (first release group). Had one LED go out on a mini saucer, and they sent me a replacement within a week.

Solid machine....hope your's gets corrected in short order....

#2776 6 years ago

It seems like something happened over at CGC, and quality control went into the toilet with these recent builds. There is no way my machine should have left the line not being able to launch a ball smoothly. When I first got it, I was lucky enough to even get it into the pop bumpers, nevermind all the way around the orbit for a super skill shot.

#2777 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

It seems like something happened over at CGC, and quality control went into the toilet with these recent builds. There is no way my machine should have left the line not being able to launch a ball smoothly. When I first got it, I was lucky enough to even get it into the pop bumpers, nevermind all the way around the orbit for a super skill shot.

Yeah it sux but to be honest I had two of my three original AFMs do this also. Its not a CGC thing.

#2778 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Yeah it sux but to be honest I had two of my three original AFMs do this also. Its not a CGC thing.

I guess when you remake a game you also remake some problems.

#2779 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Then it should have never come off the line back then either. We shouldn't accept piss-poor quality control, because someone else did the same thing. If you see there's a problem when doing the final check of the game, then fix it before you send it out. I guarantee you, they saw this issue with my game, because it's really bad.

#2780 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Curious...were your originals natural or restored? Any intimation that originals suffer from the same quality control problems is just off target. Hopefully you are talking about a very narrow CQ issue.

I've been playing my HEP AFM all week and can't believe how much better it plays than the AFMr I owned. Ball zips around the PF with amazing strength with 0 airballs or balls falling off wireforms. 7 years since HEP restored it...thousands of plays...no PF damage with minimal protection, no wireform breakage, feels much more solid in general. Most importantly, it *plays* much better...dramatic difference in flipper feel. The AFMr flippers felt awful to me...nothing like B/W flippers.

I don't begrudge remake advocates, but any notion that remakes are inherently better than originals because they are "newer" with modern tech haven't played a finely-tuned original.

snaroff

#2781 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Curious...were your originals natural or restored? Any intimation that originals suffer from the same quality control problems is just off target. Hopefully you are talking about a very narrow CQ issue.
I've been playing my HEP AFM all week and can't believe how much better it plays than the AFMr I owned. Ball zips around the PF with amazing strength with 0 airballs or balls falling off wireforms. 7 years since HEP restored it...thousands of plays...no PF damage with minimal protection, no wireform breakage, feels much more solid in general. Most importantly, it *plays* much better...dramatic difference in flipper feel. The AFMr flippers felt awful to me...nothing like B/W flippers.
I don't begrudge remake advocates, but any notion that remakes are inherently better than originals because they are "newer" with modern tech haven't played a finely-tuned original.
snaroff

Two routes and one HUO off the original owner. The HUO and one of the routed ones needed tweaking in

These are remakes so they are not going to reengineer parts. Same BW parts we are all use to

#2782 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

snaroff

I don’t think you can or should compare a factory game to one restored and dialed in by one of the greatest restoration people in the hobby. It’s not a comment on CGC or their quality, far from it. I just don’t think that you can say that they should be the same.

#2783 6 years ago

We had 1 or 2 cancellations in our final allotment of LEs getting done in the next couple weeks... So I have a few NIB AFMR LEs up for grabs if anyone wants them...

Email Joe at [email protected]

#2784 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

but any notion that remakes are inherently better than originals because they are "newer" with modern tech haven't played a finely-tuned original.

This is an opinion. I have several "Finely Tuned" originals that I have owned for over 12 years. I don't agree. My AFMr LE will play just as good and it has improved cabinet and lighting just to name a few. There have been several people that have both the AFM original and the remake and say they cannot tell the difference between the game play. All my games play uniquely different so you can only compare them to each other so much...

#2785 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

This is an opinion. I have several "Finely Tuned" originals that I have owned for over 12 years. I don't agree. My AFMr LE will play just as good. There have been several people that have both the AFM original and the remake and say they cannot tell the difference between the game play. All my games play uniquely different so you can only compare them to each other so much...

I am really enjoying my AFMr LE. I did have the common issues to get worked out, and for the most part they have been fixed. That said, when I do play finely tuned original Bally games that are great condition, the flippers often feel better. Easier to control and trap the ball. What is your opinion on the flipper feel of your AFMr compared to your originals? How do you feel your playfield is holding up on the AFMr compared to originals?

#2786 6 years ago

My AFMr flippers feel like the original I owned. The only issue is my orbit loop sometimes bounces back from launch but I haven’t adjusted it completely yet. My guess is there is simply variability between machines in general. For example, my MMR plays better than the three MMs I’ve owned, including a high end restoration.

#2787 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

This is an opinion. I have several "Finely Tuned" originals that I have owned for over 12 years. I don't agree. My AFMr LE will play just as good and it has improved cabinet and lighting just to name a few. There have been several people that have both the AFM original and the remake and say they cannot tell the difference between the game play. All my games play uniquely different so you can only compare them to each other so much...

Improved cabinet....that's first i heard that? I much perfer the silkscreened cab over the decals tho. Also lighting can be changed to leds on the original so not much difference there and i even can customize the original lighting even more so.

#2788 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Improved cabinet....that's first i heard that? I much perfer the silkscreened cab over the decals tho.

I think he’s referring to the plywood bottom on the remake vs MDF on the original. The remake also uses melamine covered plywood.

“The game's cabinetry has been greatly improved. Both the cabinet and backbox are manufactured with melamine clad plywood. Melamine is 10 times more scratch resistant than traditional lacquer finishes. The original fiberboard cabinet bottom has been replaced with a ½" plywood bottom - significantly improving the strength of the cabinet and providing added protection for the cashbox.”

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php

#2789 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I don’t think you can or should compare a factory game to one restored and dialed in by one of the greatest restoration people in the hobby. It’s not a comment on CGC or their quality, far from it. I just don’t think that you can say that they should be the same.

I'm not saying they should be the same. What I'm saying is if someone is in the market, they shouldn't assume newer is always better. That's all. Hopefully, that's not a controversial statement!

There are MANY talented restorers. HEP might be one of the best known, but there are a significant number of restored AFM's that rock.

I love what CGC is trying to do with AFMr (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-an-le-that-feels-like-an-le), however they need to step up their attention to detail and QA. ANY company that decides to remake a classic game is going to be compared with the original!

snaroff

#2790 6 years ago

Compared to the originals I've played, it is great. I just played one in Banning at the Museum of Pinball. I bet a HEP restored AFMr would play awesome too.

#2791 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm not saying they should be the same. What I'm saying is if someone is in the market, they shouldn't assume newer is always better. That's all. Hopefully, that's not a controversial statement!
There are MANY talented restorers. HEP might be one of the best known, but there are a significant number of restored AFM's that rock.
I love what CGC is trying to do with AFMr (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-an-le-that-feels-like-an-le), however they need to step up their attention to detail and QA. ANY company that decides to remake a classic game is going to be compared with the original!
snaroff

You are so controversial

Every game is different; and you get the AFM that you can and you enjoy it.

#2792 6 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Easier to control and trap the ball. What is your opinion on the flipper feel of your AFMr compared to your originals? How do you feel your playfield is holding up on the AFMr compared to originals?

My trapping on the AFMr improved by just changing the flipper rubbers to Titan Comp Silicone. So a machines trapping ability changes with what parts are installed and a player's ability. My flippers on AFMr do feel different from my MM and SS. My SS flippers feel very different than all of the Williams games. They have a more gentle feel. (so to speak) My CC flippers feel more like the AFMr. (I really don't know why)

#2793 6 years ago

Hahahahahaha first thing that popped into my head. Oy vey.

#2794 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

My trapping on the AFMr improved by just changing the flipper rubbers to Titan Comp Silicone. So a machines trapping ability changes with what parts are installed and a player's ability. My flippers on AFMr do feel different from my MM and SS. My SS flippers feel very different than all of the Williams games. They have a more gentle feel. (so to speak) My CC flippers feel more like the AFMr. (I really don't know why)

I have been using the Titans as well and that was a big improvement over the stock rubbers. I also raised the flippers a little bit a couple of hours ago. That made a huge difference in being able to trap easier.

#2795 6 years ago

Yeah the Titans minimize the ball bounce on a raised flipper giving much improved control over original rubber(black) and even Super Bands.

#2796 6 years ago

I want everyone to know that I got the PIC 2.0 and the game is playing great now. What a blast - I love it.

#2797 6 years ago

Are distributors getting these PIC 2.0 or what?
Haven’t heard yet, Anyone get a timeframe?

#2798 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

You are supposed to contact the distributor that sold the AfM to get the PIC2.

#2799 6 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

I want everyone to know that I got the PIC 2.0 and the game is playing great now. What a blast - I love it.

Awesome! Any prior issues?

#2800 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I was told last Friday that international kits had been sent to distributors and that domestics kits were being built and shipped to distributors this week. So everyone should be getting these soon.

[email protected]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,400 (OBO)
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.