IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0408 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,549 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 211.
#2601 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I have a 4 pin collection. My games are AFMr LE, MM, CCC, and SS, I am seriously thinking about a MBr to add. I do not plan on going any larger than that.
I really don't understand why people say the games are too much alike. I personally think they compliment each other and find myself playing all 4 equally.

I realize it's up to me, and that I will have fun no matter what games I get, but I wonder, would the similarities between the 3 of the 4 pins not justify getting something like CCC or TNA instead of something very similar? I"m thinking the top list is not the best gauge of what to get for a small collection.

#2602 6 years ago

I understand the desire to ask the question, but you're never going to get an answer because, basically... to paraphrase Life Of Brian... "we're all individuals". Get what you think you'll like and if you don't like it, flip it.

#2603 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I realize it's up to me, and that I will have fun no matter what games I get, but I wonder, would the similarities between the 3 of the 4 pins not justify getting something like CCC or TNA instead of something very similar? I"m thinking the top list is not the best gauge of what to get for a small collection

Here is suggestion, Maybe have 3 that are bolted to the floor and have a pivot game. So maybe MM, MB, AFM. Then get one like GB or ST or Hobbit or maybe an older Williams like Champion Pub or NGG. The pivot game you play for awhile then move it on for something else. Keeps variety and you have your core collectors.

#2604 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

If someone wants a 4 pin collection, does it make sense to get AFMr, MMr and Monsterbash, since those are all very similar in playfied ( fan ) Would it make sense to get more of a variety for the 4?

I have 4 pins as well. MMR, AFMR, TOM, and DI. I find DI to be a good fit, because it is so different from the others. I like 90's B/W games the most, but having some with so much variety like DI makes for a nice change when you're in the mood for something else. I think something like LOTR would also be great alongside 3 classic B/W games.

#2605 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

It literally only took maybe 3 minutes all told to fix this. In my opinion the board does not need to come out. Simply overkill. At least it was for mine.

Probably is if you've done it before. If you haven't just know all 40 pins don't just fit in the socket. You have to gently put some pressure on the side not resting in the socket. I bet there will be quite a few people who've never done this before bending some legs with board in the machine. Taking it out just makes it easier, much easier.

#2606 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Not trying to complain when asking about lock bar, just not sure how to fix it and looking for advice.

Not too sure if youre problem was the same as mine...the playfield "hook" on the left was bent and the right "hook" would not seat in the little slot. Thus caused the right side of the playfield to sit too high and made it ridiculously hard to lock the bar. I tweeked and bent until the playfield hooks sat in the slots and the problem was gone. The bend was subtle on the left hook but it was the root cause of my lockbar problems.
Cheers

20180106_093902 (resized).jpg20180106_093902 (resized).jpg

20180106_093905 (resized).jpg20180106_093905 (resized).jpg

20180106_095810 (resized).jpg20180106_095810 (resized).jpg

#2607 6 years ago
Quoted from Dodgey:

Not too sure if youre problem was the same as mine...the playfield "hook" on the left was bent and the right "hook" would not seat in the little slot. Thus caused the right side of the playfield to sit too high and made it ridiculously hard to lock the bar. I tweeked and bent until the playfield hooks sat in the slots and the problem was gone. The bend was subtle on the left hook but it was the root cause of my lockbar problems.
Cheers

Thx for the advice and pics. When I have time I'm determined to get this working properly. I'm having fun playing rather than tweaking the game. Right now I just reach inside the coin door and push the silver lever down then it catches.

#2608 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Here is suggestion, Maybe have 3 that are bolted to the floor and have a pivot game. So maybe MM, MB, AFM. Then get one like GB or ST or Hobbit or maybe an older Williams like Champion Pub or NGG. The pivot game you play for awhile then move it on for something else. Keeps variety and you have your core collectors.

i like it!

#2609 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

If someone wants a 4 pin collection, does it make sense to get AFMr, MMr and Monsterbash, since those are all very similar in playfied ( fan ) Would it make sense to get more of a variety for the 4?

It would absolutely make sense to get AFMr, MMr, and MBr in a 4 pin collection. Those machines are the top 3 because they are arguably the most fun games ever made. I only have room for 2 machines so it will be AFMr and probably MBr, but I’d love an MMr as well. I really don’t think you can do better in my opinion. The themes are all very different as well. Whthrs166’s suggestion is excellent.

#2610 6 years ago

All 3 get old in a small collection....trust me. I had all 3 and 6 other pins and now only afm remains. Variety is a good thing imo . Reason y i only have 1 stern pin is bc they all feel basically the same imo.

#2611 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

All 3 get old in a small collection....trust me. I had all 3 and 6 other pins and now only afm remains. Variety is a good thing imo . Reason y i only have 1 stern pin is bc they all feel basically the same imo.

Couldn't agree more on AFM/MM/MB...shit, I had all of them in a large collection and they got old

Sounds like you haven't played enough Sterns...Tron, AC/DC, and LOTR are all classics and very "different" games.

snaroff

#2612 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Couldn't agree more on AFM/MM/MB...shit, I had all of them in a large collection and they got old
Sounds like you haven't played enough Sterns...Tron, AC/DC, and LOTR are all classics and very "different" games.
snaroff

Sorry meant most strens after 2011 feel very similar imo....

#2613 6 years ago

Everything gets old. If you’ve never owned them then go for it. I have mmr, have afmr coming this week and will buy mbr this summer if it comes out.

#2614 6 years ago

I bought my SE Sunday. Should have it within a week or two.
I completed reading all the post from the beginning of the thread (did get side tracked a few times...)

When it comes to mods, in general, do the original AFM mods fit the AFMr machines?

#2615 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

I bought my SE Sunday. Should have it within a week or two.
I completed reading all the post from the beginning of the thread (did get side tracked a few times...)
When it comes to mods, in general, do the original AFM mods fit the AFMr machines?

Cliffys do not, you need to ask specifically for the remake ones.

#2616 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Tend to disagree here. Stern bars have no adjustment. So when they get loose... then what. I had a LOTR that had a loose lock bar, I never could figure a way to tighten it. I really like W/B lock bars because they can adjust. I have all my games dialed in just right on the lock bar tightness.

Weatherstripping foam works great to snug them back up.

#2617 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Weatherstripping foam works great to snug them back up.

Good Idea! Hadn't thought of that.

#2618 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

This is an opinion that varies from person to person. I too have had a large collection with all of these. I like the term "staying power". IMHO MM and AFM have the most staying power. (one of the reasons they are ranked as high as they are in the polls) These games are great anchor games for a small to midsized collection. I also have a SS that is HUO that I have had for over 12yrs. I really like it when someone says that its too easy and gets old quick. I will ask them how many times have they been "Spider Champion" (one of the hardest achievements in pinball) Since now you can pick up a MMR or a AFMr and soon a MBr for a decent price, (or maybe a nice original) it's a slam dunk in my book to own all three!

#2619 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

This is an opinion that varies from person to person. I too have had a large collection with all of these. I like the term "staying power". IMHO MM and AFM have the most staying power. (one of the reasons they are ranked as high as they are in the polls) These games are great anchor games for a small to midsized collection. I also have a SS that is HUO that I have had for over 12yrs. I really like it when someone says that its too easy and gets old quick. I will ask them how many times have they been "Spider Champion" (one of the hardest achievements in pinball) Since now you can pick up a MMR or a AFMr and soon a MBr for a decent price, (or maybe a nice original) it's a slam dunk in my book to own all three!

Sure, everyone has different priorities & tastes. Getting to a machines ultimate wizard mode (which is hopefully uncommon for most machines) and the day-to-day experience of playing it are 2 different things. For me, a pinball collection should also have diversity of designers...

snaroff

#2620 6 years ago

So I got my AFMr LE yesterday. Number 799/1000. The dealer and I set it up and sure enough I knew right away something was wrong because the topper only had the alien's eyes lit. Otherwise the topper was non-responsive.

Then I played it. OMG - the flipper power was so high! Air balls left and right, balls flying off wireforms, etc. Basically unplayable. So now I have the beautiful machine but it's really unplayable. Of course I didn't adjust the flipper strength lower because we've been told not to by CGC. Yesterday I put in a support ticket for the new chip but I've yet to hear a response.

Does anyone have an idea how quickly I'll here a response and get the updated chip. It's so disappointing waiting all this time to get the game and then have it staring at you, unplayable.

#2621 6 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Does anyone have an idea how quickly I'll here a response and get the updated chip.

Contact who you bought it from to get it and find out.

LTG : )

#2622 6 years ago

It sounds like pic v2 may start shipping to dealers next week.

#2623 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Contact who you bought it from to get it and find out.
LTG : )

Yesterday I was with my distributor and he called CGC while I was standing there. CGC said that I had to file a ticket online, which I did. So based on this call, it was out of my distributor's hands. Were we told something incorrect?

#2624 6 years ago

Are we able to order the PIC 2.0 directly from CGC rather than waiting for our dealers to get them? My dealer didn't even know they were supposed to be getting them.

#2625 6 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

So I got my AFMr LE yesterday. Number 799/1000. The dealer and I set it up and sure enough I knew right away something was wrong because the topper only had the alien's eyes lit. Otherwise the topper was non-responsive.
Then I played it. OMG - the flipper power was so high! Air balls left and right, balls flying off wireforms, etc. Basically unplayable. So now I have the beautiful machine but it's really unplayable. Of course I didn't adjust the flipper strength lower because we've been told not to by CGC. Yesterday I put in a support ticket for the new chip but I've yet to hear a response.
Does anyone have an idea how quickly I'll here a response and get the updated chip. It's so disappointing waiting all this time to get the game and then have it staring at you, unplayable.

The guys at CGC are extremely responsive. As long as you have your ticket completed they will contact you.
The original was the same, air balls everywhere when new! We have the new PIC V2.0. Do not expect the new firmware to resolve all your air balls, it does go a long way to helping as the default flipper strength on the new firmware is weaker than 1.0. The new firmware is untested in the field so we have left our CGC menu strength settings to default for now.

#2626 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

The guys at CGC are extremely responsive. As long as you have your ticket completed they will contact you.
The original was the same, air balls everywhere when new! We have the new PIC V2.0. Do not expect the new firmware to resolve all your air balls, it does go a long way to helping as the default flipper strength on the new firmware is weaker than 1.0. The new firmware is untested in the field so we have left our CGC menu strength settings to default for now.

From what I've read, and asked multiple times, you should be able to now adjust your flippers without being in fear of destroying the board. If you adjust a couple notches down, you should see a noticeable difference

#2627 6 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

From what I've read, and asked multiple times, you should be able to now adjust your flippers without being in fear of destroying the board. If you adjust a couple notches down, you should see a noticeable difference

My understanding is that with PIC 2.0, you can set the game up however you want; aka, they fixed the bug.

#2628 6 years ago

Used to have MM and MB here at work before ownership changed and the pins went with the old owners (a dark day indeed). Even having played the hell out of MM, not having it anymore I have come to realize it is a pin I really really want to own one day. It is just such a fun pin with a great layout. MB was a great pin as well but for me personally, not quite sure it rises to the level of wanting to own. Maybe the remake will change my mind!

#2629 6 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Yes CGC have said we can adjust the flipper strength if we want. We just made a couple of air ball protectors instead. Machine is still really fast and smooth. The default strength on the new firmware is weaker than before so that helped as well.

IMG_4425 (resized).JPGIMG_4425 (resized).JPG

#2630 6 years ago

Airball protectors? Wow. Hopefully they are temporary. Once a pinball machine is dialed in, airballs should be a rare occurrence.

snaroff

#2631 6 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

I got mine early Jan and had same topper problem. I had some airball but my game still very playable and fun. I put in a ticket with CGC and they responded right away. Had the new PIC in a few days. It fixed my topper problem. I went -2 on my flipper strength and haven’t noticed any airball. I still have to do ramp fix as mine fails about 20% of the time but that doesn’t bother me that much. I love this game and glad I bought it. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another new game from CGC if I had the $ but it’s unlikely I’ll have the $ for another new pin.

#2632 6 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Yesterday I was with my distributor and he called CGC while I was standing there. CGC said that I had to file a ticket online, which I did. So based on this call, it was out of my distributor's hands. Were we told something incorrect?

This is what I was told by my dealer! ???? The dealers do not know what is going on. (or at least some of them) This looks bad on CGC. If you have a plan for distributing a solution to a problem that includes all the dealers, please include the dealers in the plan! Or just send the chip your customers that filled out and turned in the warranty card.

#2633 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Airball protectors? Wow. Hopefully they are temporary. Once a pinball machine is dialed in, airballs should be a rare occurrence.
snaroff

Hopefully yes, they are temporary. We have not dialled anything in yet as we cannot stop playing it. My wife absolutely loves it so I made the protectors while the machine was down. If I cannot get rid of the air balls like GBLE (left ramp) or Met (sparky) I will get some nice ones made up at my local plastics shop.

#2634 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

This is what I was told by my dealer! ???? The dealers do not know what is going on. (or at least some of them) This looks bad on CGC. If you have a plan for distributing a solution to a problem that includes all the dealers, please include the dealers in the plan! Or just send the chip your customers that filled out and turned in the warranty card.

I obviously can't speak for all dealers but CGC regularly emails us with details of what is going on. I am well aware of the plan to send out the PICs to us and then we will be responsible for shipping them to our customers. I have notified all my customers at least a week or two ago of this fix and that I would be in touch with them.

[email protected]

#2635 6 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

I obviously can't speak for all dealers but CGC regularly emails us with details of what is going on.

Yeah this is really confusing. Wonder why some dealers are all over it and some are clueless?

#2636 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Yeah this is really confusing. Wonder why some dealers are all over it and some are clueless?

we need a system

#2637 6 years ago

I’ll be receiving my AFMR SE next week. So much info in all the preceding post, thanks to all.

A general question. Do mods from AFM for ARMr ?
Do some parts from AFM fit AFMR ?

#2638 6 years ago

Noticed decal starting to peel. Should I put some sort of glue or something over it so it doesn't get worse?

IMG_0118 (resized).JPGIMG_0118 (resized).JPG

#2639 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Noticed decal starting to peel. Should I put some sort of glue or something over it so it doesn't get worse?

wow, that sucks man... I sure hope mine does not do that It it a home use only? Did you hammer on the thing to wear-tear it?? It looks like it hit a corner of a door while being moved or something...

#2640 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

I noticed a slight bit of peeling in the top corner of my MMR, but nothing at all like that. I'd get in touch with CGC about that.

#2641 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Looks like cab is starting to separate also at the joint like some stern pins were?

#2642 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Looks like cab is starting to separate also at the joint like some stern pins were?

I have a TNA coming and was debating not getting the butter/clearcoat finish, but now that I know the stuff can peel, I'll go with the butter... CGC should offer clearcoat cabs!.. unless having clearcoat cabinet is a bad idea?

#2643 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

It almost looks like the lockdown bar is scuffed and the plastic on the push button plunger has a nick also.

#2644 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I have a TNA coming and was debating not getting the butter/clearcoat finish, but now that I know the stuff can peel, I'll go with the butter... CGC should offer clearcoat cabs!.. unless having clearcoat cabinet is a bad idea?

If the cab is separating at the joint (as it looks like in that pic) clear is not going to stop it and may make the cracking and peeling worse. But this is a good example of why wrap-around cabinet stickers are a bad idea.

#2645 6 years ago

I never understood why they stick around the corner.

Maybe it’s clever to cut the corners before it starts.

#2646 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If the cab is separating at the joint (as it looks like in that pic) clear is not going to stop it and may make the cracking and peeling worse. But this is a good example of why wrap-around cabinet stickers are a bad idea.

I just checked my cab, and it's cracking just like that, but not as bad yet, but starting for sure. I'm not sure I'm willing to accept that.

#2647 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I just checked my cab, and it's cracking just like that, but not as bad yet, but starting for sure. I'm not sure I'm willing to accept that.

I won’t accept

#2648 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Oh, Oh... do you mean something else ( maybe serious) is wrong? The cabinet itself is cracking? The bar itself is possibly scuffed because I've been trying and trying to adjust it to work easily, which I've failed to do. It's on nice and tight but I will struggle every time I need to deal with it. I don't think anything is wrong with the launch button. I"ll look closer when I get home. I didn't notice the decal until today. I'd think I would of noticed it right away but didn't until today. It is possible it happened moving it. I had to take it out of the box to fit through the very last door. I was very careful and I don't think I did t. I'm not sure what CGC could do about it. I love the game and don't plan on getting rid of it. I just don't want it getting worse.

#2649 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

It's interesting that mine is cracking exactly the same way, with that small white crack near the black rail showing now. I've turned off my shaker for now.

#2650 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

It's interesting that mine is cracking exactly the same way, with that small white crack near the black rail showing now. I've turned off my shaker for now.

Can you show a pic of what yours is doing? I thought it was "just" a tear in the wrap around decal. Now you have me worried.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 210.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
There are 10,549 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 211.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.