IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0408 (resized).JPG
IMG_0407 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 211.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

UPDATE: I decided to open a ticket with CGC over the weekend for the SOL hole protector, if for no other reason as to make sure they are aware of the problem, and they called me this morning to discuss the issue. What I was told is that one of their engineers had already identified this as a potential problem when the first playfields were being assembled and they have already taken action to correct the issue. As for my machine, they are sending me a new hole protector that should be tall enough to provide the proper protection for this area.
If you find that you have a gap larger than 1/64" between the top of the protector and top of the playfield, you may want to consider opening a support ticket in order to receive a replacement.

Just wanted to follow up on this real quick...

I purchased a Cliffy and also received the replacement protector from CGC. I have to say CGC was very responsive on this and contacted me by phone after I opened the ticked, and again after they shipped the part to me to let me know its on the way. While I haven't installed either protector yet, I do know that they are different enough that a cliffy will not use the same screw locations and by performing a trial fitting on the edge of playfield, it looks as though the CGC hole protector will be a perfect fit, where the Cliffy is a hair higher than the top of the playfied, of course it should be simple to just install a shim underneath the screw tab to get it flush with the top of the playfield.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Rounded up to the nearest 1/4" ... After you pull the carton off the shipping pallet 30.5" x 31.25" x 56.5"

Thanks Pin_Guy, that's a big help! The gate opening on my Jeep GC is 31.0" at its tallest, so I'll plan for another un-boxing party in the parking lot. Good to know in advance; no surprises.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Thanks Pin_Guy, that's a big help! The gate opening on my Jeep GC is 31.0" at its tallest, so I'll plan for another un-boxing party in the parking lot. Good to know in advance; no surprises.

You can rent a uhaul trailer that will hold it for $25 with insurance.

#104 6 years ago

Yes, UHaul. I had been contemplating renting a cargo van, but one of those small trailers would make better sense and cost less.

Excellent idea.

/Edit/

Wow, UHaul rental, 4x8 enclosed trailer = $14.95 - I think I can swing that!

My back will appreciate the nice low deck on this thing!

#105 6 years ago

Ok, so I am 58 years old and thinking seriously about buying this Pin. I have a pre teen and a teenager at home that I think will enjoy it with friends..... any of you club members close to my age? Am I just a big kid?

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Ok, so I am 58 years old and thinking seriously about buying this Pin. I have a pre teen and a teenager at home that I think will enjoy it with friends..... any of you club members close to my age? Am I just a big kid?

Were all big kids welcome your not alone

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Yes, UHaul. I had been contemplating renting a cargo van, but one of those small trailers would make better sense and cost less.
Excellent idea.
/Edit/
Wow, UHaul rental, 4x8 enclosed trailer = $14.95 - I think I can swing that!
My back will appreciate the nice low deck on this thing!

I would spend the extra $4 to get the 5x8. The 4x8 is really short.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Hah, I'm also 58. 27yr old son long moved out to LA, also a pinhead. I bought AFMr for me!

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I would spend the extra $4 to get the 5x8. The 4x8 is really short.

Curious Nexyss. Why get the larger trailer if the carton would easily fit in the smaller? Is it a towing/handling concern?

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Curious Nexyss. Why get the larger trailer if the carton would easily fit in the smaller? Is it a towing/handling concern?

I don't think it will easily fit in there. That trailer is only about 4 ft tall. I have used it for unboxed pins, and it is fine, but you would need to lay the box on its side in that trailer. It is also easier to strap the load in the 5x8. The 4x8 is really tiny.

#111 6 years ago

Been on location 15 days..

IMG_5163 (resized).JPGIMG_5163 (resized).JPG

IMG_5164 (resized).JPGIMG_5164 (resized).JPG

IMG_5165 (resized).JPGIMG_5165 (resized).JPG

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I don't think it will easily fit in there. That trailer is only about 4 ft tall. I have used it for unboxed pins, and it is fine, but you would need to lay the box on its side in that trailer. It is also easier to strap the load in the 5x8. The 4x8 is really tiny.

Huh, the Uhaul website lists 4x8 trailer dimensions as 37in wide (inside door), 39in tall (outside height) and 8ft length (outside len). The carton dimensions are ~32in x 32in x 56in - lying down this should fit just about perfectly.

Maybe I am missing something obvious - wheelwells, etc.?)

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/4x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/UV/

- thx

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Been on location 15 days..

Zentron, awesome. Hows the traffic compared to nearby machines?

Any electrical or mechanical issues yet. Chipping?? Did you add any mylar to shooter lane, SOL, out hole?

#114 6 years ago

Potential new issue with the machine, but before I go into the details I want to mention that this machine hasn't been played since Jun 24th when I first noticed the SoL hole issues, and it was set up mainly for testing only and has only been played for a handful of hours.

Today I noticed what appears to be a small crack in the artwork in the upper left corner of the cabinet, this is right where the joint is cut
to bond the cabinet; seems like the cabinet issues that Stern has been taking heat over lately isn't isolated to Stern.

IMG_2174 (resized).JPGIMG_2174 (resized).JPG

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Huh, the Uhaul website lists 4x8 trailer dimensions as 37in wide (inside door), 39in tall (outside height) and 8ft length (outside len). The carton dimensions are ~32in x 32in x 56in - lying down this should fit just about perfectly.
Maybe I am missing something obvious - wheelwells, etc.?)
https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/4x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/UV/
- thx

That's what I said, you would have to lay it down in the little one. It will fit, but I can pretty much guarantee you will wish you had the bigger one before you are done.

#116 6 years ago

This thing is Beautiful...

IMG_9414 (resized).JPGIMG_9414 (resized).JPG

IMG_9409 (resized).JPGIMG_9409 (resized).JPG

IMG_9415 (resized).JPGIMG_9415 (resized).JPG

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Potential new issue with the machine, but before I go into the details I want to mention that this machine hasn't been played since Jun 24th when I first noticed the SoL hole issues, and it was set up mainly for testing only and has only been played for a handful of hours.
Today I noticed what appears to be a small crack in the artwork in the upper left corner of the cabinet, this is right where the joint is cut
to bond the cabinet; seems like the cabinet issues that Stern has been taking heat over lately isn't isolated to Stern.

My MMR was delivered 2 weeks ago and looks just like that on both sides. I will need to check my AFMR. Interested in finding out what the problem is.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

My MMR was delivered 2 weeks ago and looks just like that on both sides.

Interesting, I inspected my MMR arfer seeing this and it's still perfect on both sides.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Zentron, awesome. Hows the traffic compared to nearby machines?
Any electrical or mechanical issues yet. Chipping?? Did you add any mylar to shooter lane, SOL, out hole?

The location has 20 pins, Id say it should be a top 5 earner.

The machine is 100% stock and has no issues as of yet..

#120 6 years ago

SoL Hole update:

I finally got around to installing the replacement hole protector CGC sent me and it looks like its going to prevent any further damage to the clear coat.

IMG_2209 (resized).JPGIMG_2209 (resized).JPG

#121 6 years ago

Anyone know when the LE's will start shipping?

#122 6 years ago

Everything thing I've heard or been told says end of this week or beginning of next..... so any minute now if not already!

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Anyone know when the LE's will start shipping?

I've been told that mine will ship early next week.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

I've been told that mine will ship early next week.

Matching S/N or not?

#125 6 years ago

Sorry guys are you saying cliffys won't fit on the remake? I have been waiting three weeks for cliffy to send me protection for this game.... for the saucer hole, SOL scoop and the drop target? Should I get a refund from cliffy? Does CGC sell protectors?

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Sorry guys are you saying cliffys won't fit on the remake? I have been waiting three weeks for cliffy to send me protection for this game.... for the saucer hole, SOL scoop and the drop target? Should I get a refund from cliffy? Does CGC sell protectors?

Cliffys are great and offer complete protection. They should fit well enough on this game.
The included protector is the mantis amusements style protector. It should do the job excellently also.

The mothership slot protector that cliffy offers is a great idea for long time protection as well as the other ones in the complete setup.

I think most of the enthusiasts in this group will probably get some of the cliffys too.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Matching S/N or not?

Matching

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Cliffys are great and offer complete protection. They should fit well enough on this game.
The included protector is the mantis amusements style protector. It should do the job excellently also.
The mothership slot protector that cliffy offers is a great idea for long time protection as well as the other ones in the complete setup.
I think most of the enthusiasts in this group will probably get some of the cliffys too.

Ohhhh good. I thought I read earlier that the cliffys weren't fitting good. Glad to hear that's not the case. Patiently waiting for cliffys so I can put it on location.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

If there is enough demand, I would imagine that Cliffy would make a slightly modified set of protectors specifically for the remake. (Or so I hope).

#130 6 years ago

Cliffy has just mailed me the 5-piece (SOL, drop target, saucer, and shooter lane) set so I'll post back how they fit sometime early this week. I also ordered rollovers for the out/in lanes.

Has anyone lit their SOL hole yet with a mod?

I can't wait to get a LE topper. The SE clearly has the capability to accept the LE topper and the same mini-saucer lights that the LE has if they were to ever offer them for sale in the future. There are holes in the mini-saucers where LED lights could fit.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Matching S/N or not?

i paid for my matching wednesday... won't get it for a while as I'm in the UK.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Cliffy has just mailed me the 5-piece (SOL, drop target, saucer, and shooter lane) set so I'll post back how they fit sometime early this week. I also ordered rollovers for the out/in lanes.
Has anyone lit their SOL hole yet with a mod?
I can't wait to get a LE topper. The SE clearly has the capability to accept the LE topper and the same mini-saucer lights that the LE has if they were to ever offer them for sale in the future. There are holes in the mini-saucers where LED lights could fit.

I tried today to fit Cliffy's in the SOL hole and couldn't get it to fit in tandem with the factory hole protector. The mothership Cliffy's worked great. Had to modify 1 mounting hole, but that's it.

#133 6 years ago

Feel like I'm outside a velvet rope waiting to get in. Really looking forward to it!

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

Feel like I'm outside a velvet rope waiting to get in. Really looking forward to it!

That's it! Ticket in hand, just waiting for the next group to go in.

#135 6 years ago

The factory protector on AFM remake will be sufficient to prevent wear at that area.

Quoted from Higloss67:

I tried today to fit Cliffy's in the SOL hole and couldn't get it to fit in tandem with the factory hole protector. The mothership Cliffy's worked great. Had to modify 1 mounting hole, but that's it.

#136 6 years ago

I agree it should protect that area, but would definitely advise Cliffy protectors on the mothership area. My game has about 350 plays and is already chipping the clear coat. Received it the end of June.
Left side of hole behind drop target. Looks like chipping clear coat is still a problem.

IMG_1944 (resized).JPGIMG_1944 (resized).JPG

IMG_1947 (resized).JPGIMG_1947 (resized).JPG

#137 6 years ago

Looks like the clear is so thick to be chipping like that. Is there any chance they are putting too much clear on these?

#138 6 years ago

Is it just me, or does it seems like CGC should have been well aware of these issues from the original game, and could have easily come up with something to put it place to prevent it?

I'm in for an LE, and the more I see this sort of stuff, the more I wonder if it's worth it.

I have had a load of issues with my MMR right out of the box, and if I go down the same road with the AFM, it will likely be my last CGC purchase.

#139 6 years ago

Good luck with the LE Damien. It is so frustrating paying 8k for a toy to have it start falling apart in a month.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

Good luck with the LE Damien. It is so frustrating paying 8k for a toy to have it start falling apart in a month.

I'm going into this with optimism. Hoping that the AFM works nicely out of the box, so I can enjoy it for a while before I need to start reaching for tools.

So far with my MMR, I've had to repair both flippers, the castle multi ball door has completely dropped off, one troll has come loose, the castle drawbridge was not working for a while, the ball guides are totally off, and I still haven't managed to get them playing the way it did when I first got it, etc, etc, etc... I get that these are all minor things, but as a first time owner, it's pretty frustrating.

#141 6 years ago

Does anyone know approximately how many LE AFMrs are left? I don't know if there is anyway to tell. I want to buy one but will have to sell my TAF and convince the wife first. It looks like the TAF is probably sold but haven't made the sales pitch yet to wife. I was just wondering about how much time I had. I don't want to miss out on the LE that's the one I want. I wouldn't be able to pick it up until October anyway so I would want to get one of the later build games. I would be fine getting one of the last ones.

#142 6 years ago

Pinball Star has some I think... Joe is really great to deal with. Totally refundable deposit if things don't work out!

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Does anyone know approximately how many LE AFMrs are left? I don't know if there is anyway to tell. I want to buy one but will have to sell my TAF and convince the wife first. It looks like the TAF is probably sold but haven't made the sales pitch yet to wife. I was just wondering about how much time I had. I don't want to miss out on the LE that's the one I want. I wouldn't be able to pick it up until October anyway so I would want to get one of the later build games. I would be fine getting one of the last ones.

I still haven't heard of any distributors who are sold out. I would imagine that will change quickly once they start shipping. I think there are probably quite a few people waiting to see if they are going to get these out (close to) on time, and if there are any issues.

Most distributors will let you move to the end of the list if you want, so probably a good idea to order now if you want one.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm going into this with optimism. Hoping that the AFM works nicely out of the box, so I can enjoy it for a while before I need to start reaching for tools.
So far with my MMR, I've had to repair both flippers, the castle multi ball door has completely dropped off, one troll has come loose, the castle drawbridge was not working for a while, the ball guides are totally off, and I still haven't managed to get them playing the way it did when I first got it, etc, etc, etc... I get that these are all minor things, but as a first time owner, it's pretty frustrating.

I would like to pipe in to say that My service with CGC has been amazing. The machine played great right from opening it up, and i had to do a service call that i thought was an issue, but turns out it was me not knowing how to get through the menu. But they answered my warranty ticket within 24 hours of it being created, and didn't stop till I had all my answers met. I did a service request to Stern 6 day ago and still have heard nothing. I said screw it and found a fix around it.
The quality of my AFMR and the service I have received so far from CGC has me saving my money for their next remake without a doubt. just my two cents.

#145 6 years ago

Got the Cliffy's installed today on my AFMr SE.

In order to install the Cliffy SOL front/back protector, I had to remove/relocate the cow ramp, ramp protectors, posts, and a mini-saucer cap. Also, the SOL ball guide had to be removed and to do so, you've got to temporarily disconnect a couple wire harnesses (no big deal). Lastly, I had to hammer/chisel out the Mantis protector from the SOL. The Mantis protector popped right out with a couple light taps. In my opinion, the Cliffy offers just a bit more protection above the lips of the SOL. The Mantis protector only protects around the inside of the SOL. Don't get me wrong, they mylar'd the heck out of the playfield in these areas, but why not bulletproof it, right?

The 3-bank drop target Cliffy installed with no issues, as did the shooter lane, and rollovers.

The mothership Cliffy had one hole on the front right that did NOT quite line up with the metal ball guide (above the playfield) which guides the ball downward on a shot intended to destroy the saucer. The hole in the Cliffy was about 1/4" too far forward from the actual hole in the playfield. And after the 3-bank drop target was installed, I had to raise the 3-bank drop target a bit so the ball doesn't ever get stuck on the small width of the Cliffy (now above the playfield) whenever the 3-bank recesses into the playfield per regular play.

In review, I would absolutely recommend Cliffy protectors for the 3-bank and the mothership if you really want to protect those areas from abuse.

You can still follow most of the install instructions on Cliffy's site, so not much has changed there.

Be advised, you're going to need to temporarily remove ramps, martians, the mothership, plastics, posts, and there is some disconnecting of harnesses in order to access what you need to get at to install all of the pieces. It was about a 3-hour job (by myself) to install while taking a lot of pictures along the way.

IMG_5537 (resized).JPGIMG_5537 (resized).JPG
IMG_5535 (resized).JPGIMG_5535 (resized).JPG
IMG_5536 (resized).JPGIMG_5536 (resized).JPG
IMG_5538 (resized).JPGIMG_5538 (resized).JPG
IMG_5534 (resized).JPGIMG_5534 (resized).JPG

#146 6 years ago

I would like to pipe in to say that My service with CGC has been amazing. The machine played great right from opening it up, and i had to do a service call that i thought was an issue, but turns out it was me not knowing how to get through the menu. But they answered my warranty ticket within 24 hours of it being created, and didn't stop till I had all my answers met. I did a service request to Stern 6 day ago and still have heard nothing. I said screw it and found a fix around it.
The quality of my AFMR and the service I have received so far from CGC has me saving my money for their next remake without a doubt. just my two cents.

I'll add to that... Despite the fact that I think it's rather annoying to get a new machines with all of these little issues, anytime I have had an issue Lloyd and Doug at CGC have been right on it. I actually think Lloyd is an AI pinball tech, because no human being should know that much about anything haha!

And that is actually why I bought AFM... Even though I had my doubts, the service kept my confidence to make another purchase.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

In order to install the Cliffy SOL front/back protector, I had to remove/relocate the cow ramp, ramp protectors, posts, and a mini-saucer cap. Also, the SOL ball guide had to be removed and to do so, you've got to temporarily disconnect a couple wire harnesses (no big deal). Lastly, I had to hammer/chisel out the Mantis protector from the SOL. The Mantis protector popped right out with a couple light taps. In my opinion, the Cliffy offers just a bit more protection above the lips of the SOL. The Mantis protector only protects around the inside of the SOL. Don't get me wrong, they mylar'd the heck out of the playfield in these areas, but why not bulletproof it, right?
The 3-bank drop target Cliffy installed with no issues, as did the shooter lane, and rollovers.
The mothership Cliffy had one hole on the front right that did NOT quite line up with the metal ball guide (above the playfield) which guides the ball downward on a shot intended to destroy the saucer. The hole in the Cliffy was about 1/4" too far forward from the actual hole in the playfield. And after the 3-bank drop target was installed, I had to raise the 3-bank drop target a bit so the ball doesn't ever get stuck on the small width of the Cliffy (now above the playfield) whenever the 3-bank recesses into the playfield per regular play.
In review, I would absolutely recommend Cliffy protectors for the 3-bank and the mothership if you really want to protect those areas from abuse.
You can still follow most of the install instructions on Cliffy's site, so not much has changed there.
Be advised, you're going to need to temporarily remove ramps, martians, the mothership, plastics, posts, and there is some disconnecting of harnesses in order to access what you need to get at to do the install of all pieces. It was about a 3-hour job (by myself) to install while taking a lot of pictures along the way.

Definitely a must if u want to keep the playfield perfect.....nice write up.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Be advised, you're going to need to temporarily remove ramps, martians, the mothership, plastics, posts, and there is some disconnecting of harnesses in order to access what you need to get at to install all of the pieces. It was about a 3-hour job (by myself) to install while taking a lot of pictures along the way.

yes thanks for the write up also.... my cliffys shipped and should be the weekend job. then off on route

#149 6 years ago

AFMr Firmware update 1.0.0 can be found here:
http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm_update.php

#150 6 years ago

Just got notice from Automated that my LE is shipping mid September.....looks like I'm almost in the club!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
15,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 211.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.