pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 212.
#1401 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

My game came from the factory with a mantis type protector in the sol hole. Is more protection there really needed?

IMHO no! People just need to make sure that the Mantis is installed correctly.

#1402 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Anyone that has an AFMR on order or just received should read this ENTIRE thread and take notes. This thread has a lot of intricate and specific info on the game (From owners) and how to set it up to play correctly. Also specific issues that need correction and adjustment.

I'm through the first ten pages but intend to continue the read when I have more time. It really is a great reference guide.

#1403 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

My game came from the factory with a mantis type protector in the sol hole. Is more protection there really needed?

The area behind mothership drop target takes a beating and starts to chip quickly. Also in front of drop bank can chip over time. Apparently few people have had chipping in ball lock scoop and drain area but on my original i have no issues in those 2 areas.

#1404 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The area behind mothership drop target takes a beating and starts to chip quickly. Also in front of drop bank can chip over time. Apparently few people have had chipping in ball lock scoop and drain area but on my original i have no issues in those 2 areas

The original playfields were not clear coated like these so they didnt get the type of wear in those places (chipping)
I used Cliffy protection in the Mother Ship hole and added mylar for the target area and the lock hole. I have been watching the drain hole with no wear as of yet.

#1405 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Sorry to hear about your issues. I have an AFMr on order and look forward to comparing how it plays with my HEP AFM original (» YouTube video).
snaroff

Very interested in hearing the comparison.

#1406 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

The original playfields were not clear coated like these so they didnt get the type of wear in those places (chipping)
I used Cliffy protection in the Mother Ship hole and added mylar for the target area and the lock hole. I have been watching the drain hole with no wear as of yet.

Can anyone explain the difference between older clear coats and present? Curious to know how and why the method of doing things 20+ years ago seems better.

#1407 6 years ago

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but some aspects of this machine are bothering me. Apparently I have to get some specific types of washers/bolts to shim up the right rail to stop the launch issue, and almost every one of my full strength shots into the lock ramp (even at -8 flippers) sends the ball flying off the rail and either into the plunger lane or into the gutter....how did stuff like that get missed in testing? Why am I supposed to be adding washers and bolts to an 8k NIB game to make it function correctly? My NIB GB Pro played perfectly other than the mylar strip needing removed which was causing an orbit rollover issue...did I just get lucky with GB or is this pretty standard behavior with a NIB game?

#1408 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Very interested in hearing the comparison.

I've been a skeptic of remakes (in general), however I've heard great things about MMr playability so I decide to give AFMr a whirl. Looks beautiful...just hope it plays beautiful. I'm also hopeful if it doesn't play wonderful out-of-the-box, it can be tweaked to play great.

snaroff

#1409 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Just got my AFMrLE this afternoon.
Love the look of it, not really enjoying the way it plays, the way I have it set-up.
It will take some getting used to, since it's different from all the previous Sterns that I've had but I expect there's much more to it than that, and I could use some opinions...
I was watching one of Bowen's PAPA videos, and would love to get my new machine playing like that one.
» YouTube video
Not sure if it's just a matter of logging about 400 hundred games onto this one, just to wear it in a little? The ball definitely blazes around the playfield at a breakneck speed. (I've lowered my flipper strength to -7)
I've also maxed the plunger strength. While it does often make it around the orbit for a super-skill shot now, (it rarely made it around at stock setting) it's not aligned well when exiting the shooter lane, and rattles around big time before making its way to the jet bumper area. Something there probably needs some adjusting. Not sure where to start.
I also noticed the left orbit is equally tough to make. It's not at all smooth, and needs some help as well.
Could be that the playfield isnt even well levelled to be honest. I used a torpedo level, and then an Ipad clinometer for accuracy -I had to lengthen the front legs over half their max height to hit 6.5%, (which is really odd compared to all other games I have owned, since usually I would increase the back legs only a little, to get a pin to 6.5%) and even then, the levelling bubble is way at the bottom, which I would expect indicates that the game is shallow, and should be much steeper.
So, hoping that some of you who may have experienced the same initial feel can share what you've tweaked to improve the flow on this game?
Thanks for any help you can provide!
(If any of you could take a photo of your level bubble, and tell me what flipper strength you're using, that might be a great place for me to get started)

Regarding the rattling, read post #1232 in this thread. I had the same issue with failed launches, and it is now fixed.

This game seems more sensitive to setup than most to be perfectly honest. When you hit that sweet spot though, man it is wonderful. I finally did that, but it took a lot of fiddling with things. Each game is different and you will have to just play around. I tried to get mine to play as close to the original as possible. Airballs were pretty prevalent in the original, just as an FYI. My flipper strength is set at 19 and those green targets still get it up as well as the saucer occasionally. I feel it resembles the original at 19, at least on mine, the most, but YMMV. Slings are set to max. Without it, the slings hardly ever get the <M><R><T><I><N> targets which was a trademark of the original that I had a lot of time with. My right ball guide needed a little tweak (high tech: a careful butter knife pry) to keep the right orbit balls off the right sling. I finally settled on dead nuts 6.5 deg right above the flippers in line with the infamous bubble.

Good luck with the tweaking. Don't get frustrated. It is there, you just have to "unlock" it. You will know when you do.

#1410 6 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Regarding the rattling, read post #1232 in this thread. I had the same issue with failed launches, and it is now fixed.
This game seems more sensitive to setup than most to be perfectly honest. When you hit that sweet spot though, man it is wonderful. I finally did that, but it took a lot of fiddling with things. Each game is different and you will have to just play around. I tried to get mine to play as close to the original as possible. Airballs were pretty prevalent in the original, just as an FYI. My flipper strength is set at 19 and those green targets still get it up as well as the saucer occasionally. I feel it resembles the original at 19, at least on mine, the most, but YMMV. Slings are set to max. Without it, the slings hardly ever get the <M><R><T><I><N> targets which was a trademark of the original that I had a lot of time with. My right ball guide needed a little tweak (high tech: a careful butter knife pry) to keep the right orbit balls off the right sling. I finally settled on dead nuts 6.5 deg right above the flippers in line with the infamous bubble.
Good luck with the tweaking. Don't get frustrated. It is there, you just have to "unlock" it. You will know when you do.

Yeah, I'm not bitter by any means. Just not loving it yet. I changed the pitch already and its playing a little better now. Still have to fix that ball launch issue.
I've defended Stern previously saying that sometimes pins need tweaking. It's all good!
I appreciate the advice. Thanks again!

#1411 6 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

I've actually been tweaking my flipper settings a bunch just now and I settled on -18 before seeing your post. No more ball flying out of the lock ramp anymore and the game feels a *lot* more like the classic in terms of the flippers. It also could've just been that I always played on routed AFMs but the ball seemed to travel a lot slower than it did on that default setting. I also always remember having to let the ball come out onto the flipper a bit and then a flip would send it straight up the middle (will never forget clearing all 10 shots in a row on my last ball at the arcade as a kid to destroy Mars, didn't miss a shot). I have to let it roll out onto the flipper a little at -18, just like on the classic. Is there a way to tweak the SOL scoop power? I didn't see anything in the coil settings.

#1412 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Yeah, I'm not bitter by any means. Just not loving it yet. I changed the pitch already and its playing a little better now. Still have to fix that ball launch issue.
I've defended Stern previously saying that sometimes pins need tweaking. It's all good!
I appreciate the advice. Thanks again!

I removed the screw, securing the wireform that might be in the way. Still having issues with the ball launch.
Becoming bitter.

Is there some way to tell if the autolauncher is properly aligned? I feel as though that's the best place to start. Thanks!

#1413 6 years ago

fyi ... we (PPS) have some AFMR LE's and AFMR SE's in stock right now available for immediate shipment - also some MMR Stds as well. Contact [email protected] or call 774-853-2310 for more info ...

[email protected]

#1414 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I removed the screw, securing the wireform that might be in the way. Still having issues with the ball launch.
Becoming bitter.
Is there some way to tell if the autolauncher is properly aligned? I feel as though that's the best place to start. Thanks!

Yes, Remove the apron and make sure the launch plunger is making a centered contact on the ball. Shim the right wire form at the saucer mount (one with the screw )with a thick washer. The problem will go away! Yes sometimes we have to tweak NIB games to get them Dialed In. This game is this best pinball machine I have seen manufactured period once it is tweaked and adjusted. You have to appreciate a machine that is as adjustable (coils, lighting) as these new remakes are. So you have to make some adjustments...

#1415 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Yes, Remove the apron and make sure the launch plunger is making a centered contact on the ball. Shim the right wire form at the saucer mount (one with the screw )with a thick washer. The problem will go away! Yes sometimes we have to tweak NIB games to get them Dialed In. This game is this best pinball machine I have seen manufactured period once it is tweaked and adjusted. You have to appreciate a machine that is as adjustable (coils, lighting) as these new remakes are. So you have to make some adjustments...

I've been making some minor adjustments and it is playing better (and I would now consider it "playable").
While I have purchased many NIB games, and recognize that things can move around during shipping etc, there are NUMEROUS posters on here with the same issue, complaining about the auto-launcher not making the orbit, and its poor alignment.
So thanks, but shit like this should be tested and tweaked at the factory before being received in peoples homes.
One offs are going to happen. This is nothing short of being poorly designed, or poorly put together.
Fortunately, it appears that it can be corrected with some patience and maybe a little luck.

#1416 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I've been making some minor adjustments and it is playing better (and I would now consider it "playable").
While I have purchased many NIB games, and recognize that things can move around during shipping etc, there are NUMEROUS posters on here with the same issue, complaining about the auto-launcher not making the orbit, and its poor alignment.
So thanks, but shit like this should be tested and tweaked at the factory before being received in peoples homes.
One offs are going to happen. This is nothing short of being poorly designed, or poorly put together.
Fortunately, it appears that it can be corrected with some patience and maybe a little luck.

I would suggest that you open a ticket with CGC outlining the issues you’re seeing and dealing with in the hopes that they can be addressed in an ongoing manner.

They have shipped a good number of games and there have been very few issues reported here. Feels like normal pinball to me, tweaking is always needed.

#1417 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Fortunately, it appears that it can be corrected with some patience and maybe a little luck

I understand your frustration. But if your looking for absolute perfection out of the box your not going to find it anywhere regarding pinball machines. No manufacturer is going to provide that for ya. I have been buying and collecting for 22 years and I haven't seen it yet.

#1418 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I understand your frustration. But if your looking for absolute perfection out of the box your not going to find it anywhere regarding pinball machines. No manufacturer is going to provide that for ya. I have been buying and collecting for 22 years and I haven't seen it yet.

Some are MUCH better than others.

TWD is a finicky tempermental B that needs precise love and adjustment to be great

#1419 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Agreed. I've had issues with Stern, JJP, & Heighway.
Fortunately, they have all backed every issue I've come across, and sounds like this is no different.
I'm not ready to give up though. Might be something that will get to 100% before the weekend's over.

#1420 6 years ago

Nostalgia makes you forget how many times a pin kicked your ass...this game was always this brutal wasn't it (it was).

#1421 6 years ago

It’s the hardest game in my collection but it’s also the game I forgive the fastest.

#1422 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

It’s the hardest game in my collection but it’s also the game I forgive the fastest.

That is perfectly said.

#1423 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've been a skeptic of remakes (in general), however I've heard great things about MMr playability so I decide to give AFMr a whirl. Looks beautiful...just hope it plays beautiful. I'm also hopeful if it doesn't play wonderful out-of-the-box, it can be tweaked to play great.
snaroff

I love the way mine plays now. Took some time to dial in, and side drains can be brutal, but the game is a blast!

I have no comparison though, as I've never played an original.

#1424 6 years ago

My plunger has the same issues. Gets caught up at the corner, maybe 1 out of 4 appempts. Haven't really put anytime into the fix yet. Seems like a few others are similar?

#1425 6 years ago
Quoted from BaggerVance:

My plunger has the same issues. Gets caught up at the corner, maybe 1 out of 4 appempts. Haven't really put anytime into the fix yet. Seems like a few others are similar?

The fix is really trivial "one thick metal washer is all it needs" My super skill shot works great now! The really great thing is that I didn't even know the game had a super skill shot. Funny thing though, it sits next to my CC which (with Eric's continued) has the best super skill shot I have ever experienced and works the same way (left flipper held) My game is set up and running perfectly. I am feeling a little guilty that it seems to be getting all the love these days! Just waiting for my MM to speak up and say "Hey Man What About Me"

#1426 6 years ago

I'll get it dialed in. Had no idea about the skill shot either. It's a fabulous game, haven't played it much since ST came in. I'd buy another remake in a second from these guys. Picked up some mirror blades to install shortly, that should get a few games going?

#1427 6 years ago

yeah the mirror blades add that new dimension to Playfield.

#1428 6 years ago

I want mirror blades for mine so bad but as my luck goes, I got one that has a tight cab/playfield. So disappointing. It would look incredible I bet.

#1429 6 years ago

I am not a fan of hte mirror blades, they will be coming out as soon as my new bladeskinz from pingraffix show up. .

#1430 6 years ago

Got it set up today.

What a blast of a pinball experience! The LCD, topper and light show amongst the overall greatness of the game. Wow.

#1431 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Got it set up today.
What a blast of a pinball experience! The LCD, topper and light show amongst the overall greatness of the game. Wow.

Congrats on getting your game.
We are enjoying ours every day now.
We just did a live stream tonight with 2 hours of game play on our Twitch channel.
For anyone who has not received theirs yet and wants a taste of what is to come, here you go.
www.twitch.tv/thepinballmafia

#1432 6 years ago

Wow...didnt know about the Super Skill Shot either! For anyone else that may have missed the details on the SUPER Skill Shot I copied and pasted (below) this from PPS...

At ball start, hold left flipper button while launching ball, then make any flashing arrow shot.

Making a ramp or loop shot will complete all 3 lights (Capture, Big-O-Beam, Atomic Blaster or Tractor Beam) in front of that shot.

Hitting the Center 3-Bank will start Attack Wave. 

#1433 6 years ago

AFMR is 2017 game of the year!

#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Who Says?

#1435 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Its from 1995 tho.... only new pins sld be eligible for game of the year imo.

#1436 6 years ago

Had to delay my delivery until Wednesday due to rain forecasted for tomorrow (all day). Sigh.

#1437 6 years ago

Is it just me, or do the flippers on AFMR feel souch tighter and stronger than MMR?

The flippers on MMR feel looser or something. Like there is maybe a little more play.

Anyone else feel this way?

#1438 6 years ago

Still waiting here in Aus for ours but the buzz is contagious. From what I have heard and thanks for posting the vids, CGC should win construction team of the year to put it in F1 terms.

#1439 6 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Still waiting here in Aus for ours but the buzz is contagious. From what I have heard and thanks for posting the vids, CGC should win construction team of the year to put it in F1 terms.

I'm not worried that the container ship hasn't reported an updated position since Nov 26... nope not worried at all...

#1440 6 years ago

Frankmac award

IMG_0839.PNGIMG_0839.PNG

#1441 6 years ago

The franc mark-Mcrae award surely?

#1442 6 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Agreed the boat just landed in Europe for ours so hopeful for next week!

#1443 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is it just me, or do the flippers on AFMR feel souch tighter and stronger than MMR?
The flippers on MMR feel looser or something. Like there is maybe a little more play.
Anyone else feel this way?

I feel that they are similar but I haven't done a side by side comparison like you have. However I really did notice the first time I played MMR that the flippers felt quite different from the original MM. like they are pulled higher or something

#1444 6 years ago

Sorry for the spam, it's been a few pages and more people are getting their games. We have undercabinet lights that light off the speaker lights or the topper and are interactive, plug and play. It's available in our pinside shop or on our website.

https://lermods.com/products/attack-from-mars-remake-pinball-led-strip-undercabinet-light-kit

#1445 6 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

I feel that they are similar but I haven't done a side by side comparison like you have. However I really did notice the first time I played MMR that the flippers felt quite different from the original MM. like they are pulled higher or something

I own both remakes. AFMr is definitely stronger, i have my down to -6 now and it's much better and smoother playing. Never adjusted off of default on MMr.

#1446 6 years ago

OMG our LE is simply the most amazing Pin we have owned! I told Doug at CGC while at IAAPA that their price points are perfect along with what they offer as upgrades between the 3 models and I’ll keep being a customer if they can keep them there.

After lowering the flipper strength to -8 we still get balls flying off the return wire form from the lock shot. Some are lucky and jump to the shooter lane but All of mine jump down the outlane. Is the best fix to lower flipper strength even more? I swear I had it happen on a ball that wasn’t even moving very fast once. Also, would love to know if there is a way to install a headphone jack easily to the game. It is a feature we love and have installed them on almost every game game we own that is doable.

#1447 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Agreed the boat just landed in Europe for ours so hopeful for next week!

Hey Neil, presume you ordered yours from Pinball Heaven? I'm waiting on an LE on the same boat I believe. Next week would be great! Haven't heard anything from PH yet, think I'll drop Phil an email.

#1448 6 years ago
Quoted from jmagla:

Hey Neil, presume you ordered yours from Pinball Heaven? I'm waiting on an LE on the same boat I believe. Next week would be great! Haven't heard anything from PH yet, think I'll drop Phil an email.

Yes I have, but honestly I wouldn't email Phil - he's pretty good at keeping us in the loop when it all moves and when things happen he keeps us in the loop.

Neil.

#1449 6 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

OMG our LE is simply the most amazing Pin we have owned! I told Doug at CGC while at IAAPA that their price points are perfect along with what they offer as upgrades between the 3 models and I’ll keep being a customer if they can keep them there.
After lowering the flipper strength to -8 we still get balls flying off the return wire form from the lock shot. Some are lucky and jump to the shooter lane but All of mine jump down the outlane. Is the best fix to lower flipper strength even more? I swear I had it happen on a ball that wasn’t even moving very fast once. Also, would love to know if there is a way to install a headphone jack easily to the game. It is a feature we love and have installed them on almost every game game we own that is doable.

I’ve got mine at -8 too and honestly don’t see much difference. I’m sure it settles down after it wears in!

I agree it’s an amazing pin. The whole package. It’s like an explosion of sound and lighting from the topper on down

#1450 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

I own both remakes. AFMr is definitely stronger, i have my down to -6 now and it's much better and smoother playing. Never adjusted off of default on MMr.

Maybe this as an example explains it better. Let's say that I do a super skill shot, when the ball loops the orbit and gets to the left flipper, there is a big difference in the contact with the ball.

On AFMR once I hit it, it's going powerfully up one of the right ramps or hitting something with a load of power.

With MMR, it's likely making it's way halfway up the damsel ramp, or sort of lobbing up near the castle and coming back down.

I very rarely make that skill shot to the damsel ramp or even right joust orbit on initial contact from the skill shot launch, but on AFMR it's almost guaranteed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 210.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.