pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 188 of 212.
#9351 3 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

Is there an easy way to disconnect the mini saucers from the wire ramps?

Twist and lift. Flasher cover holds them on.

LTG : )

#9352 3 years ago

Yeah that takes care of the top. But the bottom is still attached. They went nuts with zip-ties too.

The left plastic ramp is nearly impossible to remove to to the myriad of wires zip-tied to the one side of it.

Still aggravated.

#9353 3 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

Still aggravated.

Just time consuming. Under playfield unhook connectors. Above playfield remove lock nuts and screws. Remove ramps with hardware that is left on. One wireform might be cable tied with the wiring.

Just like shopping an AFM. Original or remake.

#9354 3 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

Ok, without looking through 187 pages.....
I just want to take the ramps (both acrylic and wire) off to clean and wax the playfield. The mini saucers are making this an extremely aggravating endeavor.
You can’t get a nut driver over the nuts (because of plastic above), and the screws are sometimes facing places where you can’t get a screwdriver in.
NOT HAPPY WITH THIS DESIGN.

You just need to develop some pinball tools.

I have an assortment of ball drivers, shallow sockets, precision micro ratchet screwdrivers, wobble extentions and a whole bunch of assorted ignition wrenches and tiny tools.

Also Im always on the lookout for more interesting tools to fit into tight places.

All mostly magnetized at this point lol.

Dropping screws, nuts and washers is the bane of pinball.

I have spent way too many hours looking for dropped hardware in the black void of a pinball machine.

for instance, this is the only tool for removing the face of rudy on a funhouse:

https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-DR-55-Profile-Ratchet-Screwdriver/dp/B00B4TECTQ/ref=asc_df_B00B4TECTQ/

I use it all the time lol

#9355 3 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

Ok, without looking through 187 pages.....
I just want to take the ramps (both acrylic and wire) off to clean and wax the playfield. The mini saucers are making this an extremely aggravating endeavor.
You can’t get a nut driver over the nuts (because of plastic above), and the screws are sometimes facing places where you can’t get a screwdriver in.
NOT HAPPY WITH THIS DESIGN.

While the saucers themselves rotate and can be removed, the mounts are riveted on so you would have to drill out the rivets to fully detach them. I was going to get my wireframes powder coated, but this prevented me from doing it.

#9356 3 years ago

JMO, but I think this is a poor design feature. I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure that the playfields need to be cleaned and waxed on a regular basis. If there are areas that are exceedingly difficult to reach (requiring a “shop”-like tear down), obviously this will not get accomplished on many machines.

I really love the game, so in my case I will go through the PITA effort when needed. I’ll resume the slog today. I’m guessing there will be a large pile of zip ties on the floor when I am done. Still have to install the Cliffy’s too.

#9357 3 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

JMO, but I think this is a poor design feature.

Copied from Williams. About the same as many of their DMD era games. They weren't made to be easy to clean. Check out STNG or Demo Man.

#9358 3 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

The mini saucers are considered to be part of the ramp assemblies, you should be able to remove the ramps without having to take off the saucers.

Picard_Facepalm.gifPicard_Facepalm.gif
#9359 3 years ago

Hoping for some help or advice, as this MUST be a problem for other owners as well. When the ball is at high speed, it frequently likes to "jump" off the lower-right habit trail at the second bend. The ball usually lands in the outlane for a drain. It's very frustrating when it happens. Especially because it's usually only after I've combed a few ramps/shots that the ball is going fast enough to do this. So it only happens when I'm making my shots!
InkedIMG_7718_LI (resized).jpgInkedIMG_7718_LI (resized).jpg
I've got the game level, and pitched to about 7 degrees. I've turned the flipper power down as well. Any lower though, and the flippers start to feel sluggish. So I was wondering if anyone had made some kind of airball protector? It seems like you could use either of those two screws/posts by the martian to attach something.

It's only a problem because Bally went with half-pipe habit trails, instead of full-surround ones. Somebody must have some ideas. Thanks!

#9360 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Hoping for some help or advice, as this MUST be a problem for other owners as well. When the ball is at high speed, it frequently likes to "jump" off the lower-right habit trail at the second bend. The ball usually lands in the outlane for a drain. It's very frustrating when it happens. Especially because it's usually only after I've combed a few ramps/shots that the ball is going fast enough to do this. So it only happens when I'm making my shots!
[quoted image]
I've got the game level, and pitched to about 7 degrees. I've turned the flipper power down as well. Any lower though, and the flippers start to feel sluggish. So I was wondering if anyone had made some kind of airball protector? It seems like you could use either of those two screws/posts by the martian to attach something.
It's only a problem because Bally went with half-pipe habit trails, instead of full-surround ones. Somebody must have some ideas. Thanks!

Put a washer or 2 under the lower right foot of the wireform to bank it more towards the center.
Bend the wireform slightly to bank it a little.

lower the pitch to 6.7 degrees. the ball is going too fast.

#9361 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Put a washer or 2 under the lower right foot of the wireform to bank it more towards the center.
Bend the wireform slightly to bank it a little.
lower the pitch to 6.7 degrees. the ball is going too fast.

Alright, thanks for those tips. I'll give em a try. Also, the ball was hopping even when I had the game pitched at 6.5 degrees. So I don't think that's necessarily the issue.

#9362 3 years ago

If you see my post #7928 I put a piece of dead foam on the ramp to slow the ball down. Works for me and doesn’t look that bad.

#9363 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Alright, thanks for those tips. I'll give em a try. Also, the ball was hopping even when I had the game pitched at 6.5 degrees. So I don't think that's necessarily the issue.

Once you get the pitch, flipper power and bank of the wireform dialed in, the problem goes away.

Careful banking/tilting of the wireform helps a lot. Washers and a slight bend of the support wires, or the feet, works wonders.

Properly dialed in:

The ball should not race around the ramp from a clean shot from a cradled position, but make it up the ramp easily, but slow down and let gravity pull it down back into play.

Its normal for a weak shot to run back down the ramp and try to exit the right outlane.

#9364 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

If you see my post #7928 I put a piece of dead foam on the ramp to slow the ball down. Works for me and doesn’t look that bad.

Good call. I had to use that trick on my Black Knight and on my Phantom of the Opera for some areas where I needed to slow the ball down.

#9365 2 years ago

Putting everything back together. Forgot to take pic of proper placement of these on the left ramp. If someone could snap a pic or two and post them here it would be greatly appreciated.

9F6A67CE-6B5E-45A9-A157-A113F4248A94 (resized).jpeg9F6A67CE-6B5E-45A9-A157-A113F4248A94 (resized).jpeg
#9366 2 years ago

Putting everything back together. Forgot to take pic of proper placement of these on the left ramp. If someone could snap a pic or two and post them here it would be greatly appreciated.[quoted image]</blockquote

The square one goes by the big post near the ball return scoop. The angled one goes by the ship in the corner. The point of the angled piece is towards the flippers, it goes on the big post that holds the plastic ramp.
685A64BE-AD00-4928-807B-50ADC0E48CC1 (resized).jpeg685A64BE-AD00-4928-807B-50ADC0E48CC1 (resized).jpeg
F0A31A4E-6191-45AF-BC19-95E14AAA76FC (resized).jpegF0A31A4E-6191-45AF-BC19-95E14AAA76FC (resized).jpeg

#9367 2 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

Putting everything back together. Forgot to take pic of proper placement of these on the left ramp. If someone could snap a pic or two and post them here it would be greatly appreciated.[quoted image]

The square one goes by the big post near the ball return scoop. The angled one goes by the ship in the corner. The point of the angled piece is towards the flippers, it goes on the big post that holds the plastic ramp.

6335CC3A-45DF-4832-815A-E6F3D0627212 (resized).jpeg6335CC3A-45DF-4832-815A-E6F3D0627212 (resized).jpegC2027531-3EBF-4069-8BA6-ADE441DB55D2 (resized).jpegC2027531-3EBF-4069-8BA6-ADE441DB55D2 (resized).jpeg
#9368 2 years ago

Hey thanks for those pics. Still actually sitting on the parts mat. I figured I would wait until the rest of my glow-in-the-dark rings came, then replace everything at once. I see you have the GITD on yours. I put a few on and besides the glow feature they really look sharp on this machine. So, I decided to just replace all of the black with GITD.

#9369 2 years ago

New AFM SE owner here. LOVE this pin. So challenging and addicting. Occasionally right orbit shot does not register. Random AF. Example, I hit a super skill shot to right orbit. Nothing. I think its the upper switch.

Also this AFM outlanes are brutal! Reject the lock shot and ball falls back directly to right outlane.

#9370 2 years ago

I am planning to have the saucers repainted. What is the best way on how to remove the inner board and the dome from the saucer? It seems they are glued together. Where to pry it open - what is the best way to proceed here? Thanks for any info!

IMG_0255 (resized).jpgIMG_0255 (resized).jpgIMG_0256 (resized).jpgIMG_0256 (resized).jpg
#9371 2 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I am planning to have the saucers repainted. What is the best way on how to remove the inner board and the dome from the saucer? It seems they are glued together. Where to pry it open - what is the best way to proceed here? Thanks for any info!
[quoted image][quoted image]

The dome is simple . . . you just firmly push down from top of dome - no prying and no tools needed (other than your hands). I can't remember if the circuit board comes off with it or not, but would be the same concept. There may be a spot of glue holding it in place, but for the most part just friction fit.

#9372 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The dome is simple . . . you just firmly push down from top of dome - no prying and no tools needed (other than your hands). I can't remember if the circuit board comes off with it or not, but would be the same concept. There may be a spot of glue holding it in place, but for the most part just friction fit.

You were right, they just pop off, even though there was some glue there. Now just to figure out how the underside separates.

IMG_0257 (resized).jpgIMG_0257 (resized).jpg
#9373 2 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

You were right, they just pop off, even though there was some glue there. Now just to figure out how the underside separates.
[quoted image]

Probably the same way, but you will have to be careful not to damage the boards. Can you tell around the inside and outside perimeters if there is any glue? If you shine a bright light down through the circuit board can you see any glue dobs on the other side? It might be possible to lightly head using a hair dryer or heat gun, but you will want to be very careful not to overheat or melt anything. However, a little heat might be enough to loosen the glue where you can pop the circuit board off.

#9374 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Probably the same way, but you will have to be careful not to damage the boards. Can you tell around the inside and outside perimeters if there is any glue? If you shine a bright light down through the circuit board can you see any glue dobs on the other side? It might be possible to lightly head using a hair dryer or heat gun, but you will want to be very careful not to overheat or melt anything. However, a little heat might be enough to loosen the glue where you can pop the circuit board off.

Hmm, I cannot see glue, I will try to remove the bottom with a toothpick, pressing from above.
EDIT: it does not seem to detach that way. I looks like there are 4 pillars in the edge of the hole - maybe there is glue there. I probably need to get a hairdryer.

IMG_0260 (resized).jpgIMG_0260 (resized).jpg

#9375 2 years ago

It's only paint, you could mask it maybe?

#9376 2 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Hmm, I cannot see glue, I will try to remove the bottom with a toothpick, pressing from above.
EDIT: it does not seem to detach that way. I looks like there are 4 pillars in the edge of the hole - maybe there is glue there. I probably need to get a hairdryer.
[quoted image]

Be sure to mark the orientation before you remove. Not sure if it matters or not, but better safe than sorry.

#9377 2 years ago

When messing around with this stuff I tend to look at risk reward. Risk of breaking stuff versus the improvement.
Masking seems like a good idea.

#9378 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Be sure to mark the orientation before you remove. Not sure if it matters or not, but better safe than sorry.

Orientation of the saucer board position doesn't matter. The orientation of the already removed lens cover is what determines the alignment for the saucer and board connector; of course this can be compared with any of the others as they are all made the same.

Quoted from Nepi23:

They did in fact glue these to the 4 posts which I think is stupid. Most of the time you will break the tabs on the saucer when replacing the board; unfortunately these are out of stock just like the saucer boards and it's unlikely that CGC will have any more manufactured.

Good luck removing them, I hope it can be done without breaking the tabs.

EDIT: I should have listened to the voice in my head that said "You should buy some spare mini saucers."
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9379 2 years ago

The million dollar question on the AFMr mini saucer/LED board parts shortage is who's to blame for it.
Is is CGC for selling spare parts for LEs/SEs through a common retailer allowing anyone to buy them, or is it the LE owners that insisted that the mini saucers were special to them and upgrade kits were not allowed to be made forcing the people that wanted them to buyup all the spare parts and make their own upgrade kits?

#9380 2 years ago

Thanks for all the information guys! Apparently the leds can be covered fairly easily for the paint job, so no need to go and try to remove the bottom.

1 week later
#9381 2 years ago

Just joined the club on an LE recently but I think I'm missing a part. Is there supposed to be an AC cover on the back? Can anyone point me where I could find a replacement if so? Thanks!

cover (resized).jpgcover (resized).jpg
#9382 2 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Just joined the club on an LE recently but I think I'm missing a part. Is there supposed to be an AC cover on the back? Can anyone point me where I could find a replacement if so? Thanks!

No one ever installs these.

I couldn't remember if the game shipped with this or not but I can confirm that I have this cover in my coinbox. Its just a flat plate with a notch for the cable.

#9384 2 years ago
Quoted from kiwi_dc:

You're looking for the inlet cover on the power cord - here's the link on Planetary Pinball.

You beat me to it.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-MLS-INLTCVR&Category_Code=GS-6385

#9385 2 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Can anyone point me where I could find a replacement

PPS has the typical one you'll find everywhere :

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-01-10714

Contact Sara at Planetary Pinball Supply to see about the flat one with two holes for the remakes.

#9386 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

PPS has the typical one you'll find everywhere :

The ones linked above by kiwi_dc and myself are for the remakes, PPS is the main supplier of CGC remake parts.

#9387 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

No one ever installs these.
I couldn't remember if the game shipped with this or not but I can confirm that I have this cover in my coinbox. Its just a flat plate with a notch for the cable.

I installed mine.

I didnt want the cat unplugging the game while i was defending earth.

#9389 2 years ago

Awesome thanks everyone! Yeah my dog frequently goes under the games.. I dont want her snagging that cord out by accident.

#9390 2 years ago

This is the plastic guard piece behind the marsian on the right. How is it secured to the plastics - are these kind of screws used as highlighted with arrows?
Or if something else, what?

For some reason this plastic guard came off from the game, need to secure it in its place again.

Thank you for any help!

IMG_0466 (resized).jpgIMG_0466 (resized).jpg
#9391 2 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Thank you for any help!

Your arrow is pointing to a locknut. Remove both of them. Stick the plastic onto the plastic with the artwork, screws through the holes, put the locknuts back on. Done.

The plastic with the artwork has to be removed to put this back on.

Quoted from Nepi23:

For some reason this plastic guard came off from the game,

Somebody took it off. It's bolted on.

#9392 2 years ago

Thanks LTG!

#9393 2 years ago

I installed a lit drop target in my pin today. It's SO much easier to see if it's up or down now.

The photo doesn't really do it justice...

IMG_7771 (resized).jpgIMG_7771 (resized).jpgIMG_7772 (resized).jpgIMG_7772 (resized).jpg

#9394 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I installed a lit drop target in my pin today. It's SO much easier to see if it's up or down now.
The photo doesn't really do it justice...
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's kind of cool. Was it a DIY or kit (either way, can you share)?

#9395 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

That's kind of cool. Was it a DIY or kit (either way, can you share)?

Pinball life clear drop target.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0021-00-71

Then just mount a light in front of it. I did the same thing on my TNA and FT. The area in FT is so dark normally, that I know of an owner that didn't even KNOW there was a drop target there. I used a comet flex bulb on AFM and a normal 2SMD on FT. Again, it looks more noticeable in person on the AFM.

64256772728__F1DDDD08-A7EE-4A28-9354-AD0F5669CB5C (resized).jpg64256772728__F1DDDD08-A7EE-4A28-9354-AD0F5669CB5C (resized).jpg

#9396 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Pinball life clear drop target.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0021-00-71
Then just mount a light in front of it. I did the same thing on my TNA and FT. The area in FT is so dark normally, that I know of an owner that didn't even KNOW there was a drop target there. I used a comet flex bulb on AFM and a normal 2SMD on FT. Again, it looks more noticeable in person on the AFM.
[quoted image]

Unfortunately, I don't need to order anything else right now, so will have to wait. I might look at actually 3D printing one. Also, I still like my decal for this target, but I think illumination will look good in combination.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9397 2 years ago

Just testing the waters here, I need to sell my HUO SE addition machine, my plans were to put in out on location, but because of the Corona Virus stuff I never really did. I’m sorry to see it go, it is perfect from the factory, but I now decided to just sell it.

I will post pictures soon, if I decide to sell it on Pinside.

My additions to this machine are; I have installed two of the bicolored mini saucers, circuit board etc., that are only found on the LE version, (don’t ask), lighted flipper buttons, 4 LED lighted Big O Jiggly Martians.

But my real news is that mickspinball.com has invented a new Martian/space ship topper, it is designed for any AFMr machines, sans the LE version of course…Still working on an official launch date at this time.

Please let me know if there is any interest, or questions regarding either…

Thank you,

Mick

Mickspinball.com

#9398 2 years ago
Quoted from TheMickster:

Just testing the waters here, I need to sell my HUO SE addition machine, my plans were to put in out on location, but because of the Corona Virus stuff I never really did. I’m sorry to see it go, it is perfect from the factory, but I now decided to just sell it.
I will post pictures soon, if I decide to sell it on Pinside.
My additions to this machine are; I have installed two of the bicolored mini saucers, circuit board etc., that are only found on the LE version, (don’t ask), lighted flipper buttons, 4 LED lighted Big O Jiggly Martians.
But my real news is that mickspinball.com has invented a new Martian/space ship topper, it is designed for any AFMr machines, sans the LE version of course…Still working on an official launch date at this time.
Please let me know if there is any interest, or questions regarding either…
Thank you,
Mick
Mickspinball.com

Will the topper work on a Bally?

#9399 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Sorry, I was thinking the CGC topper. No idea on this one.

#9400 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Yes it will work on the original Bally version, I am putting together a kit for the remakes, easy, just plug and play....I sold my original AFM so I am not sure where to grab the necessary power at this time..or what voltage to build it for, as it will be a little different for the original.

Thanks for asking,

Mick

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 188 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/188?hl=aaav8r and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.