pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 212.
#8801 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I'm seeing all this talk of high scores and average scores, and making a mental note to never play pinball for money with any of you

they are bluffers, they all play with 5 balls and extras turn on and a tilt as loose as a ....

#8802 3 years ago

this is why I set my games up hard. To make myself have to play better. Post set to hard, maximum steepness, playfield polished, ball save off etc etc. With AFMR especially it make my game play MUCH better.

#8803 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

they are bluffers, they all play with 5 balls and extras turn on and a tilt as loose as a ....

You know, it's funny. I know you are kidding around. But in the past I've been reading threads about gameplay strategies, etc, and been shocked to find out how many people set their games to 5 balls.

#8804 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Have you watched these game play videos? Will help you with strategy and scoring methodology.

He is obviously a very talented player, I play mine very similar...sadly I no longer have the same reflexes I had as a younger man and the first thing to suffer is that level of ball control

#8805 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

You know, it's funny. I know you are kidding around. But in the past I've been reading threads about gameplay strategies, etc, and been shocked to find out how many people set their games to 5 balls.

5 ball is for pus#ys...lol.

#8806 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

He is obviously a very talented player, I play mine very similar...sadly I no longer have the same reflexes I had as a younger man and the first thing to suffer is that level of ball control

I can count on one hand the times I've had a perfect ball catch. He makes it look like his flipper bats are magnetized. Fun to see the different styles of players. I've watched some good players at TPF before (nothing close to his caliber - not saying they weren't there, I just didn't watch them), and one that stuck with me made the pin look like it was on wheels - constant nudging, swinging left & right, etc. I thought I'd give that style a try, but that only lasted a couple of days. Just wasn't a fun way to play IMO.

#8807 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've watched some good players at TPF before (nothing close to his caliber - not saying they weren't there, I just didn't watch them)

Please don't take this the wrong way, I've already said he is a very talented player but the biggest thing you are seeing here is he's a competition player playing on his own machine; trust me, he knows exactly how the ball returning from a missed ramp shot is going to return and he nudges the machine while the ball is exiting or still on the ramp to prevent the drains as he is VERY proactive to missed shots and that only comes from significant playtime on the same machine. His timing is likely as perfect as it gets from playing thousands of balls on the same machine and I wouldn't be surprised is he can flipper catch 1 in 10 balls coming from the scoop with his eyes closed

Disclosure: I'm a very optimistic person and believe that EVERYONE in this forum has what it takes to achieve the same level of play that is demonstrated in the videos. Do keep in mind that these are videos, and you are likely looking at 1 game in twenty that wasn't restarted after ball one.

#8808 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Please don't take this the wrong way, I've already said he is a very talented player but the biggest thing you are seeing here is he's a competition player playing on his own machine; trust me, he knows exactly how the ball returning from a missed ramp shot is going to return and he nudges the machine while the ball is exiting or still on the ramp to prevent the drains as he is VERY proactive to missed shots and that only comes from significant playtime on the same machine. His timing is likely as perfect as it gets from playing thousands of balls on the same machine and I wouldn't be surprised is he can flipper catch 1 in 10 balls coming from the scoop with his eyes closed
Disclosure: I'm a very optimistic person and believe that EVERYONE in this forum has what it takes to achieve the same level of play that is demonstrated in the videos. Do keep in mind that these are videos, and you are likely looking at 1 game in twenty that wasn't restarted after ball one.

Oh sure, that's understood. I also play on my own machines but you wouldn't want to watch a video of that My bigger points are not to say he's the bottom line best AFM player in the world and everyone should emulate his approach exactly (albeit he was the 2016 pinball champion), but to watch the video to glean a few helpful pointers: strategy elements to achieve RTU, types of ball handling skills to work on to become better, etc.

On a bigger point, it is entertaining/enjoyable to watch someone at the peak of a skill perform. Whether it's a pinball player, an athlete, a trivia expert, etc. I think that most of us can appreciate their performances because we've undertaken the endeavors at some level, and realize that even with the skills we have, practice, and sometime years of experience we aren't able to perform anywhere close to their levels.

Years ago I was a decent pool player. Nothing officially competitive, but I could certainly hold my own in area pool halls. On occasion I had the opportunity to play the big dogs, and often times it was a miracle if I even got to have a turn at the table. They were on a completely different level. I remember thinking that If I went outside and broke a twig off a tree and gave it to them to use as a cue then they would still have kicked my butt. I'm sure pinball is the same way. Some guys are just flat out better/more gifted than I would ever be, and I always appreciate excellence at any endeavor.

#8809 3 years ago

Surely I can't be the only one here who hates "video mode". The most saucers I've gotten so far is 32. Any secrets you guys care to share?

#8810 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtyharriet:

Surely I can't be the only one here who hates "video mode". The most saucers I've gotten so far is 32. Any secrets you guys care to share?

I love it, and probably achieve it 90%+ of the time now that I've gotten use to it (early on, I sucked at it).

2 key things:
- Don't try to target the falling UFO's. Instead, keep sweeping the gun all the way from one side to the other not worrying about the position of the falling saucers.
- If you get in trouble and it looks like a saucer is going to hit the ground, quickly hit the launch button to destroy all saucers on screen. Don't forget to immediately resume sweeping back and forth (don't wait until you see saucers dropping).

When the mother ship comes, you just need to try to lead it with your fire and predict its movements. In this case make short burst movements instead of big sweeping ones in case the ship suddenly changes direction. The vast majority of the time, I achieve the required hits just as the saucer is about to reach the ground.

#8811 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I love it, and probably achieve it 90%+ of the time now that I've gotten use to it (early on, I sucked at it).
2 key things:
- Don't try to target the falling UFO's. Instead, keep sweeping the gun all the way from one side to the other not worrying about the position of the falling saucers.
- If you get in trouble and it looks like a saucer is going to hit the ground, quickly hit the launch button to destroy all saucers on screen. Don't forget to immediately resume sweeping back and forth (don't wait until you see saucers dropping).
When the mother ship comes, you just need to try to lead it with your fire and predict its movements. In this case make short burst movements instead of big sweeping ones in case the ship suddenly changes direction. The vast majority of the time, I achieve the required hits just as the saucer is about to reach the ground.

Yes! Smart bombs is the key.

#8812 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yes! Smart bombs is the key.

How many smart bombs do you get?

#8813 3 years ago

How many smart bombs do you get?

Just 1 (read below). Also, I didn't know you could use the Smart Bomb on the Mothership. I'll have to try it next time I get a chance.

--------------------------------

http://pinball.org/rules/attackfrommars2.html

Video Mode

Video Mode is only available as an award from the Stroke of Luck, and it is only given out once per game, per player. The objective is to shoot as many saucers as possible. Your shooter is positioned in the center and fires automatically. Use the left and right buttons to control the direction of the shots. Each saucer hit is worth 3M.

Once, and only once, you may press the launch button to fire a "Smart Bomb", which will destroy all the saucers on the screen. This has absolutely nothing to do with Martian bombs.

At 30 saucers, a percentaged Extra Ball will descend; shoot it to collect an Extra Ball immediately. If the game has been awarding too many extra balls recently, then it may not appear at all.

At 40 or 50 saucers, the Mothership will approach. The regular saucers stop landing, and the big Mothership starts descending. You must shoot the Mothership before it lands. It is a rather large ship, which zigs and zags quickly to make it more difficult to hit. It takes 80 hits to destroy it; the lower right corner of the display will tell you how many remaining hits are needed. Completing video mode in its entirety is worth a total of 635M points, and displays the message "You Have Won; The World Is Safe".

You can use the Smart Bomb to kill the Mothership as well.

#8814 3 years ago

It's more fun with falling cows!

#8815 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

It's more fun with falling cows!

I've only achieved it once, and was so mesmerized and entertained that I failed to complete video mode.

#8816 3 years ago

I posted this earlier but the falling cows video mode for me was purely random. I did not hit the launch button when hitting the ramps. Is this truly a random event?

#8817 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I posted this earlier but the falling cows video mode for me was purely random. I did not hit the launch button when hitting the ramps. Is this truly a random event?

The time I got it, I did hit launch buttons multiple times on both cow ramp events.

#8818 3 years ago

I've been purchasing beach towels to keep my pins covered up when not in use. I try to get something that matches the game when I can. Like MOPLE I got a matching Metallica towel for it. AFM was a hard one to get something to match. Found a custom place to make them, think it turned out good.

IMG_6752 (resized).jpgIMG_6752 (resized).jpg
#8819 3 years ago

Blankets are cool! Been doing this for years. Keeps the dust off and damn cat from scratching the PDI glass.

IMG_2275 (resized).JPGIMG_2275 (resized).JPG

#8820 3 years ago

Drained ball 2 with only one hit needed to Rule the Universe and lost ball 3 before I could get it done. Still haven’t done it! Never been that close... heartbreaking lol

#8821 3 years ago

Agreed on the blankets - my dryer is in next room but the laundry door is slotted so a lot dust/lint escapes. This saves me from wiping down the glass every 2 weeks.

My high (Or should I say low) score reflects the gesture.

0DA29F26-9435-4D14-B836-51B8E1E4DE85 (resized).jpeg0DA29F26-9435-4D14-B836-51B8E1E4DE85 (resized).jpeg
#8822 3 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Drained ball 2 with only one hit needed to Rule the Universe and lost ball 3 before I could get it done. Still haven’t done it! Never been that close... heartbreaking lol

Once you get it, the second time will be closely followed. It’s a mind game.

#8823 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Once you get it, the second time will be closely followed. It’s a mind game.

The real mind game is getting Tex off the screen.

People kept asking me who Tex was....lol.

#8824 3 years ago

I was mistaken, one shot from destroying mars. Still had work to do to Rule the Universe. Tex still reigns on my game

#8825 3 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

I was mistaken, one shot from destroying mars. Still had work to do to Rule the Universe. Tex still reigns on my game

I had almost the exact same game play yesterday evening. I have never gotten so far since owning my AFMr LE for 2.5 years. Got all countries and came
up short on destroying or ruling Mars with two more center shots to complete. Finished with 10+ billion, what a great pin!!

#8826 3 years ago

Must suck for anyone whose initials are actually TEX. You finally beat that jerk, but he still haunts you because you put his name right back in there.

Tex still rules the universe in my household.

#8827 3 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Quoted from Fizz:

Must suck for anyone whose initials are actually TEX. You finally beat that jerk, but he still haunts you because you put his name right back in there.
Tex still rules the universe in my household.

Tex sux...lol

Kick his but to the curb!

#8828 3 years ago

New member checking in - #916
Gotta get Target Decals & Plastic Protectors for it next

20200829_193101 (resized).jpg20200829_193101 (resized).jpg
#8829 3 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

[quoted image]

Gonna be hard to play laying on its side...

#8830 3 years ago

Gonna be hard yo play laying on its side...

LOL, I couldn't set it upright

#8831 3 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

[quoted image]

Choose your target decals wisely. There is some rubbish out there. Look good in photos but not so good in life. Real bugger to get off.

#8832 3 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

LOL, I couldn't set it upright

Elves snuck in and righted it for you.

LTG : )

c7f7b76191ec7c20d7b728d535752a70758aad5f (resized).jpgc7f7b76191ec7c20d7b728d535752a70758aad5f (resized).jpg
#8833 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Elves snuck in and righted it for you.
LTG : )
[quoted image]

that alien looks really scared

#8834 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Choose your target decals wisely. There is some rubbish out there. Look good in photos but not so good in life. Real bugger to get off.

any you recommend?

#8836 3 years ago

These are not the ones I was referring to as rubbish.

#8837 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

These are not the ones I was referring to as rubbish.

Thanks. BTW, I wasn't implying you were. Rather, I was just throwing mine out there for Chosen_S to evaluate since the topic came up.

BTW, I've already had a guy in Australia rip off some of my Getaway decals, and his quality is far inferior to what I produce. Was actually bought to my attention by another Aussie who I've done a lot of custom work for, and a great guy. I really hope to visit Australia one of these years. Besides the sights and curiosities, as a whole you all seem like a very welcoming and friendly people (of course you have your share of miscreants too, as I referenced earlier).

#8838 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I only use decals for the 3 force field targets, the top of the bank, and the drop target in back (I didn't want to cover the translucent green targets, and you really can't see the 4 behind the forcefield that well). I offer the set for $20 or you can purchase individually.
Please see these posts for more details:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/155#post-5292850
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/155#post-5292857
[quoted image]

Yes, very happy with these...

2DCA9767-0089-4A0A-80D8-F080A8337B25 (resized).jpeg2DCA9767-0089-4A0A-80D8-F080A8337B25 (resized).jpeg
#8839 3 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

Yes, very happy with these...[quoted image]

I really like those!

#8840 3 years ago

Does anyone know how to fix an issue with the main hole for blowing up the saucer registering as a ball lock sometimes

20200901_170311 (resized).jpg20200901_170311 (resized).jpg
#8841 3 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Does anyone know how to fix an issue with the main hole for blowing up the saucer registering as a ball lock sometimes

Sounds like the center trough switch isn't registering consistently. Raise the playfield and check the microswitch for the center trough. Make sure it isn't catching/hanging up on either side of the slot and raise it vertically if possible, just so that the switch sits a bit higher in the slot. There are screws on the side of the switch that make vertical adjustment pretty easy.

#8842 3 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

Sounds like the center trough switch isn't registering consistently. Raise the playfield and check the microswitch for the center trough. Make sure it isn't catching/hanging up on either side of the slot and raise it vertically if possible, just so that the switch sits a bit higher in the slot. There are screws on the side of the switch that make vertical adjustment pretty easy.

I just twisted the switch body a lttle by hand, so that the switch wire went a little higher.

Didnt even have to raise a tool to it.

#8843 3 years ago

Thanks, mine is doing that also.

#8844 3 years ago

Ball started getting stuck in the saucer hole, need to open the glass and push the ball with a stick to get it to drop into the vuk kicker. I’m guessing it’s an easy fix but wanted to ask about it before I fiddle with it tomorrow. Thanks

#8845 3 years ago

Well I finally beat that darn mother ship in video mode tonight for the first time. I had recently got within 3 hits but finally got her tonight. It was super close and I got lucky. I also set a personal best new high score of 12,377,178,470. I know my score is small potatoes compared to some of you who have achieved the rule the universe mode but I think my score is pretty decent since I've only had my pin for a little over 2 months. Man I love this pinball machine!!!

#8846 3 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Turned the game on for first time after missing this last shot. Destroyed Mars on the first game for the first time ever! Score just under 14B which is all time high for me. Tex is next!

#8847 3 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Turned the game on for first time after missing this last shot. Destroyed Mars on the first game for the first time ever! Score just under 14B which is all time high for me. Tex is next!

F#ck Tex, lol

#8848 3 years ago

Can anyone help me find the correct rubbers for this game? I want to replace the black rubbers with white ones, including the posts, and red flipper rubbers as well.. thank you

#8849 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Can anyone help me find the correct rubbers for this game? I want to replace the black rubbers with white ones, including the posts, and red flipper rubbers as well.. thank you

Titan Pinball has sets for AFM/AFMr on their website.

#8850 3 years ago

Thanks I’ll check that out

Any difference between the planetary pinball and coin taker mirror blades?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 210.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/177 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.