pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 212.
#7801 4 years ago

While playing recently, my SOL awarded "Cow Invasion" and went to the standard video mode, but with cows parachuting in. Really quite odd; I figured I'd seen everything but Rule the Universe at this point. Made me sniff my drink when the ball ended.

#7802 4 years ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

While playing recently, my SOL awarded "Cow Invasion" and went to the standard video mode, but with cows parachuting in. Really quite odd; I figured I'd seen everything but Rule the Universe at this point. Made me sniff my drink when the ball ended.

I believe you have to hit the launch button when you hit a ramp and the "cow" voiceover line comes on. The line is different for each ramp. I think for the left ramp its just "MOOOO!"...

#7803 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Haven't played pinball for almost 30 years and is currently in Another town for work.
Planning on getting a couple of games for a gameroom and this local pub had a mmr and an afmr.
When I've looked on Youtube clips i found afmr the least favorable of the three Chicago titles, however playing it's imo a much
greater experience then mm, which i found really lackluster and The playfield construction leaning heavily to the left.
Afm was really fun. Really fun and I loved the shots.
Two worries. It seems fairly easy? Since i havet played for many years, but still having no trouble gaining extra balls and free games.
There was also some kind of short with the specific game. It shorted out and turned of two Times and did some kind of computer reset.
Another thing that puzzled me is that i got some strange Multiball, where all turned dark, but the game still continued thru the Multiball, and then got back to normal. What was that all about?
All said and done. A really nice surprise. Great fun and probably for the kids too.

It sounds like you got to strobe multiball but the strobe light under the alien saucer wasn't working.

Odd to hear about the random reboots...mine has never done that.

#7804 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I believe you have to hit the launch button when you hit a ramp and the "cow" voiceover line comes on. The line is different for each ramp. I think for the left ramp its just "MOOOO!"...

I believe to be able to get cows on the video mode you have to hit the right and left ramp each separately and have the cow appear on the screen and hit launch button a bunch of times and you will hear moo when you hit button. I dont believe one ramp by itself will do it.

#7805 4 years ago

I got the cow video mode as the 2nd video mode in the same game after defeating mother ship in the 1st one.

#7806 4 years ago

Has anyone here installed a trough light strip? If so, where did you tap in for power? Thanks.

#7807 4 years ago
Quoted from WizWiggy:

Has anyone here installed a trough light strip? If so, where did you tap in for power? Thanks.

Yes, I have. I used Comet Matrix 4" UV LED strip (https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strips) and 12" Matrix extension cable, along with my custom harness to tap into an existing GI bulb (I've since found you can also buy the harnesses from Mezel Mods).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/153#post-5278178

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/153#post-5278422

#7808 4 years ago

I have a 2nd design for my building based upon a request from an original AFM owner. This one resembles the buildings on the AFM LE topper. I'm going to test print to see how it comes out, then I'll share some photos with the group.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7809 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yes, I have. I used Comet Matrix 4" UV LED strip (https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strips) and 12" Matrix extension cable, along with my custom harness to tap into an existing GI bulb (I've since found you can also buy the harnesses from Mezel Mods).
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/153#post-5278178
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/153#post-5278422

Where’d you place the strip? I haven’t seen a good location for this as it is almost completely blocked off. Did you put it inside the mechanism?

#7810 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Where’d you place the strip? I haven’t seen a good location for this as it is almost completely blocked off. Did you put it inside the mechanism?

Just at the top of the trough. You can see the black heat shrink at the right where the wires went back unto the apron (had to remove apron to install, of course).
IMG_3080 (resized).JPGIMG_3080 (resized).JPG

#7811 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just at the top of the trough. You can see the black heat shrink at the right where the wires went back unto the apron (had to remove apron to install, of course).
[quoted image]

Apologies, I was in a rush and misread the original question. I was asking more about the SOL hole. You have a lighting strip there as well, correct?

#7812 4 years ago

Where can I find AFM Martian mounting brackets?
Anyone willing to 3d print some?

Pardon the post, found them at Planetary Pinball.

#7813 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

[quoted image]

Thanks for the pic....good timing. I was just about to install my UV trough light strip...and was a bit horrified on how I originally put my red one in ->

20191120_164120 (resized).jpg20191120_164120 (resized).jpg

So this time...I didn't completely take the apron off, I just loosened it enough to slide the wires through the top. When retightening...you can leave enough of a gap for the wires.

20191120_170628 (resized).jpg20191120_170628 (resized).jpg

20191120_170606 (resized).jpg20191120_170606 (resized).jpg

#7814 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Apologies, I was in a rush and misread the original question. I was asking more about the SOL hole. You have a lighting strip there as well, correct?

Here is the answer to that one: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/153#post-5277208

#7815 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Thanks for the pic....good timing. I was just about to install my UV trough light strip...and was a bit horrified on how I originally put my red one in ->
[quoted image]
So this time...I didn't completely take the apron off, I just loosened it enough to slide the wires through the top. When retightening...you can leave enough of a gap for the wires.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Good pics, exactly how I ran mine.

#7816 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I have a 2nd design for my building based upon a request from an original AFM owner. This one resembles the buildings on the AFM LE topper. I'm going to test print to see how it comes out, then I'll share some photos with the group.[quoted image]

Wow!! Tempting me to sell my Mezel version, aren’t you??

#7817 4 years ago

In that location though..are you worried about balls constantly falling from the backside and hitting the led strip?

#7818 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

In that location though..are you worried about balls constantly falling from the backside and hitting the led strip?

The location is on the bottom of the downslope, and has been zero issue there in the dozens of games I’ve played. If you think about the angle and the spherical ball shape, little to no ball ever actually touches the strip in that position. Just use a strip that has the protective coating like Comet’s Matrix strips do.

#7819 4 years ago

Do you have the saucer hole lit as well? If so, how'd you place that strip?

#7820 4 years ago

The thought crossed my mind (also illuminating below the center target bank), but haven't taken the time to evaluate how to accomplish it.

#7821 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The thought crossed my mind (also illuminating below the center target bank), but haven't taken the time to evaluate how to accomplish it.

Git 'er done!! I want the SOL scoop lit, but I want the color to change depending on which insert leading into is lit. E.g., the scoop lights up orange when the extra ball is lit, yellow for SOL, white for Martian Attack, green for RTU. If more than one insert is lit, it should default to the more important insert (extra ball>SOL and MA, MA>SOL, RTU>all others...).

#7822 4 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Git 'er done!! I want the SOL scoop lit, but I want the color to change depending on which insert leading into is lit. E.g., the scoop lights up orange when the extra ball is lit, yellow for SOL, white for Martian Attack, green for RTU. If more than one insert is lit, it should default to the more important insert (extra ball>SOL and MA, MA>SOL, RTU>all others...).

Yeah, if it were the original game this might be easier, but beyond my engineering capabilities. Would need to somehow intercept the circuit for each lamp on the game board and have a device translate and pass color onto a RGB+ LED strip.

However, I’d definitely buy one if someone else designed it.

#7823 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Haven't played pinball for almost 30 years and is currently in Another town for work.
Planning on getting a couple of games for a gameroom and this local pub had a mmr and an afmr.
When I've looked on Youtube clips i found afmr the least favorable of the three Chicago titles, however playing it's imo a much
greater experience then mm, which i found really lackluster and The playfield construction leaning heavily to the left.
Afm was really fun. Really fun and I loved the shots.
Two worries. It seems fairly easy? Since i havet played for many years, but still having no trouble gaining extra balls and free games.
There was also some kind of short with the specific game. It shorted out and turned of two Times and did some kind of computer reset.
Another thing that puzzled me is that i got some strange Multiball, where all turned dark, but the game still continued thru the Multiball, and then got back to normal. What was that all about?
All said and done. A really nice surprise. Great fun and probably for the kids too.

Strobe multiball is what you got. Great mode. If you hit the stand up in front of the saucer 10 times you light extra ball.

The modes in this game are quite challenging. The Attack Mars achievement is not the easiest to get, as you need to save all the countries on the list.
Rule the universe, even more challenging. Complete all the modes in the lower center playfield.

Anther side mode, is video mode. Challenging for the newer player. Another way to get an extra ball.

#7824 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I have a 2nd design for my building based upon a request from an original AFM owner. This one resembles the buildings on the AFM LE topper. I'm going to test print to see how it comes out, then I'll share some photos with the group.[quoted image]

Love it. What I really like is the font. The current offering on the market uses comic sans, and you all know how we feel about that.

#7825 4 years ago

Was at the local pinball club(Sundsvall) great evening. With lots of different tables and a really nice and friendly environment.
Iron Maiden was great fun, with theatre of magic as a close second.
Still afmr is the best yet. I've got a sweet tooth for thoose pesky Martians.

#7826 4 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

Love it. What I really like is the font. The current offering on the market uses comic sans, and you all know how we feel about that.

I love comic sans...!

#7827 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I love comic sans...!

That makes one of us.

#7828 4 years ago

Are there a disproportionate amount of DUGs who play pinball. DUG - me too.

#7829 4 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Yep, it appears so!!!

#7830 4 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Yep. Had those initials since I started playing vids around 1980.

#7831 4 years ago

Ok...with help from @mr_tantrum 's advice and 3d printed led strip holders, I was able to make my interactive flipper buttons and under cabinet lighting additions for my AFMr.

20191121_214550 (resized).jpg20191121_214550 (resized).jpg

The under cabinet lighting is great (and yes...lermods suggestion of having the strip the entire length of the cabinet bottom (4') is right....you need all the brightness you can get). Currently I'm a bit disappointed at the brightness of the flipper buttons. It looks bright in the picture...but green is the brightest color for the speaker lights. Blue, red, etc look pretty dim. In real life its not a "strong" lighted flipper button. Which makes sense.....other single color lighted flipper buttons have a bright LED pressed up right against the flipper button but these work by the ambient light produced from the 3 SMD LED strip that's an inch away from it.

I'll have to experiment a bit more with how to make the flipper buttons brighter but not sure it will be possible or not.

I also experimented with comet's UV glow in the dark star post kit. Thankfully...comet is allowing me to return them. Basically....the UV light is just too blue when on...and clashes with the red/oranges/greens of the playfield.

20191120_191326 (resized).jpg20191120_191326 (resized).jpg

20191121_173716 (resized).jpg20191121_173716 (resized).jpg

I still have a UV trough light, which helps the glow in the dark titan rubbers on the flippers, but the blue light isn't so bad there because the strip itself is hidden so you aren't looking right at the blue lights.

And...I do like the GITD rubbers, ...I like the color green they are and they are translucent a bit so it does kind of "glow" when the lights are on, but everything only holds a 1 second charge so when the lights go off (strobe multiball, video mode, destroying a saucer) it doesn't maintain a glow like I was hoping for.

#7832 4 years ago

Finished printing the alternate version of my building, and waiting for glue to set. Should have some pics of it in action later this afternoon.

IMG_3081.JPGIMG_3081.JPGIMG_3082.JPGIMG_3082.JPG
#7833 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I'll have to experiment a bit more with how to make the flipper buttons brighter but not sure it will be possible or not.

Clear plastic nuts to replace the metal nut that holds the buttons in would be a huge help! I thought I had seen some before....

#7834 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Clear plastic nuts to replace the metal nut that holds the buttons in would be a huge help! I thought I had seen some before....

Great idea!
If you would post a link when you find them?

#7835 4 years ago

Here's my black version of the building installed. I think it came out pretty nice. Not quite sure which is my favorite now.
IMG_3083.JPGIMG_3083.JPGIMG_3084.JPGIMG_3084.JPGAFM.gifAFM.gif

#7836 4 years ago

Have you had time to play your new game at all?

#7837 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Yes! If there was a clear plastic pal nut...that would be awesome. The metal pal nut blocks a lot of light from the LED strip. A google search hasn't found me any though....

#7838 4 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Have you had time to play your new game at all?

Very little, actually. I'm looking forward to getting all of these projects behind me, so that I can just enjoy playing.

#7839 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Here's my black version of the building installed. I think it came out pretty nice. Not quite sure which is my favorite now.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice! Both of them

#7840 4 years ago

For those who ordered the flipper LED kits from me, I wanted to let everyone know that I've had a couple of people so far who had some issues with the LEDs. Before I shipped, I tested the entire rigging on my own pin to ensure that everything worked correctly. However, it appears that the LED strips can be sensitive to over bending or the coupler they are connected to for some reason can be flaky and lose contact (could occur during shipping or installation). Please let me know if you have any issues via PM, and I'll walk you through a couple of minor troubleshooting steps. If we quickly determine there is an issue with your LED strips, I will gladly and promptly send you replacements and no additional cost.

I made this mod because I liked it and I know that others would too, so I want it to work correctly for everyone. I apologize to those of you who have experienced issues, but I'm happy to work with you to make it right.

#7841 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks sharp!
Reminds me of a hotel in San Francisco I stayed at.

Really nice.

#7842 4 years ago

Is the LE sold out at this point. Looks like there were some bought mid-year, but haven’t seen a recent posting on a NIB purchase. Have monster bash LE and love it...looking to add this too. The I know the SE is easily had, but man I want that topper.

#7843 4 years ago

Topper is awesome

20190604_010730 (resized).jpg20190604_010730 (resized).jpg20190604_010736 (resized).jpg20190604_010736 (resized).jpg20190604_010748 (resized).jpg20190604_010748 (resized).jpg
#7844 4 years ago

He can be moody though

#7845 4 years ago
Quoted from stavio:

He can be moody though

So moody, I'm thinking "she" (Martian women have pretty deep voices from what I can discern).

#7846 4 years ago

Joining the club in a couple weeks. Looks like I need @mr_tantrum's decal set for the drop target, his Eat at Eddy's mod, and I'm thinking about the Lermods under cabinet light synced to the speaker lights. I don't have any under-cabinet lighting on any of my machines, so this might make AMFr stick out bit.

@mr_tantrum, with the green plastic protector set, did you need to install UV lighting anywhere else to make it pop, other than the trough?

#7847 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Joining the club in a couple weeks. Looks like I need mr_tantrum's decal set for the drop target, his Eat at Eddy's mod, and I'm thinking about the Lermods under cabinet light synced to the speaker lights. I don't have any under-cabinet lighting on any of my machines, so this might make AMFr stick out bit.
mr_tantrum, with the green plastic protector set, did you need to install UV lighting anywhere else to make it pop, other than the trough?

The only UV lighting I have is the trough (and the flashers on my PinStadium). I did this mainly to make the flipper rubbers glow.

#7848 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Joining the club in a couple weeks. Looks like I need mr_tantrum's decal set for the drop target, his Eat at Eddy's mod, and I'm thinking about the Lermods under cabinet light synced to the speaker lights. I don't have any under-cabinet lighting on any of my machines, so this might make AMFr stick out bit.
mr_tantrum, with the green plastic protector set, did you need to install UV lighting anywhere else to make it pop, other than the trough?

I don't think you need anything to make the plastic protectors "pop"..they are neon colored so any normal lights already from the GI will give you that "tron" like glow...

#7849 4 years ago
Quoted from JSC:

Is the LE sold out at this point. Looks like there were some bought mid-year, but haven’t seen a recent posting on a NIB purchase. Have monster bash LE and love it...looking to add this too. The I know the SE is easily had, but man I want that topper.

I would start calling distributors and see if they have one. I would imagine there aren’t many of any still NIB. There is also a guy selling one still NIB on pinside but you’ll probably have to pay over MSRP for it.

Or just wait for a used one to come up for sale.

Good luck finding one.

#7850 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I don't think you need anything to make the plastic protectors "pop"..they are neon colored so any normal lights already from the GI will give you that "tron" like glow...

You will need low profile lock nuts, however. Otherwise you’ll never be able to secure them with the standard ones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/157?hl=easternbloc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.