pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 212.
#7201 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Maybe wait for an eBay coupon then buy. I know people have done that with the MMr color upgrade.

Too late. Had a couple beers and that was it. Order has been placed.

#7202 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Sales tax kinda kills that one :\. There are a few on ebay for $417 shipped, which isn't much better than Planetary. I don't think it'll get much cheaper than that.

Whether you pay at the point of sale, or when you file your state tax return, you are legally obligated to be paying sales tax on purchases; you know this.

#7203 4 years ago

Anyone have an idea of what the street price for the AFMR CE is these days? Do they go for the $6k or are there some deals out there?

#7204 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Anyone have an idea of what the street price for the AFMR CE is these days? Do they go for the $6k or are there some deals out there?

6k is pretty good for a NIB game.
The used market might be slim pickings...

#7205 4 years ago

Just received my AFMr CE. Awesome game and am having a ton of fun playing it.

Quick question, are the flippers designed to feel a bit weaker? I have mine set at the default setting, but they feel very weak. A controlled shot will make the ramps, saucer, etc., but it is not zooming by any means. For instance, a controlled shot to the saucer will "roll into" the hole. It's not like I'd ever be worried about any damage there. I've turned the power level up to +1 on the flippers, but it didn't seem to make a ton of difference. Just curious if I'm over-analyzing this.

#7206 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Quick question, are the flippers designed to feel a bit weaker? I have mine set at the default setting, but they feel very weak. A controlled shot will make the ramps, saucer, etc., but it is not zooming by any means. For instance, a controlled shot to the saucer will "roll into" the hole. It's not like I'd ever be worried about any damage there. I've turned the power level up to +1 on the flippers, but it didn't seem to make a ton of difference. Just curious if I'm over-analyzing this.

Do you have the SOL 2 solenoid board chip installed?

#7207 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

From what I can tell and heard is pricing is set by CGC. If you shop around you may be able to save a little on shipping, but we’re probably talking $50-$100.

#7208 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Do you have the SOL 2 solenoid board chip installed?

I can look when I get home. Is this an aftermarket chip, or something from CGC that should be pre-installed, or...?

#7209 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I can look when I get home. Is this an aftermarket chip, or something from CGC that should be pre-installed, or...?

It's an updated chip from CGC. It fixes an issue where changing solenoid powers in the V1 chip could cause a transistor to fail, damaging the board. More information here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-pinball-production-update/page/27#post-4148616

#7210 4 years ago

I have the SOL V2.0 chip it appears.

8A815BEE-1416-4739-A2CD-CEF36346E821 (resized).jpeg8A815BEE-1416-4739-A2CD-CEF36346E821 (resized).jpeg
#7211 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I felt the same way about the flippers at first. But I think they just take some getting used to.

I think one of the big contributors to this feeling, for me, is that the saucer shot is actually in a bit of a weak spot on the flipper. Especially the right flipper.

All the other shots are much stronger than the saucer shot. Well at least for me, but then again, I suck at pinball.

#7212 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I have the SOL V2.0 chip it appears.[quoted image]

Perfect.
Now you can adjust settings without worries.

#7213 4 years ago

What setting do most use?

#7214 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Well that depends . I've got my flippers set at -13. That setting allows me to make all the ramp and orbit shots pretty solidly without flying off the ramps.

As I mentioned before, the saucer shots feel weaker in comparison, due to the shot location. But still totally fine once you get used to it.

But the flipper power setting may be much different on your game due to different input voltage, different pitch of the game etc. Also just personal preference. I don't like flippers which are way over powered.

#7215 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

After reading through this entire forum while waiting for my LE to arrive, it seems like -2 is the most common setting. Balls were flying off the ramps at default power. I agree that the saucer shot is pretty weak if it’s going straight in. Seems to be a result of the hole placement and the “droopy” design position of the flippers. I feel like It has made me a better player, however.

#7216 4 years ago

As we know, there are sections of the playfield that glow when hit with UV "black" light. Has anyone found a way to best make those UV reactive sections glow and stand out? If so, what is the best way to achieve this? Thanks.

#7217 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Does the DMD color upgrade on the CE also allow the main saucer to have red, blue, and green lights instead of just red?

Just installed color chip. Confirmed main saucer changes colors now.

#7218 4 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

Just installed color chip. Confirmed main saucer changes colors now.

So... weird situation. I’m waiting on my color chip to arrive, but my main ship is already “interactive” and changing colors. I actually can’t set it to just a single color.

#7219 4 years ago

If you’re thinking about buying an AFMr, I have to say, I have this game dialed in now.

CE version, shaker motor and color display.

The game is great quality. I have it perfectly set up in my opinion, with the standard sized display it just looks right to me. The color display looks amazing, and the “unstretched” - classic sized display is the way to go. I had an original Bally version of this game and even on the CE the sound / speakers are a huge upgrade in comparison. Bonus that the CE, the one I wanted was actually less than the other two that offered things I didn’t care for (oversized display, light up speakers, painted trim). I’m all-in for about $6500 for a NIB game with the two factory mods.

#7220 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

So... weird situation. I’m waiting on my color chip to arrive, but my main ship is already “interactive” and changing colors. I actually can’t set it to just a single color.

Odd. My CE was red only prior to the chip swap.

#7221 4 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

... in my opinion, with the standard sized display it just looks right to me. The color display looks amazing, and the “unstretched” - classic sized display is the way to go

To me, the new supersized display is awesome - wouldn't want anything else
They did an incredible job integrating it size wise and with the color graphics - I hope they offer it on all their remakes

#7222 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

To me, the new supersized display is awesome - wouldn't want anything else
They did an incredible job integrating it size wise and with the color graphics - I hope they offer it on all their remakes

That is great. I can see the appeal. For me, and my collection, it fits right in with the classic size. Probably the same reason I was never interested in a JJP game. That huge TV on the backbox is quite unattractive to me and takes away where there could be so much great artwork. Nice that these games CGC retain the art and include a large display option as well.

#7223 4 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

That is great. I can see the appeal. For me, and my collection, it fits right in with the classic size. Probably the same reason I was never interested in a JJP game. That huge TV on the backbox is quite unattractive to me and takes away where there could be so much great artwork. Nice that these games CGC retain the art and include a large display option as well.

I’m with you on the actual TV screens on pins—don’t like that trend at all! But the oversized DMD on my AFMrLE is awesome!! If I could upgrade all my other DMD games to that size screen, I would.

#7224 4 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

I’m with you on the actual TV screens on pins—don’t like that trend at all! But the oversized DMD on my AFMrLE is awesome!! If I could upgrade all my other DMD games to that size screen, I would.

I think Stern nailed it with the latest LCD pins. Perfect size. Shows plenty of information while retaining a large backbox art. JJP is just too much.

#7225 4 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

I think Stern nailed it with the latest LCD pins. Perfect size. Shows plenty of information while retaining a large backbox art. JJP is just too much.

It’s pretty easy to get used to the JJP screens. Don’t be put off.

#7226 4 years ago

Anyone have this problem, looking for some help. The L. gate is getting hung up on the metal rail, and the ball gets stuck under the gate during game play.

It launches fine for the skill shot, it makes it around the arch fine.

Thanks in advance, I will keep searching this thread also.

afm 1 (resized).jpgafm 1 (resized).jpg
#7227 4 years ago
Quoted from kingpinman:

The L. gate is getting hung up on the metal rail, and the ball gets stuck under the gate during game play.

Loosen the screws holding the gate bracket to the playfield and turn a little and retighten.

Bend end of it not fastened down, up a little.

LTG : )

#7228 4 years ago

My left flipper is noticably lower when in the up position than the right one. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary in the down position. I assume this is something easy to fix but could use some help diagnosing it. Does this mean the coil is dying and needs to be replaced?

#7229 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

My left flipper is noticably lower when in the up position than the right one. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary in the down position. I assume this is something easy to fix but could use some help diagnosing it. Does this mean the coil is dying and needs to be replaced?

Doubt it. Try this first...

#7230 4 years ago
Quoted from kingpinman:

Anyone have this problem, looking for some help. The L. gate is getting hung up on the metal rail, and the ball gets stuck under the gate during game play.
It launches fine for the skill shot, it makes it around the arch fine.
Thanks in advance, I will keep searching this thread also.[quoted image]

I thought mine was doing this as well since it was stopping at the left gate. It actually was the ball guide sticking out too far just behind the ball gate. Loosened screws and pushed it in a little.

#7231 4 years ago

Has anyone bought the orange plastic protectors from Cointaker? I'm about to pick up an AFMr LE next week and was wondering what those might look like in action. I'm either going to get those or the green ones from pinbits.

#7232 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Has anyone bought the orange plastic protectors from Cointaker? I'm about to pick up an AFMr LE next week and was wondering what those might look like in action. I'm either going to get those or the green ones from pinbits.

I ordered the green protectors from Pinbits. Think the green fit the game nicely! They kind of glow with the game off as well!

IMG_1672 (resized).jpgIMG_1672 (resized).jpgIMG_1673.JPG.pdfIMG_1673.JPG.pdf
#7233 4 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

I ordered the green protectors from Pinbits. Think the green fit the game nicely! They kind of glow with the game off as well![quoted image][quoted image]

I ordered those as well (from Pinbits) and went to install this past weekend. How were you able to install and still place the screws/nuts back on? The protectors were so thick that I was barely able to get a thread to turn on, and in some places the screws weren't long enough to reinstall. I would love to have these on, but don't see how it is possible.

#7234 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

When I ordered my set from Cointaker (June 2017), the protector set came with two orange and two green protectors...

2FD9B9C9-DD7C-4ACE-ACAE-C51A8284B066 (resized).jpeg2FD9B9C9-DD7C-4ACE-ACAE-C51A8284B066 (resized).jpeg97EA6C98-16E1-4766-A2AC-F3485FAD7C23 (resized).jpeg97EA6C98-16E1-4766-A2AC-F3485FAD7C23 (resized).jpeg
#7235 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I ordered those as well (from Pinbits) and went to install this past weekend. How were you able to install and still place the screws/nuts back on? The protectors were so thick that I was barely able to get a thread to turn on, and in some places the screws weren't long enough to reinstall. I would love to have these on, but don't see how it is possible.

Had the same problem with the ones I ordered from Mezel Mods. Ending up returning them

#7236 4 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Had the same problem with the ones I ordered from Mezel Mods. Ending up returning them

Thanks for the comment. Curious how others have actually installed these? I've seen them on several machines, but without ordering longer posts/screws as well, I don't see how it is possible.

#7237 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

When I ordered my set from Cointaker (June 2017), the protector set came with two orange and two green protectors...[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh interesting. Their site only has orange as a drop-down option. So the trough plastics are orange and slings are green?

#7238 4 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Quoted from maffewl:

Thanks for the comment. Curious how others have actually installed these? I've seen them on several machines, but without ordering longer posts/screws as well, I don't see how it is possible.

I have them installed on my game and they look amazing. There isn't a lot of extra 'post' to screw down the stock nuts. So what you can do is purchase low profile nuts which is about half the size of the originals and allow you to get the nut to lock without a issue. I had extra from a previous restore but places like Pinball Life and others sell them-very common part. They also have color versions of the nuts to match any looks you want to create.

#7239 4 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

I ordered the green protectors from Pinbits. Think the green fit the game nicely! They kind of glow with the game off as well![quoted image][quoted image]

Those look great!

#7240 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Pinball life sells longer (taller) post.

#7241 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Pinball life sells longer (taller) post.

Thanks all. I've ordered taller posts from Pinballlife as well as some low-profile nuts per the links below. I just wasn't sure if people were somehow able to accomplish this without these replacement parts.

https://www.pinballlife.com/machine-poststud-530-5008-00.html
ebay.com link: Team Associated 8 32 Steel Low Profile Locknut 6 ASC6953

#7242 4 years ago

If you remove the washers that were originally under the plastics after you add the protectors, there was enough post to screw the locknuts into and be secure, or at least that's what I've found on my AFMr and my MBr. Buying longer posts does solve any potential problem though.

#7243 4 years ago

Anyone have issues where the screen is blank on boot up? It is intermittent and has happened about 3 times over the last few weeks.

A35C64C2-0F24-4098-810E-D4DBE5070311 (resized).jpegA35C64C2-0F24-4098-810E-D4DBE5070311 (resized).jpeg
#7244 4 years ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

the screen is blank on boot up?

Please turn the game off. Reseat all cables to LCD and from it to the board in the head. See if things improve.

#7245 4 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find a left saucer plastic (image attached) available for purchase? I like to have replacements on hand if ever needed, but can only find the right one.

Left Saucer Plastic (resized).jpgLeft Saucer Plastic (resized).jpg
#7246 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I like to have replacements on hand if ever needed, but can only find the right one.

You'll probably have to buy the whole set.

#7247 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You'll probably have to buy the whole set.

Dang. That stinks. Not really into dropping ~$130 for backups. Thanks though for the advice, LTG.

#7248 4 years ago

I played AFMr on location, this past weekend, not that familiar with the game. Is it unlike MM/MMr in that during multiball, you cannot advance the central saucer 3 bank with hits? Seemed like that although I could be mistaken. In MMr, the central strategy is to hit the castle during multiball to advance the number of castles crushed.

#7249 4 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I played AFMr on location, this past weekend, not that familiar with the game. Is it unlike MM/MMr in that during multiball, you cannot advance the central saucer 3 bank with hits?

That's correct. Trick is to have shield down before starting MB.

#7250 4 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

That's correct. Trick is to have shield down before starting MB.

Thanks for the reply. So even as explained, having the shield down (the 3 bank?) before multiball only allows you to work on the current saucer city, you cannot say get 2 saucers during any one multiball like MMr lets you endlessly work on the castles. Appreciated the reply thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 210.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.00
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/145?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.