Topic Stats

• 7,598 posts
  • 482 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 229 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,309 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1167033B-1B34-4497-9F27-B118FABFAC37 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2888.JPG
IMG_2887.JPG
IMG_2880.JPG
IMG_2881.JPG
wops.gif
IMG_2877.JPG
wps.gif
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2878.JPG
JP (resized).jpg
IMG_2871 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
15D7D503-2098-4ED4-862D-A6CD02C3B2C2.jpeg
E88C5746-21AA-4E80-8AA5-2C112166F607.jpeg
48200C27-701D-460A-95BC-2FE2201164C1.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7598 posts in this topic. You are on page 143 of 152.
#7101 3 months ago
Quoted from Cobray:

So a friend of mine just bought an AFMr-LE sight unseen, it was kind of a strange deal (pin was sold and flipped twice in a week, seller claimed he bought a AFMr Standard and that was his reason for selling so quick) but the guy he bought it from threw out some big names for references and swore the game was mint with less than 100 plays. The seller threw some tactics at him that I will not get into here, but I can tell you it was kind of crazy. He didn't want to post but agreed to let me post this up to get people's opinion on the playfield and how to move forward.
The game arrived and this is what the playfield looks like, look at the inserts and playfield :
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

At least the lasers and fire beams aren't flesh colored. It could be worse...

#7102 3 months ago
Quoted from Cobray:

So a friend of mine just bought an AFMr-LE sight unseen, it was kind of a strange deal (pin was sold and flipped twice in a week, seller claimed he bought a AFMr Standard and that was his reason for selling so quick) but the guy he bought it from threw out some big names for references and swore the game was mint with less than 100 plays. The seller threw some tactics at him that I will not get into here, but I can tell you it was kind of crazy. He didn't want to post but agreed to let me post this up to get people's opinion on the playfield and how to move forward.
The game arrived and this is what the playfield looks like, look at the inserts and playfield :
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Game looks ok.
Play the f#ck out of it.
Bust it up.
Fix it.
Play some more.

Its pinball.

#7103 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Game looks ok.
Play the f#ck out of it.
Bust it up.
Fix it.
Play some more.
Its pinball.

That playfield is not "OK" for a 1-2 year old "LE" that was sold for top dollar as "Mint" with "low plays".

You're crazy IMO. But when it's dealing with someone elses problem, it doesn't seem as bad does it. I've been in a bad spot like this before (mis-represented game with a BS story behind it) and it's not a good position to be in.

I'd be going all the way through to make this right if I was holding it right now, I can tell you that. I thought Chicago Gaming prided themselves in the quality of playfields, more so than any other manufacturer? If they don't make this right, I'll be giving my MMr purchase a second thought (I have one on order due for next month).

#7104 3 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

At least the lasers and fire beams aren't flesh colored. It could be worse...

I think both would be bad, and to be honest, the way those inserts are settling I think this is worse and has the most potential for unusual wear and tear on the playfield going forward.

#7105 3 months ago

Hey all. Hoping to join the club soon with a NIB classic.

Apologies if this is elsewhere, but I did a quick search and couldn't find it.

Do the protectors for an original AFM work for the AFMr as well? And if so, which ones are preferred?

#7106 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Do the protectors for an original AFM work for the AFMr as well?

Yes.

LTG : )

#7107 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

That playfield is not "OK" for a 1-2 year old "LE" that was sold for top dollar as "Mint" with "low plays".
You're crazy IMO. But when it's dealing with someone elses problem, it doesn't seem as bad does it. I've been in a bad spot like this before (mis-represented game with a BS story behind it) and it's not a good position to be in.
I'd be going all the way through to make this right if I was holding it right now, I can tell you that. I thought Chicago Gaming prided themselves in the quality of playfields, more so than any other manufacturer? If they don't make this right, I'll be giving my MMr purchase a second thought (I have one on order due for next month).

This is not CGCs issue. CGC have been clear they will only apply warranty to new machines for original owners. The issue lies with the buyer for not inspecting the machine before purchase. A second hand game is a second hand game, buy as is.

I personally think the playfield is ok. The ribbing is extremely hard to see in normal light, once the playfield dimples it hides the ribbing anyway.

Maybe you could read all the warranty clauses from CGC before you buy the game so you understand what you are covered for and what you are not. It would definitely make things a lot easier for you. All new games are far from perfect. Ribbing, insert crazing, decals cracking and other playfield and cabinet issues have always been around.

#7108 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

What if the PF looked perfect when it left the factory and the inserts shifted/contracted at a different rate?

#7109 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Either way. It's an awesome game.

Anyone who gets one is fortunate.

I'm never getting rid if mine.

I dont baby it, I play it.

Play it hard as it was designed to.

Now, get back to the battle soldier!

#7110 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

This is not CGCs issue. CGC have been clear they will only apply warranty to new machines for original owners. The issue lies with the buyer for not inspecting the machine before purchase. A second hand game is a second hand game, buy as is.
I personally think the playfield is ok. The ribbing is extremely hard to see in normal light, once the playfield dimples it hides the ribbing anyway.
Maybe you could read all the warranty clauses from CGC before you buy the game so you understand what you are covered for and what you are not. It would definitely make things a lot easier for you. All new games are far from perfect. Ribbing, insert crazing, decals cracking and other playfield and cabinet issues have always been around.

I think you're confused, this isn't my game. I'm only providing my input.

So with saying the playfield is OK, you would accept this during a sale of the machine with no negative consideration towards price? Just curious.

If you say this is NOT CGC's issue, then I ask you this- Why is it that, over 10+ years of Stern ownership, including games that I have owned 10+ years or more (LOTR, TSPP, etc.), do I not have one Stern (or even JJP) that has this issue? If this is "normal" for a playfield to do this, shouldn't other Pinball companies playfields exhibit this "normal" behavior?

Again, I'm playing devil's advocate and trying to place myself in the shoes of the person who owns this machine.

Let's do a poll here, how many here, upon inspection, have an AFMr (LE or not) that has this issue (I believe too little clearcoat and evident settling).

And again, I speak with my wallet. If you're telling me that CGC doesn't care about their quality control, then why should I pay $8K plus shipping for my upcoming MMr?

#7111 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Either way. It's an awesome game.
Play it hard as it was designed to.
Now, get back to the battle soldier!

I agree brother, play it and be happy!

#7112 3 months ago

The playfield has planking and shrinkage of the clear. No different than most Totans ive seen. Its been well documented. Pm Kruzman, Hep or Captain Neo as they are the experts and will tell you or your buddy this can happen. It does sound like buyers remorse my question always is where in the hell did peoples common sense go? Spend roughly 8k sight unseen is just Stupid.

#7113 3 months ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

The playfield has planking and shrinkage of the clear. No different than most Totans ive seen. Its been well documented. Pm Kruzman, Hep or Captain Neo as they are the experts and will tell you or your buddy this can happen. It does sound like buyers remorse my question always is where in the hell did peoples common sense go? Spend roughly 8k sight unseen is just Stupid.

It was a trust thing, unfortunately.

I’ve never seen this kind of problem in a game that wasn’t heavily routed and about 20 years old!

#7114 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

So with saying the playfield is OK, you would accept this during a sale of the machine with no negative consideration towards price? Just curious.
If you say this is NOT CGC's issue, then I ask you this- Why is it that, over 10+ years of Stern ownership, including games that I have owned 10+ years or more (LOTR, TSPP, etc.), do I not have one Stern (or even JJP) that has this issue? If this is "normal" for a playfield to do this, shouldn't other Pinball companies playfields exhibit this "normal" behavior?
Again, I'm playing devil's advocate and trying to place myself in the shoes of the person who owns this machine.
Let's do a poll here, how many here, upon inspection, have an AFMr (LE or not) that has this issue (I believe too little clearcoat and evident settling).
And again, I speak with my wallet. If you're telling me that CGC doesn't care about their quality control, then why should I pay $8K plus shipping for my upcoming MMr?

I understand the the game is not yours. All good here!
The game you are talking about is not new. It is used and the warranty expired once the original owner sold it. Why should CGC accept any warranty claim?

We have always resolved any NIB issues with the manufacturer. We have had our fair share of issues and some take longer to resolve than others, everything has always worked out. We are reasonable too. Sometimes people set their expectations of a new game too high.

We have MMr and AFMrLE. Both playfields have a little bit of planking and MMr inserts have a little crazing. We are good with it. The only place it is an issue is Pinside

#7115 3 months ago

So since NiftyLED isn’t in business anymore, is there still a way to get the cool white LEDs? I installed the fluorescent green protectors a few days ago and they look more yellow than green to me and I’m wondering if the fact that the game is using the warm whites is causing that since they give off a yellowish light as opposed to the slightly blue tint of the cool white.

#7116 3 months ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

So since NiftyLED isn’t in business anymore, is there still a way to get the cool white LEDs?

Comet bought out NiftyLED so I would check with them on availability.

#7117 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

My LOTR playfield has lots of ribbing. *shrug*

#7118 3 months ago

I checked my AFMr LE and there is a very slight hint of this ribbing on the PF, and the inserts have just a slight outline around them.

#7119 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I think you have been very lucky to never have an issue with an PFs for so long. Natural products are absolutely unique and things can and do happen. FWIW, I have owned all 3 remakes, all 3 have had beautiful playfields. A number of my friends also own CGC remakes and theirs are beautiful, too. It’s of course your call, but I wouldn’t worry to much about it.

#7120 3 months ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

So since NiftyLED isn’t in business anymore, is there still a way to get the cool white LEDs? I installed the fluorescent green protectors a few days ago and they look more yellow than green to me and I’m wondering if the fact that the game is using the warm whites is causing that since they give off a yellowish light as opposed to the slightly blue tint of the cool white.

Natural white from Comet is very similar to cool white. CGC put warm leds to simulate the incandescent look from the original, is my understanding. Order a few and see if you like the color temperature in your AFMr!

#7121 3 months ago

How significant is the audio quality difference between the CE and SE/LE? Is it just a speaker upgrade? Presumably I could just upgrade the speakers down the line if I picked up a CE and wanted higher quality audio

#7122 3 months ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Natural white from Comet is very similar to cool white. CGC put warm leds to simulate the incandescent look from the original, is my understanding. Order a few and see if you like the color temperature in your AFMr!

These won't work as the bulbs on AMFr have a different base.

#7123 3 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

These won't work as the bulbs on AMFr have a different base.

Yeah I have checked Comet and didn’t see the specific bulbs for the remakes on there.

#7124 3 months ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Yeah I have checked Comet and didn’t see the specific bulbs for the remakes on there.

Same. I remember that when they bought NiftyLED they said they would continue to carry the bulbs. I'd email and see what the scoop is.

#7125 3 months ago
Quoted from atrainn:

How significant is the audio quality difference between the CE and SE/LE? Is it just a speaker upgrade? Presumably I could just upgrade the speakers down the line if I picked up a CE and wanted higher quality audio

I have a CE and I was blown away by the sound. At max, I keep it at 3 and it is very, very loud and clear with tons of bass. Very happy with the standard CE speakers.

#7126 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Hey all. Hoping to join the club soon with a NIB classic.
Apologies if this is elsewhere, but I did a quick search and couldn't find it.
Do the protectors for an original AFM work for the AFMr as well? And if so, which ones are preferred?

I installed Cliffy's on my AFMr SE on the Stroke of Luck hole. The ball would not launch properly after install. I removed them and all is good again. I stupidly left the factory protector in the game however. So I may give it another go. YMMV

#7127 3 months ago
Quoted from dugmar:

I have a CE and I was blown away by the sound. At max, I keep it at 3 and it is very, very loud and clear with tons of bass. Very happy with the standard CE speakers.

I agree with this, I was surprised at how good the sound is on my CE. And how loud it is.

Normally when I am just playing by myself in an otherwise quiet room, I have it set at 1. When I really want to go crazy and let it all hang out, I crank that baby up to 2.

That said, I don't have an SE to compare with it. I've only played the SE at shows, where you certainly can't judge the sound.

#7128 3 months ago
Quoted from dugmar:

I installed Cliffy's on my AFMr SE on the Stroke of Luck hole. The ball would not launch properly after install. I removed them and all is good again. I stupidly left the factory protector in the game however. So I may give it another go. YMMV

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. I purchased a set of Cliffys made specifically for the remake. I'm ordering a Classic, so I don't believe that it will have the CGC mantis style ones already installed. Even if it did, I planned to remove them for Cliffys.

#7129 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. I purchased a set of Cliffys made specifically for the remake. I'm ordering a Classic, so I don't believe that it will have the CGC mantis style ones already installed. Even if it did, I planned to remove them for Cliffys.

I have the CE and it has the Mantis protectors installed, and a good amount of mylar around the spots prone to wear. I think I may just keep it that way as I am not a fan of the artwork being covered up. Plus I hate the idea of pounding out the post from the playfield again.

#7130 3 months ago

The plan is to have mine on play for a show (SFGE) in Atlanta. Would you have any concerns about leaving it as stock? I've purchased the Cliffys but can return if I'm being overly cautious.

#7131 3 months ago

Also, for those that have installed Cliffys. What is the issue with the posts? Are they really that difficult to remove? I was planning to install them before a show, but how much time should I target for the installation?

#7132 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Also, for those that have installed Cliffys. What is the issue with the posts? Are they really that difficult to remove? I was planning to install them before a show, but how much time should I target for the installation?

I wouldn't say it's the easiest install of protectors, but it's not terrible. You have to take a bunch of stuff apart to get to the space ship ball holes and Target bank.

For me, the toughest one was the SOL hole. The back part of it is still not flush, and I have to eventually take it apart and try to get it level with the pf to avoid balls getting stuck there.

Just take your time, take photos, and it should go smoothly.

Also, make sure to ask Cliffy about the ball lock Cliffy. Him and I worked on that one together, and it saved my game from massive chipping.

#7133 3 months ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I wouldn't say it's the easiest install of protectors, but it's not terrible. You have to take a bunch of stuff apart to get to the space ship ball holes and Target bank.
For me, the toughest one was the SOL hole. The back part of it is still not flush, and I have to eventually take it apart and try to get it level with the pf to avoid balls getting stuck there.
Just take your time, take photos, and it should go smoothly.
Also, make sure to ask Cliffy about the ball lock Cliffy. Him and I worked on that one together, and it saved my game from massive chipping.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a photo of yours where it is not flush? Also, I ordered the full set of Cliffys including the lock, shooter eject, and drain.

#7134 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a photo of yours where it is not flush? Also, I ordered the full set of Cliffys including the lock, shooter eject, and drain.

Might take me a bit to get a photo, but the advice I can offer is to just go slow, and DO NOT tighten too much or it will bend the metal protectors.

Just take your time and look at the protectors closely as you tighten things.

Good luck

#7135 3 months ago

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

For any of the CE owners, does it come with leg protectors stock?

#7136 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

For any of the CE owners, does it come with leg protectors stock?

Yes. All the remakes do in each trim line.

#7137 3 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Yes. All the remakes do in each trim line.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply! Sorry to bombard with questions, just have to make a few orders for another pinball that I'm restoring and figured I'd add to it if needed.

#7138 3 months ago

Installing a shaker motor in my CE this weekend. It should be here today. Any idea if a software update is needed or is this just a PNP? Thanks.

#7139 3 months ago

Plug and play

Quoted from dugmar:

Installing a shaker motor in my CE this weekend. It should be here today. Any idea if a software update is needed or is this just a PNP? Thanks.

#7140 3 months ago
Quoted from dugmar:

PNP. You can adjust it in the CGC menu.

#7141 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

The plan is to have mine on play for a show (SFGE) in Atlanta.

Mine was a show deal game so was played for 3 days and about a total of 540 games. It still looked brand new at the end of the show.

I did buy the cliffy set but I see no need to install at the moment, after 1200 games still looks perfect. Will keep the cliffys for insurance.

#7142 3 months ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Mine was a show deal game so was played for 3 days and about a total of 540 games. It still looked brand new at the end of the show.
I did buy the cliffy set but I see no need to install at the moment, after 1200 games still looks perfect. Will keep the cliffys for insurance.

Looked brand new, with no dimples? I ask because mine has a lot of dimples with fewer games than that.

#7143 3 months ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Stroke of Luck will chip and once it does you can't undo it. I'd put the cliffy at least on that now.

#7144 3 months ago

My boy is hooked.

2BC8A231-8BA3-4A5B-AD41-C1F3E860F1AA (resized).jpeg
#7145 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

PNP. You can adjust it in the CGC menu.

Thank you, as always (going back to the rec.games.pinball days). It’s in and working perfectly. Nice subtle addition to the game. Next is color display upgrade and I’m done.

#7146 3 months ago
Quoted from dugmar:

Next is color display upgrade and I’m done.

Note the mark on the chip and the mark on the board. Get them in the right spot. ( in case you didn't know )

#7147 3 months ago

Do the Bally/Williams pinball side mirrors work on an AFMr CE? I have some that I was going to install on a T2 but sold that long ago.

#7148 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Do the Bally/Williams pinball side mirrors work on an AFMr CE? I have some that I was going to install on a T2 but sold that long ago.

yes, they should fit.

#7149 3 months ago

Does the DMD color upgrade on the CE also allow the main saucer to have red, blue, and green lights instead of just red?

#7150 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Does the DMD color upgrade on the CE also allow the main saucer to have red, blue, and green lights instead of just red?

No

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Winchester, VA
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 7598 posts in this topic. You are on page 143 of 152.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside